London, or One Month After New York

New York, London...Maybe, Tokyo

Baekhyun sat at his desk, yawning as the minutes ticked by ever so slowly. He wanted to take a break, but he had already taken two that morning and knew he would never get anything else done if he took another break. He groaned and slammed the lid of his laptop shut, frustrated by his own lack of focus. Then, he picked up his phone and sent a text to Jongdae before throwing his phone back onto his desk. The text was short and it read, 'Bored! Need inspiration. Help me!'

Restlessness was the best way to describe Baekhyun's current state of being. Since he returned to Seoul nearly a month ago from his very brief New York vacation. He had spent the first few days back in his apartment, ignoring phone calls, not showering and eating as much junk food as he could find.

When he finally ran out of food that could be cooked in the microwave around day nine of his return, he ventured out to the store and found Jongdae sitting outside his door upon his return. Baekhyun grumbled, but let Jongdae in any way. They talked, awkwardly at first, Jongdae being careful about stepping on eggshells, before finally hitting the thesis of the chat. And then, Baekhyun broke down in tears while Jongdae consoled his best friend.

 

Six days. It was six days later when Jongdae finally left Baekhyun by himself again and Baekhyun had felt better than he did before the break-up. Except for right now. Now, he was struggling. His mind continuing to do loops around the same idea and Jongdae, best friend that he was, was not answering his goddamn phone.

As if his phone could feel him struggling, it buzzed, and Baekhyun leaped for his desk to grab it. He could hear Jongdae's sarcasm dripping off every word of the text. 'How can you be bored. You are a YouTuber for a living. You run a travel YouTube page. Take a trip. Go somewhere. Your followers will thank you.'

'Brilliant!' he thought. 'Why didn't I think of that?'

He phone buzzed again. 'You were still thinking about the house fire that was the New York trip,' the text read.

His eyes widened and he quickly sent back a text that read, 'You need to stay out of my head. I mean it. But thanks for the idea.' Then, he sat down at his computer, cracked his knuckles and his camera.

"Hey there everyone!" He said into the camera in front of him. "It's your Baekhyunnie! This video is gonna be a little short. It's kind of a surprise. I wasn't going to post anything today. I know I haven't been doing a lot of actual traveling for a bit. Since my New York trip, right? I'm sorry I didn't get to see anyone while in New York and that I didn't make a video of my trip. I was a mess. You wouldn't have wanted to see me anyway. Well, it's time for a change! Where do you want me to go? Leave a comment below in the place, you know the place, and I'll start planning out my next adventure! Hope to see you around the world!"

Baekhyun switched the camera off, not bothering to review the footage, he brought it straight into Final Cut, threw his opener on the video, exported and then uploaded it to YouTube with the title, "Where in the world is Baekhyun?". His followers would be happy to see him no matter is the video was highly polished or not.

The first comment appeared beneath the video within two minutes of it being uploaded. 'Bangkok' it read. Baekhyun smiled and began his research into one of his fans suggestions.

 

"Are you sure you want to go to London?" Jongdae asked over the sound of a screaming kettle. He flopped down on Baekhyun's couch with a small pint of ice cream clearly stolen from Baekhyun's freezer.

"Yes, we've been over this. I told you last week. London got the most votes on my video, so I'm going to London," Baekhyun said. He pushed himself up from where he was sitting on the floor and heading into the kitchen to attend to the noise.

"You could go any other place on that list. You don't need to go to boring London," Jongdae said, shoving a spoon full of chocolate stolen ice cream into his mouth.

Baekhyun rolled his eyes. "My fans have eyes and can tell if I don't go to the place with the most votes...and seeing as I make all of my living by having fans, I'd like to keep them happy. Plus, I've never been to London other than the airport."

"Whatever you say. When do you leave?"

"Day after tomorrow," Baekhyun said, pulling down a cup from the top cabinet. He placed it on the counter and went over to the stove to pour some of the boiled water from the kettle into his mug. Then, he pulled a packet of hot chocolate from the cabinet and began stirring it in the water.

"And you'll be there for two weeks?" Jongdae asked.

"Yes," Baekhyun responded.

"What am I going to do while you're gone?"

"You have a boyfriend. Why don't you bother him for a change?"

"But, Joonmyeon's busy grading papers. It's going to be hard enough to get him to go out to dinner on our anniversary," Jongdae whined.

"Then I'm not sure what to tell you because I'm leaving....and no, you can't come with me," Baekhyun said, interrupting Jongdae before he could get a word out.

Jongdae sighed. "I wasn't gonna ask. But, now that you've clearly stated you won't take me with you, you are officially the worst best friend ever."

"I doubt that. I let you come over while I'm trying to pack," Baekhyun said, making his way back to the couch. He tucked his feet underneath of him and looked over to Jongdae at the other end. "And you can see how much I've packed with you here. Why did you want to come over anyway?"

Jongdae looked down at the container of ice cream and poked it with a spoon. He smiled. "I wanted to get your opinion."

"On what exactly?" Baekhyun asked, taking a sip of his hot chocolate and not moving his eyes from Jongdae. He was acting stranger than Baekhyun had seen before.

"My relationship," Jongdae replied.

Baekhyun cringed. "I don't think I'm really someone to help with relationships, Jongdae. You saw firsthand how my last one quickly went down the drain. And how the one before that was just a bunch of misunderstandings."

Jongdae chuckled and met Baekhyun's eyes. "I...I think I want to ask Joonmyeon to stay around and be mine forever...maybe marry me if we can get to a country that allows that..."

Movement in the room froze, Baekhyun's mouth hung open, and silence filled the space between them for several moments before Jongdae shifted again, and cleared his throat. "Ok. Alright then. Your silence says it all. You don't think it's a good idea. I get it."

"No, no!" Baekhyun gasped, his mouth still slightly ajar. "I just didn't think this was where the conversation was heading. I mean, you grabbed the ice cream from the fridge and seemed a little mopey. And then you wanted to know my opinion of your relationship. I was expecting something...well, I really don't know what I was expecting. The opposite of this actually. I'm not a very good detective."

Jongdae pursed his lips. "So, you're saying what exactly?"

"I think I'm trying to say that I thought you were going to ask me if you should break up with Joonmyeon and I was going to have to tell you, you were being an ," Baekhyun said, smiling. "You two are really great together. I'm so happy for you."

A smile overtook Jongdae's face, and he laughed. "Yeah, you would make a horrible detective."

Baekhyun shrugged. "When are you going to ask him?"

"Well, I was gonna ask him on Tuesday, but my best friend will still be in London. So it'll have to wait."

"Why are you waiting for me to be back from London? It's not like I'm involved in your relationship." Baekhyun looked at him confused.

"Yes, but what if he says no?--"

"He won't say no," Baekhyun tried to interject, but Jongdae continued right along in his thoughts.

"And then you're not here and I don't have any place to go. What then?"

Baekhyun sighed and moved to the handle of Jongdae's chair. He patted his friend on the shoulder. "Well, if that happens, you can catch a plane to London and finish out the rest of my trip with me. I'll even come get you at the airport in repayment for New York. But only if that happens. You aren't allowed on this trip if you're just bored."

Jongdae rolled his eyes and Baekhyun chuckled.

"Is that the big news then?" Baekhyun asked.

"Yep. That's it," Jongdae responded. He plopped the now empty ice cream container on the coffee table.

"Great. Now, help me pack," Baekhyun said, reaching over to grab Jongdae's wrist. He gently tugged Jongdae from his seated position and down the hallway to Baekhyun's room where a large suitcase on the bed greeted them.

 

London was almost exactly like Baekhyun had expected. The sky was blue some days, but most of the time it was raining. He had been in London for ten days now, and his trip was quickly coming to an end. Luckily, he had seen most of the sites on his list and today was no exception as Baekhyun planned to spend the rainy day inside the British Museum, which would check another off of his list.

His phone dinged and he looked at the directions he had pulled up on his phone. He had arrived at Montague Street and the entrance to the museum was just ahead. The tall, wrought iron fence that stood in front of him seemed a bit menacing, but the building the stood beyond it looked inviting. He closed the maps app on the phone and pulled up the camera, turning it on himself.

"Hey there followers!" He began. "It's day ten in London and today we're gonna check out the British Museum. Who's ready? I know I am!" He smiled for the camera and then hit the stop button. He quickly reviewed the footage and upon thinking it was fine, the camera to take some video as he proceeded to enter the museum.

He followed the floors of each exhibit weaving through each of the display cases, stopping and reading the information cards if he thought they were interesting enough and when Baekhyun checked his watch again after looking at the Rosetta Stone, he realized that he had spent just over four hours in the museum. His stomach grumbled and he patted it.

"Ok," he said to himself quietly. "Food it is." He quickly shoved the few paper brochures he had gathered throughout his walk of the museum into his backpack and set out to find the nearest pub.

Upon discovering that none of the pubs immediately across the street from the museum were to his liking, Baekhyun wandered toward Russell Square. He pulled his phone from his pocket and turned the camera, recording the walk for his audience.

"I've been walking for the last five minutes or so through Russell Square. Trying to find food," he said, turning the camera on himself as he walked. "I'm hoping to just find a pub and grab some food. Maybe something extremely British, like fish and chips." He smiled at the camera and gave a thumbs up to the camera before turning it back around to take in the atmosphere and sights of London.  

"I've found it!" He said a few moments later. "It's even called 'The London Pub'! This is what I've been waiting for! Let's see what they have in store." He turned the camera around on himself briefly and flashed a 'V' sign to the audience.

 

The next time Baekhyun turned the camera on, he had scarfed down half of his fish and chips and most of his beer. He smiled at the camera before turning it on all his half eaten food. "Guys! The food is totally what I was looking for. Look at this! Look at this! Amazing!" Then, he turned the camera off and continued eating, satisfied that his latest video was turning out as well as it was.

"Well, would you look what we have here? It can't be Byun Baekhyun can it?" a familiar Korean voice said. It took Baekhyun a moment to place the voice, but the moment he turned around he smiled.

"Kyungsoo," Baekhyun said, bowing slightly. "What are you doing in London? Here sit, sit." He gestured to the empty seats in of him.

"I'm here for a concert. I take it you missed the big ads everywhere," Kyungsoo replied, taking the seat opposite Baekhyun. "What are you doing here?"

"Writing a travel vlog. Been here nearly a little over a week now. It's been really great. Don't you normally travel with--"

"Beer's here!" a voice approached from behind Baekhyun.

"Chanyeol?" Kyungsoo supplied. "Yes, he's right there." He pointed behind Baekhyun, but before Baekhyun could turn around to even see the man, he was at the table, missing Baekhyun's presence at the table entirely.

The tall man placed the beer in front of Kyungsoo. "It's the closest to what you wanted," Chanyeol said to Kyungsoo as he sat down next to him on the tiny man. "Who's your---"

"Hi," Baekhyun waved.

Chanyeol stared at him, his eyes wide and then quickly turned to Kyungsoo. "Did you know he'd be here?"

"Didn't have a clue. I was looking for a table and there Baekhyun sat," Kyungsoo responded, taking a sip of his beer. "I didn't think you'd mind."

"I don't...it's just--" Chanyeol trailed off.

"Just what?" Baekhyun said.

"I..nevermind," Chanyeol said, quickly taking a drink of his beer and looking away.

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. "So, what have you done in London so far?"

"All the standard tourist things. The Tower of London, Tower Bridge, Jack the Ripper tour, the London Eye, St. Paul's Cathedral, you know. Tomorrow I'm planning on taking a tour of the Globe," Baekhyun said. "I've only got one day left and then I head back home, so I'm trying to hit everything today and tomorrow."

"Didn't you want to the Globe while we were here Chanyeol?" Kyungsoo asked.

Chanyeol, who was staring a hole into his beer glass, looked up at him. "Hmm...what?"

"The Globe, Chanyeol. Didn't you want to see it while we were in town?"

"Oh yeah. I did want to see the Globe, but I don't know that your concert schedule would allow it. We've got a sound check and a quick press circuit on Thursday before the make-up call and then the concert. Friday we're up early for some morning talk shows and then it's sound check and--"

"And tomorrow, we've got nothing, right?" Kyungsoo interrupted.

Chanyeol hesitated. "Yes. Tomorrow's schedule is a free day. You're supposed to be relaxing and adjusting to the time zone difference. And I’m supposed to be--"

"Right," Kyungsoo said. "So, I won't need my manager hanging out around me. Why don't you go with Baekhyun to see the Globe."

"That would be great," Baekhyun said. "It'd be nice to have company. I've been traveling this whole trip alone, so I imagine talking to someone would be enjoyable."

"You promise you won't leave the hotel, right Kyungsoo?"

"I promise," Kyungsoo responded.

"Ok. Baekhyun, I would love to join you at the Globe tomorrow."

Baekhyun smiled. "Perfect!" He lifted his beer and tapped the glass against Chanyeol's and then Kyungsoo's before downing the last of his beer. "I look forward to it. Meet you there at 10 AM?"

"Ok. That sounds good," Chanyeol said.

Baekhyun smiled and his phone dinged. "And I should actually get going. I'm seeing "The Woman in Black" and I don't want to be to be late." He smiled and stood, giving the each a quick bow before sliding out from the table and disappearing from the pub.

 

Baekhyun tapped his foot and stared at his phone, glancing up discreetly so as not to draw too much attention to himself. It was 10:30 AM and Chanyeol still had not yet arrived. There had been no text. No phone call. Which honestly would have made Baekhyun angry except for the fact that he remembered leaving the pub last night before giving the man a way to get in touch with him. He rolled his eyes and opened a new text message.

'I think I'm being stood up,' he typed and then carefully sent the message to Jongdae.

His phone dinged almost immediately in response. 'He's coming. He's the manager to an international pop sensation. He'll be there. He's probably just running late.'

'Half an hour late?'

'Yes. God, you never were one for patience.'

Baekhyun grumbled. "Stupid Jongdae. Stupid Chanyeol."

"I'm sorry I'm stupid," a deep voice said behind him. He spun around to greet the man. Kyungsoo...nevermind..."

"Kyungsoo, what?"

Chanyeol sighed. "There were some things I needed to take care of at the hotel before I left for him. Super important. My apologies."

"Really? I would never have pegged him as the diva type to not do something on his own."

"You'd be right there. He tends to prefer to do something on his own when he can. Someone happened to leak what hotel he was staying in and he found himself mobbed by fans when he went to go for a quick run this morning. So, I had to spend an hour dealing with that mess. And that's why I'm late. I'm so sorry. Shall we go?"

Baekhyun smiled. "Of course, but first we've got to take some video."

"What?"

"You heard me," he said. He pulled out the selfie stick from his bag and placed his camera on the end, framing both himself, Chanyeol and a brief bit of the Globe in the frame. "On the count of three I'm gonna record and then we can head in for the tour."

"Ok."

"Great. One, two, three! Hey there followers! It's day eleven! That means it's almost the end of my trip! Today I'm checking out the Globe theater with my good friend, Chanyeol! Say hi, Chanyeol."

"Hi, Chanyeol."

Baekhyun looked over at the man next to him who was waving frantically at the camera. "Really?"

"What?"

"Nevermind. Anyway, we're gonna go through the tour and we'll give you a recap as I've done with everything afterward. Let's go!"

He turned the camera off, and removed his phone from the selfie stick. "Ok, so now we can go. I'm just gonna film some bits here and there for the video."

Baekhyun quickly his heel and headed towards the entrance, but stopped and retreated when he realized Chanyeol hadn't moved.

"Everything ok?" Baekhyun asked.

"Oh. Yeah. Sorry, the filming just threw me off. We can go," Chanyeol said. He gestured toward the entrance and began walking, Baekhyun following along.

"Oh sorry. I'm a travel blogger, so I video my trips to various places and I post them on YouTube. And then YouTube pays me."

"Really?"

"Yeah," Baekhyun nodded. "That's why I'm here, actually. I haven't actually posted a new travel video for a while..."

"Well, I'm glad to be part of it then," Chanyeol said, smiling. "Shall we?"

"Yes," Baekhyun replied. "Let's."

Baekhyun usually found these types of exhibits fascinating in their own right, but having Chanyeol nearby made them even more interesting. Chanyeol, as Baekhyun quickly reconfirmed when he began translating the exhibit plaques, was fluent in English. He found himself mesmerized by the man's deep voice as he read both the English placards posted next to each exhibit and then quickly translated it to Korean for Baekhyun to understand fully. And if for some reason, he didn't notice that three hours had passed and that he had been staring at Chanyeol's lips for the last hour, he certainly wasn't going to bring any attention to the fact.

As they rounded on the last part of the exhibit, the two decided that food was definitely needed and quickly found the Founders Arms a short walk away.

 

"So, you're his manager?" Baekhyun said, shoving another bite of banoffee pie into his mouth.

"Mostly, yes. Kyungsoo doesn't really need a manager, but the company insists on it. I travel with him on all of his tours to translate for him mostly. Very talented singer, but not fluent in everything. A little English, a little Chinese, a little Japanese here and there, but that's it. I take care of everything else."

"Well, I guess I should thank Kyungsoo for letting me borrow you then. He probably missed having you around," Baekhyun said, pushing the remainder of his pie around on his plate.

"I'm sure he's fine. He was spending the day mostly relaxing. I feel like he knows more than he lets on," Chanyeol said, smiling.

"Still...I'll definitely thank him when I see him next time. I had a really great time," Baekhyun said, pulling his lower lip into his mouth.

"I'm glad. I had a great time too," Chanyeol replied, followed by an awkward silence. He tapped his fingers on the table. "Oh! Did you do the end segment of your video?"

"No, I didn't. I should do that. Thanks for reminding me," Baekhyun smiled and pulled out his phone. He pointed it toward Chanyeol and hit the record button. "Did you have a good time, Chanyeol?"

"What? Me? It's your video...Uhhh...yeah? I did. The exhibits were really informative and it's great if you like Shakespeare, which I do. I really liked the one where we got to read lines from different plays as if we were the characters. I'm sure Baekhyun has some footage of us doing that. I hope he doesn't put it in the video. The exhibit on Iago was also great," he responded, sounding more natural as the conversation went on. "We had a great time. I recommend you check out the Globe if you're ever in London."

Baekhyun giggled and turned the camera back on himself. "And there you have it, viewers! My trip to the Globe with Chanyeol and his glowing review of the Globe. That's also pretty much the end of my London trip. I leave for home tomorrow and who knows where my next adventure will take me. So, I hope you enjoyed my journey and I'll see you next time!" He threw a V sign to the camera and turned it off.

"That's super cute," Chanyeol said, once he was sure Baekhyun was no longer recording.

Baekhyun smiled, averting his eyes down to the table. "Thanks," he said. "I should probably get back to my hotel to pack and you should probably get back to Kyungsoo."

"I'm sure Kyungsoo is fine--"

"I've got an early flight," Baekhyun continued, ignoring Chanyeol. He pulled out his wallet and placed some money on the table. "I really did have a great time. Look me up if you're ever in Seoul." He got up from the table and left, leaving Chanyeol alone at the table.

 

"You just left him at the table," Jongdae said, shaking his head. "You're an idiot. He was definitely going to take you back to his hotel. And now here you are gazing longingly at the video you have of him. Pathetic."

Baekhyun had returned from his London two days ago, exhausted and confused. He couldn’t get his thoughts away from Chanyeol no matter how hard he had tried. And to make matters worse, he had accidentally mentioned it to Jongdae in his sleepy state when Jongdae picked him up from the airport.

"Thank you for reminding me," Baekhyun responded, unhappy to relive the story for what felt like the twentieth time. But, he didn’t take his eyes off editing his video. "I...I...I had to go. I had things to pack and I wanted to get started on the write-up. I was there for my job, you know."

Jongdae rolled his eyes. "Did you at least get his number?"

"No," Baekhyun said, cutting down another piece of footage.

"Did you give him yours?"

"No."

"I don't know why I bothered asking," Jongdae buried his face in the pillows on the couch. "How much longer are you going to be? I'd like lunch soon!"

Ignoring Jongdae and his overreactions to something as simple as one date, if you could call it that, Baekhyun put the final touches on his video and uploaded it.

"Finished," Baekhyun said. He pushed away from his desk and turned to face Jongdae, sprawled on his bed.

"Great! Lunch! Let's go!" Jongdae bounced up, grabbing hold of Baekhyun and headed toward the door.

As they headed out the door, Baekhyun's phone chimed. He pulled it from his pocket to find a text about a new comment on his video. 'I had a great time in London. Let's do it again sometime!' The comment from user real_pcy read. Baekhyun smiled and pocketed his phone. Perhaps he would take Chanyeol up on that offer.