Fin.

Preparation Class

Author's Note

Shout out for @Dumbuny, hope this one shot could make you smile :)

I miss Wheebyul and hope you guys enjoy this little drabbles ~~~ Talk to you guys soon!! 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________  

Do you know what LSAT is?

No?

Good, which mean that your brain would be spared and you could keep your sanity intact.

Unlike Me.

So, LSAT....  LSAT is the cause of my panda eyes, the cause of my bloated face, the cause of my hyperness due to too much coffee and red bull, the cause of anything and everything that is bad, in short? LSAT is the bane of my very existence, oh and it’s also the law school preparatory exam.

Why anyone would have to go through another test just to get an education?

Good question! I don’t even understand myself.

Maybe because they think that to become a lawyer, you need to have an additional extra pair of brain or something? Or maybe they want to make it seems to be more prestigious than it really is? Making you feel like a chosen one?

I really don’t know.

Why do I want to go to law school again? 

Anyway, it was my last year of college and I had been buried by test after test – not to mention the extra hours of practice tests for the LSAT – in short? My brain, no scratched that, my whole entire being was doomed and I was being lied to.  The lecturers and the seniors, they all lied.

They said that the preparation for LSAT was easy as long as you gave it your best. It will not change your life around and everything would basically stay the same. You didn’t have to alter your schedules, you could still do your part time job and you could still have a normal social life.

Normal life, yeah right.

They lied.

All lies.

How can they expect me to have a normal social life when almost every time that I have free time apart from college, I have to spend it in a preparation class?

Yes. A freaking preparation class.

Can you imagine going to a private institution just to prepare for an exam?

Another class that I have to pay extra for just to learn the in and out of logic questions and hoping that I could pass the damn test?

Yet, I was still diligently go to the classes.  Who need social life anyway? It’s not like I have one to begin with.  

And no, it was not because there was this older girl that was also going to the same prep class as me.

So what if I never missed a class?  It was not because of her. No. Seriously. It was not because of Moon Byul Yi.

Who is Moon Byul Yi, you asked? Well... she was that person who everyone loves to hate.

Why?

Simple really. Moon Byul Yi was so freaking beautiful, up to the point where everyone at the prep class believed that Moon Byul Yi was a stuck up person just because she was basically too good to be true.

Well, it was not her fault that she was in that small percentage of people that really has it all – jaw dropping great looks, out of this world attractiveness, grace, self-confident, smart - and judging from the sport bike that she drove to class – money.

It was not like that in the beginning though, when the first class started, as predicted, they all flocked around her – fans, admirers, secret stalkers – you name it, Moon Byul Yi probably has it. However, she would barely acknowledge any of them, too lost in her own world and she never hang out after class.

That’s when the other students started to resent her and barely said any words to her and that’s when I started to volunteered to sit at her side and be her sparring partner when needed.

Not because of her looks.

No.

I’m not that shallow. Much.

It’s not like I have another choice too, because I was also being singled out in the class, mostly because I was not good at making friends.

Well, I can’t help being shy and awkward around new people, okay? So I understood and actually welcome the fact that Moon Byul Yi has always been courteous around me and never bother asking me about private personal stuffs.

So what if the first few times that I sat beside her, I tried my hardest not to study her side profile? Or when we had to sit opposite from each other, I always tried not to stare at her face too much, no matter how hard it was not to.

In my defense, it was not my fault. Moon Byul Yi was just that damn beautiful not to be stare at.

Maybe it was her long blond hair that framed her thin, elf-like angular face, or maybe it was her long curled eyelashes, or her straight nose, or her soft looking full lips, or maybe it was the way she dressed.

No matter which one, she just always seemed perfect.

To be honest? Moon Byul Yi fascinated me.

I admitted that I sort of hung on to her every words, watched her every move, always wondering what went on that brilliant mind of hers and maybe.... just maybe.... I sometimes wonder what it would feel like to kiss her.

That last part.... well... I’m only human okay?

We didn’t really talk much during class, our conversation always a little guarded, most probably because I was just that shy and Moon Byul Yi was just that wary with people around her, but we gradually started to talk more as we worked with the prep tests together.

I can’t say that we were best buddies or anything, but we do talk more comfortably and I still think that she was too perfect.

That last part? The one where I said that she was too perfect? Well... that part.... sort of changed.

 

***

It was the beginning of summer, it was warm enough to make Wheein decided to chuck away her jacket, opting for a pair of oversized cotton shirt and short jeans, while taking her – no longer a kitten yet still cute as a button and will always be her baby – cat for a walk in the park.

The weather was nice, it was bright and sunny, but not yet reaches the boiling, sidewalk melting hotness that would soon engulf the city during the peak of summer. The break that she had been waiting for finally come, granted that it was only a week break, but it was a break nonetheless and she needed it badly.

Kkomo had been cranky lately, it was not his fault really, but Wheein didn’t have the time to take him out or play with him, until she finally got the break and could take the big kitten out for some fresh air.

“Kkomo yaaaaa, do you miss playing with mommy??” Wheein nuzzled the big kitten and laughed when the fur ball swathed at her face, apparently he still didn’t like being kissed or receiving any form of affection in general, unless of course when he asked for his daily scratch. 

“Kkomo ya, the weather is nice right? Do you want to walk? Just don’t run off too far kay?” Wheein’s arms were getting tired from carrying him, he’s getting too heavy for her to carry him around for a long period of time. Maybe she need to have a talk with her mom as to not spoiling the kitten so much, his growth spurt was seriously alarming at this rate. Since when he turned so big???

Wheein was only half way crouching when Kkomo already leaped from her arms and ran, quick as lightning despite Wheein’s warning, “Kkomo ya! Stop! Don’t run too fast!! Kkomo ya!!”

Wheein ran to catch the fur ball and panicked when the cat decided that climbing a tall tree would be a great idea, “Oh noo... nooo Kkomo, no! Bad boy! No climbing!! Kkomo get back here!!”

The brunette was panting, both arms resting on her waist, trying to catch her breath as she looked up to the tree, looking forlornly at the curled up cat on the tree branch with nowhere to go, stuck in a 15 feet tree.

“Kkomo ya, come on, jump down, mommy will catch you. Good boy, pretty boy, smart boy, please just jump, don’t worry, mommy will catch you.”

Wheein tried to coax him to jump, because there was no way she could climb up to the tree, but the big kitten still won’t budge, meowing at her as if saying ‘no way I would jump, I’m save here! How could you ask me to jump down??

30 minutes of trying to coax him down and it was clear to Wheein that the fur ball would rather starve rather than leaving his spot on the branch and jump down no matter what she said.

Panic tears started to gather on Wheein’s eyes, she bit her lips as she looked around the park for help, yet the park was sort of deserted at the time. She fished her phone from her jeans pocket and debated on who to call, her mom? Her dad? The police? The fire department? Who? Who should she call? 

“Need some help?”

Wheein would recognize the lovely, melodious, deep alto voice anywhere, she just never expected to hear that voice outside of the preparation class.

She turned around and came face to face with none other than Moon Byul Yi, blonde hair pulled back in a high pony tail with a few strand of hair framing her face, one earphone dangling from her ear, white shirt, black running short, white running shoes, a leash on her right hand? Wheein let her gaze followed the blue leash with white stars pattern down to the most adorable corgi pup that she ever encountered.

The pup barked and she swore that the puppy smiled at her.

“Wheein-ssi? Are you okay?”

Wheein looked up at the concern face of Moon Byul Yi and suddenly felt overwhelm. She didn’t plan it to happen or even think that it could happen, but it happened anyway. One look at Moon Byul’s calm dark eyes and she burst into tears.

“Whoahhh Wheein-ssi, what happened?”

Moon Byul panicked voice reached her ears and made Wheein cried even harder.

