Beginning

Rings and Their Meanings

She just got back from another business trip surrounded by a lot of people and formed by a lot more meetings. It was a Saturday, a first day off after the exhausting business trip. It was supposed to be her, Netflix, and pizza alone, but her friends were not giving her that leisure.

‘Girls’ Night Out, No Excuses, Saturday Night, 7PM, Usual Place, I repeat NO EXCUSES!’ that was what greeted her messenger after her plane landed. A following message was sent after that ‘Picture so dress UP!’

So here she was not in her jammies and home but instead in her car just arriving at the usual place as they’d like to call it and wearing a dark green button-down shirt with the first button ed to reveal her choker necklace tucked into a black skater skirt that is slightly more on the A-skirt side. Her outfit completed by a black ankle boot heels and a bracelet on her right hand.

Carrying with her only a small leather cross body bag with gold chains, she left her car to the valet’s care and proceeded inside. She was then guided to their usual lounge room. Pushing the door inside she did not find the usual setup and her friends were nowhere to be found. Instead she was faced with a large white screen on the other end of the room with yellow white Christmas lights surrounding it making a frame like structure around it. There were also more Christmas lights lined from the middle in which the chandelier is hanging to the ends of the wall forming an upside-down flower. In the middle of the room is a fine dining table setup for two people. Against the left side of the room is a long table of what seems like self-serve food buffet table.

Just as she was finished admiring the place that looked different from what it was usually like, a video started playing on the white screen.

She was greeted with a white shirt, which made her head pop with question marks. A few seconds later the white shirt moved back to reveal Jimin in his dorm room. He sat down and was still probably looking at the screen probably checking if the camera was positioned right. Doing his usually thing, which is combing his hair with his fingers, he started to speak to the camera. It seems like a vlog and she decided to close the door and lean against it to find out what this was all about, as she was sure she didn’t not miss any important dates between her and her boyfriend.

“So, today is April 17. I have no schedule, so I was cleaning up here in the dorm and started organizing some of my things.” It seems like this will be quite long as Jimin in the screen has put his arm on the table and his hand on his chin to support his face.

“Right now, I’m here on my table and have here with me a box.” He holds up the box to show that it is an organizer box for rings with a transparent lid so you could see the rings placed inside. He then takes of the lid. And gets a ring.

“Do you remember this?” He asks to the camera, most likely because he knows that she will be watching the video.

“This is the first ring you bought me.” It would be impossible to forget that one as Jimin made a big fuss about it when she handed it to him.

“You should remember this.” He laughed to himself. “I really and I mean really thought that we were finally wearing a couple ring.” He pouted against the camera. “But what did you say?” He exclaimed rather loudly and it was her turn to smile. “Why would I give you a couple ring?” They both said at the same time. Him on the screen and she on her spot. And then, she raised her hand to hold the round silver earing on her right ear with the letter J on it. “But, I understand that you want the couple rings to be worn when you’re married so it feels more special and we got couple earrings to make up for it anyway.” He smiled his stupid smile as he also raised his hand to touch his earing. He was always so easy to cheer up.

“Anyway, I’m getting off topic. This was the first gift you bought me from your first business trip after about 3 months of us being together. This was from China, I can’t remember well where though.” He put the ring back to its place and got another one.

“This one you got for me from Japan also another gift from your business trip.” He puts it down and picks up another one.

“This one you got from another one of your business trip, I think this was in another place in China.” And he repeats his action, reaching to another ring.

“This one another business trip in the Philippines this time.” And again, he goes for another ring.

“This one from your business trip in Malaysia.” And, he reaches for another.

“This one is from your trip with your friend to Singapore.” While putting the ring down he adds, “this was where it started.” Because of what he added she puts on a questioning face. And he seems to know that she would be asking question he continues on while holding a new ring.

“This one from your trip in Vietnam. I said trip because this was not another business trip but a leisure trip, one of the first of the many of trips you took where I would not see you for days!” He said pouting causing her to smile.

He then took several rings each showing them to the camera all while saying, “this and this and this and this” as it seems that it will not end, he finally stopped. “These where the rings where you left me for two months while you traveled around Europe!” He said a little too carried on with his feelings. This though got the girl smiling brighter as she remembered she had to coax him for a few days so he would forgive her. And of course, because Jimin could not stay angry at his girlfriend when he will be leaving also for half a month for their tour just when she got another long vacation to spend.

“And, this is the one when you went to US when I had our freaking tour in Europe! You could have had went to Europe when I had the tour!” he was again getting a little carried away, but like any other time that Jimin brings this up again even when he won’t hear her now she responds, “But you will have no time for me anyway.”

He suddenly becomes solemn. “Do you realize?” She didn’t as she raised her eyebrows out of curiosity and whispered questioningly, “What?”

“These rings they all signified the times you were away from me, and each time I have received them happily because it means you came back to my side.” He smiles a little and then there was silent and the video suddenly ended. The girl stood away from the wall with her eyebrows knit staring intently at the screen as if it will magically come back showing her Jimin. And it did.