Chap 2: Time to Enlist!

How Do I?

"Omma! What are you doing here? By the way you look really pretty today.." SLK smiled and waved nervously at his mother. But, all his mother did was to grab his precious hair and dragged him all the way through the alley and into the car. 

"Omma! My hair! Please stop!" SLK screamed in pain. To his lackeys who were left awe-struck back in the alley, the sight of their mighty leader being defeated easily by his mother left them frightened to the core. Haha tried to escape while SLK's mother was distracted but, with her sharp instincts, she grabbed Haha too and pushed him into the car. In the car, there was an awkward silence. Haha, being too afraid to make a sound. SLK, too in pain to protest. And omma being too angry to scold. 

Finally, SLK couldn't stand the silence and asked:" Omma, where are we going?" Omma's hands reached for the seat on her right and lifted a huge black bag up, high enough for both boys to see. "You are going to enlist today, you forgot didn't you?" SLK's face immediately showed signs of irritations and despair. All the pain he had earlier on disappeared and anger was now flooding his heart and mind.

"Enlist?! No way!" He shouted at the top of his lungs. Haha, who was his dongsaeng by a year, had never seen his hyung so angry before. 'Hyung is scary", Haha thought to himself as he moved away from him a little. Soon, omma made a turn right and there stood the Korea Army Base. SLK looked away in detest and folded his arms as a sign of protest. 

Omma parked the car perfectly at the carpark and both Haha and omma got out of it. SLK refused to get out and would only fold his arms as he locked himself in the car. Omma sighed as she bent down and tapped the window lightly and said:" You are a man, and a man must serve his country. I know you are worried about your father's business but that is his problem. Your problem now is army. But if you aren't going to enlist and continue with this attitude, aren't you giving your father an additional problem?" 

SLK was taken aback by his mother's gentle and sincere words but he regained composure and let out a sigh. He unlocked the door and got out of the car. 'It's only 2 years, I can handle this' SLK told himself. The trio walked towards the door and into the waiting area. There, they saw many other young and older men waiting to enlist as well. SLK had a worried look on his face, however, omma and Haha patted his shoulder and gave him one last reassuring hug before he entered the "gate of hell". 

"Good luck, my dear Jong Kookie" Omma whispered.