TWO

Sea Me ❮❮ chanbaek fairytale ❯❯

The underwater palace was very similar to the ones in the human world, the only - and big - difference was that everything was made of stones and corals. A majestic architecture made from magic, and that was one of the reasons why the royal families were always so respected. They had enough power to build beautiful structures, and not just palaces but whole villages. That was why they were so respected: they truly helped their people with their gift. 

And now, according to Dyo’s words, the Hearing Ceremony was taking place on the throne room, proving one more time how much the royal family cared about their subjects. This ceremony was basically about King Suho hearing his people’s problems and conflicts and trying to solve it fairly. It was so important to him that he always demanded everyone who lived in the palace to attend it, no matter how many hours it used to take.

The gates were readily open when two royal guard mermen recognized both of them. They swam through a tall path of corals which lead the way to the stoned castle, where everything happened. The corridors and rooms were lighted with water fire, so from outside they could see bright windows in the middle of the dark waters. 

“If I may say, Prince, you should be more careful with the royal highness demands. You already know what the king wants from you, so why do you…”

“Oh, please, Dyo, not now. I know, I just… I get distracted pretty easily. You know me.” Prince Chanyeol cut him, sighing and making bubbles in dissatisfaction. They were now inside the castle, rushing to get to the main room through foggy corridors. Every time they passed a guard, the mermen would bow in respect to the Prince’s presence. 

“I know, my lord. It’s just that it makes the king pretty angry, he’s always complaining to me that you don’t show any interest whatsoever in the realm administration. He loves you and he cares about your welfare.” That long sentence made the prince look down at the servant, feeling a little guilty now. Dyo noticed it. “You are, indeed, the next in the succession line. However, Prince Kai shows more interest. Don’t get me wrong, please, master.” 

“You’re saying it as if Junmyeon is going to die next month. I mean, he’ll have children until his moment come. I don’t have to worry. Right?”

Dyo looked away, now facing the main doors of the throne room. They stopped for a moment. Two guards were waiting for Dyo’s orders to open it for them.

“I don’t know, master. King Suho is very discreet. But I don’t see it anytime soon, if you want my opinion. And without any female guidance, as it used to happen when your dear mother and respected queen was alive, he will probably take some time.” 

The mention of the late queen made Chanyeol’s throat tighten. They were all orphans for two years now, due to a terrible accident that took away the king and the queen’s lives, leaving the throne in Junmyeon’s twenty four years old’s hands. 

“I’m sorry, my lord. I’m just as concerned as the king. Let’s get in. Guards!” 

The merman opened the doors for them, and a crowded but still pretty foggy room showed up in front of their eyes. Some of the creatures looked at them and when realizing that the Prince was there, bowed just as all the guards. 

The Hearing Ceremony was already happening, and King Suho was sitting in his throne made through magic with stone and steel. He was listening carefully to a merman and his family, they seemed very sad. Prince Kai was sitting next to him, in a way more modest chair - but still fancy for common subjects - while the other side of the king was empty.

Prince Chanyeol tried to sneak into his place without calling much attention. His younger brother noticed him and send him a meaningful stare. Knowing his older brother as he knew, the king would ignore him until the very end, and then scold him when everyone was gone. 

After sitting down, he watched Dyo positioning himself in a corner, right next to Prince Chanyeol’s best friend and confident, Jongdae, who preferred to be called as Chen, his childhood nickname. 

The whole hall was under a respectful silence while the family was talking. It was so impressive how much those people respected and admired their new king. The year of the accident was a dark time for everyone, but Junmyeon was so loved by their people that the shock was partly absorbed.

Chanyeol himself would never have that. But not because people disliked him, but because Junmyeon was born to be on the throne, unlike him. You can sense this kind of things, and you cannot fake it. Chanyeol wasn’t born to occupy the throne next to him. It was sad, but true. 

He felt Chen’s gaze and stared back for a moment. His best friend opened an empathic smile, but full of concern. Everyone was concern about his standoffish actions, but he couldn’t just change his feelings and his deep wills. 

It was a part of him.

The constant feeling that he didn’t belong was a part of him.