Epilogue

Reminiscence

A/N: Please download or play IU’s Windflower on your phone before reading this, because Jungkook is going to sing that here. I love that song even before I know Jungkook and Jungkook is a fan of IU, too, after all. Thanks for those who commented. Really. I feel appreaciated. My next project is JungRi fiction with psychological genre.

 

A blinking black stick is staring at Jeongguk, waiting for his fingers to type another Hangeul from his keyboard so it can moves forward. It goes nowhere. His fingers stay on place. He looks at his laptop’s screen blankly. He looks at the clock on the corner of the screen.

Jeongguk has been in the library for five hours straight, working on his assignments while he has a lot of time before the deadline. Since he became a college student, he realized one thing. Living is tiring. Living recklessly or properly, both are tiring.

He has chosen to live properly and tries to be productive, but in the end everything is tiring. Honestly, everyone just wants to do what they love. Anything else we do is got to be done so we can continue living daily.

He doesn’t think it is bad. He favours his daily routines, regular loads of assignments and projects, working together with others. But, that doesn’t lessen the fatigue, physical or mental. He can feel the muscles of his back are a little stiff because he keeps sitting on the same spot. His mood does not match the spring season either lately.

Maybe colors are leaving him and he will turn grey if he keeps doing this. People around them tell him the path to adulthood is not colorful. The trees on the sides of the road still blossom, but the fallen petals won’t make the path becomes flowery. They will turn grey once they touch the ground.

Jeongguk thinks it’s alright. As long as he can still see them blossom beautifully, it’s alright. Still, what others say is not definetly what will he see or walk upon by himself. The future holds many secrets. Who knows if one day he, or by the support of somebody, will be able to paint the path with flying colors?

Jeongguk clicks the exit button of the program. He has finished the most troublesome assignment of the week. The rests can be done later. Now he can make sure he has time to be soaked in the blue water this weekend. Finally, a time to do what I really want to do.

When he is tidying his laptop and his books, a message pops up on his phone screen on the table. It was from Minhyung, his junior back in highschool. He is now a third-year. Minhyung tells him that the third-year students will have campus visiting and his university is one of the lists. He hopes to see him. They will come next Thursday afternoon.

Jeongguk smiles as he recalls the times when he was a student. He misses his swimming club circle, including Yugyeom and his close juniors. He does not expect this, though. His school rarely visits this university because it only has few faculties, mostly focused on science-related educations.

Jeongguk also wants to see his close juniors or maybe gives them some advices. Unfortunately, he has classes and group meeting until evening that day. He replies the message warmly with a sorry and hoping him will have a good time here. Suddenly he remembers something.

If they’re going to visit his university that means their graduation is near. Time flows like a river yet passes like a bullet. It has been two years already. He rests his head to the back of his chair. Someone appears in his mind and another smile find its way to his cold lips.

He wonders how she is doing now. That person who has given him words of encouragement, like a brush of bright colors spreading on a sombre canvas. He imagines her having hard times like him at school.

She’s popular, will receive gifts and some letters. She has to turn down unwanted confessions which leave her self a bit bitter after that. At the same time, she will be trusted and be shoved responsibilities upon her small shoulders.

She could have been dating someone because she is pretty and kind. It’s not like she cares about him after that day he whispered a faint hope to her. He never thinks that she will still like him after two years not seeing each other. They don’t even talk when Jeongguk was graduating.

Jeongguk is curious. He has seen girls who are attracted to him His can easily tell if someone likes him or not from the way they treat or speak to him. He sees attractive and intelligent colleagues who should have caught his attention. But, he has not decided to fall in love yet.

He just realized it right now. He has not been in any relationship because he is still looking for someone. He selfishly wants someone whose eyes looking at him the way she looked at him that time. Eyes glistened with affection that staring at him so softly as if his soul is being embraced by a warm feeling. Though, when that person was right in front of him, his heart seemed to deceive itself.

Maybe not, maybe his feeling is always honest. Either his feelings has changed now or he just deserved to lost the moon while busy chasing the shooting star. He doesn’t regret chasing it, but he hopes the moon will still appear for him sometimes.

-

Yerim stays silent on their way to the university. She keeps looking outside through the bus’ window. She puts her headsets on and plays her favourite songs. If she puts them off, all she hears will only be about how excited the girls are as they’re going to go to the famous senior of two years ago.

Yerim doesn’t understand why she feels annoyed to hear that. She doesn’t like how they say that they miss Jeongguk a lot. Do they even think about him all this time? Why do they suddenly feel so happy about him? Then she gets embarassed of her own opinions.

She became conceited. What if there are actually some girls who keep thinking about him? And if there aren’t, does that mean nobody has the right to blabber how happy they are if they can meet him? No one can see others’ heart contents, but she should exactly know hers.

She is indeed never forgets Jeongguk, but she is nothing better. She doesn’t make any efforts to know Jeongguk more or contact him even after what he has told her. I am still a coward, aren’t I?

People apply their standard for others harder to themselves. She is the one who doesn’t have the right to say that she will be happy if she meets Jeongguk. Her thoughts cut off when her shuffle mode playlist play a certain song she will never delete.

It’s a song that summarizes the hope of her first love. She smiles bitterly. She doesn’t want to listen to it now yet she can’t bring herself to switch to another song.

She falls asleep and when she opens her eyes, Yoojung tells her they’ve already arrived. The students get off the bus one by one. The unfamiliar place feels strangely new. But, the fact that Jeongguk is here, somewhere, makes her somewhat calm.

-

Her legs hurt from walking around here and there. They also had to sit for one hour hearing explanations and promotions from the university. Finally, it’s free time. Yoojung, Saeron, and she prefer to rest on the nearest bench first. Seeing her friends are tired too, Yerim goes to the vending machine and buy three bottle of yogurt for them.

After the finished drinking, Yoojung states how she feels out of place here. The people here look independent, confident, and seem to know where their paths are leading them to.

“College students are so different. I feel like a small kid who doesn’t know anything again,” said Yoojung.

Yerim responds with an understanding smile, but she doesn’t say anything. Meanwhile, Saeron keeps pouring her heart how it all can be just a façade. They are not that cool. They have their shares of troubles, too.

Yerim thinks one day the three of them will be just like one of the people here. She wishes this friendship lasts for a long time even after they go separate ways. She feels like crying. High school memories of the youth she spends with her friends, her first love with Jeongguk, and her experiences.

Even when she has gone through each day without taking it for granted, when the time comes where she has to leave, it is still painful. Even though she knows the pain will soo gone, it doesn’t change the fact that it is painful and makes her sad. Before the pang in her heart grows more tangible, Yoojung snaps her to reality.

“Yerim, will you apply to this university?” she asks gently like usual.

“Eh? If Yerim goes to the college here, will she meet Jeong—” Saeron can’t finish her lines as forcely closed by Yoojung’s hand.

Yerim just shakes her head. Her eyes than goes looking somewhere across the building they are in. She doesn’t plan to go to this university. No, it’s not because of Jeongguk. Her parents and she has decided the options since she was a second-year student. That’s why when she heard Jeongguk applied here, she was kind of disappointed. But, she’s fine now.

“Friends,” Yoojung and Saeron who are chatting before immediately turn to her, “Can we have a group hug?” Yerim asks in shy voice.

She thought her request is a bit weird since they are in a public place and there are so many people around. They are wearing uniforms amidst people who wear casual clothes which make them eye-catching. Moreover, they will look like a group of teenage girls who is showing off their so-called loyal high school friendship. A group hug then must be a cringeworthy idea here.

But her friends don’t give a single care to the world. They don’t say anything and throw themselves to hug Yerim. Yerim laughs in joy when both of her arms pulling the two of them closer to her. They seem like squeezing one another, with love.

“Now, how should we get out of this? I’m starting to feel awkward, girls.” Saeron buries her face on Yerim’s shoulder. Yoojung just giggles. Finally they let go of themselves. It’s a bit embarassing but it worths.

After looking at one another with foolish smiles, Yerim checks on her phone screen. It shows 3:43 PM. Their free strolling time ends on 4 PM. It’s time to get going and her gut is right, she won’t see Jeongguk here.

“Let’s go to the rest room before we get on the bus,” Yerim suggests.

 

Yerim washes her hands and then looks up. She gazes at her reflected self on the mirror. Her face brightened by warm yellow light of the rest room. She looks happy today, she has two great friends. Guess her day is well spent. She turns off the tap and goes to wait outside since Yoojung and Saeron are still waiting in line.

She rests her back on the wall. People are passing by her. She wonders if one of them knows Jeongguk. Maybe one of the women she sees here is Jeongguk’s future girlfriend. She hits her head thrice to get the thoughts out of her head. What am I thinking? Even if she is, it’s none of my business. Who am I to him? Does he even remember me?

Yerim is not a delusional girl. She does not think the scene in romantic movies happen occasionally in real life. She is unknowingly sure she will not meet Jeongguk here.

It’s like a defensive mechanism where people commonly believe the thing they most wanted will never happen, and the least wanted will, because they automatically feel so.

The other reason is because they want to minimize the pain when their expectation does not become reality. It is cruel how painful feeling works. Nobody can make them disappear, one can only minimize it.

Yerim heaves out a loud sigh. This feeling, too, shall pass. She believes.

-

He can feel his whole body turns cold. The coldness spreads from his bones to the tip of his soul. It embraces his heart with a solemn peace. If only he could, he wants to keep this serenity forever. When he slowly opens his eyes, there is an artificial light, glimmering above the penetrable surface.

Jeongguk loves the underwater.

Before, he treated the blue water as a part of his escapism, but as time went by, he falls deeply inside. It becomes a part of him. He loves it. He knows he is loved because of it. More importantly, he found the courage to love people around him because of it.

He breaks the calm surface and breathes in fresh air greedily. Whenever he experiences this, he always feels grateful. He feels alive. He is breathing, living in the current moment like never before.

Out of habit, he pushes his wet hair back and gets out from the water. Usually, he goes to this public indoor pool with Yugyeom but today he wants to enjoy himself. He sits on the nearest seat where people are.

Jeongguk reaches for his towel and dry his upper body first. The towel is then hanging on his neck. He checks his phone if there are any important messages or calls. Half of them are not important, but ones that catch his eyes the most are from his buddies.

Yugyeom is telling him to come to his house because it’s his mother’s birthday tomorrow and she would like for Jeongguk to come. Minhyung chatted him again two months after the campus visit. He said that he will graduate soon. The ceremony will be held in a month.

“How time flies… That Minhyung is going to college, too, now?” Jeongguk smiles brotherly.

But when he reads the date, he winces. Why again? He has to attend an important event that afternoon. He won’t be able to be there for long. They must be disappointed again. He covers his face with his free hand and sighs. He has lost another chance again.

He also can’t see her.

He realizes something. Is this his last chance? He doesn’t know how she is doing, how does she look like now. He cares but he doesn’t bother to find out more because he thought it was only a past event and this feeling is a faint one. He is stuck in the middle. Is this because his own words? He wants to laugh because that whisper was like a timed spell he casted on himself.

Sometimes his mind and his heart moves in a different pace, bring him to different directions. All of sudden, he wants to sing. He wants to sing his heart out. It has been a long time since he sung a song. Tonight he will sing because he can’t find out what love is and maybe write a song about a story of two people two years ago.

-

“Okay. One, two… Smile!”

It is the day of their graduation. Yerim, Yoojung, and Saeron ask someone to take pictures of them. Yoojung stands on the right side, Saeron on the left side, and Yerim in the middle. The three of them make beautiful and stupid faces until their friend complains that he is tired of clicking, but Saeron glares and force him to continue.

They were holding bouquets of flowers from their parents as a symbol of congratulations. Yerim holds three and she actually got more than these from her fanboys, she can’t hold all of them. She likes the one she holds because it’s a bouquet of pretty baby breaths painted in rainbow colors.

Today feels so different. At first, she smiles when her friend keeps capturing her with her two best friends. She also smiles when people who have crush on her ask for a selca together. But, in the end, her eyes become watery and a drop of tears falls to the ground.

“Yerim?”

It was followed by other drops. Then, Yoojung and Saeron start to cry, too. At least, they have taken happy pictures. Their friend smiles at how sweet the girls’ relationship is and capture the moment of them crying together between flowers.

People come and go. Memories falter someday. What lasts in this world? Yerim doesn’t even care. She will just cherish this feeling. She will treasure every moment she has spent with her friends, because even if the world we are living is temporary, this feeling, this moment, is real.

Yoojung is going to study abroad in UK. Saeron was successfully accepted by Busan University. Only Yerim stays in Seoul. A part of her says that she is left alone, but she has to be strong by herself. Her journey is not finished yet. She wants to support her friends no matter where they are. She believes they will also do the same.

No more laughing together because of hilarious jokes in class. No more talking about same favourite songs and idols. No more talking about teacher behind their backs. No more pranks on friends’ birthday. No more teasing about stupid crush. No more going to toilet together talking about the boys. No more eating together after school.

New beginning will come. If they want to be happy, they have to believe that a brand new happiness will come one by one, replacing the sad ones today and healing the broken pieces of today.

Today is one of their lasts moments before Yooujung’s flight to UK and Saeron leaves for Busan. Yerim jokes that she will be their warm shelter that wait for them to come back home. Both of them can only say thank you and kiss Yerim’s head.

“So,” they end the group hug and Saeron suddenly screams, “LET’S GET CRAZY TODAY, GIRLS!”

-

Jeongguk wants to loosen his tie but he knows that would ruin his appearance. His sister has told him a hundred times that he should look prim and proper without any flaw on her wedding, partly because she wants to show her handsome brother, too. She even said she doesn’t need any decorations or flower wreaths because Jeongguk and she are beautiful enough.

“I’m sorry you have to marry a woman like her,” Jeongguk smiles apolegetically to his soon-to-be brother-in-law who replies with a laugh.

“I’m not sorry because she is indeed beautiful, Jeongguk.” He kisses her cheek and Jeongguk makes a funny disgusted face. His sister then hits Jeongguk’s arm hard as punishment for teasing her.

She then tells her soon-to-be husband to go before her. She smoothen a small crease on Jeongguk’s tie, dusts off his jacket shoulder, and looks up to Jeongguk who is taller than her.

“Thank you,” she smiles and that moment Jeongguk knows she is a goddess, maybe because it’s her day. She doesn’t look like this usually.

Jeongguk smiles and holds her sister’s hands. “My happiness to do so.”

“I really love your singing, that’s why I want you to sing for us on the happiest day of my life. I know you’re busy with your study and really, why don’t you try to be in a relationship yet? I can’t help but worry about you, my little brother,” she cups Jeongguk’s face and pinches his nose, a thing that she would do to Jeongguk when he was little.

Jeongguk knows best that the gesture means she will miss their sibling moments together as they will not live in the same house together after this. She will be with her husband.

His sister takes her hands off his face. “Alright then, I have to go now.”

Jeongguk nods and he is back alone. He folds his arms and rests his back on the wall. Today is kind of hectic and he’s glad he has time to relax his mind before performance time. After his classes ended earlier on 12 a.m, he went here immediately to help make sure his sister’s wedding event run smoothly tonight.

There is some trouble with the cake that is supposed to be delivered four hours before the event. The deliverer lost their way and Jeongguk had to search for him for two hours and fortunately the cake is saved.

He looks at the crowds of guests having a good time together. There is Yugyeom amongst them, talking to his parents and congratulating them. Before, Yugyeom told him that Minhyung and Chan really wanted to see him on their graduation. Jeongguk regrets not coming, too, but today is also an important day for him.

