++5

Trust

++5

April 17th, 2017.

“Relay me its progress as soon as you get the potential model for our brand. I don’t care, whether you will hold an audition or scouting through a talent agency. Just find the substitute for that former model.” Irene’s eyes went into a slit, eyeing the head of their creative team. “Make sure to secure a big deal just so they won’t back down at the last minute without even thinking twice.”

She straightened her back. “You may convey the detail to the rest of your team.”

“Yes, on it Ms. Bae.”

The man bowed and made his way out in a hurry, leaving Irene silently ponder behind her mahogany desk. She spun her pen in between her fingers casually and when it dropped, Irene could only breathe out harshly.

Ridiculous.

The woman heaved a long, deep sigh while clutching her head. Her gaze fell on her desk, she scrutinized those scattered papers with a tired look. She retreated her hands off her head and groaned in utter disbelief. It felt like forever signing on it yet, they didn’t stop coming.

Irene sunk deeper into her seat and wheeled her chair around to face the view outside of her building. The clear glass huge window was directly facing the lonely night sky of Seoul City. At last, it was better than drinking in a sight of those papers, Irene had enough of it ever since this morning.

“I should be worrying about another important thing, right?”

Irene tapped on her own hands and kept her gaze outside. “Seulgi won’t burn down my house again. Yeah. Like the first time she came. Even donkeys won’t fall in the same hole. So, she might be doing better.”

“And so, I should have stopped talking like this.”

Her hands were crossing over her chest and she tried to think about anything that could take her mind off these weird, strange behaviors of her own. She almost yelled in annoyance when she couldn’t seem to find the reason.

“Why?” Irene hissed and fixed her posture, turning around in place to scan her room. She suddenly felt sick of it and decided to just head home. She started gathering her documents and took her bag in the process. I should go home and drink blood.

She seized her belongings and was on her way to stroll out when her secretary popped up in her direction.

The woman in her late-twenty looked startled. “I-I’m sorry for entering and for not notifying you first, Ms. Bae.” She saw the bag and documents in Irene’s hands. “I was about to report to you-“

“I’m going home now, you can email me the rest of the detail as I’ve already gotten the news.” Irene glanced toward the exit. “If you would excuse me, I’m leaving. Good evening.”

“Good evening, Ms. Bae.”

The woman bowed and Irene made her way out swiftly after returning her courtesy without much thought. Her mind was already wandering somewhere else.

+++

Irene was about to step inside and inspect her house when Seulgi's bubbly figure suddenly appeared in front of her, halting her movement. Her presence behind the door almost startling the vampire when she was greeting her rather enthusiastically. “Welcome home, Ms. Bae!”

“Er... okay.” Irene quirked her brows as the woman across her didn't even move even after she dismissed her greeting. “What now?”

“Let me take your jacket and bag, Ms. Bae.”

“No need.” Irene commented shortly and Seulgi quickly moved to make a space for her boss. The older woman eyed her once again when she noticed that Seulgi was already in her work attire. “Have you started doing your job? Properly this time around?” She emphasized the main point and watched her nod her head. Irene was traumatized with the burning kitchen she had to witness last week, when a newbie Seulgi came and tried to cook for her.

“I'm sorry for the ruckus I caused back then, but I do.. this time.” Seulgi bit her lips and cast a look at her own uniform before meeting Irene's eyes with gleaming orbs. She couldn't hide her gratefulness.

Seulgi then bowed to her. “Thank you, Ms. Bae.”

“Hmm.”

The woman hummed and dragged her way inside, Seulgi tailing at close distance. “Do you want to eat, Ms. Bae?”

“You don't happen to cook?”

“Unfortunately, I might set your kitchen in flames again in order to do so,” Seulgi chimed when Irene stared back and forth from her and the dining table. Apparently Seulgi noticed her surprised look and chuckled in embarrassment. “Wendy came and brought it along for you, Ms. Bae.”

“Wendy came?”

A polite nod coming from her companion.

“She didn't wait for me?” Irene raised one of her brows as she took a seat for herself. Seulgi stood by her and prepared for her boss's meal.

“No. Wendy said she only wanted to drop some foods, Ms. Bae.”

Irene nodded and examined the foods on the table. It was quite a lot. She cleared and cast a quick look at Seulgi. “Have you eaten then?”

“I'm sorry, Ms. Bae!” Seulgi's eyes enlarged in horror when she unknowingly dropped her spoon in a pot, making a loud clink sound along with its small share of their dinner splashing over Irene's face, directly. “I-I didn't mean to do it! I'm really sorry!”

Irene had to ask herself the reason of making this clumsy human work for her. Again. She should have seen this coming.

+++

April 8th, 2017.

“Why are you giving me this Ms. Bae?”

Irene’s brows rose quickly at her obvious question. She shifted in her seat with ease, still taking the confusion look in Seulgi's. Her shoulder shrugged nonchalantly. “Because you look like you’re going to burst out into tears.”

Seulgi bit her lips and nodded as she reached for the said handkerchief gratefully, eyes never leaving Irene’s figure. “Thank you again, Ms. Bae. I owe you so much.”

She started to dab her corner of eyes with it when Irene brushed off her words quietly. The latter slowly observed her in silence, weighing her inner self whether she should ask her or not about her current condition. Irene made up her mind while she straightened her pose when she thought that it was okay to speak now. “It looks like you’re no longer in that state.  So are you okay now?”

Seulgi wore another surprised look for the third times that day and Irene had had enough of it. “Is it really weird to ask people about their well-being nowadays? Why do you look so surprised?” She cast an annoyed look though Seulgi didn't take it seriously like before.

“It’s not that, I mean you’ve practically told me earlier that you hate me although I don’t know why…” Seulgi trailed her gaze at the fabric on her hand. “B-but you gave me this handkerchief and even asked about my well-being. I was just surprised that you actually care…”

“I don’t care.” Irene retorted back just as quickly, bringing Seulgi’s gaze at her. “Don’t assume too much, okay? I’m merely asking you that, just out of courtesy.”

“Even if it was out of courtesy, I’ll still thank you.”

Irene muted and shrugged her words. She watched the other back to fiddling with her own hands, it was as if she had something more to say. “I’m not complaining! In fact, I’m more than glad to know that you don’t hate me that much.” Seulgi looked up and rushed to answer when Irene gave her what-are-you-talking-about look later on. “I-I really want to repay your kindness!”

“First thing is… I’m not giving you any of my stuff—I’m merely lending it.” Irene leaned forward in her seat, judging this human who seemed determinate with her will. “Anyway, how are you going to repay me then? I’m pretty sure, you couldn’t even pay your own bill,” She caught her crestfallen expression and sighed inwardly. “I mean in this state when you have to rest. You need to work so you can pay for it.”

“I already lost my job,” Their gazes met in a split of the second, unintentionally giving away the younger woman’s inner thought to Irene who wordlessly waited for her continuation. She propped her hand against the chair, watching Seulgi ponder in silence. From the way Seulgi behaving earlier, she could tell what the latter had in the back of her mind.

“C-can I work for you when my condition is better instead? I can’t think of anything, I already lost my job and so I don’t know how to pay my bill.”

“Why’d you want to work for me?” Irene asked suspiciously. She had guessed just right. “What can you do? Oh well, on second thought the important question is, how can I trust you? You can be a burglar for all I know.”

“I certainly am not a burglar.” Seulgi raised her hand and placed it against her heart, self-proclaiming with a serious expression. “You can trust me. I can do all of house course, you name it!” She rapidly responded. She tried to convince the still woman across her who wore a doubtful look. “I can do anything you want me to do. Just please? I really want to repay your kindness, you don’t even have to pay me.”

“Who said that you’ll get paid? I don’t recall telling you any of it.” Her brows slowly raised and by looking at her expression, Seulgi had realized her mistake. The younger woman sheepishly smiled at her. “Oops. Sorry, I’m at fault. I’ll still repay your kindness though.”

“Tsk. You’re a stubborn human being indeed.” Irene shook her head at her unchanging motivation to repay her. She brought herself to stand and watched the still smiling figure staring in her direction with hopeful eyes. “Please?”

Irene heaved a small sigh. “I’ll think about it.”

It certainly sent Seulgi to leap in joy despite her earlier restraint. “Yes! Thank you Ms. Bae!”

“Don’t get your hopes up. You might be outside when you open your eyes tomorrow morning for all I know.”

She heard her gasping and almost smiled, surprising the vampire as well. Irene shrugged her strange act and got the hold of herself again after clearing . “I’m serious.”

“I’ll do my best to serve you!” Seulgi saluted and Irene only rolled her eyes at her antic.  

“Just focus on your recovery first, Seulgi.” Emphasized the latter before she leisurely made her way out of the room, leaving Seulgi watch her silently with anticipation. Because for a split of second there, Seulgi swore she saw the corner of this supposed cold woman’s lips curling up into a small smile.   

+++

April 17th, 2017.

But now, Seulgi wasn't so sure anymore. Her boss looked like she was about to skin her alive. And that wasn't a good sign. She gulped, hand froze in the air—she formerly tried to give Irene a napkin. But the latter was glaring at her and she didn't know how to respond.

“Just take that damn seat and eat there.” Irene pointed to the seat across her and quickly grabbed that offered napkin to wipe her own face. Seulgi did what she was told and Irene wished nothing but a peaceful dinner without any disturbance coming from this certain human being.

+++

Meanwhile, on the different side of the place, Joy strolled inside a small chicken restaurant with a big rounded red hat covering almost her whole face. She didn’t pay any of her attention towards people who had been staring at her the moment she stepped in. She was used to this kind of attention, part of her current job. Urging herself, Joy then made a beeline in the direction of the counter, where her best friend was already standing with a small smile.

“You sure look happy there. Glad to finally see me, eh?” The blonde girl lifted the tip of her hat, wearing a teasing smile. The slim woman across her raised an eyebrow as if ready to remark her words any moment. She could never be accustomed to Joy’s over confident personality. The vampire leaned a bit forward as she drummed her fingers against the wooden table, waiting for her to respond. “And so... don't you want to greet me?”

A slightly amused smile came to grace her lips when the woman finally spoke up, or more likely, scowled. “Gosh… I’m not glad though my boss will surely happy if you come to this place 24/7 per week. The profit man, he likes money.”   

Joy ran her hand along the wave of her other hand, beaming proudly. “If you said so, Rosé.”

“You know I’m kidding.” Rosé muttered in sheepish. She shook her head at Joy’s nonchalant expression. “Anyway, what do you want to order this time? You have practically tried everything on the menu though.”

“The one I tried last time,” Joy pondered after scanning the written menu above her. “I think I’ll have that.”

Rosé nodded while she punched her order in the small screen before her. She looked up and saw her smiling. “Anything else?”

“Will be waiting for you to accompany me at that table by the window alright?” The older woman laughed while she skipped to the said direction after giving her payment. Rosé only shook her head slightly at her and turned to her other friend. “Jisoo unnie, I’ll be making some order. You can cover me in this right?” The girl thumbed her up and quickly stood behind the cashier as Rosé made her way to the kitchen. 

+++

“You’re eating with gusto like humans would do when they didn’t eat for days.”

Joy brought her vision to the one who spoke as she munched on her meal quietly. She picked up the laid drumstick and lifted it at Rosé’s eye level. “This,” She chewed again before swallowing, “is heaven.”

“You’re just shikshin.” Rosé commented and the other woman only shrugged back, busying herself with her unfinished dinner.  

“You come here almost every day. Do you like it so much?”

“Yes, and I got the chance to see you too, so yeah.”

Rosé scrunched her nose in disgust when Joy laughed at her funny expression. “Oh my God, for a split of a second I forgot who you really are.”

“Ah, I know you like it just as much~” She poked Rosé’s cheek with her index finger and the latter quickly sent her an angry look. She hastily wiped her touched cheek with a paper tissue, eyes never stopped throwing daggers at her. “Your fingers are stained with sauce, you’re gross!”

Much to Rosé annoyance, Joy only giggled in response—finding it amusing. The brunette later found their banter quite silly and joined the older woman in a series of laughter.

When their laughter finally subsided, Rosé’s gaze was focused on the youthful face of her companion. It made her wonder about something.

“How long have you been living actually?” Rosé whispered, “I know that you guys can live over one hundred years and so…but yeah never so sure about it.”

Joy paused taking another piece of chicken and looked up to see her friend’s curious gaze. She then turned to look at their surroundings before meeting her eyes again. She responded in the same hushed tone. “Around six hundred years.”

Rosé gaped in disbelief and for a second she tried to restrain her outburst just so their conversation wasn’t going anywhere but their table only. She thanked the heaven because her workplace was on its slow day, no much costumer aside her best friend and a few people near the entrance. Her co-worker was out of the earshot, so they were safe. “Wow… but you look much younger.”

“What do you expect? Me with grandma’s features then?” Joy continued eating, she tossed a look at her best friend again, who still had an amused expression. “That’s how my kind survives. We don't cope up with our actual age though.”

“This is amazing.” Rosé’s eyes twinkled, “Did you change your identity over and over again? And perhaps you were an entirely different person in your previous life?”

“Have you been watching a vampire film?” Joy questioned, “Because that’s how human describe us from those movies or books.”

Rosé nodded her head and Joy softly smiled. “We do change our identity regularly for 80 years and move in into a new place as well. Live a new life, some would like to meet new people, befriending them, losing them,” The blonde’s tone went down slowly. She only resulted in poking on her meal. “…and the cycle goes over and over again.”

Rosé noticed the change of their atmosphere, feeling sympathy over her story. She reached to pat her best friend’s shoulder. She didn’t know that it was hard to live her actual life as a vampire; Joy made it look like it was that joyful.  

“Nah, that’s fine.” Joy regained her composure and brightly beamed back. “I’m accustomed to it. That’s how my life is going to be since I was born six hundred years ago.” 

Rosé blinked her eyes. “So… you were born to be a vampire?”

“Yeah… sadly yes,” Joy commented back. She dipped another drumstick in the chili sauce with no interest, “I wasn’t human to begin with.” 

“You know what?” Rosé gave her one of her best smiles. She patted her shoulder in encouragement again. “I don’t care if you’re a vampire or a troll or genie or something which is basically not human,” She stared at Joy, still keeping her smile intact. “But I know that you’re a very kind person. Oh and I might not live over hundred years as you, but I’m more than glad over the fact that you’ve considered me as your best friend. Thank you for trusting me.”

“I should be the one thanking you, I only scare people away with my true-self but you did the otherwise,” Joy bit her lower lip, feeling emotional as she returned the gaze her best friend give. She was really thankful. “Thank you for trusting me as well.” 

Both of them engulfed in a comfortable silence, watching people walk past another through the large window.

Joy's sly smile made its appearance as she thought about one particular person.

“Do you want to do something exciting?” She asked Rosé who furrowed her brows in return. “What is it?”

The vampire leaned closer and whispered. “Meeting someone so important to me.” She laughed when Rosé gave her a questioned look. “Who?”

“My cousin.” Joy added with a knowing smile, “You will definitely like her.”



Hi! Thanks for subscribing, commenting and upvoting! I truly appreciate it!
Hope you enjoy reading this story ^^
Have a nice day ahead, everyone~~