I’m Like The Dunce In Front Of The Chalkboard

Um, Oh, Ah, Yah!

Hyunwoo isn't the touchy type, but Hyungwon is and it becomes more apparent during the Winter.

 

By this time, their friends have no power—don’t bother—to tease them about hand holding, leaning on each other's shoulders, or hugging in public because they're almost always doing it. Whether it's because they're tired, embarrassed, happy, bored, or just because they feel like doing it.

 

Hyunwoo feels like he's grown up with the sophomore, and it feels weird when the younger disappears for too long. His mind automatically searches for doe eyes, silky hair, and Hyunwoo's sweater that he seems to be fond of wearing these days, even though he has one that looks like it.

 

His friends were perplexed, of course. Because prior to Hyungwon's terribly made up excuses, stubbornness, and cheeky smiles, Hyunwoo didn't like anyone borrowing his favorite sweater. Take their awkward first meeting as an example. He would have ripped it off Hyungwon's body, if it hadn't been for the fact that the sophomore was only wearing that and boxers underneath.

 

A small smile makes its way onto his lips as he recalls the number of excuses his roommate had made just to wear his sweater. The first few times though, he knew that Hyungwon did it just to tease or annoy him. Hyunwoo looks down, tempted to mess with Hyungwon who, at the moment, is positioned in between his legs with his back rested against his chest, taking a nap. Hyunwoo wraps the comforter around them tighter, and he feels his stomach swoop when Hyungwon backs up against him further mumbling, you're so warm, hyung.

 

He hums and leans his head back against the wall, mind drifting to recall his dreams. He's learned to not panic when they come to an abrupt stop for days or weeks, because he supposes that it's the nature of the dreams. Hyunwoo crosses his comforter covered hands gently on top of Hyungwon's stomach, smiling when he feels the younger’s muscles tense on instinct because the lankier man is sensitive and ticklish. His soulmate can take as long as he wants, because Hyunwoo has come to acknowledge a few things within past weeks.

 

He loves the way Hyungwon would come up to him without a word, asking for comfort whenever he doesn't feel well. He loves how Hyungwon would cover his mouth while laughing at certain jokes he would share that his friends wouldn't even consider funny at all. He's fond of the silly faces Hyungwon would make while they’re eating, so he could make him laugh. Hyunwoo appreciates that Hyungwon would take the time out of his schedule to wander into his building with a coffee in hand, for him. Them like this is—it's comforting, easy, and pretty much routine.

 

These days, he would find Hyungwon sneaking up to the top bunk during the night in search of warmth and come morning, Hyunwoo would climb down and let his roommate fall into his arms to get down as well. It's also become routine, how he would stop himself from kissing the younger's forehead every morning after helping him down, how he would always remind himself that this man in front of him, smiling back and laughing with him shouldn't be the one to stoke desire in his heart like this.

 

But god how painful it is that he does. It bothers Hyunwoo so much, how it's also become routine to try and find something to dislike about the younger, and then getting agitated when he finds none.

 

He shakes his head with a sigh, and focuses on what he should be doing right now: helping Hyungwon wake up because he has a lecture in an hour. He slips his hands from under the comforter, and places his palms on either side of the younger's face, pulling his cheeks together. He whispers against the sophomore's ear, "Hyungwon, wake up." grinning at the grumble and whine that he elicits. Hyunwoo let's the sophomore fall onto his right forearm, so he can look at him and wake him up better. "Psst. Hyungwon ah. You have class in an hour."

 

Hyunwoo’s reminded of the feelings he knows and denies he has when Hyungwon's eyes flutter open, brows knit and lips pulled to a pout. Seriously, what in the actual is this mess he's gotten himself into? He looks out the window and sees frost forming at the edges, he frowns. He tells his soulmate to take his time, but he knows it's almost the day. He's so, so close to meeting his soulmate. He should be thrilled...but it's hard.

 

It's hard when he's fallen for someone else completely.

 

Again, Hyunwoo silently prays for his soulmate to take his time in finding him, or maybe not find him at all. He doesn't know what will happen to him if he never meets his soulmate, he doesn't care. Not when he can have Hyungwon with him like this—

 

You do care.

 

His frown deepens, at how his mind and heart keep going back and forth on him like this. He prays for a distraction instead, a little one so he could calm himself and think properly.

 

The distraction he prays for comes after a week.

 

He's gotten busy—so busy that he sometimes doesn't even go back to their dorm either, laptop and graphing tablet in his backpack. He always makes sure to leave Hyungwon and his friends messages though, just so they'd all know. He also adds a message for Hyungwon saying, 'don't have to bring me coffee. I'm always hoping to different places.'

 

Distraction doesn't last long, though. Because when he sees the frost that's forming on the corners of the cafe's windows again, or the snow piling out in the streets whenever he walks to another building, thoughts of meeting his soulmate gets lumped together with the pressure of his work, and possibly of his still ongoing debate in his mind on whether or not he should confess to Hyungwon and ask him out.

 

Don't ask him out. You both have a nice thing going right now. Don't kill it! Point taken. He nods and hunches over his graphing tablet, fixing his layers and gradients and his lines.

 

Yeah, but if you meet your soulmate and still have feelings for him, you'll be ruined! He lifts his pen from the tablet and leans back onto his chair. That is also a very valid point. So at least if you ask him out and he says no, you can get over it. He nods again and goes back to finishing his project.

 

This internal fight has been going on for hours, and it even survived through his caffeine induced haze. Which is a feat considering the fact that his mind can get so disoriented, that it can be mistaken that he's been downing alcohol instead of bitter coffee.

 

Okay, but what if he says yes?

 

What the then?

 

Hmm?

 

He slams his head against his tablet, cursing under his breath. It won't ever end—this little fight he's having with his heart and mind won't end until he does something about it. He wants to, but at the same time he doesn't want to. What if he confesses, meets his soulmate, but he and the sophomore are dating? Hyungwon would understand, but it would ing hurt, and it would make him look like a complete .

 

Hyunwoo tells Minhyuk all of this, on a day where they both don’t have classes for around two hours, seated inside a cake cafe by the corner of the mall. “Why did I fall for my roommate when I’m so close to meeting my soulmate, Minhyuk?" The redhead is rubbing his back, hoping that it’ll comfort him in some way. It does. But only to a certain degree. "Why?"

 

His friend laughs at his dilemma, which makes Hyunwoo regret calling him out of all people. “He’s funny, single, and well, undeniably hot and adorable.” Minhyuk shrugs as he takes a sip before saying, “How can you not, really?“

 

He squints his eyes, suspicious. He would get it if Hoseok is the one throwing encouraging words like that about the matter, since Hoseok has been insisting that he date someone before his soulmate. And, well, because Hoseok likes to compliment Hyungwon a lot.

 

But this is Minhyuk: the guy who is all about meeting the one (he never dated before meeting his soulmate, Kihyun). Hyunwoo huffs becausesomething smells akin to fish and deserters to the cause.

 

Screwed, the neon lights flash a few more times.

 

Hyunwoo groans and lolls his head back against the wall. He'll ignore it for now, because he has problems to fix, even if Minhyuk is of no help. He needed to talk to someone about it, and Minhyuk was the only one available.

 

If he meets his soulmate, but has feelings for someone else, what does that make him? He can’t just say, ‘Ah, sorry, but I’m in love with someone else. But if you’re still willing to love me, that’s pretty cool.’ and then expect everything to be okay.

 

He can’t just forget his feelings for Hyungwon, either.

 

“You're right, it wouldn't be wise to ask someone out when you're already seeing bits and pieces of your dreams around you in reality.”

 

“I know. I mean, what if I ask Hyungwon out and he says yes, but meet my soulmate too? What would that make me?”

 

“It would make you a class A prick.”

 

“Exactly! So what am I supposed to do with all these feelings? What if I don’t really like my soulmate? I can’t just tell him I don’t like him.” A soulmate is there for a reason, is left unsaid. Hyunwoo sinks down in his seat while looking out the cafe window, a frustrated sigh escaping his lips when he notices grey clouds clumping together again. He's running out of time.

 

.

 

Minhyuk is giving him this weird smile that makes Hyunwoo think that his friend knows something he doesn't, and it's unnerving. He opens his mouth to ask, but his phone vibrates. He fishes the device from his jacket’s pocket to see Hyungwon’s caller ID.

