Chapter 10

Opposites Attract

Kyungsoo has only ever kissed one person in his life. Well, till Baekhyun happened. The infamous first love of Kyungsoo. He can never forget the girl who simultaneously made him feel like the luckiest man on earth as well as the worst boyfriend ever. He can’t entirely blame her. He tends to get quite clingy with people he loves. But not anymore. Hopefully. He tried very hard to keep that side of him hidden away. He doesn’t want a repeat of that.

Now, back to the issue, Kyungsoo doesn’t know what to think of Baekhyun. Just when he thought he was getting a hang of how the latter’s mind works, he does something incomprehensible. He isn’t angry at the kiss. Not really. He is just angry at Baekhyun for kissing him for something so stupid. And at how that one kiss is making him feel so confused. He never imagined he’d like men. He always just assumed he’s straight since he was never attracted to other men. So, imagine his surprise when he realized he didn’t hate the kiss with Baekhyun. Or dare he say, liked it.

Or maybe it’s just a Baekhyun thing. ‘I guess I am kinda attracted to Baek’ he decides as his thoughts end. He is surprised he is taking the news of his uality so well. Well, to be quite honest, it took him a whole week to accept it. A whole 7 days of unexplained isolation while also making sure no one suspected anything. He is proud to say his acting has improved thanks to the impromptu performances.

“Why are you avoiding Baekhyun?” Chanyeol interrupts his inner monologue. Okay, maybe his acting still needs work.

“What makes you think I’m avoiding him?” Kyungsoo raises his eyebrow at Chanyeol, his tone nonchalant.

“You make up excuses to leave the room whenever you see Baekhyun! I’m quite surprised at the sheer amount of excuses you made up to be honest” Chanyeol folds his hands condescendingly. “Is this because of the kiss?” he asks after a few seconds of silence, his right brow raised.

“Wha- How do you know about that?” Kyungsoo splutters, flabbergasted.

“So it is about that!” Chanyeol points a finger in Kyungsoo’s face. “And, uh… Baekhyun told me about it. And…uh…also about Jongdae” he continues, head down, later muttering something along the lines of ‘stupid’ and ‘plan’.

“Uh…yeah. I’m uh… I’m not really avoiding Baekhyun” Kyungsoo cringes at how unconvincing he sounds.

“You like him!” Chanyeol exclaims after a few seconds of staring at Kyungsoo, eyes wide and mouth slightly parted. Yes, he does.

But Kyungsoo is not the type of person to dwell on unattainable problems. He is happy for Chen and Baekhyun. He really is, despite the small uncomfortable feeling in the pit of his stomach. So, he just shakes his head at Chanyeol’s tall figure.

“Don’t jump into conclusions based on something so trivial, Chanyeol” he reprimands the taller as he makes his way to his room. Chanyeol stares at him in silent skepticism.

 

“Kyungsoo! Come join us for lunch” Jongdae’s voice startled Kyungsoo out of his sleepy state. Sitting straighter, he looked at Jongdae dragging Baekhyun to the couch. Kyungsoo eyed their intertwined hands breaking free as they sat on either side of him. Clutching his movie script tighter in his hands, he turned to Jongdae. “Sorry Dae, I have to practice. You guys go ahead, enjoy your date”.

“Nonsense, you need to eat anyway. So, don’t be a spoilsport and come join us! I promise you won’t be a third wheel!” Jongdae winked at him. “Right Baek?” he asked, leaning forward to face Baekhyun.

“Y-yeah, you should come, Soo. It’s been a while since we had a meal together” Baekhyun says, making Kyungsoo turn to look at him. He continues to stare for a couple of seconds, trying to see if he really means it.

“Are you feeling hot?” Kyungsoo asks at last, noticing Baekhyun’s red cheeks. Jongdae bursts out in laughter.

“Yes Baek, are you feeling hot? Do you need some water to quench that thirst of yours?” Jongdae winks as Baekhyun glares at him, face even redder.

“No! I’m fine, I…I just took the stairs” Baekhyun says, smiling a little at Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo nods, turning back to Jongdae. “Okay, but I will cook. You guys eat out too often” he says as he gets up to head to the kitchen. “And you both will help” he declares immediately, eliciting a groan from Jongdae. Baekhyun doesn’t object, to Kyungsoo’s surprise.

 

“’So, when did this happen?” Kyungsoo asks, waving at them both as he gets out the ingredients for his dish.

“One month!” says Baekhyun at the same time as Jongdae’s “Two months”. Kyungsoo turns to look at them, confusion etched on his face. Baekhyun looks at Jongdae, shock evident on his face when Jongdae’s voice draws Kyungsoo’s attention. “I have asked him out two months back and Baek agreed only a month later! Can you believe him? It took him a month to appreciate this piece of gem!” he exclaims in mock horror as he points to himself. Kyungsoo chuckles, turning back to his ingredients.

“Prepare the rice, Baek. I don’t want you anywhere near the stove after the fiasco last time” Kyungsoo shudders as he recollects the state of his kitchen when Baekhyun tried to cook.

“That was one time! I do not ruin everything I touch!” Baekhyun whines, a pout forming naturally.

“Do I need to remind you about what you did to my bathroom?” Kyungsoo retorts, a brow raised. Baekhyun laughs sheepishly, making his way to the rice without another word. Jongdae chuckles. “Oh Baek, you are adorable!” he coos as he goes to back hug Baekhyun.

Kyungsoo doesn’t know why his grip on the radish he was cutting tightened. Trying to ignore the sinking feeling in his heart, he continued making lunch, ordering the couple to help occasionally.

He isn’t hungry anymore. Baekhyun even questioned him about his food intake and the unnatural silence (Even for him). Kyungsoo shook his head with an excuse and got up to head to his room before them despite Baekhyun’s concerned looks. Curiously, Jongdae kept smirking at him all through lunch. Kyungsoo ignored his looks, mind preoccupied with a dreaded feeling.