Part 2/2

The Prince's Mage
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“Is he alright?” Jonghyun stopped his pacing as soon as Taemin stepped out of Jinki's room.

 

“I've done all that I could.” Taemin gave him a knowing look. “He lost a lot of blood, we’ll know anything else once he wakes up.” Taemin joined Minho's side.

 

Kibum heaved a sigh of relief, he had always been skeptical of Jinki, but after today he knew he could trust him, wholly.

 

“How could’ve this happened?” he asked Minho who had come along with the other Knights.

 

“I am befuddled as well.” Minho said solemnly. “We increased the guard as per orders, but…”

 

“They came from father’s chambers. I saw them climb down from the balcony and the windows.” Jonghyun said as he sat down on the upholstery.

 

Kibum sat up, eyes widening. “Who let them in unnoticed?” he asked raising his eyebrow.

 

“I think we all know.” Jonghyun said as his eyes met Kibum's.

 

A few hours later they heard a small groan come in from Jinki's room.

 

“How are you feeling?” Taemin asked as he sat down beside Jinki, assessing his condition.

 

“Good.” he said. He turned to Jonghyun who was sitting on the other side, “Did you get hurt? Did they harm you?” he asked.

 

“No.” Jonghyun said as he held back tears. “Don't ever do anything like this again.” he breathed harshly.

 

Jinki nodded, “You should not be out here alone, it's still dangerous.” Jinki said as he sat up.

 

“Kibum and Minho are outside and the Knights are guarding these quarters.” Jonghyun informed.

 

“Are they any hostages?” Jinki asked.

 

“No. It was a tough fight, we couldn't even get a scratch on a single one of them. And before we could even figure out what exactly we were fighting, they disappeared in thin air.” Jonghyun’s eyes were wide as he reiterated what had happened last night.

 

“Jonghyun…” Jinki began. “There is something that I have not told you.”

 

“What is it?”

 

“It was magic that led me to the King’s chambers. I felt it's presence and I found your Uncle in those chambers.” he said solemnly.

 

“I’ll have the chambers investigated again.” he said as he took Jinki’s hand in his.

 

“Let me look into it.” Jinki supplied. “If there was magic involved it would be easier if I search.”

 

“If we search,” Taemin spoke up, “I am not going to let you put yourself in danger again.” he shook his head.

 

“Fine. I'll help you, too.” Jonghyun said as he kissed Jinki's palm.

 

 

“Can you feel it?” Jinki asked Taemin as soon the doors to the King’s chambers were opened.

 

“Yes…” he said looking around. “It feels so strange, so different, very different from my magic as well as yours.”

 

“Indeed.” Jinki said as he walked around the chambers. “Indeed very different.”

 

“Jinki!” Taemin called out as he stood in front of the mirror.

 

Jinki found Taemin tracing the pattern carved onto the sides if the mirror.

 

“I don't remember the mirror having such carvings.” Jonghyun looked at them puzzled.

 

“The mirror was used as a portal.” Jinki said a few minutes later.

 

“It seems like your uncle has befriended someone who posses very strong and dark magic.” Taemin disclosed.

 

 

They were back in Jonghyun's chambers. Jinki lay down on Jonghyun's bed as he watched Jonghyun pace around, his eyebrows scrunched up in worry.

 

Jinki sighed, “What is it?” he asked.

 

“Well I can't simply walk into Kibum's chambers and inform him about what we found out. He'll have many secondary questions and the answers of which are you and Taemin.” he said as he sat down beside Jinki.

 

Jinki took Jonghyun's hand in his, playing with his fingers, occasionally caressing his palm. He spoke up after sometime. “Ask Kibum to begin the preparations for your coronation.”

 

 

The next day Jinki was out in the town market headed back from the florist for the decorations of the coronation ceremony.

 

He felt it again. The same magic, the same dark magic he had felt that day and felt it's presence in the room. As he neared the source, the town inn, he felt the presence grow stronger and stronger, almost as if the mage was right behind the wooden doors.