 

He hears Minhyuk's phone ping beside him, and the redhead smiles mischievously at his own phone's screen. Probably Kihyun. After tossing his phone back into his bag, the redhead takes a sip from his hot chocolate and grins. Minhyuk mouths Hyugwon's name while tilting his head. He nods and Minhyuk hisses inwardly, scrunching his face. “Good luck, hyung.”

 

Hyunwoo doesn't bother to analyze further and just assumes that Kihyun probably gave Minhyuk permission to get under the sheets and do business tonight. Kihyun's been busy these days, and Minhyuk's been complaining about only being able to make out and nothing more, so that grinning probably means . 

 

He shakes his head and turns his attention back to his vibrating phone, then swipes. "Yes?"

 

“Ah, hyung! I just got out of class. Are you busy?”

 

“I’m actually just sitting around here at the mall. I don’t have class for another..."  He takes a quick look at his wrist watch. "half hour."

 

Ah great! I was actually going to ask you to accompany me there. I wanted to buy something.”

 

Minhyuk taps his shoulder, and Hyunwoo watches him, still suspicious as he stands and waves his hand, mouthing 'Kihyun' before running out of the cafe. “What did you want to buy?”

 

“A sweater."  Hyunwoo hears shuffling and hear other voices slowly disappear from the other line, and assumes the sophomore is still packing his things. "Wait for me by the entrance?”

 

“Yeah, okay.”

 

He waits for Hyungwon to hang up before locking his phone and keeping it. He briefly wonders why the younger wants to buy a sweater, when he has a closet filled with them. He pays at the counter before leaving, then tucks his hands into his jacket’s pockets. It's cold. Colder than when he first arrived at the cafe. When he gets to the entrance, Hyungwon isn’t there, so he decides to wait by the wall beside the entrance.

 

He watches the snow start falling again, and a few minutes later, sees someone jogging toward him, waving his hand. It’s Hyungwon wearing a black beanie on his head, a white sweater with an English word printed in the middle, and a dirty white bomber jacket over it. The sight makes a fond smile spread across Hyunwoo lips because the get up is—he’s cute.

 

No. No. No.

 

And no.

 

Behave yourselves, feelings. Now is not the time.

 

When the younger stops in front of him, he pouts playfully. “Ah, did I really not bother you? You don’t look too happy.”

 

“No, no." Hyungwon flashes him a cheeky grin, and Hyunwoo swears that it creates a huge dent on the cage he's put his emotions in. It's as though the sophomore knows the effect he has on him, and is using it to worm his way into his heart. He doesn't have to do much though, since he's already breached him. This sneaky brat. "I was just thinking about how I’ve never seen you wear a beanie before.”

 

Hyungwon’s hair is swept up and tucked inside the black hat, and the back is pulled down with only the ends of his hair peeking out. It looks kinda funny, like he's a baby smuggler, but it’s cute all the same. The younger just shrugs his shoulder in response, and Hyunwoo leads the way inside when he knows that he won't be getting anything closer to an actual answer.

 

His roommate trails a little behind him as they walk. Hyunwoo doesn't even know why he's the one leading the way when he isn't the one planning to buy anything. It's odd, because the sophomore always made sure to match his pace. He doesn't even really need to try too hard, since they stand at the same height, albeit Hyunwoo has more meat compared to him. But that shouldn't affect how fast a person walks much, so this means something is bothering him.

 

Not to mention that he’s quiet as well. Hyunwoo glances briefly at the younger, a little worried.

 

He's biting his lower lip, and he looks anxious about something. If he's not talking about it right away, that means Hyunwoo shouldn't pry, so he chooses to ask something else. “Why did you want to buy another sweater? You practically own the hanger line inside our closet, because you have so many sweaters and hoodies."

 

When Hyunwoo realizes that Hyungwon isn't going to go faster, he slows his own pace. The sophomore looks at him, probably not expecting to be questioned about it. He's asked Hyungwon the question a few times before and was always replied with, one can never have too many sweaters and hoodies without hesitation. It comes as a little surprise when this time, the lankier male really looks like he's formulating an answer.

 

“W-well, I saw it yesterday and they said that it was the last they had in stock. I liked it, so I’m getting it.”

 

When they get to the store, Hyungwon beams after being informed that no one has bought it. He hops over to Hyunwoo, smiling. “I’ll go try it on, hyung.” He looks at the clothing folded over Hyungwon's arm and nods. A sense of familiarity hits him, but he gets distracted by his phone pinging before he could further analyze and process.

 

Damn it, Minhyuk.

 

Before taking his phone out, he sees Kihyun walk past their store with a coffee in hand.

 

Isn't he supposed to be with Minhyuk?

 

From: Minpup

HYUNG!

S.O.S.

COME OUTSIDE PLS!!!!!!

 

To: Minpup

What is it?

I'm with Hyungwon right now.

 

From: Minpup

JUST COME OUTSIDE, I NEED YOUR HELP!

PLEAAAAASSSEE :((((

COME TO THE GARDENS!!!!!

 

He shakes his head and thinks of asking Minhyuk about why he just saw Kihyun, when they're supposedly together. But thinks to ask it in person instead as he shoves his phone back into his pocket and heads for the store's changing room.

 

“Ah, Hyungwon, I’ll just go to Minhyuk. Come follow to the garden?”

 

He briefly wonders why the sophomore is taking awhile for just a sweater, but he recalls the three layers of clothing Hyungwon was wearing before hopping off excitedly toward the changing rooms. He also assumes that Hyungwon is probably contemplating on whether or not he should actually spend money on the thing because he answers a minute late.

 

“Alright, hyung. I’ll follow after!”

 


 

When he gets to the garden, he sees Minhyuk leaning against one of the wooden posts, past the archway with vines tangled all over the wood, typing away on his phone. The distress call seems to be a false alarm, because the redhead doesn't look like he's in any situation that called for help. Hyunwoo shakes his head and scoffs, jogging toward him with a smile. “Minhyuk, what is it that you needed me out here for?"

 

As soon as Minhyuk notices him standing there, he throws his arms around him and gives him a tight, warm hug, giggling as he lets go. "Finally." There's a proud and knowing smile on his lips, but Hyunwoo doesn't get why it's present. But then again, he always finding something to smile about. "I just wanted to tell you something."

 

Hyunwoo looks over Minhyuk's shoulder and sees Kihyun walking toward them, holding his coffee in his left and a bouquet of what looks to be a mix of Alstroemeria and Casa Blanca Lilies in his right hand (the only reason he knows that is because Kihyun has been working part time at a flower shop, and won't shut up about it whenever he would come visit).

 

“Tell me what?” His eyes dart from Kihyun to Minhyuk, only receiving a contented sigh and a smile in return instead of an actual answer. Why, out of all people, are these two being cryptic?

 

Kihyun takes his hand and places the bouquet in it, and Hyunwoo grips it from below the ribbon on instinct. Why is he giving him the bouquet? What is it for—Who is it for? “That we all knew.” Kihyun says, all smug. Oh no, it’s bad when Kihyun looks smug. Why does he look smug? What’s going to happen?

 

His friend chuckles, and Minhyuk sticks his tongue out and wraps an arm around Kihyun's shoulders to pull him closer. Is that supposed to be some sort of clue? “Huh?” Hyunwoo looks at them blankly, making the pair roll their eyes in unison.

 

A few moments after, Minhyuk starts to grin while tapping Kihyun aggressively, making the smaller look far ahead with a smirk. Kihyun  his head toward Hyunwoo's general direction, and says, “Turn around.”

 

"We'll leave now! Our job's done."

 

As soon as he turns around, he finds himself speechless. The little debate in his mind about his feelings morph into one question: Is all this real?

 

Okay, maybe Kihyun being smug isn't always bad.  

 

When Hyungwon stands before him, eyes dancing around, refusing to meet his own and eyebrows bent with his lower lip in between his teeth, he struggles to find his voice. Are his eyes deceiving him? "It's nice... Right, hyung?" The sophomore mumbles, smiling sheepishly at him while rubbing his sleeves together. They're too long on him.

 

Say something!

 

"Yeah..." Hyunwoo croaks out, taking all of Hyungwon in. He bought the turtleneck sweater. Hyungwon gives him one of those tight-lipped smiles as he pulls his hands up to fold the collar in half, because it would be too long if he kept it up. He recognizes the get up...but can't make himself believe it just yet.

 

As if sensing his doubts, Hyungwon chuckles and reaches up to peel his beanie off from his head slowly. Honey brown hair falling messily over his brows. He cards his fingers through his hair, to fix it up a little bit because it's become semi-flat from the weight of the hat. It's still a little messy when he's done, but it looks—

 

"Familiar?"

