12th Shot

Snapshot
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

After taking their breakfast, the company were gathered once again in a hall for a few more reminders and debriefing. Much to the artists and some of the staffs’ liking, it did not take long for everyone but two groups to be dismissed as their first activity was located in the said hall.

 

“Gather at the center, everyone!” Minjoon, one of the marketing staffs Moonbyul recognized, said. He explained the mechanics of the game. “Welcome to your first activity!”

 

As much as Moonbyul tried to look even the slightest interested, she couldn’t. The instructions given by Minjoon fell on deaf ears. Moonbyul, who was sitting at the back of her group’s line, just kept glancing around the hall. She saw Eunae, whom she thought would be her lifesaver, with the other trainees. She was not blaming her for not sticking to her like what the younger one said, but she wished she had someone to talk to that moment. Suddenly, the furnitures and the overall feel of the hall seemed to be more interesting than anything else. That, until she caught sight of Yongsun whose group she did not know was with them in the hall. Unknowingly, a grin was formed on her lips. Moonbyul glanced in front to look if anyone was paying attention to her. Everyone was too occupied by the instructor. With that, Moonbyul silently scooted her way to the other group.

 

“So, I have here two sets of paper that I’ll be handling out to each of the two groups. These papers that will be taped behind your backs will contain words that usually have a pair or a partner.” Minjoon continued to introduce the game they will be having. 

 

Yongsun nodded at his words, completely focused. Frankly enough, she actually found the game fun and interesting. Something someone she knows doesn’t feel about the game. And that someone, suddenly appeared beside of her. Moonbyul made her presence known by tapping Yongsun’s shoulder. 

 

“Hello, Ms. Pretty Yong,” Moonbyul greeted, a smile lingering on her lips. “Didn’t know you’re here too.”

 

The mere appearance of the younger woman have crumbled the focus and attention Yongsun had been giving to Minjoon. Yongsun took pride of her ability to remain focused on something and being able to push away distractions, but at that moment, she almost laughed at herself. She looked at Moonbyul, eyes wide, and she was actually surprised to see her there, beside her, too.

 

"Moonbyul," she whispered. "How long have you been there?"

 

Moonbyul hummed as she look at her wrist, pretending as if she had a wristwatch there. When she look back at Yongsun, she grinned. "Well, long enough to stare at your beauty."

 

There goes the fluttering feeling inside Yongsun's stomach again. The urge to push Moonbyul far away from her was strong, but she didn't want to make a scene. Instead, she hugged her torso. If only there was nobody else in the same room as them, she thought. Yongsun wanted to retort. Anything she wanted to say just to wipe that smug look on Moonbyul's face as seconds tick by, but her mind was a mess. It was blank. Much to Yongsun's relief, though, Moonbyul released a quiet chuckle and took back what she said.

 

"But honestly, I just came when I got your attention. I thought, why not bother this cute lady? So here I am."

 

She’s going to be the death of me, Yongsun thought. Her gaze was torn away from Moonbyul and she willed herself not to blush at the younger one’s words. She tried. And failed. Moonbyul noticed the tinge of redness on the secretary’s chubby cheeks and she could not help but to quirk the end of her lips in satisfaction. 

 

“Shut up,” Yongsun muttered, enough for Moonbyul to hear. She redirected her attention to the speaker in front and was genuinely surprised when suddenly they were instructed to get up and fall in line. “What— what are we doing?”

 

Yongsun was looking around in hope to poke someone and ask what was going to happen. Moonbyul, on the other hand, have managed to sneak back to her group. Yongsun could only care less. What was more important that moment was to know how the activity was going to work. The people lined up according to their groups and Yongsun made use of the moment to ask the person in front of her.

 

”Hi, excuse me,” she spoke. “I’m sorry but could you tell me what we’re going to do and what’s happening now?”

 

The man chuckled. He could not just believe what he had heard. Yongsun felt even more embarrassed. “Guess you were too occupied when Minjoon was explaining. Basically, a paper will be taped behind us. This paper will contain a word that usually has a partner and it will come from the other group. Say, spoon and fork, or peanut butter and jelly. Now, we’ll have to guess this word by asking the members of the other group anything about it. Like, is it big or small, or edible or not. Can you still follow?”

 

Yongsun nodded. 

 

The man, Eric, as it was written on his name tag, moved forward as the line shortened. Then he continued, “Good. So, Minjoon said we can only ask  thrice. Then we move to somebody else. Once you’ve guessed your word, look for your partner. Sit down. We’ll be given about five minutes to get to know each other and find at least three things in common. That’s it.”

 

Moonbyul overheard everything since she was just a few feet away. The first thing she thought, boring. Yongsun liked the idea though. She’d get to talk to a lot of people even just for a short while, but that might actually be enough for her to connect and make friends with some. As a newbie in the company with friends that can only be counted with her fingers, it was more than appealing. The thought of it excited Yongsun more, and it was very obvious. Moonbyul almost chuckled in amusement seeing the glimmer in her eyes.

 

”Ah, before I forget. Your partner must know his or her word too before you two could settle down and talk,” Eric added. He flashed a smile at Yongsun when she said her thanks. After excusing himself, it was his turn to have his word taped on his back. And it went on until everyone had their words on them.

 

The game started at the blow on Minjoon’s whistle. All at once, the people approached randomly, asking this and that about the word. Yongsun was obviously one of them. She welcomed every person who tapped her back or held on to her hand. She answered and asked back with a smile. A complete opposite to somebody from the other group. Moonbyul stayed away from the others. She was only observing them.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter