Chapter Three

My Beautiful Muse

Kihyun sighs tiredly, checking how the lighting looks through his lens one more time. He's been at this shoot for hours, and it's all grown very tedious. He took the job because, once again, he's scrambling last minute to come up with his half of rent. Granted, the job sounded a bit fun when they called asking if he'd do it, but it's turned out to be just another trite fashion shoot. Luckily, they've gotten to the last model, and he can finally go home and get some much-needed rest. He can also, at last, pack up the last of his photography equipment. His personal deadline is up, and he's decided that this shoot will be his last.

“Hyungwon-ssi, you're up,” the planner of the shoot announces, beckoning towards a shadowy area of the room. Kihyun turns at the name, curious. He had heard of this model before. Apparently, his almost ethereal looks have made him one of the most sought-after in the business. He had been on a hiatus for the past couple of months, but apparently he's returned to the business.

Kihyun almost forgets to breathe as the tall, thin man of his dreams walks out of the shadows and onto the set. Well, more like the man of every work sketch he's ever done. He'd be perfect for the concepts Kihyun has been drawing out since forever ago.

He can't believe it. Where has this man been his entire career? How had he not seen him somewhere before?

“Thank you for all your hard work today,” the man suddenly says, only a few steps away from Kihyun. Kihyun's so surprised he jumps where he stands. Since when was he so close? An amused smile plays its way across his thick lips at the photographer’s reaction.

“Sorry,” Kihyun says, doing his best to sound friendly, “it's been a long day.” He pauses to bow as he says, “And thank you for being here, I've heard some great things about your work…” Hyungwon shrugs, cocking his head to the side slightly.

“I hope it all turns out well,” is all he says, and then he walks away. Kihyun his lips as he watches the almost lazy way the model walks, unable to keep from in a breath through his front teeth in approval. God, that man is attractive. He makes a mental note to speak with his manager after the shoot so he can start—

Images of his packed up photo gear flash to the front of his mind. He hmmphs to himself, realizing he's going to have to unpack all of it as soon as possible so he can begin working with Hyungwon. Because, one way or another, he will have Hyungwon pose in his concepts. He will get this model into his concepts, and prove his taste isn't outlandish at all. He'll finally make a name for himself amongst other photographers, and break out in the avant-garde scene.

He'll finally be a real photographer.

“We're ready when you are, Kihyun-ssi,” the manager says, breaking Kihyun from his thoughts. Kihyun nods determinedly, focusing his camera on Hyungwon's beautiful face.

My beautiful muse, he thinks wistfully, I’ll have you in my studio soon enough, and we’ll work together to prove ourselves to our peers. We’ll prove we’re worth more than anyone ever bargained for…

 

Getting the attention of the model’s agent is almost impossible once the shoot is over. Kihyun mentally prepares a speech of how he isn't a creeper merely asking for a hookup, how he's a real photographer with credentials who wants to hire his client. However, the muscle man with the soft face is hurrying Hyungwon off the set almost as soon as the model is finished working.

“Hyunwoo-ssi!” Kihyun calls after him, having learned the name from the roster list of those involved with the shoot. The agent looks around confusedly, his cool gaze dancing with a questioning light at sighting the short photographer trying to get his attention. Hyunwoo turns to murmur something to his client, who slowly nods and shuffles off towards the door.

“Sorry,” the man says as Kihyun nears him, “but I'm not taking on any other clients right now.” This gives Kihyun pause. Surely this man knows he's the photographer, and most certainly not a model, right? He shakes his head, doing his best to breathe normally after practically running after this man.

“No,” Kihyun says, “that's not what I'm about to ask. I'd like to hire your client, Chae Hyungwon, for a personal project of mine.” The agent bristles at this, shuffling his feet slightly. Kihyun in a breath through his teeth, having expected this kind of response. “No, not like that.” He quickly reaches into his pocket for his wallet, pulling out a business card. “Look, I can see you're in a hurry, so call me tomorrow, and I'll give you the address to my studio. We can meet up there to discuss terms and salary.”

“You're quite the bold little photographer, aren't you,” Hyunwoo murmurs thoughtfully, glancing between the business card that's just been shoved into his hand and the man standing before him. Kihyun frowns at this, his brow creasing. “I'll run it by my client, see if he's interested,” the agent quickly adds. “If he is, I'll call. If not, well, it was nice meeting you.” He then turns on his heel and leaves, making Kihyun sigh deeply.

He swears, he won't stop trying until the model agrees to to work with him.

 

“What was all that about, hyung?” Hyungwon asks as Hyunwoo gets into the driver’s seat and starts the car. Hyunwoo hums, glancing into the rearview mirror to meet Hyungwon's gaze.

“That photographer wants to hire you for a personal project,” Hyunwoo explains, putting the car in gear. “I told him that—”

“I'll do it,” Hyungwon says, perking up slightly at the mention of the cute photographer from the shoot. “Call him tomorrow and get the details. I want my schedule rearranged if needed.” Hyunwoo merely blinks confusedly at his reflection, nodding as he turns his eyes to the road.

Hyungwon turns his head to the window, staring at the passing scenery. There had been something about that photographer that had intrigued him. The man’s reputation had definitely preceded him in the business. Yoo Kihyun is known to the community as a great photographer, someone who's perfect for last-minute projects. His ability to pump out results that look like they take weeks even though he only spent a night on them is almost uncanny, so Hyungwon hears. He's been wanting to run into him, meet him somehow. He’s glad he's finally been afforded the chance, and all the better if he gets another job with the man so soon.

A small smile plays its way across the model’s lips, and he chuckles at his own reflection. This may just be the fun that's been missing from his life ever since—

The smile falters, memories of his life from a month ago coming to him all too easily. He clears his throat, turning away from his own reflection and squeezing his eyes shut.

No more tears over it, he reminds himself. I'm diving back into work and not sparing a single moment more crying over him. I'm not wasting anymore time over it…