Episode 01

The Goodbye We Never Said

Sometimes it is not just about how things ended but how they began.

 

Just like the opening chapter of a good book, the first episode of any new television series should have the ability to hook in its audience and leave them in want of more. Yixing was not worried about the popularity of this game show because their appearances alone in the first episode would entice the viewers. The fans who were heartbroken by the departure and separation of their EXO favorites might cry happy tears. Some of the old Chinese EXO ‘ships’ – yes, Yixing knew about them – might renew, giving the four men each an additional boost of fame. Even those who were not interested in reality shows may give this one a watch, just for the drama that might come out of this unexpected reunion of former EXO.

 

Yixing innocently thought this would be enough and that the director would rest on his laurels and not put as much thoughts into the first episode. But no, he had once again made the mistake of underestimating the director’s ambition and insanity. Apparently, the excitement his controversial guests would bring was not enough – the director planned a first episode that would start things off with a literal bang.

 

At the firing of the starter pistol, everyone sprang into action.

 

The rule was simple – eliminate each other. Points would be allocated to the seven guests based on the order of elimination and the final winner would receive an additional prize. The viewers, of course, would not know the purpose of these points but Yixing’s manager had told him in advance they’d be used for the final episode, which was going to be really intense. All of the guests wore name tags – one on their chest and one on their back. The way to eliminate others was by pouring ink over both of their name tags.

 

As for how to get the ink…this is where the game became interesting. Right in front of each guest was an ink bottle, which they could easily grab. That said, trying to pour a little bottle of ink over moving targets may be difficult, which was why other weapons were provided. There was a water gun, good range and loaded with ink. Zitao was looking at it as if it was his already, though the gun was located a good 50 meters away from his starting point. There were water pistols, which were smaller, had limited range but easier to carry.

 

For fun, there was also a rubber ducky that could squirt ink. Yixing didn’t think it would be any good but anyone who wanted to play up their aegyo could give it a go.

 

Everyone started standing in a circle and the better weapon you wanted, the further you had to run in. Yixing knew right away he was going to end up with nothing except for the bottle in front of him. It couldn’t be helped; his reactions were just naturally slow.

 

Sure enough, it took him a solid two seconds to gather himself after the shot fired. By this point, Zitao was already half way to his water gun.

 

Yixing scooped up the tiny ink bottle in front of him and tucked it in his pocket. Then he turned around and ran, heart pounding as he left the noisy crowd. He took one turn, then another and soon, his world was quiet again but for the sound of his camera man’s laborious breathing.

 

xxx

Everyone’s battle strategy became clear quite quickly after that shot was fired. Zitao was charging in with a loud cry as if this was an actual war and his life was on the line. Yang Mi, one of their only two female guests, ran in after him. Clearly, their time together on Takes a Real Man created a bond and they were teaming up. William Chan, determined to have a good time, had grabbed himself a water pistol and opened fire on Dilraba Dilmurat, even though she was the other lady of the show. 

 

William’s aim was good and Dilraba would have been the first blood had Luhan not tugged her out of the way.

 

This scene alone could cause an eruption as the internet was still full of rumors about Luhan and Dilraba due to how intimately they behaved on the Chinese Running Man. The two initially avoided each other because of those rumors but it became quickly apparent that the media would not rest. Their avoidance of each other only made the paparazzi more curious. Sometimes, one must simply admit defeat to the media storm and join the chaos. It took them a few months but these two seemed to have finally caught on. Looking at them now, dodging from William’s attack hand-in-hand, even Yifan could see the couple potential.

 

That said, there was no real love. How did he know? Because there was no lust in Luhan’s eyes when he exchanged gazes with the woman in his arms. His pupils did not darken with desire, nor did his features take on those subtle changes that would turn his flawless prettiness savage. Luhan in lust turned him from a prancing deer into a creature on the hunt, the same as it did with any man. In that aspect at least, they were all the same.

 

And no lust, no love. That was what Yifan believed and witnessed his entire life.

 

Besides, maybe Dilraba should consider herself lucky. From what Yifan knew of her, she seemed like a sweet, cheerful person who preferred the brighter half of the street. Perhaps she shouldn’t risk being with a man like Luhan, who lured people in with his long-eyelashed prettiness only to deliver them a rude awakening down the line when he revealed their gentle deer actually preferred his bedroom activities on the freakier side. 

 

So caught up in his observation of the couple, Yifan nearly missed the blast of ink Yang Mi sent his way. He dodged in a hurry and ended up falling on his behind. This was frustrating. After his latest photo shoot accident, Yifan really needed to hold onto his cool points in front of the camera. This comedic fall would not help him any and he already knew there was no way the director would edit out something as amusing as this. Thankfully, while scrambling to get away, his hand chanced upon another water pistol, enabling him to return fire.

 

He was luckier than Yang Mi and managed to hit her name tag in the front. Being hit also surprised the actress enough to stop her advance, giving Yifan enough time to stand.

 

“Wait, wait!” It was William’s voice, just loud enough to turn all of their attention from the individual battles. “Aren’t we moving too fast? What about the side missions?”

 

So the guests looked down at themselves. At this point, though they were only twenty minutes in, four of them already carried ink on their name tag. If they continued like this, then most of them would be eliminated before they even got to the side missions, which were little tasks assigned in various areas of this park meant to earn additional points.

 

“Truce for now?” Yifan suggested to the crowd and was satisfied to see guns (and a rubber ducky) lower. One by one, the crowd dispersed. If the director wasn’t going to give them any directions, then they had to take care of things themselves and make sure the day didn’t end too early.

 

xxx

 

“Oh my gosh, it’s Wu Yifan!” A pair of joggers stopped in their path to gawk at him. Phones were pulled out rapidly and cameras were angled to film before Yifan could even slap the signature smirk on his face. “What are you doing here?” They squealed excitedly as they crowded in a little closer. “It is for a show, isn’t it?” The camera man following him made that pretty obvious.

 

“Yes,” he answered simply. Others in the park were drawing closer, pulled in by the commotion the first two girls were making. He was attracting too much attention and soon, would become an easy target for the other guests. “I have to go,” he said, making what he felt like was the right choice. “Have you guys seen anyone else in this park?” By anyone else he meant fellow celebrities. He should have worded himself better but the girls caught on to his meaning.

 

“I think I saw Zhang Yixing over there, but he ran past really fast so I can’t be sure.” One of the girls pointed, directing Yifan’s gaze towards the trees where a small fleck of white could be observed among the green.

 

Great, just his luck.

 

xxx

 

 Yixing was standing underneath a tree, letting its leaves block off the worst of the burning sun. He squinted at the map with slightly slumped shoulders as he mumbled to himself, completely distracted and the perfect target of ambush.

 

Yifan told the camera man to wait for him and approached Yixing slowly from the back. He moved cautiously, pausing when he was three meters away, then again at two meters. By this point he was close enough to shoot but instead of pulling the trigger, he found himself taking a few more steps forward. Less than a meter, that was how far they were apart when he finally came to a complete stop. Yixing remained oblivious to Yifan’s advance, even as his own camera man took notice. Yifan put a hand to his lip and the camera man looked down again, having decided to not tip off Yixing for the sake of professionalism.

 

Yifan waited for Yixing to become aware of his presence but seconds ticked past and still nothing happened.

 

This guy, Yifan wanted to shake his head. He is still as clueless as ever.

 

 

The first time he met Yixing, the other also had a map in his hands. It was a typical weekend afternoon and Yifan was doing some grocery shopping. It wasn’t a bad haul and with an extra smile, he was able to charm a can of soda from the shop owner. As S.M. trainees, they were given a decent amount of monthly allowances. Though it wasn’t enough for luxuries, he had never felt too poor to pay for his own beverages. Free, however, was always better than not and to be honest, Yifan liked the effect his looks sometimes had on people.

 

Today, shop owner noona was beyond kind and along with the soda, she gave him compliments. Those praises played over and over in Yifan’s mind until he felt almost light-headed. He stopped looking at where he was going and a hard collision with a fellow trainee was the unfortunate consequence.

 

Having the size advantage and a free hand to balance himself, Yifan managed to remain solidly standing. The other guy, with both of his hands occupied by a map, however, was not so lucky.

 

“Careful!” Yifan reached out, managing to catch the falling person by the arm. With a hard yank, Yifan helped the other back on his feet.

 

“I am sorry,” the other guy said, giving him an almost formal 90 degree bow of apology. “Please forgive me!”

 

Yifan studied him, somewhat amused. Believe it or not, he actually knew this person. While they’ve never officially met, he’d heard rumors about the Chinese trainee who had a tendency of remaining in the dance studio until midnight. Then, the next morning, he’d be back in there again before the sun even rose. When Yifan first heard about this guy, he’d imagined a man of impeccable good looks with ambition glowing like a fire in his hooded eyes.

 

Clearly, his assumptions were wrong.

 

The man – or really, still teenager – who stood before him had a sweet round face and messy, sweat drenched dark bangs. His eyes, which were revealed when he finally raised his head slightly, were a gentle brown. They were nice eyes, Yifan decided, good sized and thick lashed. However, the other trainee didn’t have much of that intense gaze that all idols were supposed to be able to summon on stage. In fact, the look in this guy’s eyes reminded Yifan of the neighborhood puppy that he used to play with – the one that kept on running into the glass door whenever it saw a squirrel in the yard. As an insensitive kid, Yifan always laughed at its dumbness but was also quick to fetch treats when the puppy turned its confused, pleading eyes on him.

 

So deep in thought, Yifan took too long to notice that the other trainee still remained at the 90 degrees angle, likely because he haven’t received words of forgiveness. This was politeness at its finest. Appreciated by S.M. but not necessarily required on public streets.

 

“It’s not your fault. I wasn’t watching where I was going anyway.” Yifan waved the other off.

 

Finally, with that reassurance, Mister Hardworking straightened. Yifan saw his lips shift to form words of farewell but instead, something different came out. “Wow,” the other mumbled in Chinese. “So handsome.”

 

“Thanks,” replied Yifan, the right corner of his lips lifting. Another compliment to add onto his list for the day, and this one came from a fellow trainee. Yifan must admit, his mood was getting better and better with each passing minute. Perhaps it was because the unexpected praise pleased his growing ego, or maybe the guy’s smooth Chinese reminded him of the childhood he could no longer get back – whatever it was, Yifan decided to introduce himself instead of turning away. “My name is Wu Yifan. You can call me Kris.” He decided to talk in Chinese – just because the other trainee’s Korean (judging by the apology speech earlier) wasn’t nearly as smooth as his mother tongue.

 

He expected an enthusiastic response but the reality was quite different. The other trainee actually seemed to be frozen on the spot by his words, eyes wide as if he couldn’t believe this was happening. Yifan began regretting his decision – someone who worked as hard as this guy likely had a goal in mind. He was probably here just to debut, not to exchange pleasantries and possibly make friends.

 

A few long awkward seconds stretched past and Yifan started considering if he could just…casually walk away. But before he could, the other guy pounced on him.

 

Yes, pounced. Just like that neighborhood puppy did to him once on a rainy day.

 

“My name is Zhang Yixing!” The other trainee’s smile was bright to the point of blinding. After a moment of hesitation, Yifan returned it, though his was not nearly as dazzling. “Can we be friends?”

 

“Uh….”

 

Now it was Yifan’s turn to stare. This was moving way too fast – only first meeting and he was already asking for friendship? But how did this guy know they would get along? They didn’t really know each other yet…

 

Yifan wasn’t used to this. While he got along reasonably well with the other trainees, he didn’t really hang out with them excessively or chat outside of the classes. Other people assumed he was cold from his appearance and often walked away from him because they found him intimidating. This wasn’t really a problem with Yifan, though, because he wasn’t one of those people that needed good friends. As long as he wasn’t being bullied and there were semi-friendly faces in the hallway, he was set. So hhy was this guy so eager for his friendship? Because he was Chinese? Because he didn’t let him fall earlier? Don’t tell him it was because of his handsomeness?

 

Yifan looked back at Yixing, searching that happy little round face for answers. Instead, he only found sincerity and a tiny dimple tucked by Yixing’s lips. There was only one, but somehow that made it even more endearing.

 

“Sure,” he responded before his mind was made up. Maybe he was just doomed to always be a softie towards the cute things.

 

xxx

 

“Zhang Yixing!”

 

The voice startled him.

 

Yixing turned, eyes widening with shock as he scrambled to his feet.  How did he manage to not notice when someone was this close to him?  

 

Yifan was less than a meter away, a somber expression on his face. If that water pistol wasn’t a laughable neon pink, one could have totally imagined this to be some sort of movie scene. Yixing contemplated briefly if he should put his hands up or run away but figured at this range, he’d get hit no matter what. Perhaps he should try negotiating, which was something the show encouraged them to do. After all, some entertaining scenes might come out of it and the guests might end up with more screen time.

 

“Hey…let’s talk about this.” He agreed to be on this show so he needed to push himself to play, even if all he wanted to do was go home and end things as soon as possible.

 

Luckily for him, the negotiation didn’t actually end up happening as a powerful splash of ink hit Yifan on his back. It was Zitao, his aim was dead on but after watching Takes a Real Man, Yixing couldn’t say he was surprised. Then, before any words could be exchanged, Yifan chose to turn around so he could see who the culprit of this sneak attack was. That was, however, a mistake because all he did was to give Zitao access to the name tag he wore on his chest.  

 

WU YIFAN. OUT.

 

First eliminated, poor Wu Yifan’s heart must be bleeding. He pretended he didn’t care but Yixing knew how much the former EXO-M leader liked to win. The entire EXO had to hear him whine for three days after filming their group appearance on the Korean Running Man, because he got eliminated so quickly and ‘uncoolly’.

 

But this was no time to pity someone else for Yixing was also in the line of fire. Picking up the water pistol Yifan dropped, Yixing rolled to the side and tried to get a clear shot of Zitao, who had emerged from the bushes he was hiding behind to assess the damage he’d done. He would have gotten a hit in except Yang Mi, Zitao’s teammate, came with him. She blocked Yixing’s shot and was declared the second elimination of the game.

 

As always, Zitao chose to be over dramatic and shouted over Yang Mi’s OUT as if a bandit had murdered his actual family. Then, he took revenge for her and called Yixing’s participation in the first episode to an end.

 

Three of them: Yixing, Yang Mi and Yifan were told to take a break. They still had to come together for the final scene after they figured out the winner but since the Luhan pair and William were on a whole different map, it might take some time still. “Why don’t you guys go for lunch?” One of the staff members suggested, pointing to a quaint looking Korean restaurant in the corner.

 

Yixing was hungry so he agreed without much thought. He expected Yifan to find himself another place and was baffled when he found all three of them sitting down at the same table with steaming stone bowl rice in front of each. The atmosphere became uncomfortable again and Yixing tried to ignore the gathering of tension by digging into his food. And to be honest, his meal was so well seasoned that it deserved his undivided attention anyway.

 

Yixing carried on eating; not realizing that a partial smile had been restored to his face from getting good food alone and that someone else was watching him and reminiscing.

 

xxx

 

“What are you doing?”

 

A hand had swiftly snatched away Yifan’s spoon before the tasty content could make its way between his lips.

 

“Eating, clearly.” Yifan made a grab to get his spoon back and glared in frustration when his palm hit nothing but air.

 

“You have to mix it properly! You can’t just eat it straight like this.” Yixing gave him a stern look, clearly disappointed by his supposed best friend’s lack of appreciation for food. “Here, I’ll do it for you.” With a light ‘hmph’, the younger male took Yifan’s stone bowl from him. Using the pair of scissors helpfully provided by their waitress, Yixing cut through the egg in the middle of the bowl and allowed the still soften golden yoke to pour forth onto the rice, meat and vegetables. Then, making a perfect swirl of red with the spicy sauce, Yixing declared the dish ready for mixing.

 

One spoon was not enough, or so Yixing claimed. Two spoons were needed in order to properly push and tuck until everything in the stone bowl was mixed into a colorful, sticky pile of goodness.

 

If the aroma was just delicious before, now it was beyond delectable. 

 

 “There,” he gave a content smile as he passed one of the spoons back to Yifan. The other spoon he clean before putting aside. Not a single grain wasted, that was his motto. “Now you can eat.”

 

“Stop being such a foodie or you’ll gain it all back,” Yifan warned, casually lifting Yixing’s shirt under the table and pinching with long fingers the final bit of belly chub the other’s ten-hours-a-day dance practices couldn’t take away.

 

“Stop that!” Yixing swatted his hand away, his anger only half playful as this was a sensitive spot of his. Too many people had told him he was fat during his time here, some with kind intentions and others out of pure rudeness. Those comments left a mark and though he’d been trying to hide just how sore he still was about it, the insecurities still sometimes crawled to the surface and revealed themselves as snappy remarks.

 

“Alright, alright, don’t be mad.” Yifan raised his hands into the air as a gesture of surrender. “I am sorry, okay? Will treat you tonight to make up for it.” 

 

“You don’t have to.” Yixing returned his attention to his own food, his tone suggesting that he shall not to be so easily placated this time.

 

This is what happens when you become close with someone. Yifan inwardly sighed, remembering the good old times. When their friendship first started, Yixing was the sweetest guy ever. He texted often and did not seem to mind if Yifan did not text back. He shared random stories about his day without needing Yifan to respond with too much energy. He was even okay with Yifan forgetting his birthday after preparing laboriously and celebrating Yifan’s with him.

 

Now, two years down the line, Yixing ditched his politeness around him. Lost his temper more easily and stopped worrying about his appearance when it was just the two of them watching television in Yifan’s messy dorm room. If those girls who sometimes giggled at Yixing on their way to school knew how their cute dimpled oppa ate chips until he was too full to move and got crumbs all over his shirt, they’d be appalled. That said – Yixing didn’t indulge in junk food like that too often. He had to watch his weight closely those first two years and now, though his weight was relatively stable, he still kept an eye firmly on the scale.

 

“I am supposed to pay anyway, since I am older. Chinese tradition, isn’t it the same for your area?”

 

That got Yixing’s attention. Being away from home, Yixing loved to talk about China and the culture there. “Actually, yes! But it doesn’t seem fair, does it, since the younger person doesn’t have to do anything in return. I wouldn’t feel good if people kept on just paying for me all the time…”

 

“Well, no, you do have to pay. Not in money but in respect.” Yifan pulled up his signature smirk. “You should be calling me ge and listening to everything I say.”

 

Yixing snorted at such ridiculousness but for some reasons, decided it wouldn’t hurt to play along this once “Alright, ge. Your little brother will pour wine for you.” He bowed his head, feigning demureness as he poured some hot tea into Yifan’s cup. “Are you well pleased?”

 

Now it was Yifan’s turn to laugh. He would have told Yixing he resembled a Japanese geisha more than a dutiful little brother with that look he gave just now, but maybe he’d risked the other’s anger enough for one night. “So what did you want to talk to me about anyway? I thought you had some news?”

 

“Oh yeah!” Foodie Xing must have focused so hard on his dinner that he forgot everything else. “I got a new roommate.”

 

Getting a new roommate was common enough for trainees. People quit often once they lose hope. Some of them only stick around for two years, some leave even earlier than that. Never to worry, though, there were plenty eager young people out there, ready to replace any drop outs. Yifan had his roommate switched twice already so hearing Yixing was getting a new one was no surprise.

 

“Is he rude to you or something?” There must be a reason Yixing was calling this important news and the only thing Yifan could think of was bullying. That was what Yixing’s old roommate did, after all, and why Yixing spent so much of his time in the dance studio in the beginning. Anything to get away from his dirty looks, or so Yixing told him four months into their friendship. Yifan supposed in the long run, the other guy’s pettiness actually helped Yixing in becoming the excellent dancer he was now. Funny how life worked.

 

“No, he’s Chinese!” Yixing smiled. “His Chinese was really fluent when we chatted and his Korean too.” There was admiration in his voice. Yifan understood – though Yixing’s been around for two years, his Korean was still not up to par. Languages just didn’t come to him as naturally as music and dancing, he supposed. “He is also really handsome!”

 

Somehow that sentence irked him.  Yixing was generous with his compliments when it came to other trainees but in terms of appearance, he never called anyone really handsome except for Yifan.

 

“Did he tell you his name yet?” Yifan put down his tea cup. He might need to go see this really handsome Chinese trainee himself, just to confirm Yixing’s claims.

 

“Oh yeah, he told me. It’s Luhan.”

 


notes; hello friends, here is the second chapter! this chapter is flashbacking to yixing's early years. i know younger!xing seems different from older!xing but that's to be expected, right? he was cuter back then and more affectionate. now, he's just lost too much to stay that adorable. u.u yixing and yifan met first so this chapter is mostly on them. i'll have luhan next chapter and tao zi in the one after. the other exo members will come as well~

please leave your comment and tell me what you think of this chapter. i need the love and support, okay?  ;SHAKES YOU ALL