Feedback

Once I'm Honest

Henry made sure his mic tape was secure, pulling and tugging at his clothes, despite his coordinator having already gone through the motions of making sure his stage outfit laid perfectly. SMTown's were always a big production and he never wanted to be the grit in the gears that made everything fall apart. 

He felt a hand land on his shoulder and turned to find Amber smiling at him, her blond hair slightly messy even though a stylist had just been through to touch it up. 

"H-hey," he stuttered. When was the last time they'd spoken? He wondered. A month ago? Two? Had she always had that little mole her neck. "What?" He asked, realizing she'd been saying something. 

"I said Dong Hae is looking for you." 

"Why?" 

She rolled her eyes. "I didn't ask him all that. I think he's in the dressing room at the end of the hall though. He wanted a break from the rest of the groups' chatter." 

Henry nodded in understanding. Some of the members were quite loud. Despite being an energetic person himself, a few of the guys could be a bit exhausting. 

"What about you?" he asked. 

"What?" she cocked an eyebrow. "What about me?" 

"45252You didn't answer the last time I called and you missed out on our last get-together." 

"Oh," she shrugged and wrapped her arms around herself. "I was thinking about a few things." 

"Me?" He asked with a devilish smile. 

She chuckled lightly. "Yes." 

Henry blinked in surprise. He hadn't expected that. He pointed to his chest and stared her. "Really?!" 

Amber laughed and smacked him on the arm. "No. I'll see you later." 

She turned and walked away before he could fully recover. 

"Make sure to send me a card when you two get married," Sunny sassed, passing by. 

Henry rolled his eyes, giving her shoulder a little shove. 

Locating Donghae turned out to be quite easy as he was just sitting on the floor in a wide-open doorway, his feet splayed out in front of him. 

"What's up?" he asked, crouching on the floor beside him. 

"What?" 

"Amber said you were looking for me." 

The handsome singer blinked in surprise. "No. I was just looking for a little peace and quiet, then she came running through screaming at the top of her lungs playing with the EXO members." He pointed to a section of wall no more than two feet away. "They stood right there for fifteen minutes shouting and laughing, then I guess she sent you back here to keep bothering me." 

Henry laughed. He'd wondered at the mysterious gleam in Amber's eye, but he'd also been a little too busy just looking at her. She had one of those faces that you were surprised by each time you saw it up close. In fact, it was one of those faces that once you saw it up close, it was all you wanted to do. And she had the most beautiful mouth. 

"Henry?!" Donghae snapped his fingers in front of his friend's face. "Are you listening?" 

"Hmm? What?" 

"At least you're quiet, I guess..." 


After the concert ended, and they sang their final song, Henry quickly darted to the dressing rooms to dash off the sweat and throw on some street clothes, then bustled around to find Amber. He peeked into every dressing room and random hiding space backstage, but couldn't locate her. He finally headed back on stage to see if she might be helping out the cleaning crew and gave an exasperated huff when he found her leaning on the handle of a broom and chattering away at a tech member dressed all in black. She was waving one hand around expressively, probably completely forgetting she was helping out. 

He bounded up to her and put a hand on her elbow. "Hey," he said, breaking into her rant about what was considered the best way to combine tacos and traditional Korean dishes. "Let's let the man work, huh?" 

Amber's brows arched in surprise and looked at the guy she was talking at rather than to and her face flushed red. "Sorry..." 

The guy shrugged and wandered away, taking the broom from Amber to place back in the supply closet. 

Henry threw an arm around her shoulders and guided her to where everyone was piling into their cars, vans, or taxis. 

"Why have you been ignoring some of my calls these past few weeks?" he demanded, pushing her into his van rather than the one she'd arrived in. She grumbled at him, but settled in, waving off her manager who was looking a little frazzled. 

"I was just doing some personal stuff, that's all." 

"Yeah, right." 

They were in the very back of the van, a row of seats separating them from the driver-slash-manager guiding them out of the crowd of vehicles and on to the road. 

Henry glanced to the front, then moved closer to Amber, their knees touching slightly if the van rocked too hard on the bumpy streets. "You look different." 

Amber reached up to touch her dry hair. Too many dye treatments had left it looking a bit dead. "I haven't been to the salon in a while." 

"No, I mean, your eyes." 

"I'm wearing makeup." 

Henry sighed. "No, I mean in your eyes. Like, your soul or something seems different." 

Amber laughed. "You can see my soul?" 

Henry reached over, taking her small chin in his hand, causing the laughter to die on her lips. She blinked up at him and Henry could barely breathe. She was so beautiful, sometimes she didn't even look human. 

"Brao ~ br-brao ~ brao where did you come from baby~" Henry started singing to his own mortification. 

Amber laughed and swatted his hand away. "You're such a dork." 

"Seriously though, always answer me when I call you. I worry when you don't pick up." 

She sighed. "Fine. I'll try to. I'll be busy sometimes though, you know. Or asleep." 

"Answer even when you're asleep," he pestered. 

She glanced over at him, then to his surprise leaned against his side, resting her head on his shoulder. Her short hair tickled at the side of his neck. "No."