275mm

소나기 — a collection of MinHyunBin stories

275mm.

Hyunbin noticed it when he visited Minhyun's apartment for the first time, the small rented dorm was neat and tidy considering how it was occupied by a busy, adult male. There were little space in the dorms, from the narrow entry-way to the compact living room with simple amenities, and the model would recall the days they cramped up together on the two-seater sofa, fighting and pushing with their feet for leg space on the cushioned space. Eventually, they'll give up, resting their legs on top of one another, tangled together as they watch the TV droned on, sometimes falling asleep just like that.

Someone had wanted snacks - and in Hyunbin's case, a little bit of beer to go with the supper plans. He had slipped into one of Minhyun's slippers for ease and comfort as the elder was fighting the microwave to heat up some pizza, and noticed how they framed his feet with no more, no less. It's a perfect fit of the most flowery-patterned slippers he's seen in his life ( he would amend that statement in present time, considering how many odder patterns he's seen throughout his career as a runway model ). For some reason he had thought Minhyun's shoe size was smaller, just like how he was surprised by the differences in their hand sizes, with the singer's fingers on the shorter side in comparison. It's still a perfect fit regardless, with Hyunbin covering his hand in a snug hold in their private time together away from prying eyes.

They have the same shoe-size.

Minhyun noticed it on their third ( unofficial-turning-into-something-official ) date, when they met in the tea cafe in an obscure, artsy neighbourhood in Seoul. It's the time where their relationship started to blossom, all the while weaving in between the states of 'just friends' and 'being attracted to', where accidental graze of elbows during their walks spurred an almost instantaneous jump in opposite directions from both parties, before slowly moving close again. It's the stage where they were starting to get acquainted - close - to one another, as a hyung-dongsaeng friendship that always somehow meant to suggest more, with lingering gazes and the upwards curl of their smiles, with the touch of the tips of their shoes when they sat opposite each other.

The model had arrived after an early photo shoot, slipping into the chair quietly as Minhyun worked, papers strewn across the desk. No caffeine from the shared pot of green tea could keep Hyunbin awake, and the lack of conversation only had the younger stifling a yawn every few minutes or so, followed by the singer's soft apology of 'sorry Hyunbin-ah, just give me five more minutes' amid sounds of shuffling papers. Arms folded on the rustic table, the raven could see Hyunbin's head slowly lowering onto them, long eyes fluttering to a shut to the lull of the quiet cafe and slow whirl of the overhead fans. 

He had paused briefly to look up at the other, pen still held between his fingers. He was feeling apologetic for being a horrible date ( well, depending if Hyunbin saw that as a date too ), but even then a smile fought its way onto his lips as he watch Hyunbin napped, freshly dyed brown hair shining under the glow of the late-afternoon sun. Minhyun chewed on the insides of his cheeks, and then the corner of his lips in full concentration, trying to push himself just a little bit away from the table without creating too much noise nor moving too much.

And there, in a mildly awkward position where no one would see in the desolate cafe, he took a peek under the table. Their towering heights often made a simple task like seating difficult, lanky legs fighting for space in most places, resulting in accidental ( sometimes, not so accidental ) kicks every other day. They've learned to match up to each other by now, feet pressed against each other either by the tips or the sides. Just like that third date. Minhyun found his smile widening, eyes turning into crescents in the neat and perfectly-aligned feet, Hyunbin's pair on either side of his own. 

Having the same shoe-size have its pros.

It's evident when they moved into the new place, and their shoe cabinet started to fill up very quickly with their different selection of shoes. From his classic black and white shoe collection to Hyunbin's chic leather shoes and daring studded boots, their cabinets were like a shoes store's display, a range of different styles and colors but all in the same size. They started unboxing their collection by dividing up the cabinets into equal portions, two doors' worth each as they piled in their shoes.

It didn't stay that way for long. The initial 'hyung, let me borrow this pair for today?' and 'Hyunbin-ah, do you have a good pair of dress shoes?' turned into silent agreements and mutual understandings, and the shoes started shifting places. Minhyun found himself opening the doors of Hyunbin's supposed side of cabinet in search of his own shoes, and Hyunbin found himself rummaging through Minhyun's shoes for styles he'd occasionally wear, but didn't felt the need to buy. It wasn't a bad thing, considering how they had similar and different tastes, and sharing them only broadens their choice.

( They also enjoyed the secret novelty of wearing something that belonged to the other, like a secret message only each other would know, a hidden token of affection. It's the only thing they could do in public eye, anyway, because they could not even hold hands when anyone else was around them. )

Then again, having the same shoe-size does have its cons too.

It took a great deal of effort not to plant his face into his palm when he realised his Comme Des Garcons sneakers were gone, especially not after his hands roamed past rows and rows of worn shoes in all sorts of weather. Eyes closing as he let out a long drag of air, Minhyun made his way to the kitchen to wash his hands, silently huffing at his lover for stealing the pair of shoes he had planned to wear. The singer would not classify himself as a fashionista, but he's well-dressed, outfits matched the night before in his mind, pulling together images of shirts and bottoms, mixing and matching as according to his mood.

Fishing the mobile from his back pockets, Minhyun send in a quick Kakao text to his boyfriend, throwing in a huffing emoji all the same. Now, he's got to find the other pair of white sneakers in the messy pile.

〈 ✉ Kwon Hyunbin 〉 hyunbin-ah, did you happen to see my pair of comme des garcons?
〈 ✉ Kwon Hyunbin 〉 look downwards?
〈 ✉ Kwon Hyunbin 〉 you're looking at it.

〈 ✉ Minhyunnie Hyung 〉 nope, what comma da garfield?
〈 ✉ Minhyunnie Hyung 〉 ...ah
〈 ✉ Minhyunnie Hyung 〉 hehehe.
〈 ✉ Minhyunnie Hyung 〉 how did you know?

〈 ✉ Kwon Hyunbin 〉 ㅍㅅㅍ
〈 ✉ Kwon Hyunbin 〉 hmm...make a guess?

The raven should have expected it, given how often Hyunbin's been wearing the white sneakers with a red heart these last few weeks. Ever since the first comparison of him surfaced on the net, the model has been subtly joking about the resemblance through the weeks, and his subtle was not nearly as subtle enough to be overlooked. Minhyun had sighed in defeat after his lover's tenth attempt to 'draw a perfect sketch of hyungie~' with a lopsided heart and slanted eyes, giving a belated chuckle at the taller male's persistence on the subject. The singer didn't even think of it as viral-worthy or notable, but Hyunbin was having fun with it, and he rolled with it.

His lovely fans gifting him with apparel from the said brand didn't negate the jokes one bit, even if he too, was starting to feel the endearment about the comparison. Well, it wasn't as if he disliked it in the first place.

The handphone vibrated in his pockets non-stop, in between him rushing to grab his keys and towel, shuffling through the empty apartment before his manager arrived to holler at his tardiness ( he's never late, but his manager liked to double make-sure of that ). Slipping into one of Hyunbin's denim-sneakers, Minhyun half-hopped out of the apartment, frantic hands grabbing onto his leather backpack before it slide off his shoulders before he rummaged for the electronic device. A slew of texts came to view, and the elder let out a soft laugh that echoed in the elevator as he descend into the basement floor.

〈 ✉ Minhyunnie Hyung 〉 I didn't know you wanted to wear it today, hyung.
〈 ✉ Minhyunnie Hyung 〉 ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ don't be mad at me
〈 ✉ Minhyunnie Hyung 〉 when does your schedule end?
〈 ✉ Minhyunnie Hyung 〉 I'd buy a nice dinner
〈 ✉ Minhyunnie Hyung 〉 hyung's fave, galbijjim!!
〈 ✉ Minhyunnie Hyung 〉 really!! 
〈 ✉ Minhyunnie Hyung 〉 hyung?
〈 ✉ Minhyunnie Hyung 〉 hyung u there?
〈 ✉ Minhyunnie Hyung 〉 hyung. Minhyun hyung!!!
〈 ✉ Minhyunnie Hyung 〉 Hwang Minhyun!!
〈 ✉ Minhyunnie Hyung 〉 please answer me ㅠㅠㅠ hi-yeong ㅠㅠ
〈 ✉ Minhyunnie Hyung 〉 I didn't mean to wear it 
〈 ✉ Minhyunnie Hyung 〉 but I guess this means great minds think alike? haha
〈 ✉ Minhyunnie Hyung 〉 hyung ㅠㅠ please laugh ㅠㅠㅠㅠ don't be mad

〈 ✉ Kwon Hyunbin 〉 crazy brat
〈 ✉ Kwon Hyunbin 〉 ...just galbijjim?
〈 ✉ Kwon Hyunbin 〉 joking. also i stole your denim converse.
〈 ✉ Kwon Hyunbin 〉 i am craving for galbijjim though~ but my schedule ends at seven.

〈 ✉ Minhyunnie Hyung 〉 what's mine is yours ;)
〈 ✉ Minhyunnie Hyung 〉 but what's yours is yours too, ofc ;))
〈 ✉ Minhyunnie Hyung 〉 my schedule ends late too
〈 ✉ Minhyunnie Hyung 〉 i'd wait. let's eat together
〈 ✉ Minhyunnie Hyung 〉 hyung's not mad anymore, right? hehe
〈 ✉ Minhyunnie Hyung 〉 i love you 💕

〈 ✉ Kwon Hyunbin 〉 keke idiot
〈 ✉ Kwon Hyunbin 〉 ok. got to go.
〈 ✉ Kwon Hyunbin 〉 i know, idiot.

At least, at the end of the day, Hyunbin was Minhyun's very own idiot, and they were both fine with that.

Minhyun had forgotten about the shoes by the time dinner was over, and he was lazing on the couch with legs hitched up, eyes blinking slowly in a post-dinner haze for stuffing an extra bowl of rice with his favourite dish. It's nothing to be picky over, even if the singer had taken a light jab at his younger lover for taking the shoes for the day. So it was a huge surprise when Hyunbin returned to the living room with a shoebox in his hands, towering height blocking out the living room lights as the elder looked up, confusion hanging on his pursed lips. 

"Hnn?"
"A gift. For hyungie."

There's a smug, proud grin on Hyunbin's face as Minhyun blinked, amusement dancing in his eyes and hanging on his lips before he received the present. A familiar looking heart-shaped brand stared right at him, and Minhyun shook his head with a small laugh upon opening the box, finding an exact replica of his own shoes.

"Why did you give me these?"
"Because I keep wearing yours."
"Exactly. I already have a pair, you should just keep this."
"But I've worn yours even more than you. Anyway, it's a gift! You can't deny a gift!"
"...alright, okay."

The model dropped himself on the sofa not too lightly, feet pulled up and crossed on the cushioned seats as he looked at Minhyun expectantly. The raven laughed, head shaking as he cast his gaze back onto the new shoes. For Hyunbin to purchase the exact same shoes and gift it to him, Minhyun  was both surprised and...touched. It was the effort of going down to grab a pair of the shoes, and the thought of giving him something nice, something new. He supposed most people would have bought themselves a pair so as not to take someone else's, but only Kwon Hyunbin would have thought otherwise. And for that reason alone, he found butterflies fluttering in his tummy, a smile spreading across his feline features that he couldn't hold back.

They both knew it wouldn't matter much in the end anyway. They'll wear each other's shoes, and their own shoes, and eventually the line disappears and come one day, they wouldn't even be able to recall which pair was old, and which pair was newer. It's always been like that, as seen from the messy array of shoes as months go by, where colors and types and brands were mixed and matched in their shoe closet.

"Thank you, Hyunbin-ah."

He leaned in to press a kiss onto his boyfriend's cheek, a soft murmur of appreciation under his breath. Thank you, I like it, I love you. A touch of his lips to signify the three phrases in one without spelling it out in spoken words. He's always like that, a little too soft-spoken when it came to words of affection, a little too shy compared to the boldness of his lover. It's probably why they fit so well, settling into the opposites of each other's personality with piqued interest, and a lot more, being tolerant.

"Again."

Minhyun complied, leaning to give a chaste kiss on the other cheek, chuckling at the satisfied smile on Hyunbin's handsome face.

"More."
"...Stop."

The way Hyunbin scrunches his face in childish displeasure had Minhyun laughing, accented 'ha-ha-ha' floating in the room before he found himself lying on the couch in the next instant. He barely had the time to register the muted smack of his back against the cushioned sofa when Hyunbin's face came into view again, arms around his waist, head blocking off the glaring light of the living room. The shoebox lay abandoned on the ground next to the couch, and Minhyun reached up to cup the younger's face as his eyes softened, smile widening.

Hyunbin, who is like an excited puppy in line of wanting affections. Hyunbin, who has had his fill of childish moments. And yet he's just as caring, as sensitive, as deep in his thoughts as an equal would be. Kwon Hyunbin, despite his loud yells and bubbling excitement on rare dates, with his nuzzles against his neck and constant whispers of 'I love you', was a man in his mid-twenties with so much love to give.

The singer's eyes fluttered to a close as he tilted his head upwards while Hyunbin leaned in to meet with his lips. Hyunbin's plush lips were soft and comforting and affectionate, and the kiss deepened with moving lips and light, teasing nips.

And he too, loved every part of him.


a/n: this is probably the longest chapter so far, but i hope it's easy to read. once again, my fanfic twitter is @mhb_sng and i have a curiouscat there, so feel free to hmu and let me know what you think! i have so many minhyunbin ideas lately, but no idea where to start! hopefully i'd be able to brew out something different really soon - as for this series, i also have at least 3 new topics lined up, please look forward to that. leave me comments and i'd get back to ya! ♡ sng