++2

Trust

++2

March 30th, 2017.

“Don’t you want to check on her condition?”

“I’m not a doctor.” Irene idly remarked as her eyes never once left the glowing surface of television.

“Forever sassy.”

Wendy laughed while she made her way to sit beside the still figure. She had changed her attire after hours busily doing her task to save the person Irene brought home. Though she planned to get some rest straightaway, she backtracked doing that after seeing her best friend’s frozen state. She couldn’t help but want to annoy her because boy, irritated Irene was a very fun companion.

“You have been staring at the television without even moving for hours. Are you even enjoying the show?”

“I’m not because they are ...” Irene replied as she glanced at her best friend for a second before bringing her focus back to the noisy flat television. “I was meditating until you came and asked me this question.”

“You were meditating with open eyes, for real?” Wendy asked in surprise, this time she observed the latter much thoroughly. Well, Irene was strangely sitting with folded limbs, open palms on the edge of her knees.

“You somewhat remind me of my grandma.”

Irene pushed the chuckling woman with much strength until she watched Wendy almost tripping on the couch. She paid no care at all.

“Serve you right.”

She then casually pointed forward with disinterest, ignoring her best friend’s long groan. “How come they could become so boring?” Wendy looked at the scene Irene had adamantly accused and subtly chuckled while she tried to get into her earlier comfortable position.

“They are funny though. You’re just hard to please, Irene.” Right after her quirky reply, Wendy got herself a nice punch on her shoulder. Irene with violence was something that oddly related. She hissed with an obvious fake pain reflected on her face. “This is what I get after working my off to save your friend all night long?”

“She is not my friend. I don’t even know her, she just got lucky yesterday.” Irene quickly replied with hands defensively crossed in front of her chest. “I hate humans remember?”

Wendy nonchalantly moved her head up and down to please this grumpy best friend of hers. Who in their right mind would want another set of punches coming from the powerful Bae Irene?

So rather than being abused by her, she preferred to stay still for the time being.

Both of them were engulfed into a long silence until Irene broke it with a smaller voice asking about their guest’s condition, much to Wendy’s amusement because the said woman looked like she didn’t want to know at all. “Is she alright?”

Upon seeing her amused look, Irene felt that she had to at least clarify the ongoing misunderstanding.

“It’s not like I care okay? I simply don’t want her to die in this place. It’s such a burdensome, too much hassle.”

“Okay smartass.” Wendy scoffed, eyes twinkling in mischievous but turning serious once she carried the information. “She is progressing quite well after the long due operations and I think those sedatives would get weary off soon enough though. It’s been five hours since her operations, she will be sobered up eventually.”

“Though I would never understand who the hell was beating her brutally like that. How come she has to bear those pains?” Wendy frowned and Irene, who wasn’t aware of herself, mirroring her best friend’s expression as well. “World is getting weird nowadays and so, people these days.”

“I couldn’t agree more. That’s why I don’t associate with them.” Irene proudly stated as she patted Wendy’s head. “Finally… Someone in our alliance has come to their right minds, unlike somebody.” She grimaced at the thought of her cousin, Joy the explorer who liked to go against the stream. “Nevertheless, welcome my friend.” 

“Well, that.” The smaller woman straightened her posture and turned to observe Irene, who didn’t stop beaming at her with a proud smile. “I seriously am wondering, what with the sudden interest in saving people anyway? This is so not you, you know.”

“When I thought you were on my side all along…” Irene halted her smile and closed her eyes.

“I am just curious… and don’t use that dirty look on me.”

Irene rubbed her face frustratingly as she would never hear the end of Wendy asking her this question. As she opened her peripheral eyes, she saw her best friend genuine curiosity and her eyes twitched slightly at the sight, there, something was definitely going on inside the brain of hers.

“Here listen to me. In all honesty, I wasn’t doing this in pure consciousness. Joy was messing with my mind last night so I guess, it partly made a huge contribution of why I would pity that human.” Irene emphasized with a determined look. “Yes, I pitied her. Besides, she wouldn’t get out of this situation right away. She should pay for what she did. You out of anyone should’ve known what kind of person I am, Wendy.”

Her best friend tilted her head and nodded in acknowledgment. “But still, I couldn’t grasp the fact that you actually have some emotions left. Pity? That’s not bad. You sound more human somehow.” She cackled when Irene shot her a glare. But that glare suddenly vanished as the black-haired woman asked in the same hushed tone.

“Is she… really losing her baby?”

Wendy wore a thoughtful expression as she nodded slowly, registering the sad circumstance this human had to go through. “It couldn’t be helped. As a matter of fact, her baby was already dead when you brought the mother here. If we weren’t doing anything like I said before, she won’t be here resting in that place though.” She gestured to the closed door meters away from their current spot. “She obviously couldn’t make it with the baby intact.”

“Uh… and she is so lucky though. I happened to restock my blood storing yesterday and it thankfully fitted with her blood type. That was such a nerve-wracking situation and I could feel myself growing ten years older in the span of time helping her though.”

Irene momentary paused and listened to her best friend’s story. She wordlessly agreed on the part of her being lucky.

“Anyway, I will get some rest and might check her condition later on.” Wendy stood up and glanced down at her best friend with a small smile. “Make sure to check on her alright. She might want to thank you for all I know.” 

With that, Irene was left all alone again with questions starting to swill in as she recalled the state of that human’s current condition.

“Was she abused? Was she really going to be killed?” Her brows creased in confusion. “But… why? Did she do something wrong?”

Irene’s eyes slowly trailed towards the said door and she shook her head slightly at her sudden thought. She felt quite ridiculous. “This is not even my business. Why would I waste my time thinking about this unnecessary thing anyway?” 

+++

“This is not good. She has been screaming for hours already, Doc.”

Irene woke up to hear some rustling coming from behind her and she quickly snapped up to sit properly on the couch. She didn’t even realize that she had fallen asleep for a while. She took a swift glimpse of the window and noted the change of surroundings, it was already dark outside. Who said that vampires didn’t feel tired as humans do? She felt dead tired right now and no one could argue her otherwise just because she was technically dead already. No pun intended.

She focused back to the earlier commotion inside the room.

“What happened?” She called out when she saw Wendy coming out of that room. Her face  was looking tired with hair messed up in all directions, Irene could totally get a hunch of the situation though. Wendy spared her a glance before she spoke to her assistant lowly. “You’re right. Just inject some sedatives to calm her for a while. The news has pretty much shaken her.”

Irene’s eyes burst open as she heard them right and she chimed hastily. “No. You don’t need to add sedative to calm her down. Just let her be.”

“But Ma’am, she is mentally unstable and we can’t risk her doing something unexpected.” Wendy’s assistant reasoned up while Irene did not buy any of it. She coldly stared back at the seemingly younger woman who was so persistent, but hey, no one would go against her will. “I said. You don’t need to. And that is final.”

Sensing the sudden drop of temperature, Wendy was fast enough to calm both parties.

“Alright, thank you YooA. You might do your errands.” The doctor spoke up as she finally dismissed her assistant who immediately scurried away from the scene. She then turned to look at her best friend and shook her head.

“Where did you get that human huh? She was talking back to me without my permission.”

Wendy rolled her eyes at that resurfaced childish behavior. “Quit doing it, YooA is a nice girl she just wants to help.”

“Whatever.”

“Anyway, she has been crying and screaming for hours since I told her the truth. The sedative might pretty much help to calm her from emotional outburst though.” Wendy mumbled, referring to that human’s latest condition. “Why don’t you let her get it?”

“I see,” Irene commented briefly. “But just let her be. She will get tired by herself later on. You don’t need to waste any sedative on her. It’s pretty costly.”

“You know me Irene, I won’t mind at all. I just want to lessen her pains.”

“I know, but let her deal with it.”

She saw Wendy coming towards her and she moved over to give her some space. “Aside from throwing tantrums, she is definitely recovering quite fast though. I’m actually amazed.”

