The Right Room

Mr. Pride versus Miss. Prejudice

Jisoo groaned as she dragged her suitcases across the stairs that seemed as if they would never end. It was the first day at school (sort of) - something she had dreaded for a long time despite her situation. Having just passed the bar exam with one mark to spare, she managed to fulfill her end of the promise proposed by her parents in which if she got into a respectful university, they woud allow her to have some freedom and move away from home and live in the dorms. That part of her life was over and she hadn't really thought about what to do next other than do a measly Facebook status update to brag about her acceptance - something not on her to-do list was to go to any induction days. This lead her to her current dilemma: where the hell in the campus was she?

The autumn sunlight poured in through the windows as she squinted to read every door number without her glasses on (she accidentally sat on them while packing for this day).

Room 105, 106...

The numbers never seemed to reach as far as what she was looking for: Room 211. She saw a group of girls ahead of her and bit her lip - making conversation wasn't her most favourable option seeming as anything that would come out right now would be full of panic and misery - which wasn't a first impression she would want to give. Slowly but surely, she shuffled her feet over the group of excited peers, managing to cough out a sentence.

"Excuse me, do you know-where-room-two-hundred-and-eleven-is?" She exhaled after holding in her breath for so long.

"Could you repeat that?" The tallest one among all of them said, confused like the rest of them.

"Room..."

"Two hundred and eleven." A hand rested on her low levelled head as a figure stood next to her with a coffee in the other hand.

"Youngmin!" The girls bowed their heads with respect to the seemingly older guy in their prescence. "What are you doing in the girl's dorm, if we had known we would have..."

"It's okay, I'm just a normal guy a year ahead not some god," he chuckled. Jisoo couldn't help but clear slightly when she heard one of the girls mutter 'an extremely hot one at that' under her breath. "I'm on my way back from greeting some of the freshmen that I know as well as a cup of coffee from the canteen."

There was an awkward silence after he finished his sentence as the four girls gawked at him as he looked around. "Anyways, are you lost? Room 211, right? I'll take you there - I have to drop off some books at the library anyways." The corners of his lips turned upwards as he patted Jisoo on her head, she didn't really nod or agree but he just took her lack of a negative response as an excuse to guide her away from the awkward atmostphere.

His broad back blanketed with a leather jacket became a place for Jisoo to rest her eyes for a moment until she noticed they were heading back to the staircase, sighing. Youngmin stopped walking and turned back. "Those are heavy right?"

Jisoo nodded slightly, embarrassed. Great! Now he thinks I'm weak! Great going Jisoo, great going!

He threw his cup of coffee into the nearby bin and walked towards her. Without a word, he unclasped her hands from the suitcase handle and lifted them off the ground, walking easily down the stairs despite the weight of the burdens he had to carry. Jisoo began catching up his pace, looking at Youngmin up and down from behind him. Bright red hair, interesting choice. 

She came back down to earth when he chuckled, feeling the intense stare from behind him. He began humming a tune as he reached the bottom of the building and walked outside onto the pathway betwen several autumn trees, not letting her carry her bags until they reached her room which was in a seperate building.

Maybe school won't be so bad after all... Jisoo thought, Yeah sure! If you think guys like those are your only highlight then say bye to good grades! Failing is not an option! She succumbed to the voice inside her. Youngmin's nice, but not getting a ton of crap from my parents at the end of the semester sounds much better.

Within the next five minutes of small talk, they arrived outside her room after yet another flight of stairs. It was evening and she was ready to pass out from the long car drives and being lost in the huge campus. She waved goodbye to Youngmin who exchanged her hand gesture with a grin and turned to her door, fumbling for her keys in her pocket. 

Room 211

Kim Jisoo

Park Woojin

Park Woojin... You don't hear many girls with that name. She entered the empty, unfurnished room (besides two beds and a desk) which made it obvious she beat her roommate. She tossed her suitcases on a floor space beside her preferred bed as she lay down after kicking off her sneakers, listening to the sound of the outdoors through the window above her head. Tomorrow was the first day of classes and she needed some sleep to let it seep in.

Outside, Youngmin walked towards the library on the opposite side of the campus, wondering why he walked her to a distance so far away. He plugged in his earphones and thought to himself: Why did she need directions to go into the boys dorm?