“Holysh.... Wheein-ssi, please don’t cry, I....” Byul exhaled, brows creasing in worry and frustration, she was never been good in dealing with people, especially the crying one.

Her pup, watching the young girl burst into tears grew agitated as well – barking out loud – Daebakkie circled Wheein’s legs and put his paws on Wheein’s ankle, scratching lightly, trying to comfort the human.

“My... My... My baby....” Wheein hiccupped, trying to control her breathing, only to have fresh tears rolled down on her cheeks.

“Uh... okay, your baby, did you... uh.... did someone kidnap your baby? Or uh... “

Wheein shook her head forcefully, “No, no, no, my baby... hic.... much high.... hic.... tree.”

Byul tilted her head slightly, looking at Wheein as if she was trying to solve a puzzle, “Your baby... tree? Your baby is... Your baby is on top of the tree!!” Byul yelled out triumphantly before her eyes widened slightly, “How in the world your child could be on top of the tree?”

The real question storming through Byul’s head was actually ‘I can’t believe she already had a child in such a young age, I didn’t even know that she was married, the guy sure is lucky, Wheein-ssi is really cute.’.

“I told him.... hic... I told him not to climb the tree... but he... he... hic....Kkomo stuck on the tree now!! Kkomo!!!” Wheein wailed out loud and the taller girl flustered once again at the sight.

Patting Wheein’s shoulder awkwardly, Byul looked up to the tree – slightly wondering why the boy didn’t make any sound just yet, was he too scared? – only to find a chubby kitten curled up on a tree branch, yawning widely.

“Uh... Wheein-ssi, is that... uh... is your child a cat?” Byul knew she sounded stupid the moment the words left her lips, but in her defense, she felt slightly relief that it was actually a pet and not real children.

Wheein nodded vigorously, “Kkomo...” she whispered and looked at Byul with the most adorably pleading look, “Help me get Kkomo please....He must be really scared right now... my poor baby.”

Byul looked up to the tree again and saw the kitten yawned, tail swishing as if preparing to take a nap, “Uh... he didn’t look like he’s scared.”

“But it’s dangerous!! What if he falls???”

“He won’t fall, he could always jump down.”

“What if he broke his legs jumping!” Wheein’s face turned red as she pouted at the lanky girl, tears suddenly forgotten.

“With cat’s agility? That’s highly unlikely.”

“Are you seriously wanted to argue the possibility with me at this time?”

“There’s really nothing to argue, I’m just saying that a cat could sustained falls of like hundreds of feet without any serious injury and honestly, he looks like he’s enjoying the view instead of being scared.”

Wheein wiped the remnant of her tears angrily and looked up at blonde with a wounded look, she can’t believe that she ever consider this thick headed girl attractive, more like infuriating!

“Kkomo is an indoor cat! He didn’t have any climbing experience and cat’s claws were designed for climbing up only, not for climbing down! So you see, there’s still a possibility of injury!”

Moonbyul stayed silent, transfixed with the blush that spread at Wheein’s face and the glint of intelligence in her eyes, she was so lost in her thought she didn’t realized that Wheein stomped her foot on the ground and declared that, “If you clearly not helping then I would climb the tree myself!!”

She only realized when she saw the munchkin stomped her way to the tree and attempted to climb, “Whoahhh.... Whoaahhh.... what are you doing??”

“Saving my kid!!”

“Ya! Stop! You’ll injure yourself.”

“I don’t care! I have to save Kkomo!!”

Byul sighed at the stubbornness in front of her and finally relent, “Ugh.. fine! Here! Take the leash for Daebakkie, I’ll get Kkomo.”

“I don’t need your help.”

Wheein turned around, glaring at Moonbyul before trying once more to figure out on how to climb the tree.

A hand suddenly circled her waist from behind and blush quickly covers all of her face down to her neck and soon spread all over her body when Byul’s deep voice suddenly appeared so close to her ear, “Let me do it.”

She felt herself being dragged back and a leash was pressed against her hand, “Here, take care of my pup for me.”

Wheein watched as Byul put both on her hands on her waist and looked up to the tree.

*what is she doing?*

“Kkomo ya, still comfy there? You don’t want to come down yet? No? Are you hungry yet?  I have treats, I’ll give you treats if you just jump down.” Byul looked at the still quiet kitten who just stared back at her.

5 minutes passed and Byul just stood there having a staring contest with the kitten, while Wheein still couldn’t wrapped her mind on what she was actually witnessing and Daebakkie still sat there happily watching his master, tongue out, a big grin on his puppy face.

“Uh... Moonbyul-ssi, what are you doing?”

“Having a staring contest with your cat.”

“And why are you doing that? Will it get him to come down?”

“I don’t know.”

Wheein gaped at her and scratched her brow in wonderment, okay, scratch infuriating, the girl was clearly weird.

“Wheein-ssi, why don’t you play with Daebakkie? Take him for a walk or something?”

“My kitten was trapped on a tree and you want me to take your dog for a walk?” Okay, scratch weird, the girl was definitely out of her mind.

“Yeah, I want to try something.”

Wheein looked at the older girl weirdly but upon hearing the word ‘play’ and walk’ in the same sentences, the pup perked up, as if understood and quickly stood up, eager to go. He tugged at his leash and bark, already jumping around in joy.

Wheein looked down at the excited pup and her heart melted a little, she got to admit that the pup enthusiasm got to her a little, he was so cute she wants to bite him.

Sighing loudly with full of exaggeration, she relented, “Fine, I’ll take you puppy for a walk.”

The brunette was about to walk when she heard Moon Byul started another conversation with her kitten, “Yo, Kkomo, see that? Your mom is walking away with my puppy because you won’t jump down from the tree.”

Wheein stopped on her track and turned back around, “What are you doing?”

“Kkomo ya, if you still want your human, you better jump down.”

The kitten meowed and stood up straight, his eyes suddenly looking for his human.

“Ya! What are you talking about?”

“Still not jumping down? Okay, we’re going now.” Byul finally moved from her spot and Wheein literally screamed when Kkomo suddenly jumped only to land safely into Moonbyul’s waiting arms.

“Gotcha!!!” Moon Byul grinned broadly and looked at Wheein with a smug smirk, something akin of I told you so written all over her feature.

“KKOMO!!!” Wheein ran toward her beloved kitten, one hand busy giving Byul the leash to her puppy while the other one already halfway trying to pry Kkomo from Byul’s arms, yet, Kkomo won’t budge. The kitten only snuggled closer to Byul and purred.

“Kkomo ya, come to mommy.”

No reaction.

Wheein’s looked at Kkomo with a wounded expression as if the kitten just betrayed her which made Byul chuckled, “I think your cat like me more than you.”

Daebakkie suddenly barked and jumped around making Byul laughed, “Even Daebakkie agrees with me.”

Wheein glowered at the older girl, a tell tale of a pout forming on her face and Byul smiled, “I’m joking, please don’t pout, I don’t think my heart would be able to handle it.”

“Huh?”

“Too much cuteness.” Byul winked and laughed when Wheein face turned red once more.

Taking mercy on the girl, Byul put Kkomo gently into Wheein’s arms – Kkomo meowed in protest, didn’t want to be parted with this new human – but Wheein who just felt relief that her baby kitten was safe and sound quickly cover him with enthusiastic kisses, that, and she need something to cover her face so Moonbyul won’t be able to see her blushing face.

“I better take Daebakkie for a walk now. Don’t let Kkomo climb up a tree again, I don’t think the same trick can be use twice to make him jump down.”

“Thanks.” Wheein mumbled, face still buried in Kkomo’s fur to hide her flaming face.

“I’ll be your knight in shining armor anytime.”

“You are much greasy.” Wheein kept on mumbling, after the stress of having her kitten trapped on a tree was over, she soon realized that she was actually talking and maybe slightly flirting with the girl that she had a slight crush on.

Wait. Did she say crush? No. She meant fascinated with. Yes, that’s the right word. Fascinated cause the girl was actually extremely greasy.

“What grease? I’m just speaking the truth and nothing but the truth so....”

“So help me God, you are really weird.”

Byul grinned, “Yes, but this weirdo is still your knight. I saved your cat.”

“By baiting him with words.”

“Hey! It works right? So it means I’m a genius.”

“It means you were lucky.”

“Lucky enough to get your phone number?”

Wheein’s eyes widened before another blush covered her entire face, “Oh my God, you did not just say that!”

“What?”

The brunette sighed and looked at the taller girl through her eyes lashes. She bit her lips in contemplation while her heart beat jumped all over, beating so hard against her rib cages she was afraid it might burst.

“Give me your phone.” Wheein mumbled softly.

“Excuse me, what?”

“Don’t pretend that you didn’t hear that, give me your phone.” Wheein pouted and stuck out her hand, the arm that still holding Kkomo tightened involuntary from nervousness.

Moon Byul grinned slightly and plucked her phone from her arm strap. Wheein nearly grabbed the phone straight from Byul’s hand and quickly typed in her number.

“There you go.”

Grinning triumphantly, Byul quickly changed the name on her phone from ‘Jung Wheein’ to ‘Damsel in Distress’ and showed it proudly to the ever blushing Wheein.

“So... will I be lucky enough to take you out for coffee sometimes?”

Wheein almost swore that she would have a permanent red face from the amount of blushing that she’d been doing in such a short period of time, but she just cannot help it! What would you do if a Moon Byul Yi actually asked you out?

“I... I’ll think about it.”

She nearly jumped when her phone suddenly rang and an unfamiliar number appeared on the screen.

“That’s my number, so you would pick up when I call.”

The smile that Byul gave her was enough to give her teeth cavities – it was so sweet – so Wheein could only nodded dumbly.

“Anyway, coffee tomorrow after class right?”

Another sweet smile, another dumb nodded.

Wait!

Byul grinned, an imaginary celebratory dance already playing on her head.

Wheein gaped and tightened her arms around Kkomo until the kitten meowed in protest, “No, I mean, I’ll see you tomorrow after class.” Her eyes widened along with Moonbyul’s grin after she realized what she just said.

“No! I mean, I’ll see you tomorrow IN class.”

“Okay, I’ll see you tomorrow IN class and AFTER class for coffee. Bye now my damsel in distress, remember, I’m always just a phone call away.” Byul gave Wheein another wink and pulled at Daebakkie’s leash, “Come on boy, let’s just run back home, I got a date tomorrow.”

Wheein watched as the girl that she always thought calm, cool, collected, and graceful nearly tripped on her own dog before turning around again and waved stupidly at her with a big dorky grin on her face.

“Kkomo ya... Did Moon Byul Yi just ask me out?” Wheein whispered dreamily, still unsure on whether it was a dream or reality.

The Moon Byul Yi. Kkomo ya, should I pinch myself?”

The kitten meowed loudly and scratched Wheein’s chin, as if saying that ‘instead of pinching yourself, let me scratch you awake instead.’ 

“Ouch! Kkomo noo.” Wheein tucked Kkomo’s paws into her hold, kissing him on the muzzle before opening up her phone, searching her call history.

Typing in ‘My knight in shining armor’ as her new contact, Wheein grinned to herself, she had a date tomorrow.

Guess the preparation class was not such a bad thing after all.

And Moon Byul Yi is not really perfect.

She was kind of weird and slightly dorky.

And dumb. Sort of.

And greasy. Definitely.

But it was all part of her charm and who need someone that is too perfect anyway when you could scored a date with someone like Moon Byul Yi.

Wheein hummed happily and held her precious Kkomo tightly in her arms, her day suddenly just turned for the better, “Come on, Kkomo ya, let’s go home. I have a date tomorrow.”

 

~ FIN ~