[1] You Never Walk Alone

Guardian Angel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Yoongi groaned.

Someone was banging the door like they wanted to break it down.

"Come in!" Yoongi called sleepily.

"Hyung! Hyung!"

Yoongi opened his eyes. Uh. It was the hyperactive trainee, Taehyung.

"What's up Tae?" Yoongi sat up, lethargically. It's not like he was tired. They never get tired. He just liked sleeping so much. The peace and tranquility it gave him, it's indescribable.

Taehyung was holding a golden scroll, while looking like a kid in a Christmas morning. No wonder, the senior must have sent him in to this important errand to fetch Yoongi.

Yoongi reached out to pat him a good job, and made to grab the scroll.

It had the message that the higher Guardians and the senior Guardians were seeking him.

"Let's go hyung!" Taehyung excitedly told him. Yoongi looked at him. The way his dongsaeng was smiling something told him this kid wasn't just happy because of this simple errand.

Taehyung and Yoongi passed by the Great Hall where various Guardians were busy with their departments.

The new batch of trainees were there, being oriented by Namjoon, one of the senior Guardians, specializing in training new ones.

Then there were the two department of bookkeeper Guardians. One was the bookkeeper of the Guardians. They keep track of all the Guardians from the Above, and those who have gone to the Underground. They keep track of their activities and their assigned living souls on the land. Another department of the bookkeeper Guardians are the ones in charge of the souls on the land. They keep track of the ones soon to be born, so they can immediately assign Guardians and the ones who have departed and assess the life they have lived on the land, whether they can be recruited as Guardians or they can go on to their way to the other world. It's a massive and the busiest department. Everyone knew not to messed up with any of the bookkeeper Guardians.

And then, there was the Tower. They were in charge of the communication. This is where all uttered prayers and requests living souls would sent to their Guardians, consciously or unconsciously. This is one of the top confidential department in the Above.

In actuality, Yoongi, Taehyung and the rest of their peers are more commonly known to living souls as 'Guardian Angels'. But they preferred to be called 'Guardians'.

New trainees greeted Taehyung and bowed to Yoongi, who nodded in acknowledgement. While Yoongi was not officially in the 'Senior Guardians' list, he was considered senior by many. He had been a Guardians long before almost all of them came there. Only a few Guardians have seen Yoongi when he first joined them. So how he had became one was a mystery to almost all of them.

Finally, they reached the Great Hall at the end of the massive place.

"Should I wait for you here, hyung?" Taehyung asked, still smiling and looking giddy.

Yoongi sighed. He's still too tired and sleepy for hyper Taehyung.

"It's okay, Tae. You can go ahead and do your thing. Don't you need to check on your human by now?" Yoongi asked.

"Nope. It's Jungkook's shift now. So he's there with her." Taehyung said promptly. Yoongi only nodded and left Taehyung by the hallway.

 

Yoongi entered the Great Hall and found Jin, one of his close friends and also one of the top Senior Guardians along with High Guardian Si-Hyuk.

Yoongi bowed upon entering, the High Guardian Si-Hyuk motioned for him to come closer.

"You came." Jin smiled.

"We'll make this short, Jin. Yoongi. Because time is running out." Si Hyuk said. Yoongi looked at Jin, looking confused, and the older one only smiled.

"I need to leave for a while, and I need you to replace me during that time, Yoongi." Jin said. "Since you don't have current assignment right now, you're the only one I could think of."

Yoongi blinked, still not processing the whole thing. Jin, leaving his human assignment under his care? Is he insane?

"My human is the most precious soul for me, and I think you're the only one capable of doing an excellent job of looking after her." Jin said, on a more serious note.

It was true. The soul that Jin looks after was quite known among Guardians, because there's nothing Jin talks about but her. He was extremely fond of her. For training purposes, Namjoon sometimes lets the others see how Senior Guardians guards their living souls. With Jin's case, they can see how Jin is deeply in love with her. Not in a romantic way: they are forbidden do that (that was the first lesson they had to undergo with their training), they can see how Jin is deep rooted with his devotion and loyalty with his human. Even after Jin's shift, he has to make sure that she was in a multiple safe bubble that he made especially for her. Jin fell in love with her the moment he watched her born in to the world. In return, they also saw how Jin's hard work and dedication was appreciated. Again, also for training purposes, Namjoon would sometimes let them hear Jin's human's voice, something that was exclusive for the Tower and the Guardians assigned with her. They would hear her always thanking her Guardian Angel for looking after her, for making sure she gets home safely, for when she was afraid Jin would make her feel safe she would immediately call out for him and say she feels his presence and thanking him for making her feel less afraid.

It made the trainees' heart swell with pride and joy, and they all vowed to do the same dedication their senior do when they get their assigned living souls.

Now that Jin was leaving her under Yoongi's care, no one would actually believe it at first if they hear it.

"Why? I mean, I get that she's basically a good soul, even above average than usual good soul, but why are you leaving her suddenly?" Yoongi asked, can't help but be curious.

"Jin here was assigned by the High Guardians on a mission." Si Hyuk explained. "We are all aware of the crisis that there's a huge part of the Earth where children, men and women's lives were unjustly being taken away. Their Guardians were also being dragged down and influenced by the Underground. The Higher Guardians wanted to help those areas with the Senior and powerful Guardians left to bring back our fallen Guardians from the Underground."

"Also, it's been a while since she keeps on praying for those children. I want to do it for her." Jin said, smiling affectionately. Yoongi immediately knew he was talking about his human.

"Why me? I mean, I get that Namjoon's now busy training the new ones, but there's Hoseok too.  And Jimin." Yoongi said. It's not like he was lazy and didn't want the job. But he was skeptic why they were giving him such assignment. Usually, they would give him babies, the newly born ones. Because they require minimum efforts in looking after them. With babies, Yoongi usually watch them from afar. All they do was sleep, eat and sleep some more. Sometimes Yoongi would play with them lightly. They are easily entertained, but that's it. When they turn in to toddler, they would usually be transferred to a trainee Guardian's care. Not because Yoongi isn't capable, but because the trainees need to start working on a actual living soul.

"Jimin was just promoted to Senior level. And Hoseok. You know Hoseok, he still gets distracted easily. I need someone whom I can trust with her." Jin said pointedly. He should  have known Yoongi wouldn't agree in one sitting.

"She's a good girl, if that's what you're worried about." Jin assured her. Yoongi nodded distractedly. He feels uneasy, because it will be a first time in a long while that he will be looking after a grown person. Not that he can even remember the last one  anymore.

"Okay. So it's settled? Her files will be sent to you soon, everything you need to know will be there. Trainees Taehyung and Jungkook will be with you." Si Hyuk said, as he started organizing a few paper works from his desk.

Yoongi's head whipped up. "Taehyung and Jungkook?"

High Guardian chuckled a little. "I understand those two are a little hyper for your liking, but they are good kids and they can help you getting to know your human."

Yoongi nodded and bid his goodbye.

"Thank you for doing this, Yoongi." Jin clasped his shoulders affectionately as they walked out of the hall together.

"I'll do the best I can. I know she's special to you." Yoongi said, carefully. He's not someone who gets attached easily to human souls. Sometimes he doubts if he's even a good Guardian. He does what he was expected to do, and that's about it. But the affection, the devotion and the loyalty the others have for their human, he didn't have those.

"Thank you. You can call me anytime you have questions

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter