Chapter 1

Game Changer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"You gotta go, I command you to."

 

 

"You are not the boss of me," 

 

 

Reaching out for my book, I took a seat on my bed. Flipping the papers one by one until I reach the page I was aiming at.

 

 

"You owe me still," You took the book I was reading, throwing it somewhere across my room. "This. Will compensate it."

 

 

"Hey, I was reading that!" I hollered. Jesus, you can be really rude if you want to.

 

 

I stood up to take the disregarded book that you, my bestfriend threw haphazardly without notice, grumbling to myself about forgetting to teach you righteousness when we were still young.

 

 

I was about to pick it up when you took me by the arm, giving me those puppy eyed look that God forbid, I could not trample over.

 

 

"Sica please just this once," Running yout soft hand on my smooth arm, giving me chills that I got accustomed of when you decided to be this clingy girl that guys can not help but to fall over. "I promised Sooyoung unnie that I will be there."

 

 

"Your problem, not mine." Detaching your hand, I finally got the book and flopped myself on my soulmate--the bed. 

 

 

"And how many times do I have to tell you, do not make promises that you can't keep."

 

 

Diving yourself beside me, leaning your head on my shoulder, looking at me, again, with those pair of damn eyes I could not even get enough of.

 

 

"I promised, and I will keep it. Just like how I promised that we will be friends--bestfriends forever."

 

 

That is what I am scared of. You, not keeping your promises. 

 

 

You are the type of person that could promise something and will able to do it at the end of the deal. That is rare, truly rare to find someone like you in this damned world we are living in.

 

 

You tried to scare me on every occasion possible; at home, in school, on the streets, the icecream shop we often at, you want to scare me but failed to do so, yet little did you know that silence and you is a deadly combination, that I had always been terrified of.

 

 

I am scared of silence when you are around as you are the bee on the honeycomb, you are the light of the day, you are Im Yoona, the friendliest amongst all.

 

 

You talk nonestop, day and night, and I still wonder, how could you do it? How could you tolerate all of the that the world is throwing at you, but still able to smile at someone you barely even knew? How could you help those people who made rumors about you? How could you pretend to be...happy?

 

 

I was curious at that moment and knowing myself, I would not get a wink of sleep if I will not get anything out of you. So I asked.

 

 

"I believed I was." you said.

 

 

Another question popped into my head like those from the kid with a robot dog who hangs out with kids whose face only mothers could love, as you were still trying to win me over with your bambi eyes.

 

 

"Why do you keep on making promises, Yoong?"

 

 

You tucked a string of hair behind my ear, mumbling the words I expected to answer my questions, "Remember the--the tree and the flower? The one I promised to do with all my might not separate from each other?"

 

 

You are still holding my hair, feeling the texture underneath your touch. I nodded, "That was--yes I remember it, barely."

 

 

"That was the only time I managed to break my promise, and unfortunately, it was my first time committing one."

 

 

Letting go of my hair, you sit with knees arched, placing your head on it sideways so that you still can get a glimpse of me.

 

 

"Again, I managed to commit to one, but this time, it was about keeping everything I have, even my promises, and it also includes you, Jessica."

 

 

I stood up, not minding the hasten beats of my heart. "If this is your way to convince me to go to that damn party,"

 

 

I pushed you off the bed. "Then you ing succeed."

 

 

Her grinning face was the only thing I saw before I went inside the bathroom.

 

 

=========

 

 

Loud booming of the bass was the first thing I heard when I was driving your car nearer the house of this Choi Sooyoung you had promised to.

 

 

"Smile, this is a party not a funeral." You nudged my shoulders with a playful smile etched on your mouth.

 

 

"It will be if you do not stop hitting my shoulder." I scrowled.

 

 

I never was a party person. I would rather be in my house, on the comforts of my bed rather than grinding on sweaty bodies and getting wasted...but you are.

 

 

You said it was part of being in High School and that we are now at our last year before College, you again with your freaking promises, said you will let me experience it once and for all.

 

 

We went out of my car, your arms ancored to mine. A part of me wants to slap it off, but a huge part of me said to let it go, even if it means to feel like having a heart attack, like you always made me feel.

 

 

Going through the door, they greeted you; from freshmen to people I do not know of. I should have expected it as you are the most popular body on campus.

 

 

Never once you took off and get into a conversation with any of them, you just offered a simple greeting to them and off you go further inside, me following you with your hands now locked to mine.

 

 

A few minutes had passed and a lot of greetings from the attendees, your eyes finally lit up, letting out a huge cry of relief as you saw the woman of the hour--rather the woman of the night.

 

 

She is tall with a good figure, kinda reminded me of the cartoonish thing you always watched during weekends. She is pretty, with her short bob hair, and she is well...tall.

 

 

She pounced at you like a lion on a deer, ruffling your hair as she thanked you for coming. Her vision caught me and was startled. "You made her come?"

 

 

Am I not allowed here? 

 

 

"What do you mean?" You asked with arched eyebrow. You always get defensive when people talked bad about me and I hate you for that. You always get in trouble and all I could do is to scold you while treating your wounds that you got from fighting with them.

 

 

"I am sorry but I meant to ask how you managed to convince her to come." She had this apologetic expression on her face, switching back and forth from me and you. "No offence, Jessica."

 

 

"None taken." I motioned to get a drink before turning on my heels. "Happy Birthday."

 

 

A fading thank you was all I heard when I went to the pantry that I saw near the stairs. There I saw a familiar face. Gracing us with his presence is none other than Ok Taecyeon, the hottest guy in school. My ex.

 

 

"Jessica, is that you? Holy--are you seriously in a party?" He said as if I was telling him I am married, he exaggerates all the time, and yes that was one of the reasons why we did not work out.

 

 

"Thank you, Captain Obvious." Reaching out to get the cup he is holding up for me. Just before I could take a sip, he reminded me what the drink is spiked up, "It's vodka."

 

 

"Typical drink for idiotic human beings whom are using alcohol to numb themselves to the sensations that they do not want to get accustomed of." Raising my cup to toast to his own, I drank all of the content without a thought.

 

 

I drink. A lot. My Dad owns a cellar down the basement and once in a while I snuck one or two to drink alone in my room, most of the time. You often caught me but instead of reprimanding my actions, you will take a seat beside me, pouring your own share of drink.

 

 

He offered to accompany me through the night which I agreed as I am more than aware that you need to tag along with your group of friends.

 

 

"You and your blind hate on students is still going on, I see." He asked--more like stated.

 

 

I hate to admit but this guy knows me more than anyone, more than you do. He is the only person I could turn to as there are certain things I could not share with anyone, most importantly to you.

 

 

"It's hatred, blind hate seems an uncharacteristic term to use for those...things."

 

 

"Jessica, they are actual human beings, you can not call them like that as they are not well, objects." Taecyeon was trying hard not to laugh at my choice of words. 

 

 

 

True, they are living and they are the same as I am, but not entirely. Deficiency is one thing but foolishness is another. We may belong to the same category, but not in the same level.

 

 

"They might as well be." I unemotionally stated as I got a glimpse of your smile. You were talking animatedly with Sooyoung and Hyoyeon. The latter is in one of my classes, a total goofball I may add.

 

 

"Stop being a creep and get yo girl." Ah, I was wondering where his jock language is at. 

 

 

"My girl. Such an unsuitable word to define our relationship, don't you think?" I brought my attention to the man I am sitting beside with demanding him to acknowledge my question.

 

 

"You kept on thinking Jess." He grab my shoulder staring right into my eyes, "You kept on thinking and made you missed the resolutions that is right before your very eyes."

 

 

One thing about me and Taec, riddles and hidden messages in between words are often used that makes our conversation more interesting. It is one thing that made him different than the typical students in the party. He may be a jock, yet he is a genius behind the facade he is constantly wearing-- annoying smirk, idiotic language, oh and of course living up to what he was labelled to; a player.

 

 

And yes, he knows about my undying devotion to the person who is the reason why I currently am in this party. He knows how much I am struggling on keeping it to myself instead of blurting it out to get my fantasies done for. He knows, only he knows.

 

 

"People are talking." He stated.

 

 

"I am not deaf, Taec. I could also hear them."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter