Chapter One

My Beautiful Muse

Yoo Kihyun sighs in exasperation, shaking his head at the trite concepts he's been forced to commit to film this past week. He has to remind himself that he had to do it, has to practically e himself and his camera to these unoriginal hacks so he can make just his half of rent.

Of course, that doesn't make it any easier to do.

“Kihyunnie,” Minhyuk sing-songs, poking his head into the room. “I'm going out. Do you wanna come with? I'm planning on meeting up with Jooheonney and Kyunnie, and they're always good for the laugh that you so obviously need right now.” Kihyun turns to the slightly-older with a tired smile, shrugging his shoulders.

“I shouldn't, Minhyuk-ah,” he sighs, “but thanks for the offer. I need to stay and finish these prints.” Minhyuk hums, a half-frown replacing his sunny smile.

“You work yourself so hard, Kihyunnie,” Minhyuk says. “You should really go out and have some fun every once in a while…”

“Have fun tonight, Minhyuk-ah,” Kihyun tells him, not in the mood for another lecture about how much he's been neglecting his social life. All their friends think Kihyun's the worst nagger, but they've never gone to live with Minhyuk. The man really gives Kihyun a run for his money.

“Fine, fine,” Minhyuk sighs exasperatedly, waving a hand at his roommate. “I'm leaving, but don't blame me when you end up dying an old spinster-lady.” He then leaves, not even giving Kihyun the chance to respond. Not that he'd bother to, granted, but it'd have been nice to at least have a chance. Alas, Minhyuk always has to have the last word, especially where Kihyun is concerned.

 

“Where's Kihyun-hyung?” Changkyun asks, glancing back at the door Minhyuk had entered through with a pout. Minhyuk had been ten minutes late arriving at the bar, a sure sign that Kihyun wasn't with him. Though he expected it, Changkyun can't help but be disappointed.

“He was working last I saw him,” Minhyuk replies, opening a menu to see if he feels like eating anything. “I invited him to join us, but he spoke like he was on a tight schedule tonight.”

“Did he wait until last-minute to get some shoots in, again?” Jooheon asks with a chuckle. He turns to glance at Changkyun, and notices his doleful sigh. So, in an effort to cheer up his dongsaeng, he plucks up a discarded bottle cap on the table and flicks it at him. The attack sure shakes him out of his mood, judging by his shocked reaction. He blinks wildly, until he sees Jooheon's smirk. His eyes narrow, and he goes to pick up his own cap to flick at the older.

“He always tries to hold out for some amazing assignment,” Minhyuk sighs tiredly, “and then ends up mad about having to scramble to do some typical shoots at the last minute.” He pauses, chuckling lowly at Changkyun’s expression as he readies his weapon. If Kihyun were here, he'd lecture them about doing such a thing in a public place. A part of Minhyuk misses that, because then he'd get to argue that the dongsaengs should do what they please. The moment seems a bit empty without that nagging little gremlin.

“Hyung’s too artistic to be stuck in this town,” Changkyun murmurs just before flicking the bottle cap right up to Jooheon's forehead. He smirks at the older’s surprised reaction, proud to have hit his target. “He always has these great ideas for his own photo shoots, but no one can ever pull them off… It's a shame, too, because I've seen his sketches, and—”

“You two seriously talk about work when you're done screwing?” Minhyuk asks curiously, causing Changkyun to blush like mad.

“W-We’re not like that!” Changkyun exclaims, huffing out an annoyed breath at the typical accusation. “I've t-told you, hyung, Kihyun-hyung and I are just friends…”

“But you want more,” Minhyuk says, more of a statement than a question, as a knowing smirk dances across his lips. Changkyun stammers out a rejection of his words, to which Minhyuk only chuckles lowly to himself.

“Hyung,” Jooheon interjects after taking a long drink of beer, “I don't think Kyunnie wants that kind of relationship from Kihyun-hyung. Maybe he did at one time, but not anymore.”

“I never did!” Changkyun declares. “You two just decided we'd make a cute couple and tried to throw us together!”

“Yah!” Minhyuk defends, reaching over to lightly hit the top of his head. “That's no way to talk to your hyungs!” Despite his words, a light chuckle escapes him before he sighs. “Though, I suppose you're right, Jooheonney. Maybe it's time we gave up on this Shorty Couple escapade...”

“Sh-Shorty Couple?!” Changkyun demands indignantly. “I'm not that short, hyung.”

“You're shorter than Kihyunnie,” Minhyuk snickers, “and that's pretty damn short…”

“No, I’m not,” Changkyun replies, slumping in his seat with another pout.

“Well, we did measure to be sure,” Jooheon points out, laughing along with Minhyuk until he realizes what he's said. Changkyun lurches forward, an accusatory glare set in his eyes.

When did you measure me?!”

“Ah,” Minhyuk sighs, his delighted smile turning nervous as his secret comes to light, “one night when we were all hanging out together. You and Kihyunnie were passed out on the couch, so we saw an opportunity to solve the mystery and took it.” Changkyun ‘hmmphs’ under his breath, and picks up a fry from his plate before throwing it at the older. Minhyuk barks out a laugh, picking it up and popping it into his mouth. He then changes the subject, another moment passing with zero nagging making Minhyuk feel a bit empty inside.

 

Kihyun sighs tiredly, finally able to package up his photos. He keeps telling himself that money is money, and the customers are happy so why does he have to be so narcissistic about it? He leaves the dark room for his own bedroom, squinting against the light. He slips the envelope of photos into his bag, and then crawls into bed, exhaustion seeping into his bones. He hated having to pull all-nighters like this, but the need for money has made it necessary.

One day, he thinks as he absentmindedly begins to sketch out a new concept idea, I’ll find that perfect model, and I won't have to do this anymore. One day, I'll actually be able to have the kind of career I want. One day, everything sill be like it should.

He falls asleep soon after, eyelids feeling like lead and impossible to keep open.

 

Minhyuk returns to the apartment in the early morning. He goes to check in on Kihyun, to make sure that annoying hamster got some sleep for once, and is pleasantly surprised to find him on his bed. A surprise that goes away, however, at seeing he's fully dressed. Minhyuk sighs, rolling his eyes in exasperation. The least the guy could've done is taken his shoes off...

He enters the man’s bedroom quietly, and moves to remove Kihyun's shoes and pants, figuring the younger would be more comfortable without those skin-tight ripped jeans he insists on wearing all the time. As he works, his eyes drift down to the papers littered across the sheets. He shakes his head at the younger, picking up the papers to take to his desk. His eyes drift across the page, and he can't help but smirk.

He honestly doesn't know what's so hard about finding that perfect model that's supposed to make everything fall into place for the photographer. The traits Kihyun always uses to describe him are pretty average for those in the modeling profession: Dark eyes, full lips, tall and lean… Minhyuk could name at least ten clients off the top of his head that he's photographed that have that kind of physique. He's even tried helping Kihyun find this magical model in the past, but the younger man never thought anyone was quite good enough for the concept.

Minhyuk shakes his head in exasperation. Changkyun had been right before, Kihyun didn't belong in this town of sell-outs. He’s much too good of a photographer to get stuck in this town. The thought pains his heart dearly, for he doesn't want Kihyun to move, but honestly if things keep going the way they are, he may not even have a choice…

Minhyuk goes to his own room, sighing heavily. He changes into pajamas and snuggles into bed, hoping that day never comes when Kihyun announces that he has to move.