He closes his eyes and takes a deep breaths as if in front of him is the blue pool that brings calmness into his heart. The next thing he feels is a tremor on his legs. When he opens his eyes, a small girl who supposed to be one of the children who will scatter a basket of flowers on the path of the bride is tugging on his pants.

“Hello, little girl,” he smiles as he squats down to face the girl. “Is there something you want to tell me?”

She looks at him with her clear, round eyes innocently. “You should not sleep standing, you will fall and it will be hurt.”

Jeongguk lets out a chuckle, “Thank you for the advice.”

The little girl then proceeds to take a cut-short stalk of a half bloom red rose from his small basket and hands it for Jeongguk.

“This is for you because you don’t look sleepy yet you are not as cheerful as me.”

“Ah, you see through me?” he accepts the giving. “Maybe it’s because I’m thinking about something. Thank you again. By the way, what’s your name? I’m Jeon Jeongguk.”

“I am Cho Sarang,” she says.

“Oh? Then I must’ve been thinking of you who I want to meet, because I’ve been thinking about my cheossarang,” Jeonnguk replies with a pun of the girl’s name that she doesn’t understand yet.

“Really?” she stares at him not convinced. “I think it’s not me, but if you meet that Cho Sarang you can give the flower to her. Bye bye, mister,” she waves and Jeongguk waves back.

He puts the short stalk into his jacket pocket. He refused to put the one his sister gave because he thought it was girly and unnecessary, but he doesn’t want to disappoint the little girl.

The wedding event begins and all pair of eyes now only pays attention to two people of this sacred ceremony. The bride looks beautiful as she walks down the aisle and little girls are scattering flowers to her path. Her face is hidden under a veil until the groom opens it. Their ardent happiness is radiating the room like moon and stars.

Jeongguk claps his hands along with the others as they have vowed to be with each other until deaths do them apart. Both families come forward and the groom and the bride give their speech and thank everyone who has come.

Then, his sister who has only cried a bit, because she doesn’t want to ruin her though waterproof makeup, introduces him with a burning passion, not as elegant as when she walks down the aisle.

Surprisingly, the crowd cheers especially groups of her sister’s friends. They used to know Jeongguk because they were three years apart at school and Jeongguk was already popular back then.

Jeongguk is not fazed by the unfamiliar stage or the fact that he hasn’t performed in front of many people again after his high school event four years ago. He is confident. Since today is a special day too for him, he will give his all until nothing’s left.

It’s also a special song he wrote by himself.

Jeongguk adjusts the mic stand in front of his mouth, his hands ready on the piano. He eyes the people in charge of playing strings to back him up. He takes a breath and starts to sing.

 

If I turn my back like this, if I disappear like this

I wouldn’t come into bloom

Like this, if I just look at you

It might be alright if I live without eyes

 

Without looking, I see you

Without listening, I hear you

Your breath is relieving me, just like a windflower

I wish to reach you, but I can’t

I wish to embrace you, but I couldn’t

Your fingertips have reached my heart

 

Will you know after long, long night?

That our love is smiling in tears

 

I wish to catch you, but I can’t

I wish to reach you, but I couldn’t

I’m revived into your heart, just like a windflower

Without looking, I see you

Without listening, I hear you

Getting shattered in the winds

Getting shattered into your heart…

 

He finishes his song, stands up and bows to the audience. Everyone is practically swooned because of his singing. Her sister meets him in the eyes and smiles understandingly as now she knows that Jeongguk also already has someone in his heart. Even though it won’t always be joyful, but she hopes Jeongguk hangs in there.

-

Yerim checks the digital clock on his lockscreen. 10.43 PM. She has told her parents that she will come home late today because she wants to spend her days with her best friends and they allowed her. She really meant her words because right now is already so late.

Saeron and Yoojung have gone home together because their houses are in the same directions. Yerim is alone now. The second she is unguarded, loneliness comes to her in a twinge.

She is not scared of being alone here, because it is a secured busy area of Seoul and life just begins now at night. Even there are a lot of students who are celebrating their graduation at the karaoke just like Yerim and her friends before.

Yerim is tired. She wants to go home and cries on her pillow as much as she wants. It doesn’t matter if she will get swollen eyes tomorrow morning.

She keeps reaching out her hand hoping a taxi would stop for her. For some reasons, she doesn’t want to take a bus today. She has to get used to the feeling of being only by her self more.

She is still looking for vacant taxi when she sees a figure of someone basking under the street lights. His face looks like someone she knows. He is wearin formal attire and holding his jacket on his left arm. It seems that he just came out from 24 hours shop near them.

Yerim thought it was someone from his school because of the black tie, but their jacket uniform is dark blue color, not jet black like his. Maybe he is a salaryman who was just finished drinking with his workmates. She is not comfortable when the man looks like slowly approaching her. She keeps waving for a taxi.

Without her realizing, the man has come closer and suddenly holds her hand as if he knows her.

-

The road is still crowded with the hustle and bustle of cars. White moon is shining up in the sky. The city lights also illuminate everything around the city of Seoul that never sleeps. Jeongguk is driving his car slowly because he doesn’t feel like getting home soon. He turns on some classic music in low volume.

Meters away from him stands a 24 hours minimarket. Come to his mind to stop by and buy cans of alcohol to drink at home. If her sister is still at home, she would consficate it and refrain him from drinking. She would act mighty and tell him that if he has some problems, he has to find a way to solve it, not being drowned in alcohol.

Although now his sister is not at home anymore, he decides not to stop by. He stops the car when the traffic light turns red. When it turns green, he continues driving on the right lane. It’s weird, tonight is so bright.

That’s when he sees something is off. He sees two figures of people, one of them seems forcing the other. It’s a girl, a student, and it makes him worried. This area is not dangerous. But surely there are some office workers who drank too much in nearby hotels, either because of social routine or their bosses, walking here to reach the bus stop.

Jeongguk has encountered this situation once in high school where he helped a girl to go home safely. He then stops his car near them and his car lamp startled the drunken young salaryman. He gets out from his car and surprised to see clearly who the girl is.

It is Kim Yerim.

What is she doing here? Jeongguk immediately rushes to Yerim’s side and dismisses the stranger’s hand which forcibly holding her before. She looks in pain and troubled. Seeing Jeongguk out of nowhere doesn’t make her feel any better. She is totally confused. The man beside her and the man in front of her make her heart races rapidly for two contrasting reasons and it doesn’t feel good.

Jeongguks secured her with his protective arm and closed the distance between them. He looks up to his side profile, his hard jaw, his hair, and oddly there is a rose in the pocket of his suit. But one thing for sure, it’s really Jeongguk. She thought she would not see him today or ever again.

The seconds she can grasp the whole situation, her senses start to work properly again and she can feel the cold sensation of Jeongguk’s hand on top of hers. It’s cold and soothing.

Suddenly Jeongguk talks to her in a friendly manner, pretends to be Yerim’s guard, “I’m sorry I’m late, I come to pick you up.”

“Hey! Hic- Don’t touch… my Hyerin! She is my girlfriend!” the man shouts at them. He doesn’t really want to treat someone older than him rudely. He hopes he can talk some sense to him.

“Hyerin! Why did you, hic, break up with me?! Is it because I’m not a manager yet? You, hic, materialistic girl!” He tries to snatch Yerim from Jeongguk. Jeongguk obviously doesn’t let him to do as he wish and slaps his hand hard until he winces in agony.

“Sorry, Sir, but she’s not your Hyerin. You’re currently drunk. Please go home safely.”

The man finally gets a bit sober after the pain. “Huh? You’re not Hyerin! Who are you, too? Get out of my way!” he exclaims and passes Jeongguk harshly.

When the man finally leaves them, Yerim slowly unchains their intertwined fingers. But she’s too limp because of fear and is taken aback of what just happened. Jeongguk faces her and asks her if she’s alright.

He can see a faint red marks on her wrist. Yerim almost falls to her knees if Jeongguk doesn’t support her hips with his left arm. Because of this, their eyes meet.

It’s hard to believe that he meets her here. He thought he wouldn’t meet Yerim today because of his sister’s wedding, but it’s the contrary. Maybe Yerim just hanged out with her friends around here since it’s her graduation day today.

Under the warm yellowish light of the street lights, he notices how beautiful Yerim looks. Her hair is longer now and there’s no bangs covering her forehead. She looks like a fragile porcelain, no, maybe a flowerbud she wants to protect in rain or in sun. He wants to touch its petals but afraid he might break it.

He is searching for the truth in her eyes and he realizes. She is truly fragile.

“It’s alright, you don’t have to hold it back anymore,” he says tenderly and Yerim starts crying uncontrollably.

“Why? Today… today is supposed to be my happy day, but… my friends are going somewhere far. I was approached by a weird man and out of all people out there, you came to me after that! Why is it you?!”

Yerim clutches her hands on Jeongguk’s chest helplessly. She wants to be released from his arms but Jeongguk doesn’t budge. She’s too weak to contend against his strength now.

Jeongguk is listening to her with the same warm look she gave her in the past. She looks down and continues, “Am I too greedy? It’s already the second time… Just when I hope people to stay by my side, they leave me. You, too… If you’re just going to go by again, you better didn’t come from the first place.”

Jeongguk doesn’t say anything and just pulls her even closer. Yerim starts sobbing on him. She doesn’t know if she has to feel happy or not. She’s scared if Jeongguk is going to slip by from her sight again. Her heart aches. Right this moment her tears fall again because she knows now, she still longs for him. To be able to cry like this, she is happy even though it hurts.

“Please, let me go.”

Jeongguk buries his face on top of Yerim’s head and answers, “No, because this time it’s my turn to save you.”

After a moment, he slowly releases her. He wipes her trails of tears. He’s really bad. They only have little memories of conversing and everytime they do he always makes her cry.

Jeongguk bows his head apolegitically. “I’m sorry I didn’t come today. I had to attend my sister’s wedding. Regardless of that, we meet each other in the end,” he smiles and it makes Yerim embarassed.

Her face must be really messy now, but she still earns a smile from him. This better be a dream because she can’t guess what’s behind that smile. Is that a real goodbye sign or is he playing with her and going to tell her something again? Are two years not enough?

“Yerim, look at me.”

Yerim refuses to do so at first, because she doesn’t want him to see through the window of her soul again. But Jeongguk caress her face and brings her eyes to his with sincerity.

“Forgive me… you’ve suffered because of my uncertainty. Do I still have a place in your heart?”

Yerim gives up. She touches his hand on her face. Jeongguk is waiting for an answer but Yerim doesn’t say a single word. He almost gets broken… So, this is how she feels all the time when he was around?

Then, he feels a gentle on his hand. Yerim nods. He thought his heart stop beating at that moment. He can only see her. He brings her to his embrace at once. No one should lose the other anymore.

Yerim doesn’t think anymore. She just lets everything happens, she feels like flying in thin air. When she falls, Jeongguk’s strong hands are already wrapped around her. Her heart feels content and she closes her eyes when Jeongguk’s lips delicately touched hers.

-

Rays of sunshine peek into Yerim’s bedroom through its flowy curtains. She shifts in her bed. She thinks it’s not morning anymore because it feels so warm. She picks up her phone from the drawer. It’s Saturday, no worries.

She closes her eyes again and someone’s face flashes in her mind. She almost shouts in surprise. She throws her blanket off and gets up in an instant which caused her head becomes dizzy.

She can ask her mother how could she come home safely but too embarassed to do so. When she looks around her room to seek for something to make her remember she sees her jacket uniform hanged neatly on the back door. Inside its pocket tucked a red rose.

That red rose. Why is it there?

Her face gets red immediately as if those petals planted in her cheeks. She buries herself in her pillow and muffles a loud screams in joy. Everything is definetly not a dream.

-

The flower in the spring of Kim Yerim’s youth has bloomed perfectly. End of story.