Hui

Pentagon Drabbles

Seyoung looked at her wrist watch for the nth time before sighing, trying to control her anger. She’s been waiting here in the restaurant for so many hours now and she thinks he won’t be showing up any time soon. Her boyfriend wasn’t like this before. He’s always on time. Lately, he notices some changes in him. He would come home late, seldom texts her, and the worse is, they never got the chance to talk longer because he would prefer to sleep than to talk to her. She sighed again, Fighting her urge to leave and come home.

At last, she finally saw him entering the restaurant. Seyoung calmed herself. She just stared at him who is currently scanning the place looking for her. She leaned on her seat, arms crossed while waiting to be seen by him. And when he finally did, he rushed to come at her. He tried to kiss her on the cheek but she turned her face away. He seemed to be taken aback by her action but didn’t say anything. She heard him sighed before sitting on the chair. 

“seyoung-ah.. I’m sorry. I-“

“What could be your reason this time, hui?” she said, still trying to keep herself calm even though her heart’s pounding fast because of anger and disappointment. Hui didn’t said anything, which made her madder. “Ran out of reasons?” she said after a while. Still he didn’t say anything. She sighed in frustration. 

“you made me wait for two hours! What’s wrong with you? You werent like this before.” 

“I’m really sorry.” Hui lowered his head. 

“is there someone else?” seyoung said, readying herself for his answer. 

He quickly looked at her before saying,” what? No! t-there’s just something im fixing right now.” 

“why can’t you tell me about it? I thought there shouldn’t be any secrets between us?”

Hui kept quiet for a minute before speaking. “it’s so complicated. I promise.. I’ll tell you about it when it’s fixed.” He tried reaching for her hands which was on the table. “please, try to understand me.” His voice was pleading, he also looked tired. Seyoung really cant resist his boyfriend, all of her anger was gone upon seeing his face. But no, she needs to hold in a little bit longer. She would teach him some lesson. she removed her hand hui’s holding and remained a cold face. 

“Then, eat alone.” She said before leaving the restaurant. 

-

It was midnight. Seyoung was sleeping when she suddenly wake up because of nonstop coughing coming from the bathroom. She reached out to that room and tried opening it but it was locked. 

“hui? Are you there? What’s wrong? Are you okay?” she said while knocking on the door. The cough stopped but she continued knocking. “Hui? Open this!” 

It took him a minute to finally open the door. Sweaty hui welcomed him. He seemed to be in pain. 

“What’s wrong?” she asked. He avoided his gaze and walked past her. 

“It’s nothing. I-im okay.” He answered and sit on his side of the bed, his back on her sight. He cough a little. 

“”A-are you sure?” she said while walking slowly towards the bed. He just nodded. “why can’t you just tell me what’s wrong?” Seyoung breaks down. She was trying to control her tears upon saying that. She’s been trying to reach out to him but to no avail. She’s been thinking worse things, she’s being paranoid and hui’s not helping even a little bit to remove all of her doubts. And she hates it. She hates that they’re slowly drifting away. She hates that maybe one day, he would leave her without any reason. Hui slowly faced her. “why are you being so secretive this days? Are you planning to leave me?” 

Hui cupped her face gently.“I won’t leave you.” Assurance was evident in his voice but something tells her that it’s not enough. She needs to know everything. Maybe by then, her doubts will all go away. 

“Then what’s wrong?” 

Hui sighed. “I really can’t tell you about it. But believe me, im fine. There’s nothing wrong, I won’t leave you. I love you.” Seyoung examined his face and stared into his eyes to find out if he is telling the truth but before she could finally do it, hui kissed her in the lips and slowly laid her down in the bed. 

-

But things kept getting worse. There will come a time when hui won’t come home for days. He would just text and call her to find out if she was okay and to tell her he’s not coming home. Seyoung was trying to be understanding. His work must be really important. She doesn’t even know what his work is but she didn’t bother asking. She would just let him tell her all about it. She believes that hui would tell her everything, in time. 

But curiosity got the best in her. She couldn’t think straight anymore, she wants to know everything. For her peace of mind. So she decided to follow hui in his work in secret. Good thing she had a car on her own, travelling won’t be a problem. 

When hui left, she waited for a while before leaving too. She managed to keep a safe distance so that he wont be suspicious that someone’s following him. Moments later, the place isn’t familiar to her anymore. It’s getting more secluded, It’s like a new place to her. She’s starting to get scared. What really is his work? Why does it have to be so isolated?

Hui’s car finally stopped to what seemed to be an abandoned building. She stopped the car not to far from him but enough not to be seen by hui. She started walking towards the building, she’s starting to get scared, her heart is pounding really fast and her palms are already sweaty. There’s no turning back, Seyoung. Good thing there was no door so she entered the building with ease. There was literally nothing in it. Just hui and a man in front of him, kneeling… and full of blood. 

Seyoung stiffened when hui pointed a gun at the man. She narrowed her eyes. No.. don’t do it.. don’t kill him.. hui.. stop it.. she couldn’t scream, all she can do is stare at them and watch her boyfriend kill a person. Seyoung was so dumbfounded, all this time, the reason he’s not going home and being cold to her is not because of a girl, but because of this. She couldn’t feel anything. She’s too surprised to even feel anything right now. 

“S-seyoung-ah..” 

She looked at hui who is as surprised at her. She couldn’t dare say anything. She just stare at him with tears in her eyes. Hui slowly approached her. 

“W-why…” was all she could say. She cant remove her eyes to the dead man. The dead man hui just killed. 

Hui looked at the floor. “This is my job. I kill peoole for money.” 

“Why?!” seyoung finally snaps and shouts at him. “Why do you have to do this?” she continued punching him to which hui didn’t dodge. He accepted all the punch and he know it’s not enough. 

“I can’t get out.” Hui said, tears forming in his eyes. “Im tied in this forever.” 

Seyoung stepped back a little, still crying. 

“Im sorry.. I know it’s not enough. I will understand if you leave me. I don’t deserve you.” 

Seyoung closed her eyes, trying to absorb everything that’s happening. Why is it that she couldn’t get mad at him? Her heart hurts so much but not enough to hate him. God.. did she love him this much that she would still accept him? But can she bear to live with him knowing what he’s been doing? Can she still look at his eyes? Or kiss him in the lips? Can they still be back to normal? 

“S-seyoung..” 

She opened her eyes. She saw tiredness in his eyes. He was still holding the gun. He looks like he would pass out any minute. Her heart hurt again. Not because of anger but because of pity. He must have been through a lot. And that hurts her a lot. She swallowed before saying, 

“I-I’ll wait for you at home.. tell me everything.. I will listen to you.” 

-

Seyoung was driving absent mindedly. She almost got into an accident because of that. But she couldn’t care less. She didn’t know what’s waiting for her at house. Or how could they talk to each other after what happened. She couldn’t even understand herself on why she decided to talk and listen to him. 

She stopped driving when a car bumped into her. Good thing her breaks are good so she stopped immediately. She got out of the car, checked it and the car that bumped into her. 

A man got out from that car. She stepped back. She suddenly felt scared by the way he looked at her. 

“Are you okay?” he asks. His baritone voice didn’t help seyoung into getting scared even more. She nodded. He nodded too. He put both of his hand to his waist while looking at the two cars. “what should we do about this?” 

“I-I don’t think it’s heavily damaged.” She secretly looked everywhere. There’s nothing to be  seen in sight. The man didn’t nudge a bit. He was still staring at the cars. “I-I need to go..” she said. That’s when he looked at her. 

“But your car.. It’s my fault. Are you sure you’re okay with that?” she avoided his gaze and nodded. The man just shrugged. 

“well, if that’s what you want.” Still avoiding his gaze, she made her way back to the car but before she could do it, someone put a handkerchief on her nose, making her smell something really strong. 

Everything went black to her. 

-

Jihoon predicted Hui would come to his office to see him. He keeps on saying that he would quit but jihoon would do everything to stop him from doing it. He’s the best killer he had. And he wont let him stop just because of a girl. 

Hui looked so scary entering the room. He smirked while waiting for him at his table. 

“Hui-ah! You’ve come early.” He said then stand while greeting him with a jolly face. Hui didn’t return the jolly atmosphere. He remained stone face.

“This will be my last work with you jihoon. Im done with this.” He said seriously. He put the gun on his table and turned his back to leave the room. Jihoon turned serious, sat back down and played the gun hui just returned. 

“But I got your girl.” Jihoon said, stopping hui from his tracks. He turned back again, his expression as darker than before. 

“what did you say?” 

Jihoon ignored him. “what’s her name? ah seyoung.. seyoung’s a pretty girl. It would be a waste to see her dead.” He smirked upon seeing hui’s expression go darker. “did you know she’s pregnant?” He added. Hui looked so surprised. “Oh.. you didn’t know?” he tsk-ed. 

“Where.is.she?” 

Jihoon laughed. “Relax. Do you want to talk to her?” Jihoon reached for his phone and dialled something. Minutes later, he gave his phone to hui and he saw seyoung, tied up in a chair. 

“Seyoung-ah!” he exclaimed, his hands trembling in fear. The idea of her being pregnant just makes his fear worse. He’s never been this scared. Just now. 

“H-hui… help me.” She said, looking really tired. Her voice also hoarse. 

Jihoon’s goon already got his phone and turned it off before he could even speak again. 

“How about we make a deal?” jihoon said. “You do your job, I’ll give you back your girl.” 

Hui slammed his hands on the table. “No.. what about this? You give back seyoung and I’ll do your job.” 

Jihoon just smirked at him. 

-

Hui entered the dark alley. It’s so dark he could barely see anything. One more turn and he finally reached his destination. he slammed the door open. Jihoon is with his gang, together with the person he’s going to kill were all there. But seyoung’s not in sight. 

“where is she?”

“Relax hui. We’ll get there.. if you finish your job.” Jihoon said then looked at the man who is kneeling beside him, his hand tied to his back with a sack covering his head. 

Hui didn’t hesitate to get the gun that was hidden on his waist, approached the man and blew him up straight to his head. Blood start flowing from the man. Jihoon laughed. 

“you’re still good, hui-yah. It’s really a shame to let you go. But what can we do? It’s not like I can prevent you from stopping. Everyone wants a normal life and you’re not an exception.” 

“just ing tell me where she is!” hui shouted. Angered by the fact that jihoon keeps it longer because the longer seyoung’s away, the scarier he feels. He wants to see her now, to hug her, and to tell her he’s sorry and everything would be back to normal. 

Jihoon smirked and motioned something to his goon. The goon nodded and got out of the room. And when he got back, he’s with seyoung. Her hands still tied to his back. 

“Seyoung!” 

“H-hui!” 

“Release her.” Jihoon ordered. The goon nodded and removed the rope in her hands. 

“Im a person who keeps my promises hui. Here’s your girl.” 

Seyoung smiled while slowly walking towards him. Hui didn’t notice jihoon pulling a gun and pointing it at seyoung, shooting her straight at the back. Hui was dumbfounded. He couldn’t do anything as he was looking at seyoung who’s slowling falling down, blood slowly escaping from . 

Jihoon betrayed him. He killed seyoung. 

“she knows everything, hui. And that’s bad.” Jihoon said while looking at seyoung’s dead body. Hui didn’t said anything. “Now that she’s gone, I think you should go back to your work. the person who accepted you is now gone.” 

Hui slowly looked at seyoung. Then he looked at jihoon. 

Without a thought, hui pointed his gun at jihoon but before he could even shoot him, jihoon’s goons started shooting him until he told them to stop.

“he’s already dead, stop it.” He said coldly. “Pity you. You have a great life ahead if you only chose to stay.” Jihoon shook his head slowly before leaving the room, leaving the two of them dead.

Hui could still breath, he could feel it, he could taste the blood on his mouth, he could feel it leaving his body. He tried his best to reach out for seyoung’s hand. A smile formed on hui’s lips when he touched her hands. It may be cold now but to him, it was still warm. He could imagine seyoung holding him back. 

“S-seyoung..” 

Hui flashback to the time where they first met, before he slowly closed his eyes, taking his last breath. 

-

They were on college when they first met. Hui was on this kind of job even before. And it has become a habit of his to go to their school building’s rooftop after he did his job to calm himself and sneek in some cigarette. 

but this day would be different for hui. He saw a girl at the edge of the building, and from the looks of it, she would ready to  jump anytime. Hui pulled a cigarette and approached the girl. He leaned on the wall and looked at her. He cant clearly see her face due to her hair. 

“you want some?” he said, offering the cigarette.

“leave me alone.” The girl answered, sniffing. 

Hui shrugged his shoulders. “maybe you just needs to calm down. I could calm down by this.” He said, puffing a cigarette. 

“why can’t you just leave me alone?!” the girl shouted at her. “nobody would even care if I jump from here!” she continued, crying loudly. Hui felt irritated. He hates seeing someone crying the most.

“well I do.” He answered.

“what?” 

“if you jump from here, they will close this rooftop. This is my only sanctuary and you’re invading it. Well, if you really want to die, I could just kill you. Im a professional killer.” 

The girl didn’t answer for a while. Hui shook his head while continuing puffing the cigarette. He could figure out that someone would come here to stop this girl if she wont go down. 

After some minutes, the girl jumps back down, steals his cigarette, puffed it, then coughed after a while. Hui smiled. 

“what changed your mind? This cigarette, or my offer?” 

The girl frowned at her. He’s amazed at how cute she can be. But he immediately stopped himself. You cant be attracted to her, you idiot!

“none of the above. I realised I’m hungry. I might come back here and do it again.” She said, still frowning. Hui nodded, dropped the cigarette on the floor and stepped on it. 

“okay then, goodluck.” He said, and walked past the girl.

“hey wait!” he heard the girl running towrds him so he turned back. 

“what?” 

“y-your offer.” 

“what about it?” 

“can you do it? Can you really kill me?” hui smiled. Then his smile turned into laughter. She’s so cute for him to handle. 

“just give me time, I’ll do it.” He said, after laughing. The girl just threw daggers at him but he continued smiling. 

“I’m seyoung.” She finally said, extending her hand to him. “well, I need to know the name of my killer.” She said, after she noticed the hesitation on hui’s eyes. 

“Hui.” He answered, reaching for seyoung’s hand. 

The moment their hands touched is the moment hui knew everything’s going to changed.

 

End --