The Morning After

Healing Hands

                                   CHAPTER 3 

 

                        

                                                                                                                         Lee Residences

                                                                                                                        

 

 

He lets out a hoarse groan as he stirs, whacked with a splitting headache, his brain pounding. He smacks his lips as be tries to crack his stubborn eyes open. He mutters a string of profanities under his breath when the annoyingly bright sunlight seeping through the slits of the curtains blind him momentarily, instantly regretting opening his eyes. As he finally adapts to the brightness of his surroundings, his vision gradually clears and he is welcomed by the sight of a woman's face at a very close proximity to his. One whose features looked oddly familiar to him, almost strikingly identical to...

Hold the phone! 

Just a minute, now. 

His breath hitches, veins emerging to the surface of his neck after a thorough gaze at the woman in front of him who was still sound asleep with her lips slightly agape and her hair a mess. His eyeballs were close to popping out of their sockets when the gears in his head began to turn, his mind starting to function, finally registering that the bare, smooth, supple skin his hand was in contact with and the pair of legs he had tangled together with his belonged to...

Lee Sung Kyung 

The realization sent chills down his spine, cold sweat starting to form all over his body. He hurriedly removed his hand from her waist and pressed it onto his chest, his heart was thumping so rapidly he felt like it was going to burst. He could very clearly see her bare shoulders peeping out from the duvet. What has he done?! This was far cry from what he'd envisioned! (yes, he's a filthy dog, he knows) It was certainly not how he pictured their first time together! Not while they were intoxicated and especially not when she wasn't in the right mind to make her own decisions. He was disgusted at himself. Did he really take advantage? He can't remember anything from last night but he just couldn't help blaming himself. Sure, they were a couple of vigorous youths and it would be ludicrous to say that they were still pure because they were nothing but the contraryNevertheless, it was still unsettling.

His thoughts were interrupted when she slowly began to stir, mumbling softly and stretching her long limbs. Her gaze went directly towards him as her eyes fluttered open. He could've sworn his soul left his body at that very moment.

"Hmm...Joo Hyuk-ie...?" She croaked, her voice raspy as she squnited her eyes. 

Huh?? 

Her brain clicked and her eyes vaguely widened. What the hell did she just say? She rubs her eyes to assure herself that she wasn't hallucinating. She snaps her eyes wide open and lo behold, the guy was still there, in all his topless glory. Okay, so she wasn't seeing things. It was real...this was very real...he was real. He was lying next to her, in the same bed, with a look of utmost terror plastered on his face which would indicate that they...

"Did we perhaps...you know, uh, sleep together?" She inquired of him, looking straight into his eyes. If she wanted an answer, she might as well be as blunt as possible. 

"Sleep? You sure did given the earth rattling snores that came out of your throat." Joo Hyuk quipped, disguising his panic with sarcasm. 

"Did we bang? Shag? ? Did we have God damnit?? And how dare you I've done lots of crap but I do not snore." She huffed as she started lasers into Joo Hyuk's soul.

He gave her a long, hard look, swallowing his spit, unsure of how to respond. 

"Well did we?!" 

He jolted. "I-I don't know, really...I don't remember anything..." He scratched his head. "But seeing as to how we both don't have clothes on..." He shut his eyes closed, mentally preparing himself for a slap on the face. 

"What did you look?" She propped herself up, leaning on her elbows, the silk sheets slipping down a little.

"No! I wouldn't dare!" He retorted, almost too immediate. 

"Okay manwhore-turned-prude." She mocked, waving her hands around. "Not like you've never seen me before jeez."  

"I'll do the honors then." She lifted up the duvet, to check if they were in fact completely undressed. "Oh I still got my knickers on." One thing about Sung Kyung, she never sleeps with any clothes on.

Joo Hyuk's ears perked up at the statement, a sense of relief washing over him. He released a breath he had no idea he was holding in. So he didn't take advantage. Thank heavens!

"Can't say the same for you since your little man is out—" Sung Kyung's sentence was cut off by Joo Hyuk slamming his palm on the sheets to cover himself. 

"We didn't do anything so you don't have to get your pants in a bunch." She chuckled, patting him on the face before turning around and getting up, draping her legs over the edge of the bed. She took in her surroundings. This wasn't her room...not anymore, at least. Not since moving out of this house, her parents' house. 

"Why'd you bring me over to my folks' place, though?" Sung Kyung looked over her shoulder at Joo Hyuk who was scrambling around on the floor trying to look for his shirt along with the rest of their clothing. 

"What?" Joo Hyuk's head peeked up from under the bed. He took a look around and...

Jesus Christ! Could his morning get any worse?! His head was throbbing with an extreme hangover to boot, almost died of a heart attack from a false alarm and now he's gonna become grilled meat? Wonderful!

"I don't know. Goodness, what if your parents came in and saw us?! They'd have my throat!" He stood up and started to pace back and forth, ruffling his hair.

"It would seem like someone already did. Look!" Sung Kyung grabbed the neatly folded robes that were conveniently and suspiciously placed on the nightstand. Joo Hyuk glanced over to her. "I mean...why else would there be 2 different sized robes readily prepared? Eomma and appa rarely have guests staying over and—"

"W-would you mind putting some clothes on, please?" Joo Hyuk had his eyes covered with both his hands. 

"You're unusually prudish today. Stop being weird." Sung Kyung slipped into her robe and knotted the belt around her waist. "Ah, I get it! Is it because I look less appealing than the nurse you were getting on with in the on-call room last week?" She smirked and tossed the larger robe over to Joo Hyuk.

No, you idiot! You're irrisistible, too beautiful and perfect for this world. I can't stand it. It's infuriating how I can't be yours. Can't you see that I'm trying my best to exercise some self-restraint while I could have you all to myself right now? I have too much respect and love for you, that's why! You're driving me insane! You'll be the death of me, Lee Sung Kyung!

Hold on a second...she knows about the nurse?!

"Did Ji Soo tell you that? I told him to shut up about it!" Joo Hyuk quickly put on his robe since the remnants of their clothes were nowhere to be found in this room.

"Aha! So it was you! No, he didn't have to. The whole hospital knows. Everybody heard. I don't care how good the is but you need learn how to tone it down next time. I have some suggestions: shove something in your mouth or bite onto a pillow or something, it helps a great deal." 

"How are you so perky when I'm struggling to survive right now? And why are we even having this conversation? And that can't possibly be enjoyable." He patted on his thighs, checking to see if his phone was in his pocket. Fortunately for him, it indeed was.

"Have you forgotten that I don't get hangovers?" 

"8:13 AM" He read out as the time flashed across the home screen, along with multiple texts and e-mail notifications, none of which were urgent.

"Let's hurry, I'll sneak you out before my parents get back. They're usually out on their weekend run at this time. We might see ahjumma (the housekeeper), though, but she's good at secrets so don't sweat the small stuff." Sung Kyung grabbed his hand and opened the door, making sure the coast was clear before stepping out. Joo Hyuk closed the door behind them before tip-tapping away through the empty hallways and down the stairs. They were so focused on making a clean escape that they failed to notice someone standing at the bottom of the staircase, sprinting right past them. 

"Ahem!" The aforementioned cleared their throat before the two had a chance to make it near the entrance. They came to an abrupt halt. Sung Kyung turned around just to see that the owner of said voice was none other than her father; who was casually polishing his handgun while puffing on a pipe.

"Where do you think you're going, young lady?" The chief of police tapped his foot. 

"Oh, good morning appa! How nice to see you!" Sung Kyung let out a nervous laugh while Joo Hyuk silently prayed to the heavens that they would grant his wish of wanting to disappear into the abyss right now. 

