Chapter 5

Heart in Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 5

 

“Lunch is ready” the ajumma sauntered in the living room. She thought she was seeing statues since no one was moving until Yonghwa spoke “Let’s eat! I’m famished!”

Yumi hooked her arms with Haneul and looked at her questionly while the older girl just shrugged. Joohyun was so surprised by the amount of food laid on the table

“Wow! This is a feast!” as she scanned each viand.

Yonghwa pulled a chair for her “I don’t know what Yumi likes so we have American, Japanese, Italian and Korean food available”

“You didn’t have!” Joohyun exclaimed still in awe

“Yes Mr. Jung I practically eat anything and everything”

“Then try to finish all these so that ajumma’s feelings won’t get hurt” he winked at her and she giggled and in her most natural Korean accent she looks at the old lady at the door “Thank you for all these ajumma, I’ll eat it heartily”

“Your welcome Agassi”

They were passing the dishes and was laughing at Yumi’s sob story about her break up with her boyfriend

“men are hopeless” she commented

“And why is that?” Yonghwa asked

“Men run at the first sight of trouble!”

“of course not!” he defended

“Seriously? Then why did my boyfriend of 3 years broke up with me just because he can’t handle a long distance relatiohsip?”

“He’s a ……..OMG! I’m sorry that came out wrong!” Joohyun turned red as she mentally scolded herself

“MOM!!” Yumi exclaimed as she, Haneul and Yonghwa laughed out loud.

“Wow Joohyun I didn’t know you were that feisty” Yonghwa

“I am not! I’m sorry that boy doesn’t deserve that, well he does actually since he broke my Yumi’s heart but still, kids, no using that kind of language anywhere” she looked at the two girls who were still laughing to their hearts content.

“Geez mom chill!”

“Well people should know, anyone messes with my princess they mess with momma bear”

 “I know but oh well he’s gone. Never to return” she smiled weakly

Haneul tapped her shoulders lightly “there’s a lot of men out there and you’re young”

“You are both young” Yonghwa interjected

“Dad”

“I like Siwon I really do but try to enjoy your youth for yourself”

“What and not be like you who married young?”

Joohyun who was in the mmiddle of drinking choke while Yonghwa laughed “I never regretted that decision, I love your mother and we had you”

“Meaning it’s okay?” Haneul smiled widely

“Meaning it’s okay..to wait for the right time” Yonghwa reminded her

“Wow you married early Mr. Jung? My mom did also, maybe early marriages were really a thing back then” Yumi thought out loud

Joohuyn was already jabbing her chest because she was still coughing “mom are you okay?”

And she just gave a thumbs up.

The rest of the luncheon was uneventful until they heard someone come in. All eyes went to the entrance of the dining room and there stood Kim Sun Mi. Yonghwas mother who has her jaw almost at the floor at the sight that she saw. Joohyun automatically held on to Yumi’s hand and looked down. Yonghwa’s jaw tensed as he stood up

“Mother, I didn’t know you were coming” his tone was icy cold. Ever since he found out what his parents, especially his mother, did little by little his affection decreased. The only time they spoke is if it’s about Haneul. They seldom drop by their house but if they do it’s to take Haneul out or to drop off some food and gifts for their grandchild.

“I didn’t know you have visitors” her chin up, one of her brows arch high. She recognized the voice even from afar. The voice of the woman that ruined all her plans for her son.

“I don’t think theres a need for you to know if I’m having visitors over or not” he replied.

Yumi felt her mother tense the minute the old woman came in. Basing on the peoples reaction, the old lady is not likable. Her mom stood up and bowed

“Annyeonghaseyo. It has been a long time”

And Yumi followed suite, she bowed and greeted.

Haneul also greeted her grandmother

“So what’s this a reunion”

“Eomma. Please” Yonghwa looked at his mother angrily

“What? She’s here” her gaze directed at Joohyun “And who’s the girl that she’s with, her daughter from her new man?”

Joohyun turned red in anger, she stood up and look venomously at the elder “We were just leaving”

Yonghwa held on to her hand “No stay, Haneuls grandmother is now leaving”

“Who said I was leaving? I’m here to take my granddaughter out for shopping”

Haneul just smiled at her grandmother “I’m sorry halmoni but we have visitors, I can go with you some other time”

“Ah so that’s how it’s gonna be huh? This woman returns and you two shoved me aside?”

Yumi who was trying to get some words in her head turned cold as she saw the lividness in her mothers eyes as she looked at the old lady “Mom let’s leave. Please. I don’t like it here”

“We will honey let’s go”

As Yumi stood Yonghwa pleaded in english “No please stay, she will leave”

“Ah so she doesn’t understand Korean? A clueless child”

Yonghwa slammed his hand on the table “I will not let you speak of her like that”

“What? You don’t even know who that child is”

“Haneul, Yumi, can you please go to your room first, I have something to settle with your grandmother”

Haneul who was weighing all her options “No dad I think it’s okay for us to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter