Love and Bloom

Your Voice

They sat down on a wooden bench overlooking the beach. It was a little secluded and away from where most of the townspeople usually hang around at. Yewon suggested the place, knowing that they might want some privacy and away from prying eyes or ears. Twilight had already emerged, splashing the skies with a beautiful mix of magenta and orange. The duo admired the breathtaking scenery for a moment, before getting back to what they were here for in the first place.

“I’m not sure if this is going to be as great as the atmosphere right now,” Sungyeon said as she carefully took out her beloved guitar from its case.

“Come on, you’re doubting yourself again Sungyeon,” Yewon reached out to cover her hand, a gesture of reassurance. “So, what will my favorite busker be singing for me?” she brightly asked.

“Favorite busker, huh? Now you’re really putting the pressure on me,” Sungyeon joked.

“I’ll be singing with you.”

“I know,” the busker gave her own charming smile to the florist. “You’ll probably know this song well. It fits spring, after all.”

Yewon blinked in curiosity, before she recognised the acoustic chords of IU’s Not Spring, Love or Cherry Blossoms being strummed out.

It looked good during the long winter
The chestnut colored coat
I hid myself inside of it
and quickened my footsteps

Yewon released a soft gasp when she heard the busker’s melodic voice.

But people keep asking,
why are you the only one still like this?
Then I looked around and realized it was spring

It was mesmerising. She expected Sungyeon’s singing to be really good, but not this good. If she was being honest to herself, she was practically blown away. Despite her amazement, Yewon noticed the short glance Sungyeon aimed at her as she sang – an expectant look of something to come from her.

I have no one to hold hands with and walk
It’s just too much,
This sweet spring wind

Yewon realised what she meant from that look. And so, she too joined in with the busker.

Everyone but me is in love, singing spring songs
Flowers are blooming before my eyes
I want to hear something else
Not the story that will just sweep through

Not spring, love or cherry blossoms
Not spring, love or cherry blossoms
Not spring, love or cherry blossoms

They continued on singing, swaying their bodies soothingly to the rhythm of the song. It took Sungyeon a whole lot of willpower to not just stop and gape in awe over how the florist’s voice was actually really commendable. Yewon’s voice had a lower timbre when compared to hers. It was clear, distinct, and had a subtle power to it waiting to be unleashed. It was the complete opposite of Sungyeon’s own voice. And yet, they complemented each other so well. Sungyeon almost couldn’t believe it but her ears never lie.

When the song came to an end with the last strum of her guitar, Sungyeon’s heart was pounding so hard as if it went through an adrenaline rush. Why was she feeling this way? It wasn’t like all the other times she had performed for someone. This was...different. Her train of thought was broken when the sounds of clapping entered her ears. She unabashedly stared at the florist next to her, who seemed to be having the time of her life applauding for Sungyeon with that ever-sunny smile.

“That. Was. So. Great!” Yewon bounced in her seat, her eyes shining brightly. “ You were amazing!” she scooted closer to Sungyeon in her excitement. The busker didn’t even flinch. She was way too mesmerised by her new discovery of Yewon’s hidden talent to actually care about how close they both physically were. The florist’s happy demeanor deflated, reaching out to the busker in concern. “Sungyeon? Are you alright? You look a little...lost.”

Cupping her cheeks was all it took to snap Sungyeon out from her trance. “W-wha? Y-yeah, I’m fine. Totally,” she sheepishly answered. Yewon didn’t seem very convinced as she leaned in more to inspect the busker’s blushing face. Sungyeon silently thanked the Lord for having her guitar as somewhat of a barrier between the two. Any closer, and she might combust into flames. “S-seriously, I’m fine,” Sungyeon asserted as she grabbed onto both of Yewon’s wrists, gently lowering them down from her face. “Just went through a singer’s high, that’s all.”

“You definitely are a singer,” Yewon’s features soften. “You’re the real deal and you should totally blow everyone away with that amazing voice. I’m lucky to be one of those to get a special performance by you.”

Trying to diminish the constant blush on her face was going to be a mean feat, so Sungyeon decided to steer the topic away from herself. Besides, she was genuinely curious about Yewon’s hidden talent. “I can say the same for you too,” Sungyeon replied back. “I mean, have you heard yourself? You seriously have a powerful voice underneath that sweet exterior.”

“You’re such a flatterer,” Yewon tried to hide her embarrassment, leaving a playful smack on Sungyeon’s arm. “But I think that’s a bit of an overstatement. I’m not a singer. I’m just a florist here.”

Sungyeon smiled at her friend adoringly, resting her chin on her hand. “Say whatever you want, Miss Yewon, but these ears don’t lie.”

“...You really mean that?” Yewon locked eyes with the busker, searching for any signs of a lie.

“Yes.”

Yewon leaned back against the bench, staring at the sky above which has already turned darker as time went by. The stars too were beginning to twinkle amidst the night. “I wasn’t always tending to flowers and selling them to customers. I had other dreams too when I was younger. One of them was to be a singer and sing my heart out to people who are willing to listen. Watching all those famous musicians and idol groups perform on television lit a spark in me at one time. I wondered about how it would feel like to be up on a stage, performing in front of a crowd who are eagerly anticipating a show that would blow them away. I imagine that it would be nerve-wracking, with all the adrenaline flowing through my body.” She then turned her head to look at Sungyeon again. “Is that how it feels whenever you perform in front of people?”

The busker’s lips curved into a knowing smirk. “I once participated in my middle school’s talent show and almost dropped the mic cause the adrenaline made me shake too much, but hey, that’s just my experience. It could have been much worse.”
Yewon released a giggle. “I was hoping for something more inspiring than that.”

“What made you change your mind? About becoming a singer, I mean.”

“Reality,” the florist simply said with no remorse.

“Ah, the biggest culprit of them all.”

“I admire you, you know.”

Sungyeon straightened up, her attention at her fullest. “Really? Well, my ego more, Miss Yewon. I’ll happily listen to all your compliments.”

“You’re a dork,” Yewon pursed her lips. “And also a meanie.”

“Only to you,” Sungyeon blurted out. It seemed that went on auto-pilot before her brain could even stop her. Her eyes widened when she realised what she just said. The other party was stunned too. “I-I mean, it’s… fun to tease you? No wait! That sounds like I’m bullying you. Which I’m not! I’m just- You’re…” Poor Sungyeon was sputtering all over and flailing her arms around like a lunatic. She wished the waves from the sea could just swallow her up and bring her to an early watery grave.

When familiar pair of arms enveloped her in a tight hug, the calming effect on her was instant. “Bae Sungyeon, relax,” Yewon uttered softly. They took a moment to pause and let the busker calm her racing heart and noisy thoughts. Closing her eyes, Sungyeon took deep breaths and let her head rest on one of Yewon’s shoulders. It was comfy.

“I’m sorry,” Sungyeon muttered dejectedly. “That wasn’t one of my finest moments.”

“Sungyeon.” Yewon said.

The busker stiffened. “What?”

“I like it when you tease me.”

“You...do?”

“Yes. And it’s not insulting at all to me,” Yewon reassured and started to the crown of the busker’s head. “We’ve only met four weeks ago, but it feels like we’ve known each other for much longer than that. I always feel comfortable around you whenever we’re together. It’s like I don’t have to put up a front or hide anything from you. I can be real with you.”

Sungyeon stayed silent, listening closely and relishing in the soothing touch of Yewon’s hand on her hair. She wished she could stay like this forever.

“I’m glad you stumbled upon my aunt’s shop,” Yewon continued. “And I’m really glad that I met you.”

“I’m glad I met you too.” Sungyeon uttered.

The embrace tightened. The guitar still acted like a barrier between them, but Sungyeon didn’t care. This was good enough. More than enough.

“Sungyeon.”

She turned her head slightly to her friend’s voice. “Hmm?”

“Do you want to sing together again?”

What kind of question was that? The answer was so obvious.

Sungyeon raised her head, her gaze locking in with Yewon’s. “With you? Always.”

 

---

 

The days have been much brighter ever since their duet. Or maybe it was just Sungyeon in general. There was a bounce in her steps whenever she walked ― her hazel eyes shining with spirit, her posture less slouched, and her smiles were more genuine. She only realised it when Nayoung pointed it out during one of their conversations as they watched TV together in the living room. One of those popular variety talk shows was on, the laughters of the audience and guest panel acting as background noise for the two.

“Is that the good kind of change or…?” Sungyeon questioned whilst tilting her head at the older girl sitting next to her on the couch.

“Of course it’s good!” Nayoung exclaimed, patting her housemate on the shoulder with confidence. “Now I don’t need to keep telling you to sit up straight whenever we’re eating together.”

“I already have a mom for that, unnie,” Sungyeon whined.

“Your mom asked me to take care of you, so I have to stand in for her as long as you’re still here in Japan.”

“Thanks, mom,” Sungyeon rolled her eyes.

“I’m presuming your change in demeanour is because of that performance, huh?” The older woman leaned back on the couch and smiled knowingly. “Is she the sound you’ve been searching for this whole time?”

A hint of a blush was making its way up Sungyeon’s cheeks. “If she is, then wouldn’t that mean I have to end my stay here and go back home?” her voice deflating as she said it.

“I’m not saying that you have to pack up and leave right now, Sungyeon,” Nayoung said. “But you do have to go back home eventually. Though let’s not make it into a melodramatic scene like how they do it in soap operas and dramas.”

“Come on, unnie,” Sungyeon said in exasperation. “I know how the real world works.”

“I have faith that a long-distance relationship can work out with the both of you.”

The blush intensified. If there was a way to sink deeper into the couch, she would do it. “You’re getting way ahead of yourself. I haven’t even asked her out yet, nor do I even know if she swings that way.”

“Wouldn’t you like to find out?”

Sungyeon glanced at the subtle teasing glint in her housemate’s eyes. Part of her wished that Nayoung just stuck with her stone-like persona.

 

---

“Do you wanna go watch something with me once you’re done with work?”

This has got to be one of the worst decisions she has ever made. Or one of the best, in Nayoung’s humble opinion. Here she was at the front of the store, having just returned from busking, asking a surprised Yewon out on a platonic date. Mind you, there was nothing romantic at all about this. Absolutely no hidden intentions too. She also totally did not choose her lucky plaid button-up to wear for the occasion. It just happened to be in her wardrobe and it was the only clean shirt she had. And she totally did not add an extra layer of make-up on or anything. Just a few touches here and a bit of eyeliner there. It was normal for a girl her age to care about her image, right?

Seconds felt like an eternity as she waited for the florist to give an answer. Her palms were starting to turn clammy with sweat. The heat from the summer’s blaze bore down on her mercilessly. The weight of her beloved guitar felt strangely heavy on her. At this rate, Sungyeon just wanted to back out. She was being too obvious. No way Yewon was going to agree to this. No way in hell was she actually going to say-

“Yes.”

Sungyeon blinked. Twice.

“What did you say?”

Yewon showed off her sunny smile, no traces of uncertainty or disgust to be found. “I said yes.”

“Oh.” That was easier than she expected. “G-great! I’ll… pick you up? At your house? 7pm? Is that okay?”

“Sure!” Yewon responded enthusiastically.

Dumbfounded as she was, Sungyeon managed to shake off the idiotic look on her face and began to reluctantly walk backwards away. “I’ll text you when I’m outside,” the busker said, her cool facade starting to fade away the more steps she took. “See you later!” she sheepishly waved at the florist, who returned it back bubbly. As she turned around to face where she was going, Sungyeon couldn’t help the urge to fist-pump the air, much to the amusement of the florist watching her go.

 

---

 

Sungyeon’s mind was plagued with second thoughts again. Her foot tapped an eccentric rhythm on the ground as she stood waiting by the wall outside of Yewon’s house. She shoved her hands deep into the pockets of her jeans, trying to restrain herself from fidgeting around. The familiar weight of her guitar was missing, it being left at Nayoung’s abode. She wished she had it right now. On the exterior, Sungyeon would seem nervous from an outsider’s point of view. Inside, she really was just a mess.

‘What if she actually just thinks of this as our usual friendly get-togethers? What if she’s only doing this out of pity? Worst, what if she wants to back out of this? Damn it! Why did I even think this was a good idea!?’ Sungyeon’s noisy thoughts kept floating around in her head. She was too distracted by them to actually notice the presence of another person approaching next to her.

“Sungyeon?”

The busker almost jumped out of her skin when she felt a hand landing on her shoulder. She turned to her right and…

“Wow.” Sungyeon gaped.

She knew it would be cheesy to think that Yewon couldn’t be any more beautiful, but holy cow, she was so wrong.

The black button-up Yewon wore, tucked into a pair of denim shorts, complemented her figure nicely. The shorts accentuated her thighs. Not that Sungyeon was staring or anything. They just happened to be in her field of vision. But what really got the busker’s attention the most was her hair. Those long caramel brown tresses were now unbound from a ponytail, flowing down like silk from the crown of her head.

Case in point, Sungyeon was starstruck.

Releasing a light giggle, Yewon stepped forward and reached out to the busker’s chin, cradling it. “Close your mouth before a fly gets in there,” she smirked.

“Yes, ma’am,” Sungyeon obeyed.

Yewon’s features softened, her eyes gazing back at the busker with uncertainty. Her hand trailed down and gently held onto the other’s wrist. “Just so we’re clear, you are taking me out on a date, right? I’m not misreading anything?” she asked, a tint of hope in her voice.

Sungyeon raised her eyebrows. Her heart was still pounding, but it has lulled into a normal pace.

The other girl felt the same way as her.

Her panic and worry from before seemed silly now.

“Yeah, I am taking you out on a date,” Sungyeon said seriously. Her hands found Yewon’s own, holding on to them firmly but not too tight. The smile being given to her could have ended all wars and have filled the world with sunshine and rainbows. Maybe it was a little too fast and idealistic to think about this, but Sungyeon would love to be the reason for making the florist smile like that.

Every day, after.

 

---

 

“Will we still be okay?”

“What do you mean?”

“When you have to leave.”

Sungyeon knew what she meant. She dreaded it, of course.

They’ve returned to the special bench where they sang together for the first time, taking a breather after leaving the cinema where they watched a trashy horror movie. It went as well as anyone can imagine when two scaredy-cats are forced to watch one. Sungyeon thought it would be a great idea. She found out the hard way that she still couldn’t handle jumpscares and sudden scare chords. At least it meant being in close proximity of the florist, as the both of them kept clinging to each other for safety throughout the whole movie.

Yewon’s head rested snugly on the crook of the busker’s neck, her thumb rubbing imaginary circles on the ridges of Sungyeon’s knuckles. The pause, waiting for a reply, was deafening. Opening her eyes, Yewon looked up expectantly at her...girlfriend? Was that what they are now? Friends seemed off at this point of their relationship. Could they even still be just friends if it didn’t work out?

Sungyeon felt the florist’s intense gaze from her right. She really was taking a tad too long to answer this.

“To be honest, I really don’t know,” the busker turned slightly to meet the other’s eyes. “I can’t promise that things will work out when I have to go back.”

“Thanks for being real with me. I appreciate that.” Yewon nuzzled her.

“I really do want this – us – to work out.”

“Me too.”

They shared a quiet moment, relishing in each other’s presence and just enjoying what was left of the day. A night’s breeze blew through the beach, sending a bit of a chill at the two girls. Sungyeon brought up her arm, swinging it over the other’s shoulders protectively to bring her closer for warmth. The florist didn’t mind the thoughtful gesture at all, returning the favour by wrapping her arms around the busker’s waist.

“It’s getting late,” Yewon whispered huskily into her ear. “We should get going soon.”

“Eager to end this date already, huh?” Sungyeon couldn’t resist the urge to tease, though a part of her was sad that they had to wrap this up soon. “Am I really bad company?”

“You know what I meant.” Yewon pouted. “Don’t sell yourself short. I really enjoy being with you.”

If that didn’t get through Sungyeon’s dense head, then Yewon made the extra effort by doing what felt right at the moment.

Kissing her on the corner of her lips.

For the third time today, Sungyeon was left stunned by this one-of-a-kind florist. The cheeky grin by Yewon was not helping it either.

“I don’t kiss on the first date so that didn’t count,” Yewon triumphantly said as she stood up from the bench, a mischievous wink added in for good measure. “Maybe if you took me out more often, I might consider it.”

And all the busker could do was nod eagerly, her vision filled with only her radiant smile.

Sungyeon does not know what lies ahead of her; whether or not her dreams will ever be fulfilled. What she did know was that she didn’t regret stepping foot into Japan and starting this crazy journey. After all, she finally managed to find that one sound which connected with her, and that’s what really mattered.

 

Author's Note: 

Wow! This story finally ended! That took me so long, good lord... I hope the ending didn't seem very rushed. I was having a hard time on whether or not I should make the final chapter a little longer, but I decided not to because I did not want it to be too draggy. Heads up, though! This AU might get a sequel. :)

Thank you to all the readers who have followed along with this from the beginning! I appreciate it! I have more 99line and Pristin fics in store, and I can't wait to post them up so see ya next time ^^