 

“Are you headed back to the castle?”

 

Jinki turned around at Minho's voice.

 

He contemplated a bit. If he confronted the mage now, in such a crowded place, then he would be putting Taemin in danger along with him. “Yes.” he replied to Minho.

 

“Come along then. We are headed back to the castle too.”

 

 

Jinki's mind was pacing, the mage’s presence in town signified that the decision of pushing forth Jonghyun's coronation had irked his uncle off. And the mage’s presence in town could only mean that they would stop at nothing to see that Jonghyun does not ascend.

 

“That mage is in town.” Jinki informed Taemin as soon as he reached his quarters.

 

“You found them? Did you see who it was?” Taemin asked as he wiped his hands clean of the mud.

 

“I didn't. But I felt their presence in the town, which was strongest near the inn.”

 

“So they are staying in the inn then.” Taemin derived. “Did you inform Jonghyun?” he asked.

 

“Yes. Minho's gone to search the inn. But…”

 

“But?”

 

“I don't think this mage will be caught so easily.” Jinki thought. “I have a bad feeling about all this.”

 

“I know.” Taemin heaved, ruffling his hair in frustration.

 

 

After Jinki had informed Jonghyun about the presence of the mage in town, Jonghyun found himself restless, unable to focus on anything, his mind occupied by only one thought. What could he even do if they caught the mage?

 

He nodded his command when the door guard informed him that Minho was here.

 

“Here's the list of the current occupants of the inn, Your Highness.” Minho gave Jonghyun a parchment with names.

 

“Anything suspicious about them?” Jonghyun asked as he handed over the list to Kibum once he had looked through it.

 

“Nothing seems out of place, Your Highness.” Minho's forehead creased with confusion. “Many of them are here to attend the coronation tomorrow.” he informed. “Why did you make us search the inn?” he finally asked. “Is it related to the assassination attempt?”

 

“Yes,” Jonghyun said after a while, sitting back in his chair.

 

“You think the one who was behind it is currently in town?” Minho asked.

 

“I do have my fair share of doubts, yes.” Jonghyun responded as discreetly as he could. He knew Minho was still unaware about Taemin and Jinki.

 

“I'll send Taecyeon and Joon to keep an eye on the inn.” Minho bowed.

 

“So why did you have the inn searched?” Kibum asked once the doors were closed after Minho left.

 

“I...I don't know. I thought I'll start somewhere. And even that didn't live upto my expectation.”

 

Kibum stared at Jonghyun for a while. “You are hiding something from me,” he said. “And I pray this secret of yours won't land you in anything more grave.”  he added earnestly.

 

 

Jinki stared outside Jonghyun's balcony as he waited for him to return from his counsel with Minho and Kibum. His heart was heavy, mind confused. He knew not to expect much from the search, but he couldn't help himself feel nervous at the result Jonghyun would soon speak to him.

 

“Nothing out of the ordinary about the inn residents.” Jonghyun informed Jinki as soon as his chamber doors were closed behind him.

 

“Predictable.” Jinki said.

 

“But I don't understand why would my uncle form an alliance with a mage!” Jonghyun exclaimed. “He was the one who was so adamant on passing that degree, so determined to see the purge take place.” Jonghyun voiced his confusion.

 

“Maybe…” Jinki began, “Maybe he was offered help, offered help to get rid of you for once and for all.” Jinki said slowly.

 

“Why?”

 

“I have travelled many a places, met many people, many mages, whose life was destroyed by the purge. And they all have only you to blame.” Jinki said seriously.

 

Jonghyun sat down on his bed, his demeanour defeated. “I knew, I knew I had it coming for me. It was all my fault. I should have never convinced Mother and Father to leave for the colloquy. It was all my fault.” Jonghyun shook his head.