They paused after hearing another shrill of voice from the occupied room. And Irene started to regret her former decision as her hands slowly made its way to protect her ears; she was born with sensitive hearing and those loud screams weren’t helping her at all.

“What would you do then?”

Irene weirdly watched Wendy, who probed her abrupt question. “What would I do what? I don’t understand.”   

“What would you do to her? We don’t know her identity, though we have already checked her clothes and found nothing such her I.d. card or general information at all. I’m pretty sure she won’t tell us as well, recalling her earlier response. She might despise us in some way, although it’s just temporary.”

“Well, it’s her way to cope up with things.” Irene shortly replied. “Though I don’t very much appreciate her screaming. It’s a noise pollution.”

Wendy chuckled, her face then turned serious as she continued voicing her concern. “Are you going to bring her home? Or would you actually send her back to where you originally found her?”

By now Irene wasn’t blocking her hearing with palms anymore. She contemplated for a second before she gave out an answer.

“I will figure it out later. For now, let her have some me time.”

“I know deep inside you felt sympathy over her condition as well. You aren’t that heartless to begin with, Irene.” Wendy exhaled as she glanced at the ceiling upwards, feeling Irene’s hard stare on her. “Just don’t be too harsh on her alright? It seems like she has gone through a lot. You don’t want to add things on her already filled plate do you?”

“I’ll just lend her another plate.” Irene stated sassily, causing Wendy to smile and shake her head in disbelief.

+++

March 31th, 2017.

She entered the room in silence and saw her staring blankly outside. She stopped herself from going further, opted to give her time and privacy after Wendy had pretty much dropped the news approximately in less than seven hours ago.

“How bad is it if I insist to have my child?”

Irene raised her eyebrow, feeling unsure if she was mumbling it to herself or not. Her voice was raw and hoarse as if she had strained her vocal node to its fullest. She might lose her voice at this point if she continued to scream her lungs out though.  

“How bad is it?” The latter asked again and Irene could clearly see the swollen eyes and streak of tears on her cheeks when the woman slowly turned to look at her. Aside from her left eye that turned bluish purple, bruised lips at the corner, open cuts could be seen here and there, the woman was quite fast enough in recovering though Irene tried hard not to comment on her current appearance.

The vampire sighed. Humans were being so emotional and she honestly despised it. “You have heard it before. You won’t even be here if they didn’t take your infant out of your womb. It’s so risky to keep it there without endangering you as well.”

“B-but can you at least let me know before making your way?!”

She was actually startled by her sudden increasing tone. Didn’t she mention that she has a sensitive hearing earlier? If Irene once again were in her usual mood, she might confront whoever that disrespecting her right away—she would punch whoever was that any day. So many people testing her patience lately and Irene could only breathe in to calm her inner self.

This clueless soul of stupid human being.

“And then you would be dead as well? I don’t think your family will be happy to hear that. Oops… if you still have family left, that is.” She stated with arched brows, sarcasm tucked in her accentuated words.

“You know. I didn’t help you there to see you here being desperate and depressed with life. You, in fact, should be thankful that someone out there was willing to help you. So, I kindly advise you not to do something stupid. If you ever want to leave, whatever your definition of leaving means,” She added with no emotion. “Then at least give us heads up. That’s the least you could do.”

When the other woman seemed to be caught off guard, Irene continued giving her piece of mind with no concern.

“I might be harsh. You will personally learn that I don’t have a heart at all so don’t expect me to be all kind to you because that day would never happen again.”

For a moment, she almost regretted voicing out her irritation. She sighed inwardly. “You were unconscious. We didn’t have much time left, so please understand.” Irene paused as she watched the woman looking away after she finished her sentences.

Irene knew how sensitive they could be in this kind of condition so she tried her best not to get carried away again as well. “Just please understand.”

When the latter ensued in a forever silence, she cued herself that it was her time to leave this human dwelling on her own.

Irene threw one last glance before she went out quietly, leaving the woman who by now had stared at the window with another bunch of fresh tears sliding down her face.

+++

April 1st, 2017.

Betrayed.

She felt betrayed.

How come she believed him in the first place?

All of his words were lies and she felt stupid for falling for it.

“B-but I’ve done everything for you! I worked all days and nights just so we could save up some money and get legally married later. You promised me!” She screamed albeit unaware with a drop of tears that began to brim from the corner of her eyes.

“This is what you get if you naively think highly of romance in reality. Marriage life isn’t as easy as you thought it would be. It doesn’t solely depend on love.” His words appeared to be harsher than she could actually bear and she felt her palms clutching in anger. “How come we could live our lives without properly earning money?”

Seulgi was going to fire back, but he didn’t let her do so, by accusing their former condition. “You know, your savings from being a mere waitress and me as an employee of a small company aren’t enough and we both know it.” He sneered when both their gaze met.

“Actually I left that so called job. And guess what? God may love me so much at some point because out of nowhere I got accepted into this bigger company, months ago. You didn’t know that right?”

He asked and Seulgi prayed inside that what things she thought of him wasn’t true.

“The manager is a beautiful lady and I, as a normal man would actually be attracted. So I tried my luck to woo her. Long story ahead and I had successfully seduced her.”

Upon hearing his words, Seulgi almost lost her composure and raged in flash.

“I bear your child! How dare you!”

She didn’t want to cry, she did want to look strong in front of him, to defend her rights, but she just couldn’t stop the threatening tears from streaming down her face the moment he spoke his mind with an emotionless face. “Just undergo abortion then.”

Seulgi bit her lower lip and opened her eyes at the recurrence of her nightmare, the actual reality which had crumbled her beliefs. “S-top it!”

She shrieked while flailing her hands, trying desperately to cover her body—her stomach where the baby she wanted to protect was there.

“Stop it, please!” 

Suddenly the door burst open and she saw the kind doctor who two days ago introduced herself as Wendy entering in. She almost let out a relieved sigh, but halted it momentary when this cold person made her way inside as well and stopped at the entrance. The pale petite woman in black who claimed, that she didn’t have a heart at all. 

“Happy Fools day everyone! This is seven in the morning and you are already screaming. What a surprise! I’m going to have a headache now, all thanks to you.” 

Clapping sound was heard and she blinked back her tears as the same woman stood there— glaring her way in her direction.

“Hey… are you alright?” Seulgi brought her vision to the one who spoke and nodded her head in response. The other person offered her a comforting smile. “Don’t listen to her, okay?”

“I-I’m sorry…” Her voice shook and she had a hard time to swallow her own spit. “I-I’m sorry…”

She didn’t know why, but she began to cry and it was successfully making the other two send quick glances at each other. One in panic and another didn’t even bother batting her eyes in sympathy.

Your fault. Get out of the room!

Irene tossed an incredible look at Wendy, who by now was trying to calm the crying human. She felt like the previous inner warning courtesy to her best friend was addressed wrongly because she only stated an actual fact.

“She is just being emotional!”

“Can you just shut up?!” Wendy barked back and shot her a scowl, though this time around, her displeased look didn’t last long as the crying woman she once consoled was apologizing yet again to no one particular.

“I-I will… I-I’m sorry…”

“Oh my… It’s not you! Oh my! I’m sorry sweetie!”

Irene almost cringed when she heard her baby-talking the woman. What on earth was going on?

“My toes are going to fall out soon.” She dissed quietly and caught her best friend bloody glare in return.

IRENE, GET THE HELL OUT!!!

The said person quickly put her hands over her ears and when the sound subsided, she stared back icily at Wendy, before she stomped out of the room in a rage. “I will throw a bucket of holy water at you later so you will come into your sense fast enough. Just you wait.”


Is it still 23th? if so, HAPPY SEULRENE DAY EVERYONE! LET'S APPRECIATE THIS IG'S UPDATE ALRIGHT???  AND OH MY GOODNESS! DID YOU ALL HEAR THE NEWS?? I CAN'T WAIT! RV'S SO GOING TO COMEBACK EVERYONE!! THIS IS SUCH A BLESSING DAY...