"Oho...doesn't seem like it to me. My little girl was so eager to leave that she didn't even bother to give her dad a hug farewell. I'll be damned." He sighed, feigning disappointment.

"Not with that thing in your mouth, I won't. I thought I told you to stop smoking, appa!" Sung Kyung let go of Joo Hyuk's hand and crossed her arms, now fully facing her father. Joo Hyuk finally garnered enough courage to turn around, his eyes instantly diverting towards what Mr. Lee held in his hands; a cleaning cloth and a gun! Him being shook was an understatement. 

"Once in a while is alright." He tried to justify his actions but only received a skeptical look from his daughter in return. "Arraso, arraso, I will stop. Don't get angry." He took one last puff and removed the pipe from his mouth. He couldn't deny his little girl of anything no matter how hard he tried. She was his biggest weakness. "Now will you give me a hug? I haven't seen you in 3 months." 

"Only if you promise to never go near tabacco again." Sung Kyung raised her eyebrows. She was having a blast with this little game.

"I'll try, sweetheart."

"..."

"Okay! I promise, I promise."

Sung Kyung nodded and shuffled over to where her father was standing and gave him a peck on his cheek before being enveloped in his arms.

"Oh, how I've missed you so! Have you been well?" He kissed the crown of her head and released her.

"A few ups and downs but overall I'm doing splendid."

"That's lovely to hear. And you young man, aren't you going to introduce yourself to me? Nothing to be bashful about." He guffawed, looking at Joo Hyuk who hung his head low over Sung Kyung's shoulder.

"Ah, yes. My name is Nam Joo Hyuk, a friend of your daughter's. Immense pleasure, sir. My most sincere apologies for it was not my intention to present myself to you under such circumstances." Joo Hyuk bowed and accepted the hand that was extended out to him. He couldn't help but notice just how firm the handshake was. Sung Kyung bit her bottom lip to suppress her laughter, it was hysterical how formal and robotic Joo Hyuk was being.

"Would you look at this guy?" Lee Chul cackled. "Joo Hyuk was it? Drop the formalities, abeonim will be just fine. I feel like I've seen you before..." He pondered, at his beard.

"Why, if it isn't my baby girl!" Sung Kyung's mother emerged from behind her father. "My, my, is that Joo Hyuk I see?"

"Eomma!" Sung Kyung beamed at the sight of her mother.

"Hello, eomoni!"

"Yeobo, you know this young man?" Lee Chul asked as he watched his wife embraced the two youngsters.

"Of course. He used to come over for assignments when they were still in school and I'd see him leaving after coming home from work. They're colleagues now."

"Is that so? I'd like to know more about you. How about joining us for breakfast? Since it's Saturday, I'm sure you won't be needed at work until later in the afternoon, am I correct?" 

"That's very flattering but—" 

"No buts, young man! We've cooked up a feast. It'd just help you kill time while waiting for your dry cleaning to arrive." Sung Kyung's mother ushered everyone to the dining table. 

"If you insist, eomoni. I'm delighted." Why was this happening to him right now? He was on good terms with her mother but her father looked as if he would have a bullet in his head if he so much as laid a finger on his daughter and he wanted nothing more but to flee from him. 

"Good luck!" Sung Kyung whispered into Joo Hyuk's ear and gave him a sly wink before wrapping her arm around her mother's shoulders. "What were you saying about dry cleaning, eomma?" 

"Don't play a fool now, girl! We found a trail of clothes from the front door all the way up the stairs this morning. I had the dry cleaners pick up the filthy clothes and they'll be sent back in a few. Aigoo! You kids these days really have no self-control..." 

"Let's just eat, shall we?" Lee Chul cleared his throat, his fists clenched and the corner of his mouth twitching. 

This was going to be one long breakfast.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Please do leave your comments on what you think. Are the chapters too long? too short? Let me know down below! I'll try to update whenever I can. Thank you for reading! Your support is much appreciated.