Forgotten Valentine

Forgotten Valentine

He made sure he kept his day open just in case Jungkook wanted them to hang out. But as the day started to pass he didn’t hear a thing from him. Not a visit, not a call. Not even a text message. Jimin started to feel he was being too much. Did he expect too much from Jungkook. They had only started to date just a few months ago. Or rather Jungkook finally gave in to him to only have him to shut up. He didn’t know Jimin was only to be louder afterwards. Jungkook wasn’t much of an outgoing person, Jimin knew that, he himself used to be quite too a long time ago. But he at least thought Jungkook would remember Valentine’s Day. Wasn’t this supposed to be a day for lovers, to get closer and show each other how much they love each other?

The day passed without a notice from Jungkook. Jimin had too much pride to talk to him first. He had always started the conversation first with Jungkook. He asked him out for the first date, he asked to hold hands first too, he asked him to stay over first, and he initiated their first kiss too. So if Jungkook really liked him he would at least notice Jimin. But he didn’t. The day passed as Jimin sat in his couch waiting, waiting for Jungkook to at least say something. Just a “hi how are you?” text would be more than fine. Did something happen to him? Maybe he got run over on his way to Jimin, and he would sit at home being angry that his boyfriend didn’t call. But nothing came in. if he was run over they would have called him wouldn’t they? Jimin waited and waited. Valentine’s day this year would just be like any other day. But still he waited the whole day.  And then it passed. Jimin sat and waited the whole night, and at 3am he decided he wouldn’t wait anymore.  

As Jimin pulled off his clothes ready to go sleep, his phone rang. He knew that ringtone. G-Dragons Crooked, Jungkook’s favourite. He didn’t forget!  He ran towards his phone lying across the room, almost falling down over his half pulled down pants and answered the phone.

“Jungkoookiiee!!”
He nearly shouted his heart out. Almost crying from waiting for this call.

“Ah. Who am I speaking to?”
The voice on the other side of the line was deep and rusty. It wasn’t Jungkook who called him. maybe if he decided to have some weird vocal transplant, not if he knew that was possible but he wouldn’t know. Jimin looked at the display on his phone. Jungkookie it said. Why was a stranger calling him on Jungkook’s phone?

“ah, euhm. Hello, This is Jimin, Park Jimin. Who are you, and why are you calling on Jungkook’s phone?”
He asked bluntly. He thought he had the right to know didn’t he?

“So I’ve come right huh, this is Jimin right? Jungkook’s ‘special’ friend.”
The way he put stress on special made Jimin shiver.

“I’m Jeon Kyung Hyun. Jungkook’s father.”
His father. Jimin could feel his heartbeat stop for a moment. He had heard of Jungkook’s father only once. He got the idea then that his father was against Jungkook and his relationship, when Jungkook mentioned something along the lines of ‘why would he care what I decide to do with my future if he casted me out the house when I came out?’ to his mother on the phone. Jungkook would only call his mother to assure her he was fine. But why would his father call him, especially on Jungkook’s phone.  And where was Jungkook?

 

 

Jungkook was on his way to see Jimin. He had guessed the older had kept his day free. He planned on making him think he forgot about Valentine’s day, just to surprise him and tell him he likes him. He hadn’t said it before. Jimin was always content when he would smile at Jimin. He knew he wasn’t good with words, but today he would tell him how he felt. How cheesy it may sound he had practiced a whole week in front of his mirror. And now he was ready.

While he was walking towards Jimin he didn’t hear the car slowing down behind him to stop right in front of him. Then it suddenly went fast. His father stepped out of the car with some other guys. He was dragged into the car and they drove off. He fought back of course; he was getting kidnapped by his own father. Why? He didn’t want anything to do with Jungkook has he said the last time they spoke.

They arrived at his old place quickly. He was dragged out of the car and into the house. Once they were inside his father finally spoke.

“Jungkook. Welcome back. It’s getting late, go to your room and we’ll talk tomorrow. Leave your stuff here.”
his father spoke in a soft tone but with power. Jungkook knew he couldn’t do anything against that tone. He left his bag with the flowers for Jimin and his jacket on the table. He took out his phone, planning to call Jimin at least to let him know.

“Jungkook. Leave your phone.”
his father said again. He didn’t want to, he wanted to call Jimin. Wants to hear his voice and tell him it’s okay, that he is going to get him as soon as possible. He needs Jimin. He looked at his father and saw no way of getting to take his phone with him to his room. He clenched his phone in his hand as if holding it tighter would help him. After some breaths he put his phone down on the table on top of his jacket and walked off to his room, tears escaping from his eyes as he shut the door. Why did his father has to do this to him? Why did he have to take him away from Jimin the day he wanted to be with him the most?

“Dear, do you have to do this? He is just a boy.”

“Honey, he is 18. He isn’t a boy anymore. And yes I have to do this. This is for his own good.”
he looked at his son’s phone. The background picture showing a boy around Jungkook’s age, maybe a year or two older but with a softer face than his son. He knew about his son’s ual status. It was one of the reasons he didn’t want to talk to him anymore. So this was the boy his son chose. He clicked on the album icon and more pictures showed up. Some of Jungkook himself. Some of drawings. But most of them were pictures of Jungkook with this boy, hugging and some of them were the other boy had his lips against Jungkook’s cheeks while he was showing gross facial expressions but with happiness in his eyes. As he scrolled further more pictures showed up. He closed the gallery and clicked on messages. At the top it said “TaeTae” with a small icon of a tiger added next to it. After “TaeTae” it said “Baby J” with a heart added. This would be the boy. He read through their texts quickly. It didn’t say much. A lot of “where are you?”, “when do you finish class?” and “wanna meet up?”  He figured out the boy was called Jimin.

“So this is the one Jungkook spends his time with. Maybe I should call him since apparently Jungkook was on his way to see him.” he said as he glanced towards the flowers inside Jungkook’s bag.

 

 

“Jungkookie, why are you still lying here? At least eat something, your mother is worried. I am worried.“ Taehyung said quietly standing besides Jungkook’s bed.

“I’m not going to. I want to see Jimin. I don’t want to take after father’s business. I don’t want to break up with Jimin. I don’t want to marry that girl. I want to stay by Jimin’s side. I want to be an tattoo artist. I want to live my own life. Taehyung. I miss him.. I miss Jimin.” Jungkook said quietly but with power. Taehyung has heard this for weeks. Jungkook wouldn’t eat nor speak to anyone besides Taehyung. He had managed to make the younger at least eat something, enough to keep him alive and well. But he was worried of what would become of his best friend and cousin.

“Jungkookie. You have to eat something. You’re getting married tomorrow. I know it’s going fast but your father wants it like this. Please eat something. For me.” He said. He knew Jungkook would eat eventually.

He left the room silently after Jungkook had fallen asleep. It was getting late; no one would notice him sneaking around now. No one would notice Jungkook’s phone missing from the second drawer on the writing desk in the hall. He had seen Jungkook’s father putting it there a couple of days ago, but he hadn’t had the chance to pick it up. Now no one was here. And no one would notice it missing tomorrow morning. Today is the only chance he has before Jungkook’s gets married to that Cha family girl. Taehyung didn’t like seeing his only cousin being sad. He had to do something about this. And he had made the perfect plan.

 

 

“No Taehyung, I can’t go with you. Jungkook has already forgotten me. And if he didn’t he wouldn’t want to meet me. I know he doesn’t love me. Why would he? I’m a nobody.”

“Goddammit Park Jimin! I didn’t spend 6 hours trying to find you to hear you say such things! Jungkook does love you. He misses you but he can’t do anything. I need your help Jimin.” Taehyung said. He really needed Jimin to help him. He did try to find him, he spent the entire night searching through Seoul. In every university asking for a certain Park Jimin. Of course there were many of those, so it wasn’t easy. He needed Jimin to go home with him. To help Jungkook. To at least try.  When he saw how Jimin reacted to the name Jungkook he knew the boy did love him very deeply.

“Jimin” he said carefully almost like a whisper.

“Do not trust his father’s words. I need your help Jimin.”  Jimin sighted. He looked at the floor as if the answer was written down there.

“Okay. What do I need to do?”

 

 

Jungkook was sure if his father would drag him out of bed, into his clothes and down the aisle and even hold him up there if he didn’t do it himself. He spared his father’s energy for that and got dressed with a frown. One look into the mirror and he concluded he looked horrible. Eyes dull and dark circles underneath them. Cheeks hollow and pale from not having eaten the way he used to. Well at least he looked the same outside as he felt. Today he would get married. He had seen the girl only a couple of times through dinner with their parents. Also something his father almost dragged him to. He sure wasn’t happy about this. He missed Jimin, he wanted to see him, hug him, kiss him, hold him until everything was okay again.

Minutes passed, hours passed and still no Jimin. Music started to play and his soon-to-be bride walked into the room. With every step she took he became sadder. Why must it be her and not Jimin? He looked down. He heard a faint voice calling his name. It sounded a lot like Jimin, but it couldn’t be him. He didn’t even know Jungkook was here or that he will get married today.

 

 

“Jungkookie! Oh, excuse me miss.” He called as he ran past the bride and almost pushing her aside. His Jungkook was standing there, right in front of him looking down. He didn’t even look up as he called his name. Not the first time. Not the second. He only did as Jungkook’s father grabbed Jimin by the arm shouting his name and telling him to leave.

“Jimin?” he looked up at him. Finally locking their eyes. Jungkook smiled, that way he always did when he saw Jimin.

“Hey Kookie, missed me?” he said, still being held by Jungkook’s father’s strong grip. He smiled at Jungkook. Tears slowly forming. Jungkook slowly walked down, eyes still locked with Jimin’s.

“Of course I missed you, you idiot. How did you find me?” he slowly said, now only a meter away from Jimin. He slowly removed his father’s hands from Jimin’s sleeve and slowly reached for his hands. He linked their fingers in a way they usually did while walking home from school.

“Taehyung came to find me. If he didn’t I would never have known.” He whispered, not letting anyone hear. Jungkook looked over Jimin’s shoulder to see Taehyung standing proud. He mouthed a thank you as he hugged Jimin.

“I cannot accept this! Jungkook you go now and marry Cha Hanah! And you Park Jimin you better stay out of this all!” Jungkook’s father said loud enough for everyone in the room to hear.  Jimin looked slightly at Jungkook, afraid of what he might do. The younger boy looked at him and back at his father again.

“Father I cannot do that. I don’t want to. I don’t want to take over your company. I don’t want to marry someone I don’t love. I want to be with Jimin, I love him father.” He stood there. Jungkook was much braver now He was beside him holding his hand.  He always was the bravest of them two. Always asking things while shopping, always ordering instead of Jungkook. But now Jungkook spoke up.

“Honey, please let Jungkook do what he wants. If he wants to be a tattoo artist, let him. And if he wants to date Jimin, please let him. You only have one son.” Jungkook’s mother finally spoke up, smiling at Jungkook and him.

“Well, Jungkook. Be glad you have your mother. I can’t support you yet in your decisions. But I’ll try. And Jimin, you better take care of my son.” Jungkook’s father sighted, but a smile was trying to find its way through.

“I sure will sir! Now Jungkook let’s go home.” He bowed and looked at Jungkook who was now smiling so much it almost hurt to look at.

“Yeah. Let’s go” he said with a smile still pasted on his face. They left the room loudly, hugging each other and screaming their goodbyes and thank yous to Taehyung now standing to the side of the bride who looked very confused.

“What the hell was that about? Am I gonna marry today or not?”

“Well if you wouldn’t mind marrying me?” Taehyung said with a grin on his face. He wiggled his eyebrows. His not-so well thought plan led to a firm slap on his cheeks and a room full of now laughing elders.

“At least Jungkook and Jimin have it well, so who cares about poor TaeTae.”