meri kuri

소나기 — a collection of MinHyunBin stories

"Everyone, how are you feeling today? Are you enjoying the concert?"

Lips pulled into a smile as his eyes curled like cresents, Minhyun took a moment to dab the sweat dripping down the sides of his forehead with his towel. The singer took in the cheers from the crowd as he shifted in his seat, a bar stool that stood in the middle of the stage with the spotlight shining upon him. There was a lot of pride when he looked out to the audience, eyes squinting a little under the harsh lights just to see the luminous banners and placards writing his names, and the lightsticks waving in the air. Years ago, as a stumbling teenager standing in someone else's concert venue, he held big dreams to hold a performance of his own just the same.

Today, he's fulfilling that dream once again.

No matter how many times he had performed through the years, no matter how big or small the concert venues were, every stage was a new stage, and he cherished every single one. Eyes closing, the hand not holding onto the mic placed across his chest to feel his heart beat, he took in a deep breath to even out his harsh breathing. Minhyun wasn't a dance singer, even if he has had a couple of dance tracks under his repretiore, especially in his earlier days. But it is in the slower songs where his interests lie, it is in the ballads where his voice was put to the best use, and from the wide-eyed youth who trained day after day to get his steps right, he's now a singer that managed to sell out concerts in Korea and abroad, a singer who is recognized for doing what he loved.

"Thank you for coming here today, spending a very special day with me."

His Japanese was fluent, no thanks to the days and hours put into learning the language, text book in hand regardless of where he went. Minhyun never viewed himself as a talented person, but a hard working one. Every spare moment he had, he channeled it into practice, into learning something new that could be useful for his career. Language skills, dance skills, even acting workshops, Minhyun tried everything out in hopes of keeping up with the times. In hopes of being able to have one more stage. Because every album could be his last, and everyday was a battle with himself to reach for the stars.

Chuckling once more as he scanned the audience amid their warm cheers, roaming past the packed mosh on the first floor up to the second floor's seated area. Eyes fall on the left hand side for a longer second, before he cast his eyes away again. Holding a Christmas concert in Japan was a rather last minute decision on his management's part, but despite his original plans of having a break day, he supposed that this wasn't a bad alternative at all.

Besides, he was here too, together with him.

"Today is Christmas right? So I have to sing a song for the season. Sadly, I don't have my own Christmas song- yes? Ah, no I'm not going to sing Frozen this year- eh, what do you mean I do that every year? I'm going to do something a bit more special, since this is my second Christmas concert. Do you guys know BoA-senpai's 'Meri Kuri'? Yes? It's my favourite song too. Please sing along with me, everyone! Now then, please listen to 'Meri Kuri'."

The stage lights dimmed a little bit, making it less harsh as it turned into a warmer, orange glow. Minhyun raised the microphone to his lips after a moment of preparation, and started the song in the echoing silence in the concert hall, clear voice ringing into the distance.

ふたりの距離がすごく 縮まった 気持ちがした
自然に腕が組めて 冷えた空 見あげた時に

Minhyun is a star. That's what Hyunbin thought as he leaned forward from his seat on the second floor, banner held in his hand along with the lightstick he bought with his own money. Even in the past, he's always thought that the elder shone the most on stage, doing what he loved as he sang his hearts out to the floor. And no matter how many different sides of him Hyunbin had saw, from the most private ones in the spark of the day with his face bloating up from the late night rest, to the general polite smiles at a friend's gathering, seeing Minhyun on the stage as he entrance the audience - including him - was just another magical experience.

The male took a moment to look around, looking at the attentive faces in the dim lighting before focusing his attention back on his boyfriend. On stage, Minhyun is a star, a star that belonged to everyone, not just him. He used to be slightly jealous about this, jealous about the sweet words Minhyun would say to his fans, jealous that there's a lot more love to give than just all to him. Now, he's grown to be more understand, grown to love even this side of him together with many others. To love the Hwang Minhyun on stage as much as he did off the stage, with his perfections and imperfections.

Coming to Japan was a rushed decision, even more so for the model. It's been so long since they shared a day for Christmas, as with any other festive seasons, where it's prime time to work for entertainers like them. But today was different. And as years went by, and their life reached a better stability, with more freedom to rearrange schedules, Hyunbin wanted a day of normalcy. And this was one of the days he could do that, even if the actual private time they could spend together was a few hours before the clock strike twelve.

But he was contented with it, either way.

Eyes closed as Minhyun's voice floated in the air, like magical notes sounding and echoing in the arena, the music instrumental picked up after his first two lines. BoA's Meri Kuri...this was a song he sang year and year again. But hearing it being sung over the phone or hummed as he did his household chores was a totally different emotion compared to the moment there and then, and Hyunbin found himself falling for the man all over again, without fail.

コンビニでお茶選んで 当たり前に分けあって
きみの胸にくるまれている

Tea was always Minhyun's favourite, besides his precious grapefruit juice. Hyunbin himself was more of a coffee person, but with time he was slowly converted to drinking tea. Their house was always filled with tea from around the world, a mix of products either of them bought when they head overseas for their individual schedules. Especially when they're out in cold winter days like these, Minhyun always make a beeline for the warm teas in cafes or convenient stores. Hyunbin watched with his hands stuck in the pockets of his padded jacket, eyes following the elder's shuffling feet to the warm drinks area before he grabbed a hot tea, warming his fingers by tapping onto the sides of the hot can with a satisfied smile on his face hidden by a mask. The model could still see the way his eyes light up in glee, and he himself smiled too, looking more silly than the elder, stepping close enough to rest his chin onto the shorter frame.

"Do you want to get anything, Hyunbin-ah?"

He shook his head, resisting the urge to burrow his face into the croon of his neck despite the enticing smell of peachers. Minhyun shrugged him off to make payment, and Hyunbin just waited at the side - he's going to steal a sip later anyway, because thats how it always was. 

"Shall we go?"

The model nodded, hand slipping around the elder's elbow effortlessly as Minhyun carefully opened his warm tea, eyes wide like an excited fox. The elder leaned slightly towards his direction, and that's all that was needed as they made their way out to the snowy path home.

ずっと ずっと そばにいて
大好きなきみを 見つめてたい
Snowflake きみの暖もりは
冬の贈り物 ほら 雪だよ

Winters used to be days spent in the lonely studios, learning how to dance, how to sing, how to act in front of an emotionless mirror. Winters were lonely and unbearably cold in their small, rundown office, and even when Minhyun kept a smile facing the other trainees that never seem to stay for long, or the staffers, he couldn't help but shudder from the creeping cold seeping deep into his heart. He passed his time by singing to himself late into the night, when he missed the last bus to the dorms and seeked shelther in the empty office area, resting on yoga mats with his sportsbag as a make shift pillow. His jacket was a temporary blanket in the cold studios without indoor heating, but he last through it anyway. 

Come to think of it, Minhyun wondered in mild amusement if his company debut him because of how long he stuck through with them, despite being an agency with low funds and close to zero connections. He worked part time for allowance, singing and busking on the streets even in the cold during school semesters, and then returned to training in the evening. Those days felt like faded memories now, like brown, sepia toned photos from an old abandoned treasure chest. It's incredulous how he made it through those days without much thoughts except for the goal to step on stage, and here he was, doing tours around the world, singing on stages one bigger than the next. 

But Winters were still lonely for the first few years. There's an innate sense of emptiness whenever he completed each stage - indie pubs and music cafes, small auditoriums in universities, music festivals, to award shows and concert arenas. Each step he took along the advancing path, it felt emptier and emptier. 

Until Hyunbin came into the picture.

Granted, he was always someone who kept to himself more. While he did well in social situations, it was difficult having to open up. Things like the weather was a whole level of difference from discussing hardships and obstacles, of the worries in achieving his dreams, of the empty loneliness that was burning a hole in his heart. There was only so much he could say, so much he was able to open up without the fear of being judged for a moment's weakness. He knew that his friends still cared for him, that his family supported him no matter what, but there were some things he took it on himself, like a chip on his shoulders. Then there was Hyunbin, who on first introduction mentioned that he did only his nose while punching his jaw, who nearly slipped on the way out while trying to hold the door for him, who blurted out his confession on their third 'date' before they parted ways near the semi empty ubway station in the middle of the night before running away. 

Hyunbin reminded him of the little things he missed. Of a person to talk about the most random things, of wanting some spontaniety in his life, or embracing changes instead of a fixed schedule, day after day. And it's in that whirlwind of unexpected, that Minhyun found his solace and comfort and a missing piece of his heart.

And winters are finally warm again.

どこかで辛いことや 淋しさに ぶつかっても
きみ想うこの気持ちに 正直でいると誓うよ
メゲるとこれ聴けよって 貸してくれたCDは
きみがくれた 歌のラヴレター

Their story wasn't all rainbows and roses.

He remembered the tears in their journey. The fear of people around them rejecting them, the worry that their schedules will pull them apart. The lack of proper communication in their early days for not wanting to burden one another. Hyunbin remembered those moments as clear as day. He remembered the arguments that spark in their apartment that ended in someone slamming the door. He remembered curling up in Minhyun's arms one night because he could see no path laid by him after his acting controversy as his contract drew near. He remembered when Minhyun was so tightlipped about his family, only to realise that they haven't given him their blessings till later, warming up to Hyunbin like their second son. 

He remembered the up and downs of their shared path, coming back like flash news running on overdrive, in black and while film reels, one after another. From work, to life ideals and more, they both went through a time of learning how to open up. Of appreciating honesty, without hurting one another along the way.

They've fought, they've pushed each other away, they had differences, and they even broke up once. But they learned, they understood, they made do and they progressed. All of that took a long time, and a lot of willingness to open up and respect each other's decisions. Years later, Hyunbin still found his home in Minhyun, and he knew that the latter felt the exact same way.

ずっと ずっと 言いたくて
付きあってくれて ねぇ ありがとう
もっと 好きなヒト強く
抱きしめなさいと 雪は降るの

The weather was sub zero, and the falling snow was just an added statement. But despite the freezing weather, winter was secretly Minhyun's new favourite season, because of how little disturbance as they blend into the crowds in their black coats and scarf wrapped around half of their faces. Rarely would people bat an eye at them, and the more people there were in the crowded streets, filled with lights and festive decorations that took the attention from them, the more they were hidden. It's like the duo had fitted themselves into a bubble among the loud chatter and city bustle, entering a world only two of them would know.

Their shoulders and arms and elbows would bump into each other as they walk. Sometimes it's the singer trying to hide away from the chilly wind. Sometimes it's Hyunbin, seeking a form of attention when the elder was momentarily distracted by the ornaments around himself. Occasionally they'll allow themselves the excuse of discretion, slipping intertwined fingers into the pockets of either one's coat as they brisk through the wave of people. Occasionally Minhyun would allow a quick hug from the taller in a private corner as they wait for their finger food to be served. There were rare times where Minhyun would wrap his arm around the younger's waist, ever so subtly before removing it, but not without letting his palm rubbing along the fabric of the coat along his waist line, a cheeky grin behind the mask as an indication of his high spirits. 

And if they were ever so lucky to be left alone, usually when it's near midnight in their quiet neighborhood, the duo would show their intertwined hands to the silent world. It's a little act of rebellion, the most intimate they both dared in a public setting ( besides that one-off kiss under the sprinkling of the first snow, like blessings from heaven ).

"Hyunbin-ah, it's snowing."

They pulled to a stop as Minhyun did first, and Hyunbin looked up to the falling of the white snow, visible to the eye only under the light from the street lamps. And there they stood, in the empty park, hands gripping onto each other just looking up into the sky. The model leaned towards his side, bumping his lover slightly before he spoke.

"Do you remember the time we went on a date down the fashion alley, and then it snowed? This sorts of remind me of that."
"If you think that's a good excuse to kiss me right now, I'm going to punch you."

Minhyun;s retort held a tingle of embarrassment, visible in the exposed tips of his ears that's turning red in a matter of seconds. Hyunbin laughed, the sort where his shoulders shook and head thrown back a bit, and the elder sighed. The model moved, reaching out to hold his other hand as well as they stood face to face, toes pressing against each other. Minhyun looked up, fox-like eyes narrowing in warning, but he allowed the younger to press their foreheads together. They shouldn't be doing things like that either, but Minhyun couldn't bare to pull away. Instead he relished in the peaceful quietness, in the warmth of Hyunbin's large hands on his own, in the close and yet comforting proximity.

"I love you, hyung."
"That's so random, pabo-yah."
"Hyung! You should be saying 'I love you' too."
"...I love you, Hyunbin-ah."

And as usual, in the most unexpected words and timing, Minhyun found himself smiling along with his lover, and he pocketed the memory into his mind like how he did with many others.

贈り物を探しながら 結ぶはずのない気持ちが
結びあえたことの不思議 感じてた

"Merry Christmas, Hyunbinnie."

They celebrated Christmas late, but neither of them forgot the usual customs. They bought ham and cranberry jam from the supermarket, decorated a small corner of their living room with a fake tree that Hyunbin had hauled from the YG K+ storeroom, and presents for each other. It's already the 28th, but Christmas was just starting for them both. Minhyun smiled when a soft present was dropped on his lap, eyes disappearing into fine lips in his childish excitement. Presents were always a difficult task, but with them giving very apparent hints to one another over the last month or so, Minhyun could already guess what he got in the package.

Which was why he just sat back to watch as Hyunbin got right into opening his gift. But despite the eagerness he held, slender fingers picked at the tape as carefully as he could, as if worried that he would tear the wrapper, which happened just as the thought flashed in his mind. Minhyun burst out in laughter, hunching over and patting the pouting boy on the back of his head, but his frown was replaced by a bright smile the moment he recognized what was underneath the wrapper. It's a game console, one that Hyunbin had been eyeing and not so subtly hinting about the games he would like to play. 

( And one that Minhyun tried to dissuade from buying in the last month, because it was the perfect gift to get. )

"Omph-"

The singer winced as he hit the carpet, crushed by the weight of the taller boy, but the kisses speckled all over his face made up for it. Hands by Hyunbin's waist, Minhyun scrunched his nose slightly when the kisses trailed along his jawline, upwards to his ears. 

"Hyunbin-ah, yah, I haven't open your present yet..."
"I know, hyung. Thank you."

He didn't miss the cheeky, yet adorable grin on his face, and Minhyun can't help but pull him in for another long kiss.

He ended up opening his presents nearly half an hour later.

ずっと ずっと そばにいて
同じ夢さがす 旅をしたい
Snowflake 空が 街角に
白い息を吐く ほら 雪だよ

His voice mingled with the crowd's voices, his fans singing along to the key lines of the chorus of this well-loved song. Minhyun's eyes fluttered open as he sang, a hint of a smile showing on the upward tug of his lips just for a second. It's moments like this that he remembered why he loved to sing, it's the feeling that he was able to get people to singalong and feel what gave him so much strength. It's the joy and pride that came from people who were willing to take their time and day to sit down in his concert and listen to him sing, and he wanted nothing more than to return this love to them.

His eyes ghosted from one end to another, before he looked upwards to the balcony area once again. It's impossible to make out the individuals with the stage lights shining upon him, on top of the distance, but he knew that he's there. That Hyunbin's there, sitting attentively and listening all the same. And Minhyun could imagine way his lover looked, lips slightly slacked as if he's marveling over an artwork, and it's in that straightforward stare that Minhyun could feel the younger's admiration and love. 

Even if he can't see him right now, he could feel it in the air, tfrom the warmth coming from the bottom of his tummy where butterflies skipped arond. 

So he sang, pouring his all into the song in the light of Christmas and chilly winter, for he want to bring the same warmth to the very people who supported him. The instrumental quieten down as silence fell, and the spotlight changed once again. Minhyun held up the mic after a small pause, full smile blossoming across his handsome features. He could hear the soft cheers ringing out, and he nodded back an acknowledgement. This moment, he wanted to cherish in his heart forever. 

Once again, his voice rang out in the arena, softly and gently. It's like the graze of a finger as a loved one wrapped their hands around them, a soft whisper of appreciation and thanks. It's light, notes dancing in the air in a graceful mannerism, before the live band picked up again for him to complete the song, last note fading in the sea of applause.


"Hyung. Minhyunnie hyung."

The singer stirred awake, removing his head from Hyunbin's shoulder as he sat up in his seat. He's still goggling from his short nap, not even sure how much time had past and when he fell asleep. The concert had ended a few hours earlier, and after a late dinner with the rest of the team, the two had boarded the train to another region in Japan instead of flying back home. The weariness from the concert and all prior preparations had set in, and Minhyun had found a comfortable position against the younger after lifting the handrest  in between them up, falling asleep before their train even depart from the station.

Confused as he looked around, he yawned behind his mask as Hyunbin's warm fingers slipped between his, deep laughter spilling from the younger's lips. 

"We haven't arrived yet."
"...?"

Minhyun rubbed his eyes with the free hand, and then pressed his cheeks into the shoulders again. Under the dim lighting of the midnight train and still reeling in from the sleepiness in his body, Minhyun is almost like a cat who found his favourite spot on a cushion. Another yawn broke free as Minhyun let out an irritated noise, waiting for Hyunbin to speak up even as his eye lids droop to a shut before forcing them open again.

( It was so adorable that Hyunbin would have kissed him right there and then, if not for the fact that they are on a train with other passengers in the same carriage, though they weren't in the seats around them. )

"Hyung, hyung. Merry Christmas."

It too a while for the model's words to set in before Minhyun looked up, slightly bloated face with cheeks squished on one side. Hyunbin's eyes were gentle behind the metal frame fake glasses, and he found himself smiling without reason. And then he realised the meaning behind those words, because the 25th should have been over. Minhyun shook his head in mild disbelief, blinking lazily at his boyfriend. His free hand raised in an awkward position to flick Hyunbin's forehead lightly, chuckling tiredly when the model scrunched his face in exaggerated pain.

"You woke me ung just chu say this?"
"I want to be the first to wish you a Merry Christmas."
"Hnn, Merry Christmas to you too, Hyungbin-nah..."

His words slurred from his sleepy state, eyes fluttering rapidly to a shut once more just as the train entered a tunnel, and darkness enveloped the transportation. Snow fell as the train hustled along the tracks in complete silence. Inside, Minhyun snuggled close, head falling forward before Hyunbin pushed him back, landing a quiet kiss on the crown of the sleeping figure's head. Soon after, he too, fell into slumber.

That year's Christmas may be over for half the world, but for them, it just started.

The white white snow's coming tonight,
Make a wish upon your kiss.


a/n: merry christmas, everyone! i always enjoyed this song, and i thought that it's just a style i could imagine minhyun to be singing. here, this was his serenade to the fans as well as to hyunbin, and i hope the little drabbles within this stories would make sense. just like the series, these drabbles signify a moment, but they're not all in chronological order. one of them was a direct reference to the chapter first snow ( the chapter before this ), but the rest was probably new content that could be expanded upon in the future. who knows? :D the english translations to the lyrics could be found here.

as always, find me on twitter at mhb_sng, my cc is linked there as well. if you would like to support my work with a small donation, here's my kofi link. thank you! stay warm this winter, and hope you've had a great holiday!