 

“No it is not.” Jinki said angered by Jonghyun's train of thoughts. “I've told you time and again that it was never your fault. Just because a decree was passed under your name...just because the purge was carried out under your name doesn't make you responsible for it! For God’s sake you were only a child Jonghyun!” Jinki exclaimed. “You never had any say in it!”

 

“But now it is isn't it?” Jonghyun said, his tears finally breaking free.

 

“It will never be.” Jinki said softly as he kneeled in front of Jonghyun. “You cannot be held responsible for somebody else's decision, a decision purely made out of greed and fear.”

 

“What are you saying?” Jonghyun asked confused, as he wiped his tears.

 

“I've always known it, had an inkling of an doubt that your parents death was not just a mere murder but a planned assassination. “ Jinki revealed. “But after the events of the past days, I am certain that the same attempt is going to be made again to take your life.”

 

“You are saying Uncle was responsible for my parents death?” Jonghyun asked as he sat up straight.

 

“Upon my travels, I had heard of this mad man who claimed he was the mage who killed the King and Queen. And when I found him, I was certain he was no mad man, yes he was going senile due to old age, but what he claimed was true. I...I can look into people's memories too, Jonghyun. And that is how I knew he was not lying.”

 

“And did he say he was hired by my uncle?”

 

“No he didn't speak up, I searched his memories.” Jinki added remorseful.

 

“Where is he now?” Jonghyun asked, anger tinting his tone.

 

“His madness eventually caught up to him, and he completely lost his senses.”

 

“Good.” Jonghyun seethed. “But..” Jonghyun spoke a few seconds later, “But I don't understand why hadn't my uncle killed me then? Why keep me alive?” He asked Jinki.

 

“He had never expected a Sixteen-year-old young boy to stand up to him. The boy who calmly stood up in court and reminded his uncle that the Prince was still alive, when the accession of the throne was brought up. Kibum has been protecting you since.” Jinki smiled.

 

“You too,” Jonghyun said, “I know you always casted a protection spell whenever you left.” he caressed Jinki’s cheek. “Then why did he want the decree to be passed, if a mage helped him out then and even now?” Jonghyun asked instantly the question that arose in his mind.

 

“Hmm,” Jinki thought as he sat down on the bed. “He had a fear, a rational fear I should say, that someone might use the same means to get done with him. And by outlawing the mages he even made sure that the mage he had hired would never be able to disclose his doings.”

 

“So that is why he is so resolved to get you and Taemin out of the palace.”

 

“He believes I am the prince's mage and I shall prove it to him that I am.” He smirked.

 

“What are you going to do?” Jonghyun asked.

 

“Fight fire with fire.” Jinki said determined. “Rest now my prince, it's an important day tomorrow.” Jinki kissed Jonghyun softly on his cheek.

 

 

The next day Jinki waited for Jonghyun who was being helped get dressed. Once he stepped out from behind the screen Jinki bowed down. Jonghyun truly looked magnificent. The blue and white robes of the King were definitely made for him. His hair was pushed back, and the thin band, encrusted with azure stones and diamond rested on his forehead, the prince's crown. But today he would no longer be the Prince.“My King.” Jinki said with a small smile on his lips.

 

Jonghyun smiled back. “Help me with the rest.” he said.

 

“Always at your service, Your Highness.” Jinki teased as he helped tie the royal sword around his waist.

 

Once the other attendees left, Jinki approached Jonghyun, making the distance between them intimate. “You truly look like a king. The king Abyad deserves.” he took Jonghyun's hand in his as he led him to the doors.

“Your crown, your throne and your Kingdom await you, Your Majesty.”

 

 

Jonghyun’s coronation, like the previous ceremonies that had taken place in the palace, was being held at one of the lower terraces, the ones that had a better view of the public and vice versa.

 

The terrace was decorated with white and blue flowers, the royal colors of Abyad.

 

The amount of soldiers in and around the palace were increased. The Knights were standing behind Jonghyun and Kibum, as the herald read out the King's pledge.

 

Jinki watched fr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter