FINAL

boy, i kinda new to this (i think i'm in love)

***

 

“Welcome to Friendly Bean. May i take your order?” A glasses framed boy greeted with a bashful smile, eyes gone into a crescent shaped from the pressure of his tubby cheeks both sides.

 

“Yes, can i please have your number?”

 

Jamie rolled her eyes, reacting to Seolbin’s playful and lame eyebrow wiggle to the boy in front of their table. This brought high pitched squeals from the other girls, who are her girl friends, who are her female sunbaes, who are also happens to be the official members of thirsty ahjummas squad.

 

“You’re like moxy—” Ayeon butted in, but then stopped at her friends’ silence judgement, “—it’s ‘mochi y’, it’s kinda new—What? Don’t look at me like that!”

 

Jamie shook her head, eyes trying hard to focus on the menu. She was about to tell the two unnies to quit messing with the uneasy looking waiter until Seolbin’s overly-ual-sounded rendition of Dean’s “I Love It” came out and crashed her intention. Well, the boy’s indeed so small...and fluffy. So she guessed she just have to wait until the teasing died down. She’s usually a person who’d enjoy a good show anyway.

 

The boy was a blushing mess now. He nervously bit his upper lip and eyes looked oh so unfocused.

 

Now, now, you cougars, although this has been entertaining enough for us, let the poor boy breath.” Hayi chuckled, looking not so sorry. Suhyun who was sitting next to Jamie only nodded her head in comprehension.

 

Jamie then leaned forward to the table and gave the boy the menu. “Don’t mind them. Each of us would like to have today’s special iced latte, please.”

 

The boy almost looked thankful but smiled thankfully to Jamie, as he scribbled down the orders in hurry. “Um...six special iced lattes, got it. D-do y-you also want to try our today’s special muffin?”

 

Nah, we’re good. Unless you happen to be the today’s special dessert too, then i’d try one.” Seolbin muttered as she swung her eyelashes altogether, making the poor waiter more nervous than he already is. An explosive laughter crashed right away. Jamie gasped in amusement, shaking her head at her friends’ shenanigan. The boy, who looked as if he was about to pass out of embarassment, excused himself and almost run.

 

“That was rude, guys.” Suhyun mumbled, looking sorry already. As expected from Suhyun. Hayi only laughed heartily.

 

“Oh, come on Ms. Love Eyes All Over The Cutie Waiter. They’re just trying to have fun. Besides, he actually IS a hot cutie. quite your type, don’t you think?” Seolbin simply implied.

 

“And don’t think that we didn’t see you blush. You also have an eye for sweet thang.” Ayeon slanged out this time, and Jamie and Hayi might use all their mights trying hard not to strangle the older girl because of the ‘thang’.

 

“I do not!” Suhyun replied a little loud than necessary, all red on the face now.

 

Jamie chuckled. “You totally did, okay. Now, mistresses, are we going to do this homework or not?” Jamie throws a bundle of paper works onto the table.

 

***

 

“—and i swear, Tae, I—they almost give me a heart attack! I thought those girls are going to eat me! Well, some of them!”

 

The waiter, Jimin, frantically tried to explain the scene earlier to Taehyung, who was busying himself in a buzzing sound of the coffee and brews. The barista only gave the shorter boy a not-so-sympathetic pat on his head.

 

“Why i am so bad at verbal interaction with human race? Why it must be a group of those type of girls....why.” The barista was about to remind Jimin that he’s infact a part of human race too, before Jimin groaned for god-knows-how-many-times-this-day. A little dramatic if you ask Taehyung. “Why i can’t be like you, who’s great with people?”

 

Taehyung’s snort came out a little louder than he’d intended before facing his co-worker again. He wiped his hands with a small kitchen cloth, and leaned back unto the outline of the kitchen sink. His hands then moved swiftly in directions, making a significant patterns with them.

 

“You...should...be the one....happy....you...need to date—No, seriously! Tae!” Jimin could see the barista’s smile that’s so wide, so square.

 

It’s...just...you..need..to...get...to know.... girls—NO. Tae, can you serve the drinks to those girls instead? Please?” the waiter pleaded.

 

“Please? I’ll let you take one of my squad in Clash Of Clans?”

 

Taehyung crossed his fingers. ‘No.’

 

“...two?” Jimin offered again.

 

Taehyung did the previous gesture with a little force this time.

 

“Alright, alright i see you, Tae. How about four...and my lunch?”

 

Taehyung rolled his eyes. Every worker here have the same lunch from the same bread racks and Seokjin lets them to have as much as they want. How compelling, really.

 

The barista waved his hand, demanding the server to leave him alone. Jimin threw his hands frantically in the air. Before Jimin could sulk more, the barista pointed at the drinks that were placed in a tray next to him. Jimin sighed, moving ever slowly to pick the cups.

 

“Aye, Jimin! Jin hyung told me that he wanted to see you.” Someone yelled from the cashier counter and Jimin never been this glad to hear that voice.

 

“It’s ‘Hyung’ to you, you brat!” Jimin yelled back before turning back to his bestfriend. “Oh, no no. His highness is calling, therefore i has’t no choice. I shall not let his highness waiting for me. Taehyung, mine dearest brethen, shall i ask thee to serveth thy drinketh on mine behalf?” Jimin pledged, one hand resting unto his head, the other to his chest. Taehyung unwillingly took the tray from Jimin’s hold, slowly walked away from the kitchen, but not before threw his middle finger at the waiter.

 

”Kim Taehyung, you’re a bro of the bros. Mi Hermano.” Jimin cheered gleefully.

 

***

 

“Tocqueville believed that the Puritans established the principle of sovereignty of the people in the Fundamental Orders of Connecticut. The American Revolution then popularized this principle, followed by the Constitutional Convention of 1787, which developed institutions to manage popular will. While Tocqueville speaks highly of the America's Constitution, he believes that the mores, or ‘habits of mind’ of the American people play a more prominent role in the protection of freedom…”

 

“Who’s this Torquise, again?” Hayi asks in all honesty. Jamie felt a bitter frustration even considering throwing the papers at the second oldest before Suhyun beat her to it.

 

Tocqueville. And he’s the author of the book which is going to be our main subject—and why do we have to explain this to you again, unnie?” the short haired girl whined.

 

“You’re so cute, Sun-Sun.” Hayi cooed at Suhyun, the older’s hand making its way to mess up the younger’s bob hair. Suhyun huffed in annoyance.

 

“Someone can’t keep her hands to herself...” Seolbin smirked. Ayeon bursted in laughter. Jamie made a very small effort to stiffle a laugh

 

Hayi glared at the others. “Haters. what’ya know?”

 

Everything, obviously.” Jamie queried. “You won’t believe if i tell you how much we know.”

 

“Damn straight.” Ayeon preached.

 

Damn lesbo, you mean.” Seolbin chirped. And before Hayi can grab hear to strangle the breath out of the long-haired girl, Seolbin pulled herself out from the table and walks away. “what’s taking them so long? I’m going to see what’s up.” Seolbin was being held down by Jamie, who already stood up from her chair. “Let me do it. I need to use the bathroom, anyway.”

 

The cashier’s table was quiet large, displayed by various coffee beans in jars (and teddy bears). The surface was nicely polished by a glossy yet calming broken white. A small cash register and a vase full of fresh lily were on the edge. And a young man who was too busy with his phone.

 

“Hey, yeah, excuse me?” Jamie tried not to sounded so unfriendly but goddamnit she didn’t have time with this boy’s lack of professionalism.

 

The boy looked up and puts down his phone. “Ah, yes?” His bunny teeth screamed ‘high schooler’ out loud. “—i’m sorry, how can i help you?”

 

“No, it’s just, i want to know if our orders ready yet? It’s been fifteen minutes already.”

 

“Ah, sorry. let me check it. Which table are you?" the boy ran his fingers over several paper filled with orders.

 

“the one with six special lattes, i believe. Um...don’t remember the number.”

 

“This one, right? six today’s special lattes,” the boy turned his back. “Hyung, where are the orders for table seven?” The cashier boy yelled out loud.

 

The door suddenly opened, revealed a boy—a bright blonde hair and slightly taller (okay, maybe like way more taller) than her—a tray full of caffeined drinks secured safely in his hands.

 

“Hyung, is that for table number seven?” the cashier asked the blonde head. The blonde only nodded, placing the tray on the table. “Alright, here you go. Sorry for keeping you waiting.”

 

“It’s okay. Thank you, uhm...’Jungkook’.” She confirmed slowly. Jungkook smiled and formally offered her another help. From the distance, she could hear Ayeon and Seolbin’s ear-piercing laugh with Hayi cursed all the names in the book to them. Jamie sighed.

 

“Yes, i kinda changed my mind. Can i have two shots of espresso instead?”

 

***

 

Taehyung is wiping the last cup in the kitchen before he hears Jimin was conversing with someone in the front. Taehyung walked out from the kitchen once he was done and found the person that his friend was talking to was a girl. One of their customer, he would guess. Because he remembered seeing her face around his shifts today.

 

“Uh...I’m sure it’s not here? Because as soon as you guys leaving, i came to clean your table but didn’t find any book.” Jimin told the girl carefully. At the girl’s frustated sigh, Jimin added, “—but i can check the other places, Miss! Did you stop by the cashier?”

 

Instantly, Taehyung remembered something.

 

“I guess...i don’t remember going to the cashier—oh.” The girl stopped in the middle of her sentence, “I talked to the cashier boy before my order comes, oh my god, can you let me to check on the counter table?”

 

“Sure, what book is it anyway—uh, i mean, uh, i just curious because, um you know, it seems like impotant—NOT that it’s really my business, i just—”

 

Taehyung could clearly see that his friend was struggling with his words, and for once, Taehyung was thankful that he’s not a shy peson.

 

“It’s a biography book. I use the book to help me with this assignment which is due next week. The book’s a bit pricey though, so i think it’d be nice if i didn’t have to suffer another week without lunch .” She told him almost softly, and Taehyung noticed that her voice was...nutricious?

 

“Okay—please sit and wait here, i’ll check the cashier—JESUS TAEHYUNG! you scares me!”

 

Taehyung grinned behind the shorter boy. Taehyung gestured the thing he wanted to say to Jimin. And when he finally paid attention back at the girl who was watching them with a slight confusion now, it was obvious to him that she was also trying not too surprised by the fact that Taehyung is mute. it’s not like he haven’t seen people did it every time they see him, anyway.

 

“Uh...i suppose you kind of understand him?” the girl asked Jimin carefully, still looking lost.

 

“Well, y,yeah. He says there’s a book left on the cashier table around lunch time, probably yours?”

 

And before the girl could reply a desperate ‘yes’, Taehyung already on his way to grab his bag and pulled out the very thing in front of the girl. The girl’s eyes widened in double and immediately grabbed Taehyung’s wrist.

 

MY CONSTITUTIONAL REFERENDUM !!!!

 

Taehyung cringed at the sudden sting at his wrist and look down.

 

Meanwhile, the girl almost cried in happiness as she took the book from the Taehyung hand. She bowed and said endless thank you’s both to him and his friend and smilingly asked Jimin how to say thank you in sign language. Jimin showed her and she followed gratefully.

 

Taehyung didn’t react. Not even looking at her.

 

The girl just shrugged and awkwardly ended their conversation with a formal bow, walked away to leave the shop. Jimin isn't going to  let Taehyung’s sudden change of demeanor pass away, so when the earlier female customer completely out from their vision, the boy nudged him in confusion.

 

“Tae, what’s wrong?” Taehyung still couldn’t even move and looked up. He seemed can’t take his eyes from his wrist now.

 

Jimin nudged him a litte bit harder this time, concern was more obvious in his voice now. “Tae, are you okay? Why are you staring at your hand—OH.” Jimin joined him to look at the same spot he’d been staring for too long and just like Taehyung earlier, he’s stilled for good.

 

Right, OH.

 

How could Taehyung even deal with a ‘constitutional referendum’ on his wrist? Wait, was that even a word?

 

He guessed it’s a damn good farewell to the ‘CYPHER’ tatoo on his wrist.

 

***

 

“So, are you going to tell her today? I can tell that she’s nice. I mean yesterday, she’s the only one who didn’t look at me like she was about to me.”

 

Taehyung finally looked up to Jimin, after been smiling all day. His cheeks hurt honestly. After the girl—no, the love of his life—left and ever since he found out the two words that suddenly carved on his left wrist, he never stops smiling.

 

Taehyung grinned, his mouth was strecthed to form four edges.

 

YES’

 

Jimin smiled and ruffled his head. And Taehyung did the same. Then they started laughing, then shouting, then hugging each other, then jumping, until Seokjin came to slap them both in the head and telling them to ‘quit it and go back to work’ because the adults were staring and children were terrified.

 

Well, they did stop but still stealed excited glances at each other whenever necessary.

 

As the lunch break came (not that Taehyung had  been counting at the time, really) the coffee shop’s door was opened. Jimin nudged Taehyung rapidly. And when Taehyung looked up, the door revealed the same black jet haired girl behind.

 

This time, she was coming alone. Her hair was tied up with a small bow this time, allowing Taehyung to see a little pearl earring on each ear. She was wearing the fluffiest sweater that Taehyung had ever seen (he’s simply liking the fact that she’s not that ‘hot pants that barely cover the booty’ kind of girl), her cheeks reminded him of Jimin’s. It was cherry red colored and they looked so soft.

 

“Tae, go get her!” Jimin whispered in panic. Taehyung woke up from his day dream, and saw the love of his life is walking up to the cashier.

 

“Welcome to the Friendly Bean, what do you want—UMMPPHH !”

 

Jungkook was unable to finish the sentence before Taehyung sent him almost flying to the side. Fortunately Jimin was just in time to catch the tumbling boy from falling with his face first and held Jungkook from beating Taehyung to death. Jungkook’s ‘’ and ‘dickwad’ could be heard clearly before he shoved Jimin to the side and walked angrily into the kitchen.

 

“WELCOME TO THE FRIENDLY BEAN. MAY I HELP YOU TODAY???” Jimin greeted cheerfully. Taehyung felt like his cheeks are going to fall from all the smiling.

 

the girl, who was amused by the scene, smiled sheepishly. From the close distance, Taehyung could clearly see ‘Jimin Park’ on her sweater.

 

The universe is having fun, Taehyung would like to think. Even his soulmate has the same name with his bestfriend.

 

She raised a frown. “Uhm, yeah. I just want my coffee...”

 

“And what would it be today, Jimin?” Jimin asked.

 

The girl frowned. “Excuse me?”

 

“Your name tag says ‘Jimin’, i just thought it’s your name?” Jimin stared back, now confused. The girl looked down at her sweater and let out a breathy laugh. Taehyung’s ears felt like they’d been blessed already.

 

“Oh, sorry. Yes, it is. I’m Jimin. Jimin Park.” She cleared . “Although i’d prefer to be called Jamie, because apparently there’s like 23 other Jimin in this campus. Including you.” the girl—Jamie—scrunched up her nose, looking at the same-named boy’s tag.

 

“Right. Hey, um...this is my friend, Taehyung. Kim Taehyung.” Jimin backed out a little, allowing Taehyung to move closer, if any closer is possible. Taehyung suddenly felt so small, and nervous, and afraid. He waved his hand timidly.

 

The girl blinked. “Ah, yes. Hi, Taehyung and Jimin. Nice to meet you. Uh...can i have a hot green tea latte?”

 

“Coming up! Taehyung, would you please offer Jamie some of our best cakes? I’ll be right back with her latte!” Jimin’s walks to the kitchen. Jamie was pretending she didn’t see that 'Jimin' boy wiggling his eyebrow to this Taehyung boy.

 

“So, Taehyung, wasn’t it? I’m sorry i  don't know any sign language...” Taehyung could see her smile, beautiful enough to made him smiling too. So he grabbed the nearest napkin and pen and started to write.

 

‘it’s ok. I can hear you.’

 

This brought laugh to the girl. “Really? Cool. Hey, thank you for yesterday, you know, for finding my book? I think i owe you a big deal. Uh...how about a i treat you lunch or your best cake as a thank you?”

 

He began scribbling down again.

 

‘i would really love to’

 

“Great! It’s really nice to meet you, Taehyung.”

 

And then she smiled.

 

Taehyung loved to see various type of smiles of the people. But he thought from now on,  he has his favorite one .

 

‘It’s nice to finally meet you, Jamie.’

 

THE END