One Too Many

Healing Hands

                                              CHAPTER 2

 

 

Both physicians earned themselves some unwanted stares and whispers from strangers nearby; outpatients and the newly discharged exiting as well as visitors entering the hospital. Their clothes clung onto their bodies for dear life as they were soaked from head to toe, drenched in rain water after a long trudge through the heavy storm. Their disheveled state got people wondering as to why two very tall and attractive people were standing at the entrance of a hospital, sopping, with minimal clothing on in the middle of winter were giggling amongst themselves. Lucky for Sung Kyung, who had Joo Hyuk's blazer that was large enough to cover the right assets in the right places while the man himself was being scrutinized and marveled at by females of all ages, almost certainly undressing him with their eyes as the thin fabric of his white dress shirt and well-tailored trousers left nothing much to the imagination.

"There goes my really expensive shoes..." Joo Hyuk palmed his chest and playfully wiped an imaginary tear off his eye as he looked down at his now ruined leather ankle boots.

"I told you not to spend $1500 on a pair of shoes. It's alright buddy...I guess you're just gonna have to get new ones." Sung Kyung snickered, patting him on the shoulder as she tried to console him over the loss of his luxury footwear.

"Oh? That coming from someone who spent $5000 on a leather jacket." He huffed, narrowing his eyes at her.

"Hey at least I know how to care for my stuff! Besides, I don't own a car so spending my paychecks on clothes and food doesn't sting as much." She stuck her tongue out at him, folding her arms across her chest.

"You've got a point there."

"Come on now big guy, let's go before we die of hypothermia." She tugged on his striped knitted tie, leading him inside. They both felt instant relief when they came in contact with the hospital's superb heating system, like they were a bunch of frozen produce defrosting.

"You can let go now, I'm not a little pet for you to drag around." They stood near the escalators. Joo Hyuk adjusted his tie as he was released from her grip. Just as he was about to let out a pretend cough, Sung Kyung cupped his cheeks and pulled him down to her level so that they were eye-to-eye. His eyes slightly widen as the gesture was unanticipated.

"Well, guess what? Looks like you're gonna have to be my little puppy tonight. Okay look, it's a Friday night, we're gonna go warm ourselves up with a hot shower and break the news to the poor kid." She let out a sharp exhale as his eyes soften, a frown on his face. That was the last thing he wanted to do right now.

"And after we've done that, you and I are going out for a drink. Since you're feeling just a tiny bit crappier than I am, it'll be my treat." She continued. Joo Hyuk responded with a single blink, his face expressionless.

"Ugh, fine. Let me rephrase that. We're gonna go get a -ton of drinks and get downright wasted tonight. How about that?" She furrowed her eyebrows, awaiting a different reaction.

"That's better." Joo Hyuk nods as his face instantaneously lights up, eyes sparkling.

"Alright then you big baby. I'll meet you in front of his room after I'm done. Now go." She releases him from her grasp and gives his shoulder a reassuring squeeze before walking away from him and to her office. He rubs the back of his neck before sauntering away.

...

Joo Hyuk looked up from the patient's chart on his lap when he heard clicking of shoes nearing him. He capped the pen he was holding and placed it in the pocket of his lab coat as he stood up. "Ready?" He tilted his head to the side.

"No but I have to be. We owe him this much, at least."

"Yeah, we do." He cleared his throat. "After you." He placed a comforting hand on the small of her back as he slid open the door of their patient's room with the other.

Upon entering the room, Sung Kyung walked over to the single bed, Joo Hyuk following suit. There lay a 9 year old boy who was fast asleep with his upper body wrapped in layers of bandages and multiple contraptions hooked onto his body. It ached to see someone of this age having to go through as much as he had.

"His vitals are stable and..." Joo Hyuk placed the back of his hand onto the little boy's forehead. "Temperature is normal too."

"He'd just gotten a new heart, his parents were finally able to feel at peace, relieved. But now..." She bit back her words, settling down on the edge of the bed.

"You gave him another chance at life, Sung Kyung-ah. You saved him. You've done more than enough..we all have. You did good." He tried comforting her by stoking her back. He too was hurting inside.

Joo Hyuk, having performed multiple high-risk surgeries on U-Jin and treating him ever since he was only 4 years old has developed a close bond to the kid. He'd been born with con heart defects and have been under strict monitoring since infancy. He and his parents were estatic to hear that a perfect match of a donor heart was finally available to him. Regrettably, the joy was now going to be short-lived the moment he wakes up.

"He's the bravest and strongest kid I've ever come across. It just—" She pinches the bridge of her nose. "It just really that's all."

"Mm hmm, he's one badass champ." Joo Hyuk nodded. "Look's like the bad news will have to wait 'till tomorrow. Let's clear our minds of this and get going, hmm?"

...

"Where'd you get the new suit by the way?" Sung Kyung asks as they were walking towards Joo Hyuk's car in the parking lot, eyeing the dapper grey double ed suit he currently had on. Lucky for them, the rain had stopped.

"I always keep a spare in my office, you never know what'll happen so..." He trailed off. "I'm honestly too clever for my own good. What did I do to deserve me?" He beamed, brushing imaginary dust off his shoulder.

Sung Kyung made retching noises after his retort, earning herself a playful glare from him. "Please get over yourself, jeez!"

              

"Sorry if I can't help being so attractive." He shrugged, opening the passenger door to his car for her and placing a hand above her head as she got inside.

"I'm done with your . You win." She facepalmed.

"Oh, you love listening to my ." He closed the door and hastily made his way over to the other side of the car, plopping down onto the driver's seat.

"So what's it gonna be? Jun's?" He fastened his seatbelt and started the engine.

"You know it!"

"Off we go, then."

...

"Welcome you crazy kids. You're in luck 'cus there's only one table left. We've got a full house tonight." Sung Kyung and Joo Hyuk were greeted by Jun, a friend of theirs and the owner of the Korean BBQ restaurant "Galbi-Jib", an extremely popular spot amongst Seoul locals.

"Hey, Jun! Yeah, I can see that." They both uttered at the same time, astonished at the sheer amount of people crammed into a single space like a can of sardines which was to be expected.

"Get yourselves seated and it's gonna be the usual, I presume?" Jun asked.

"Yeah but with 2 extra bottles of soju please." Sung Kyung clasped her hands together and grinned.

 

3 bottles of soju and 2½ beers (each) in...

 

"Yah! How many times do I have to tell you to stop eating raw meat?! I literally just put it on the grill!" Joo Hyuk yelled for the nth time and pushed Sung Kyung's prying chopsticks away from their last piece of meat.

"It's beef! It doesn't matter!" She shot him a laser sharp glare, downing the last of her soju and slammed the empty bottle on the table.

"You're soooooo wasted you can't even tell that IT'S PORK!! So stupiddd~" Joo Hyuk burst out laughing, palming the table. He was ridiculously and undoubtedly drunk off his mind.

"Shut your trap youuu! You're so annoying!" She shoved a lettuce leaf into his mouth to shut him up. "Who do you think I am?? I am Lee Sung Kyung, that's who! I..." She slurred her words and paused for a good 10 seconds, staring off into space before jolting back to her senses. "...I nevvver get drunk! N-neverrrr ever!" She hiccuped, her eyelids feeling heavy.

They've spent almost 3 hours stuffing their faces with food, inhaling alcohol like there was no tomorrow and having absurdly profound conversations, some of which would've been better if kept to themselves for eternity.

"Okay, you two need to get your sloppy asses home right now. That's enough alcohol for the night. I put your bill on the tab, so you guys can pay me on your next visit. And give me your keys, I called you a cab 'cus I don't trust either of your driving skills right now." Joo Hyuk stumbled as he stood up, shoving his hand in his pant pocket and fished out his car keys, passing them to Jun who had his hand extended out to him.

"Thank you my man! I love you soooo much heheh~" Joo Hyuk grabbed onto Jun's face and planted two hearty smacks on his cheeks.

Jun was mortified, wiping the spit off his cheeks. "Y'all need Jesus." He rubbed his temples and walked away from their table.

"It's time to go home~ Sung Kyung-ie" Joo Hyuk chirped as he slipped into his coat. He grabbed Sung Kyung's leather jacket and slung her handbag across his chest. He helped her up from the seat she was slowly falling off of. "Arms!" He commanded as he helped her into her outerwear and she obliged by sliding her arms into the sleeves.

"I can do this!" He muttered under his breath as he vigorously rubbed his face with his palms in an attempt to stay alert. After zipping Sung Kyung's jacket up and wrapping a thick scarf around her neck, he grabbed onto her waist and hoisted her body over his shoulder. He knew he was drunk but she was totally out of it so he had to be somewhat responsible. With a couple of strides towards the door, they were both out in the streets, waiting for their cab to arrive.

"Joo...Hyuk-ah...I'm-I'm gonna" Sung Kyung started gagging.

"Don't you dare! No no no please don't—" Before he could finish talking, vomit was everywhere and all over him.

"!" He shut his eyes tightly.

As the stench invaded his sinuses, his eyes snapped wide open and started watering, his gag reflexes kicking in.

"Oh, God! Not now—" Those were the only words he'd manage to spit out before spewing his dinner out of his mouth and onto the side of the street.