Ruined Routines

One More Time

 

 

As far as I can remember, I have always liked observing.

I think of it as a way of getting to know something or someone but without taking any risks like having to reveal your own identity.

In a way, just like admiring a painting, where we can see the many colors and techniques used by just looking at it. There is no need to touch the painting and risk ruining it.

 

 

That was what the existence of Kang Daniel was to me.

A piece of living art,

using simple individual colors and but somehow, overall, created the bestest of paintings.

 

 

And...this is called stalking.

 

I think as I sip my vodka cranberry slowly, looking out of the bar, at the darkening skies.

I sit on one of the chairs facing the street next to the bar, having the best view possible of whatever happens on the busy streets.

As night falls, 3 boys arrive with speakers, and a small crowd forms around them as they start to dance.

 

Street performers.

 

There is cheers and claps as the  boys start dancing individually.

My mouth automatically shifts upwards when it's finally the pink haired boy’s turn.

 

Definitely stalking.

 

Just a week after he started working in the cafe, I have somehow managed to “observe” Kang Daniel and find out what he does and when, without having to initiate any sort of conversation.

All through constantly looking at the cafe from the window of my office and chitchats with my favourite employee, Jaehwan.

 

“You know , I heard the newbie dances and raps and all. He’s normally so cute looking but apparently when he dances, it’s so y, it’s like a performance”

 

 

And so here I am. “coincidentally” at a bar with a open view of the street where Daniel is rumored to perform weekly.

 

What am I doing with my life.

 

The boys dance for some time, and later, bow a full 90°, denoting the end of the dance.The audience are cheering and clapping loudly, most placing notes from their own pockets into a handkerchief laid in the middle.

 

Some of the young high school girls giggle and ask to take pictures with the dancers as the crowd disperses.

Daniel bows politely, giving sweet eye smiles and thankful words. He moves back slowly after taking some selfies and quietly starts packing up their belongings.

 Still kind of awkward and not much to say.

 

“Would you like another one sir ?”

I am caught off guard, grinning like a lunatic, by the waitress pointing at my long empty glass but, who clearly sees the direction of my view.

 

“No, i’ll just have the cheque please”

 

 

 

********

“Seongwoo-yah. What are you looking at ?”

 

Growing up, my mother was sickly and weak. She had severe asthma so I spent most of childhood within the four squares of our apartment, looking outside my bedroom window.

 

“We have new neighbours”

I pointed to the moving truck unloading boxes.

 

My mom patted my head but looked sad.

“Mom is sorry that you cannot go outside and play like normal kids”

 

“No...It’s not your fault you’re sick, mom. I just have to take good care of you until you get well. Look !”

I pointed at the people carrying boxes ,changing the topic.

“They’re a family of three, just like us. Dad. Mom and son !”

Mom nodded giving a gentle smile.

 

Somehow,it just so happened that the apartment the family I was watching moved into, was right infront of the window I looked out of, just one floor below ours.

Which meant that I could see most of what was happening in that house and I did. Mostly.

I watched them furnish and decorate the house.

I watched how both parents worked and came home late, leaving the kid home alone for too long.

I watched how the house was quiet. Too quiet perhaps.

I watched how the kid did not complain, or make a fuss or cause trouble and just watched TV while his parents were away. 

I watched how at one point he started dancing, and slowly but surely became a really good dancers as he had learnt to dance his lonliness away.

And that was how, a lonely boy with a sickly mother,staring out of his window grew up noticing another lonely boy with busy parents, learn to become a very good dancer.  

 *********************************

 

 

*BEEP BEEP BEEP*

 

I turn off the alarm.

 

Baby Daniel : Puffy cheeks, droopy eyes. A ball of fluff .

I smile, still half-asleep and imagining his face.

 

*bzz bzzz bzzzz*

 

I hear a rhythmic buzzing. Unconsciously knowing, I grab my phone and answer.

 

“Hello ?”

“Seongwoo-ssi, are you feeling unwell ?”

“Uhh…no”

“Then you better hurry up.The chairman will be here today and I’ve heard he gets here in 30 minutes.”

 

My coworker hangs up as I try to register what she just said. I squint at the time in my phone and freak out .

 

8:05 am

I am NEVER this LATE !!

 

Instantly, I am wide awake and running around my house, trying to get dressed while brushing as well as doing my hair.

 

8:15 am

I sprint out of the entrance of my building and hail for a taxi.

 

 

8:30 am

I quickly pay the driver , stepping out of the vehicle.

I stop and turn around to look at the cafe and by pure luck, 100% percent of it, I see the pink haired boy who’s stepped out to throw out the trash.

He sees me looking and freezes, his eyes wide open and looking directly at mine from across the street.

It’s the most direct eye contact I have ever had with Daniel and so all my intestines knot together as my stomach flips.

I conflict over raising my hand to wave or not when suddenly,  a shiny black rolls royce pulls over smoothly.

The driver of the car, gets out and holds open the passenger door.

 I see a pair of glossy shoes step the pavement, and instantly, I cover my face with my hands and dash to the front door.

As I run , I swear I see a glimpse of a smile form on Daniel's face.

 

“--I hope we can all work well together… I am in your care”

I enter the office to see all the employees gathered around in a circle and welcoming a new worker.

I am left speechles partly because I am gasping for breath but also as I see the face of the transferred member. 

The workers all clap after his introduction and this is when the chairman enters. 

The claps die down in a second and the whole office bow down a full 90 degrees.

 

“Welcome, Chairman Yoo”

 

The chairman nodds and dismisses us, heading straight towards the boss’s room.

 

We all rush back to our cubicles and settle down. I quickly put down my bag and pretend to work. 

 

WHAT is happening today !??

 

I try to collect my thoughts.

I woke up late !? which has never happened before.

The CHAIRMAN decided to visit !? This is very rare.

Daniel was looking at me..

 I remember his face as our eyes met and smile.

 

He knows me now ? does he remember me as an ex-neighbour ? school sunbae ?

nahh maybe just a frequent customer. Or.. stalker ??

Maybe he found out ? No, I was out on open so he must know. He must think I'm so creepy and disgusting.

Maybe, that eye contact was cuz he was startled and SCARED !?.

So afraid…. Of me…??

 

I look out my window at the cafe, but I cannot find him or see anything clearly. 

I look inside and meet the new one's eyes. He smiles.

 

Daniel’s afraid of me ...and

 

 

Hwang Minhyun is here .

 

 

______________________________________

Hello again. 

When I normally write stories, I ususally just write without much thoughts I guess ? But for this one , I find myself deleting sentences over and over again. 

So please bear with me for taking time to post new chapters.

Its only the second chapter but I hope you like what I write ?? >_<

Feel free to let me know your thoughts.

until next time, 

Byeeee