 

“When did you…” Hyunwoo inches closer, watching Hyungwon adjust his sleeves and grip the edges.

 

"A few weeks after we all hung out at the amusement park. I mean of course, I wasn't sure who it actually was at first, but I always updated Minhyuk about my dreams."

 

Hyungwon bounces on the heels of his feet, biting the inside of his cheek. "When you first said that you started to have dreams, I was disappointed. I wanted to able to stay with you like that for awhile longer. Because I knew that if you finally found your soulmate, we wouldn't be able to do that anymore." Hyungwon shrugs, then he plays with his sleeves, tugging at them.

 

"But when you mentioned honey brown hair, hope kind of sparked in me because I had it planned in my calendar to dye my hair that colour." Hyungwon points at his hair, and then hides his face behind his palms.

 

"But I didn't want to get carried away with that one tiny detail, so I kind of just avoided you to start the process of forgetting my feelings." The sleeves fall and bunch up by his elbows, and then he peeks through the spaces in between his fingers. "I didn't." He purses his slips and slowly folds his arms over his chest, taking a step closer toward Hyunwoo.

 

The sophomore's voice becomes smaller, almost meek. "This turtleneck is actually pure coincidence, but I'm assuming this is what you saw me wearing in your dreams, because that jacket and shirt you're wearing right now is what you were wearing in my dreams." The sophomore uncrosses his arms and pulls his sleeves over his fingers before rubbing them together for warmth.

 

So it really is him! He didn't need to go fight himself over his feelings for Hyungwon and his soulmate, because Hyungwon is his soulmate. He didn't have to beat himself over picking a side. He smiles. "When I saw you wear it this morning, I was ecstatic! I mean, how couldn't I be when..."

 

Hyungwon leans into him, toward his ear and whispers, "When I've liked you for so long." He feels the younger's hands slide up his jacket and plant themselves on his shoulders. He starts laughing to himself as he snakes his arms around Hyungwon's waist, then pulls him closer. He can feel Hyungwon’s heart beat miles per second against his own, which is also beating as fast, if not faster. Gods you’re so cute.

 

“Thanks. So are you, hyung.”

 

Had he said that out loud? Well, it doesn’t matter. The sophomore is going to be hearing him say it a lot from now on. Hyunwoo smiles wider. He doesn't have to just say it in his mind anymore. They've always hugged, held hands, and other things; now he can do it without asking himself Is this too long? Should we stop? He can just...

 

“Goddamn," Hyungwon takes a small step back, Hyunwoo's hands settling themselves on his hips. "I was so nervous of saying it. I mean, I was going to meet with my soulmate, but I was completely smitten by you. But to find out this morning that you are my soulmate—”

 

Hyunwoo doesn’t let him finish. He rests one hand on Hyungwon’s neck and the other on his cheek, letting the bouquet drop onto the floor with a soft thud. For a very brief moment he hesitates, but leans in to finally slot their lips together when he feels fingers gripping his jacket.

 

He kisses Hyungwon, slow and careful because he’s never done this before. Never desired for someone so much, that it pained him when he thought that he shouldn’t and couldn’t have him. But here he is now, a blushing mess, in his arms.

 

Hyunwoo leans back to take a look at Hyungwon who refuses to look back at him, and decides that it’s better to hide his face in the crook of his neck. He chuckles, then sighs contentedly. “I was troubled too. I fell in love with you, and thought that I was an because—what was I supposed to say to my soulmate?”

 

“...that you love them."

 

Hyungwon raises his head and Hyunwoo feels the urge to take his phone a snap a quick picture, because Hyungwon's entire face just exploded in pink, to the tips of his ears. But he scratches that thought when the younger leans into him, returning his kiss. “I’ve been dying to do that. Before I pieced it all together, every ing morning was a nightmare. I had to stop myself from just—"

 

Hyunwoo presses their foreheads together, while Hyungwon's hands crawl up to his cheeks. "You don't have to anymore." he whispers to reassure him, and Hyungwon nods his head.

 

"I don't have to anymore."

 

It’s nice to know that he isn’t the only one.

 


 

I've proofread and edited this fic around three times, because I wanted to make this bearable for people to read

If there's any error that slipped through, I'm sorry

but I still hope you enjoyed this little story