Chapter 2

The False Truth
Please log in to read the full chapter

     She sat on a bench at a nearby bus stop. The cold breeze of the morning made her shiver. She took another big Bite from her chocolate croissant and placed it on her lap as her hand reached for her juice.

     A few moments after she finished her croissant, Namjoon's white car appeared in her sight and the window rolled down, revealing his face . "Sorry!" He said. She quickly put everything in the plastic bag beside her and but her bag and her handbag over her shoulder.

    Upon entering the car, warm air welcomed her into its embrace as she dropped the bag in the backseat and slid into the passenger seat. Turning her neck around to meet Namjoon's questioning look about the bag she just deposited behind. "Ah, I brought some casual clothes." she explained, he nodded back and started the engine. Taking her sandwich out and and a wrapped one for him, carefully opened it before handing to him. He took it from her with ease as his focused eyes was still on the road.

     Namjoon pulled up into the building's driveway as she unclipped the seatbelt and alighted. "I will call you when I'm done." she grinned at him through the rolled down window and waving with one hand.

    "Okay, sure. Remember!" His voice turned into a hushed whisper, "Try not to act too suspicious. And be careful. Call me if anything happens." He warned her before driving off again.

    She let out a heavy breath to rid herself of any nervousness. The entrance had students and teachers walking up and down the hallway. Her hand turned into a tight fist, "Fighting! You can do this!" She encouraged herself as she took steps into the education building.

     She knocked twice before entering the Teacher's staff room. There were only three teacher at that time of day, probably cause most classes are in session. One of them were sitting near the door on the second office, he was deep in a sleep. His snoring was evidently loud and clear throughout the whole office. The other teacher was a relatively young-looking female, she was talking on the phone gleefully. She seemed like she was oblivious to her appearance too. The last staff member, looked like an easy target. He was a young man, the only one in the open concept office who was actually working with his heart and soul. Such dedication and pure interest in actually helping students was hard to come by now that society is pretty messed up.  

    She took slow and impactful steps until she reached his desk. The sound from her heels made him raise his head in curiousit, he bowed slightly in confusion. That was when she knew, she had hit the jackpot. She smiled at him before pulling a near by chair to sit facing him and he followed her action. 

    "Hello, can I help you miss?" He asked, pushing his glasses up.

    "Yes, you can, actually." She set her handbag on the low wooden table in front of her and crossed her legs. She played her charming, sweet smile card and it worked instantly. His eyes lit up and his attention perked up .

    Chaeyun always knew this will work , from her personal experience and what she study , she realized people only respect or at least connect with people like her sister , that why she sometimes go out wearing her sister clothes .

    "I came here to ask about some students. Kim Jihoon and Kim Myunggi. Do you happen to know them?" She asked calmly, but she was panicking internally and praying that she'll get the answer she was looking for. 

    "Hmmmm. Those names sounds familiar." His eyes wondered off into space as he tried to recall the faces that matches the names. "Oh, right! They were previous students of one of my classes." He clapped his hands in the eurika moment.  

    "Did they transferred out from here!? Do you know where are they now?!" She leaped forward in her seat, closing the distance between them. Eyes widen and sparkled with inmense interest. He was taken back by her sudden reaction, and retracted back into his seat in attempt to create distance from the sudden closeness. It took Chaeyun a moment to realise that she leaned in too closed, so she sat back into her seat.

    He gave a tensed nod and looked at her strangely. Chaeyun realised the shift in his behaviour towards her, worried that she came off too strong and he was now suspicious of her. Her mind whirled, thinking of a convincing story to back up her erratic reaction to his response.  

    "It's just that," She trailed off and sighed. "I was their neighbour and I was on a vacation for a while. When I came back, they wouldn't open the door or answer any of my phone calls so, I'm worried and wondered why did they move so suddenly. We go way back. " She continued her made up piece of an explaination. Namjoon told her to-- not to lie, but to "exggerate"-- if she needed to. For Namjoon, it was a pain to search or question without warrant and basis of the case. He would say it would be a piece of cake to find all of these .

    His suspicious gaze lingered on his face for a few seconds more, before he let out a heavy breath. He glanced around the office, making sure that no one was listening in, "From what I heard, they migrated to * country *. That was all the school was informed of." He said, praying in the inside that he wouldn't get in any trouble for leaking personal information of a student.

    "Australia! They moved to Australia!" Chaeyun repeated happily while doing celebratory jumps. She was approaching the school gate as lingering kids stared at her.

    "Australia?" Namjoon on ther other line repeated . 

    " Mmmhmm!" she nodded, forgetting the fact he couldn't see her .

    "That great! I have a friend there he might just help me." Chaeyun could imagine him smiling on the other side of the line.

    "I think luck is finally in our side." she let out a sigh of relief at the first lead they had. Namjoon agreed. "Okay then! I'm coming to pick you up, in about five minutes." 

    "Okay!"

---

    " I am home ! " She announced , waiting for her aunt to welcome me but her sister's voice got her attention first, popping her head in the hallway, watching her sister as she put away her shoes.

    " Hello~" she said, grinning as wide as a chesire cat.

    "Chaeyeon Unnie?! Why are you here ? ". Her

Please log in to read the full chapter