Part 1

Live A Little
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1] Introduction [/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]

Sebyul

For one to understand the life of Oh Sebyul, one must look at it from two points of view and notice the disparity.

Through the eyes of the average observer, Sebyul’s life would be described as follows:

She is a bright individual with seemingly limitless potential. She was born to be the role model among her peers, as the A-student who seemed to carry a light load of stress despite her achievements, thanks to her ever-supportive parents and student body. Thus far at only 18 years of age, her list of achievements can fill up enough for an entry-level job that university students would be clamoring for. With her environment being conducive for learning, Sebyul led the life of any parent’s dream child. Pretty, smart, sociable, and talented with the piano.

 

Sebyul thought differently.

She hated her status. Constantly being in the spotlight of her dad, mom, and student body, she felt trapped. Trapped in an endless cycle of expectations and rewards. Is this what my life will be forever. I will do as they want, make them happy while I bust my brains for the next smart thing they expect to come out of my mouth? She had to keep a smile on her face. Don’t take her the wrong way. She loved her parents, to death, even. She just wished they would let her…live a little.

She can’t be called ungrateful if she’s getting everything except what she wants…right?

 

 

+ +

President Song tapped the mic. “And now, let us welcome our lovely senior, Oh Sebyul, to give a warm welcome to this year’s freshman batch.”

There it was. Another positive adjective attached to the words, Oh. Se. Byul. She smiled as she got up from her seat and walked up to stand behind the podium on-stage. A light round of claps ensued, and she flashed a grin before speaking.

Every year it was SHSA’s tradition for a senior student to welcome the incoming freshmen, because who can understand students better than students themselves? This year, the faculty picked Oh Sebyul, the unspoken student role model.

 

“Let us look forward to the upcoming school year with eagerness to learn, not only of the academics, but of making connections with peers and making good use of the school’s extracurricular activities and clubs! Here are SHSA, students are being molded into well-rounded young adults ready to face the challenges of the real world. You’ve all made the right choice of school.” She added a wink, which earned a few laughs.

 

Sebyul honestly could roll her eyes at the she was spouting. Everyone in the audience clapped, though.

 

“Freshmen, as the newest addition to our student body, we welcome you wholeheartedly. I hope you enjoy the year and stay with us until you are a senior like myself.”

She smiled a sweet one and bowed before stepping down the stage, sitting back on her cushioned plastic chair.

 

 

After the ceremony, she would go to her locker and pick up the material which will be discussed the following day. Then, she’d go home for dinner, study, shower, and go to bed.

 

It was the same routine, Monday through Friday. Weekends were a little different, but only because there was less school and more self-studying.

 

She was good at it, falling into a routine.

But Oh Sebyul was bored.

 

Unbeknownst to anyone, Sebyul was sick of herself and anything related to. At the magical age of 18, as a high school senior set to graduate in 10 months, she did not feel any of what people commonly associate the late-teenage years with.

 

 

+ +

“Where’s Oppa?” Sebyul asked while she munched on the boiled beansprouts among other side dishes. She was at the dinner table with her folks, eating a hearty meal her mother prepared in celebration for the beginning of a new school year. Usually, her brother, who is in university, came home for this.

 

“We reminded him,” Mr. Oh explained, “but he hasn’t showed up.”

 

Sebyul frowned small enough for her parents not to notice. She thought her brother was lucky to be out right now, doing as he pleased.

 

“Next time, can I go out too? We have dinners every time,” She suggested.

 

Mrs. Oh, her mother, pursed her lips and replied, “Oh, Byul, we would allow that, but this is tradition!” She shook her head lightly.

 

“I understand. Thank you, Omma.” Sebyul replied with a smile.

 

She understood. Family tradition is as hard to break as a daily routine.

 

 

+ +

A month into the first semester, Sebyul began to rekindle frienships with classmates and students of her batch. After the last bell on the 4th Friday of August, she picked up her stuff from the locker, the usual.

 

“Byul!” A voice called her back when she turned towards to hall’s exit door. She turned to face one of her quirky friends from homeroom. She smiled, again.

“Yes, Yeri?” She remembered everyone’s name, and was gradually learning the freshmen’s, too.

 

Yeri had a grin on her face that spelled s-k-e-t-c-h-y, but this Kim Yerim was known for being friendly with no harmful intentions.

“You wanna come over? I’m having a barbecue grill by the pool at my place.”

 

Sebyul smiled at the thought of a get-together with friends.

“What’s the occasion?”

“My parents are glad I made it to senior year, and a month into it, at that,” Yeri replied with a giggle that Sebyul could only reply with one of her own.

“What a feat!” she replied playfully.

 

 

“So, what do you say?”

 

At the question she didn’t want to hear, Sebyul felt her smile deflate a little. She knew that, no, she could not go.

“I’d love to…but”

“But your parents, I get it,” Yeri replied and lowered her head with a small pout. She patted Sebyul on the shoulder in a there-there kind of manner.

 

“Well, next time”

 

Sebyul continued her way out the hall. She knew there was no next time.

 

 

+ +

Having gone over the notes which will be discussed tomorrow, Sebyul stretched her limbs and yawned. She checked the clock. 9:00 PM.

 

It was still quite early to go to bed. Giving herself a treat, she pulled out her laptop and opened Famebook. It had been a while.

 

Pictures of Yeri’s poolside grill rolled down her newsfeed like a carpet.

It looks like

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter