tinder beginnings

Short Fiction for Dahyun
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Tinder such a woeful concept to be finding love, with every swipe left was an inch closer to lonely disappointment.  Despite the odds, matches were found with numerous suitors banking on unfulfilled passion, though conversations had with only a handful. It was a lucky day, if a conversation transpired beyond the generic greetings and brief discussion of mundane concepts, such as today’s weather. It all felt so, arbitrary well, that was until she found Sana. They spoke for days, late into the night and their banter quickly turns ual sending Dahyun towards unchartered waters. It’s something new but it’s seemingly harmless and has her giddy with excitement. Their midnight phone calls naturally become routine, and it’s the perfect end to her achingly long days.

 

They agree to brunch at one of Sana’s favourite spots, breakfast was far too early and dinner was too serious. Though the diner was a little far, for timid Dahyun who barely explored beyond the comfort of her local eateries. She didn’t want to appear lame and Jo’s didn’t seem half-bad from the colourful Yelp reviews. Pleasant ambience, authentic upholstery and delectable food at affordable prices it boasted.

 

So here she was at Jo’s, nervously early. An hour to be exact, first impressions were everything after all and she wanted to make a good one. Dahyun at last leaves the safety of her car, and approaches the restaurant. She heaves the glass door open, and the sheer weight nearly topples her over. A blush of crimson promptly colours her cheeks, as she dashes to hide in a nearby booth. She slouches into the aged faux leather, the cushioning caving in to welcome. Dahyun somehow manages to find small comfort in the idea that Sana wasn’t present to witness her mishap.

 

The waitress approaches Dahyun, blonde pixie cut with a gentle note of arrogance. “Ready to order, love?” She asks, as she gnashes on her bright pink gum. “Sorry, no. I’m actually waiting for someone,” Dahyun answers with unnecessary guilt, fingers toying at the edges of the laminated menu. The hour eventually passes, and so does another 20 minutes, and yet Sana’s still a no show. Foot tapping, fingers drumming, eyes glued to the clock waiting. “Sorry cutie, something came up last minute. I won’t be able to make it. Let’s rain check for next week.” The text buzzes and lingers for slightly too long. A heavy sigh follows, as the jittery butterflies in her stomach drown. Dahyun’s disappointed, but she figures she might as well try out the place. She embarrassingly puts through a lonesome order for Belgian waffles, with a chocolate shake on the side to sweeten the bitterness.

 

And just like advertised, the service was impeccably fast. “Here you go. Hopefully this will cheer you up.” The waitress comforts, with a light pat to Dahyun’s shoulder as food adorned the table. Cutlery in hand, she takes to the waffle with adept strikes and her first bite satisfies. This was quickly followed, by more shovelling of waffle and a small smile of content. Dahyun momentarily glances at the mess, dotted chocolate syrup and crumbs of batter, but shrugs it off. Instead her lips close over her straw quenching her thirst. Dahyun takes another long sip and swishes circles in the tall glass like a child nonetheless.

 

A few tables in front, Dahyun notices another individual sitting on her own. Though, unlike Dahyun she’s unfazed by the lack of company, she’s greatly immersed in her own bubble. On that particular table, a number of menus stood barricading her in. Dahyun couldn’t help but find herself, quietly taken by this girl, fixated almost by this stranger’s narrow focus and unique fortress display. In life, there’s always noise. Whether it’s when you’re trying to sleep, and you can hear the cars on the street, or the persistent calling of summer’s cicadas. But for Dahyun, the noise was droning out, silence flooding in, eyes purely drawing in towards the girl just metres away.

 

“Hey, you dropped your fork,” Dahyun states, slightly shaking silverware in hand. The girl lowers her headphones, eyes shifting up with a small smile, dimples cornering her lips. “Thanks, she chuckles inwardly, with quick nod of her head.” Their exchange now closing to an end, as the latter resumes her attention elsewhere, normally Dahyun being her reserved self would walk away. But today was different. Today she was the hovering stranger, lingering for a little too long.  She wasn’t going to lose twice in one sitting.

 

“I really like your drawing,” Dahyun brazenly sputters, motioning to the splayed art supplies behind the menu fortress.

 

As she talks, Dahyun can’t help but notice Chaeyoung’s disappearing and re-appearing dimples, but when her eyes at last snap back up, she’s met with an expectant look. “Huh, sorry I missed that?” There’s a soft sigh, as Chaeyoung beckons her to sit. “I was asking, if you were from around here. I’ve never seen you at Jo’s before. I’m a regular,” She giggles, the comforting smile returning.  

 

 

Day 2

Chaeyoung takes a momentary pause from her drawing. Blinking in confusion, she stares back at Dahyun. “Excuse me, but do I know you?”

 

“Uh… It’s me Dahyun. We met yesterday?” Dahyun replies, with the same mirrored lost expression.

 

“I’ve never seen you before in my life”

 

“Quit with the games Chaeyoung. We talked for hours, good joke HA HA”

 

“You’re starting to creep me out. I don’t know you.” Chaeyoung whispers, shaking her head. Dahyun’s laughter stops, and she’s now equally as spooked.

 

“It’s okay Chaeyoung. I’ve got this.” A familiar voice intercepts, ripping Dahyun away by the arm. It was the blonde-haired waitress from yesterday, only now furious in comparison.

 

“You served me yesterday. I was talking to her all day.” Dahyun exclaims.

 

“Keep your voice down!” she barks. “She doesn’t remember you. She can’t recall events that happen within short-term.”

 

“What? What do you mean?” Dahyun eyes widened.

 

“Chaeyoung suffered an accident a few months back that impaired her memory. She’s been visiting Jo’s ever since. Every day, is the same day for her. She just doesn’t know it. It’s probably best for the both of you, if you let her be.”

 

Dahyun’s confusion quickly changed to dumbfounded shock, and just for a moment, the information spun her rendering her mind woozy.

 

“Are you alright?”

 

“It’s just… I really like her, and yesterday she liked me too. I’m going to try again tomorrow.”

 

“It’s not going to work, whatever it is you’re trying to do. I’m warning you though, if you upset her, you’ll have to deal with me.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter