Chapter Two: Mesopelagic Zone – Away from the sea, who are you?

Genesis Of The Ocean
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The mesopelagic (Greek μέσον, middle) (also known as the middle pelagic or twilight zone) is that part of the pelagic zone that extends from a depth of 200 to 1000 metres (~660 to 3300 feet) below the ocean surface.
 

“So you just brought her here? I’m only a student Jackson, I’m not a doctor”.

Mark says, as he takes out his doctor equipment from school, and kneels in front of Coventina, who is now wearing one of Jacksons large sweaters.

“You’re the closest thing we have at the moment.” Jackson responds, sitting on the couch next to Coventina, holding her arms back.
“It won’t hurt,Ok?” Mark says to her, as her brings a circler item up to her heart.

Coventina reaches her hand up and tries to touch the boys hair, wondering how it looks so soft and perked up.

“Stop it, man” Jackson cries, grabbing her arm and holding it back down.

“Jackson this is really weird” Mark says, taking the plugs from the strange item out of his ear.

“What is it?” Jackson asks.
“Her heartbeat, it’s weird. It’s really fast, not in a nervous way, it’s just naturally very fast, it’s pumping blood at double the speed any human could do.” Mark explains.

“Then should we take her to the hospital?”

“No, I think she should stay with us. Hear me out, if I can figure out why her heart is like this, then my paper will get an A. I don’t think it’s deadly, all other symptoms are fine. Her heart is just fast, it’s amazing. I’m going to monitor it over the next few days, so she has to stay here!” Mark says, whining slightly and pouting his lips at Jackson.

“Mark, what if she has a family, what if people are looking for her?” Jackson explains.

“If she does we’ll see it on the news, then we’ll take her to her family. I mean, we can’t just throw her out on the streets.”

Jackson sighs, Mark was right, as usual.

Coventinas confused, when were they going to take her back to the ocean?

“Do you have a name?” Mark says, looking up into Coventinas eyes.

-My names Coventina, and I’m the heir to the oceanic throne so let me go! Coventina says in her head, but she knew they wouldn’t hear her. Unless someone knows her secret, she will never be able to talk on this human land. 

“How about we call you Coral? Because your hair is pink like a coral reef” Mark suggests.

Coventina smiles, she’s impressed by this humans knowledge of the Ocean and she nods her head.

“Hah! So you understand us?” Jackson explains, jumping up and pointing at Coventina.
She nods again.

“Well, Coral it is!” Mark says, putting his strange human objects back in a bag and walking away.

Jackson begins to pace the room, and Coventina decides to mock him.

She places one foot in front of another, just like Jackson and begins to propel herself forward.

-I’m walking like the humans! She thinks as she walks across the floor towards Jackson.
“Listen” Jackson says, turning around and almost knocking Coventina over.

“Mark has school soon, and I have to do an Orca show tonight. So this is what we’re going to do. I’m going to give you one of Marks sisters dresses she left here, and you can stay at a Café across from where I work, OK?” Jackson says, and Coventina nods, not sure what a dress is, but not wanting to upset a human. Her life, after all, was at his mercy.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/3e50b4f664eeaa9f31d62f202138173a/tumblr_mtzunvvgau1rihuw0o4_1280.jpg

A dress, it’s a weird thing. It’s sorta like a fish tale, but for your upper body. It’s comfortable, actually.

Jackson gives Coventina big pink purse to go with it, filling it with random items such as pieces of paper and a strange robot square.
“This is a cell phone” Jackson says, handing it to Coventina.
“My mom uses it when she visits from China, if you want to call me, just hit this button here” Jackson says, pointing at the number 1.

Coventina nods, and her and Jackson walk out of the room.

The drive was short, and within minutes Coventina arrived at a small oceanside Café called “Ocean Breeze Café”.

Jackson gets out of the car and walks over to Coventinas door, “OK Coral, this is Ocean Breeze Café”. He explains, “and you see that over there- that’s where I work. My show is only an hour so I’ll be back a little after that.”

Coventina stares at him, wondering what she's supposed to do next.

Jackson sighs, “I'll go in with you to buy a drink, but that’s it”

Coventina follows Jackson through the doors, and into a sunlit room full of chairs and the smell of something Coventina had never experienced. It was a strong aroma, sorta like the smell of salt when you breach the service of the water, but bitter instead of savory and sour.

'I hate the smell of coffee beans' Jackson says, wiping his nose.

-Ah, the smell is something called coffee beans.

Jackson and Coventina walk up to the counter, and Jackson rings a small bell.

'Hello welcome to Ocean Breeze Cafe how may i- oh. It's you. Still using animals for your own welfare?' Says a strange boy. Coventina is struck by the appearance of this boy. Jackson is manly, like the statues you find at the bottom of the ocean, but this boy with the milky white skin and dark yellow hair was different. He was very good looking, yes, but his looks seemed familiar, like someone Coventina had seen in a dream.

'Yeah Kevin, still sticking your nose in places it doesn’t belong in?' Jackson says back, so the strange boys name is Kevin?

'What can I get for you, miss?' Kevin asks Coventina, turning his attention away from Jackson.

Coventina stares at the pictures on the wall, until she sees a bright red one.

The red drink reminded her of the first time she saw a blood moon. A blood moon happens every 50 years, and it's a rare occasion where all the merpeople go to the surface of the water, and celebrate. We sing ancient songs, pray to God, and play along the surface currents.

The first time Coventina saw a blood moon she was still a young mermaid, only 20 years old.

In human years that's about the age of 10. Mermaids age very slow, our years are marked by the alignment of the moon and mercury. When mercury shows in the sky next to the moon a year has passed in mermaid age, and we turn another year older. A mermaid can live for a thousand years, if they're healthy. However, just like humans we get diseases too. Well, most of our diseases come from humans…

A blood moon is exactly what it sounds like, it’s a dark red moon. It vibrates the ocean, turns the floor of it maroon. On that night every marine creature, even the smallest fish, it equal, and no one hunts but feasts on the energy of the moon. It also enhances our supernatural powers, filling us with enough strength to last till the next blood moon.

Coventina thinks about this as she raises her finger to point at the red drink.

Kevin turns and looks, 'ah a passion tea lemonade?'

Coventina nods.

'No problem, whats your name?'

Coventina looks at jackson, 'her names Coral' jackson answers.

Coventina turns to Kevin and nods her head.

'Can she not speak for herself' Kevin asks, as he writes her name down in black ink.

'She's mute, actually.' Jackson says.

Kevin looks taken aback, but then nods.

'That'll be 4.50' he says.

Jackson hands Kevin some form of money, and then walks Coventina to a table.

'I'll be back in about an hour and a half, ok? Remember if you need to call me just hit the number 1 on the phone'.

Coventina nods, and sits down, putting her bag on the table.

'Ok, see you soon Coral.' Jackson says, then walks away.

Coventina sits there, not sure what to do, not sure what not to do.

'One order for a passion tea lemonade' Kevins voice says, and Coventins turns to see the red drink she ordered.

Kevin places it on the table and sits in the seat ac

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter