Apologize Quickly, Men Shouldn’t Be Like That

Um, Oh, Ah, Yah!

They meet on a Friday.

 

When Hyunwoo's friends—mostly Kihyun—confess that they had had enough of him sneaking around and eating their dorm food, forcing the pink haired junior to do groceries out of schedule, Hyunwoo gets forced onto his feet, off their couch and back to his own dorm. He honestly hasn't stayed in his room for more than two hours after arriving to an empty room and being able fixing his things first. He's gone back twice since school started, but only to fetch new sets of clothing and to discard his used ones in his room's laundry basket. 

 

Hoseok, another friend and Kihyun's roommate, offers to accompany him out of curiosity, while Kihyun comes to apologize for leaving such a mess on his behalf. 'It's only been two weeks!' He reasons before stepping out the door, to which Kihyun replies with, 'I don't care. You're staying with this person until you graduate! You can't avoid him for the entirety of those two years.' locking the door behind them. 

 

Hyunwoo avoids saying try me, because Kihyun makes a valid point, and he'll be scolded by the admin if he continues avoiding his room; he just really doesn't want to meet someone new, not when he's clearly unprepared. He has nothing against socializing, it's just that he knows he's an awkward person and he hates himself for it. He knows he should be used to it—he's a junior in college for crying out loud!

 

Meeting new people is just plain... difficult.

 

More so the moment they get to his room and unlock the door, then open it to see a man on his hands and knees, reaching for something under the bunk bed. The man, who he assumes to be his roommate, is wearing a white sweater that scoops way too low down his chest, with the hem hiking way too high up his thighs the more he arches his back down.

 

At least he's wearing boxers. 

 

"Um," He tries, but that's all that comes out from him, throat painfully dry.

 

"Oh," Is what comes out of Hoseok, smiling and sounding more delighted than he should be, seeing as he already has a soulmate. 

 

"Ah," His roommate says, frozen on his spot on the floor, eyes scanning all three of them standing by the door. 

 

"Yah!" Kihyun exclaims while taking a step inside, clasping his hands together loudly to break him and Hoseok from their blatant staring. A few seconds after, Hoseok takes a step inside, twisting his upper torso to give Hyunwoo a wink and two thumbs up that his roommate probably chose to ignore out of courtesy. He rolls his eyes at him, following suit. He peers to the right, where a narrow hallway leads to the bathroom and shared closet. He eyes their laundry basket, which he expected to be filled with his dirty clothes. He arches a brow. The basket is empty now. 

 

His roommate clears his throat, and they all snap their heads to look at him—except for Hoseok who apparently went back to staring at him after winking at Hyunwoo. "So, which one is my roommate?" He asks, tilting his head.

 

Hyunwoo sees both his friends take a step behind him, and then push him forward. He swears that if it weren't for Hoseok, he wouldn't have moved a step. He sees his roommate eye him curiously and honestly, he's taken aback. He wasn't expecting to share a room with someone like this.

 

"I, um—Hi." Hyunwoo greets in English, mentally digging his own grave as soon as he hears his roommate chuckle under his breath. He can hear Kihyun trying to stifle his laughter from behind him, since he knows about this weird English habit of his. Screwed. The word appears in front of him in neon lights the moment he realizes that it only takes this person's hand being outstretched in front of him to make him forget inflicting pain upon the pink haired demon.

 

"Chae Hyungwon!" The male greets cheerfully, taking Hyunwoo's trembling and hesitant hand in his, shaking it. If Hyungwon notices anything, he's kind enough not to mention it. "I'm a sophomore from the Animation department." He's smiling like they're old friends, and it stops Hyunwoo from being able to formulate coherent sentences in his mind because, well... 

 

He's outright ing gorgeous

 

His hair, which Hyunwoo assumes to be dyed, is a soft brown; straight, silky, with baby fine hair sticking out in some places. It makes him think that he should be running his fingers through them, just to confirm if they're as soft as they appear to be. Hyungwon has big eyes—doe eyes that Hyunwoo swears can reflect the world behind him should he try to focus, and they're surrounded by long pretty lashes. It's disarming, how pretty this man in front of him is, and to make matters worse—even better—he has nicely shaped plump lips; the bottom half swollen as though he spent his time nibbling at it. 

 

Hello? 

 

Earth to Son Hyunwoo! 

 

Please say something— oh for 's sake.

 

"S-Son Hyunwoo. Junior, MMA." He answers belatedly, burying himself in the hole he dug out earlier in his mind. Hyungwon looks like he's trying to curb an amused smile; he fails, and Hyunwoo finds it cute and contagious that he smiles almost instantly as well. 

 

"Well!" Kihyun speaks up from behind him, side stepping to tug at Hoseok who apparently has the word 'discreet' erased from his vocabulary; he's still openly staring at Hyungwon. Hyunwoo raises his left leg and uses the heel of his shoe to kick one of Hoseok's legs, coughing to clear his throat when laughter bubbles up as the junior yelps.  

 

Kihyun grunts, since Hoseok and his body are being stubborn. "Nice to see that you'll both get along well." He moves behind him, deciding that perhaps pushing him would be the best way to go. "You two should get better acquainted, since someone here decided to play as Waldo for two weeks."

 

Oh gods.

 

He doesn't want to be alone with him just yet! "Wait, Kihyun—"

 

"My hands are busy, as you can see;" Smiling, the male opens the door, fingers gripping a grumbling Hoseok's forearm. He looks over at Hyunwoo, then down his hands, previous smile stretching his lips impossibly wider. "it looks like yours are too! I'll see you later!"

 

With that, the door slams shut, leaving him awkwardly standing with his roommate in the middle of their all too sudden quiet room.

 

"You're ed." The ceiling says, mocking him. 

 

It takes a fake cough and twitching of fingers for Hyunwoo to realize what Kihyun had meant prior to leaving. He looks down at his hand—

 

"Oh!" He quickly releases Hyungwon's hand, bowing his head slightly. "I'm sorry." He takes a small step back and avoids looking at the younger male out of embarrassment. You held his hand too long. Too long, and now he's going to think you're weird. Think of a way out, think—

 

"It's...fine. Don't worry about it." Hyungwon takes a step back as well, pulling his arms behind his back. "This might sound rude, but I'm kind of glad that you weren't around for the first two weeks." Hyunwoo blinks at him, curious. The sophomore brings his arms down to fiddle with the hem of his sweater—wait. "It gave me time to prepare. I'm not really the best with introducing myself." 

 

That sweater looks familiar.

 

Hyungwon must have noticed him staring, because the younger takes a step past him, blushing. "I should," He exhales, half waddling to their shared closet while pulling the sweater he's wearing down to make sure it doesn't hike up as he goes. "get some pants." 

 

Uhuh.

 

Hyunwoo watches him open their closet, pleased to see all their clothes neatly hung and folded. "Ah, right. If you're wondering where your clothes are," Hyungwon  his head toward their closet, pulling out the first pair of sweats he sees and starts pulling one leg up, hopping a little in an attempt to keep his balance. "I did the laundry. So I hope you don't mind that I—!" He steps on the other pant leg and falls first to the floor. 

 

He rushes over to help, but the sophomore abruptly stands and gives him a polite smile. "I'm alright." He announces as he pulls the pants up and tucks the front of the sweater inside. Everything looks too baggy and shouldn't look nice, but he somehow makes it work. He squints his eyes. Why is it bothering him so much? 

 

He pulls Hyungwon closer by grabbing his shoulders, ignoring the number of questions that spill out from the lankier male's mouth. A white low scoop with two stripes running down each sleeve, and two slits at either side of the sweater. His mouth opens upon realizing as to why it looks so familiar. "...Is this my sweater?" 

 

"No?" The younger wriggles himself out from Hyunwoo's grip, "This is my sweater." pushing his thin rimmed circular glasses up the bridge of his nose. He's just going to assume that they have similar, if not the same, sweaters. Hyunwoo is dying to take it off him—not in a erted way! It's just that... he really loves that sweater.

 

Hyunwoo frowns, and so does Hyungwon. It really is his sweater! His favorite one nonetheless! He sighs. "Are you sure you didn't get it mixed up after doing the laundry?"

 

Hyungwon seems to consider saying something in rebuttal to what he'd said, but then he purses his lips in thought instead, then turns on his heel to scan through all the white clothing they have. Silence fills the room once more as he watches his roommate pull out a sweater that looks similar to his, save for the really small logo by the chest.

 

"Huh." Hyungwon says, tilting his head, "I suppose I did?" unsure. At this point, Hyunwoo can't really find it in himself to blame his roommate when that tiny ing logo is the only variable that could've distinguished one from the other.

 

"Sorry, I should have looked before putting it on. It's a bad habit of mine, I guess." The sophomore bows, then straight out strips right in front of him with no shame. Well, Hyunwoo supposes that there shouldn't be any, since they're both males and all. But still. "I'll just wash it again." 

 

"N-No. You don't have to. I'll do it myself." 

 

"You sure?" 

 

Hyunwoo nods, slipping his jacket off and slinging it over his shoulder. Hyungwon properly folds the sweater before handing it back to him, then moves and flops down on their bunk bed at the left side of the room by the wall. "I'm bottom, by the way." The sophomore smiles up at him, stretching his (thankfully) clothed legs, left leg over his right. 

 

Had Hyunwoo been sipping on anything, he'd be choking on it right now.

 

He knows these things are bound to happen, but already?

 

Hyungwon seems to notice his confusion, if the sudden blush on his cheeks and rounded eyes are anything to go by. The brunette waves his hands dismissively, lips stretching into a shy smile. "I'm super groggy in the morning." He starts, and Hyunwoo finds himself just nodding, embarrassed that he had to make the younger explain himself. "And half the time, I'm practically sleep walking. Slipping down ladders with the possibility of breaking my limbs ain't really the best way to wake me up. Get what I mean?" 


 
Hyunwoo breaks into small laughter at this, "I'll top then." throwing his jacket up the top bunk to claim his bed. "Also, sorry. I'm not really good at this first meeting thing. I was expecting to be roomed with a friend again, so I'm completely, um, awkward?"  

 

"It's fine." Hyungwon reassures him, standing. Hyunwoo takes a step closer, because it's a little odd talking to him while standing far away as though he was terrified of him. It's not odd, it's rude. He corrects himself. "Like I said, it took me two weeks of pathetically getting acquainted with our bathroom mirror. It's embarrassing, really." He shrugs and pats Hyunwoo's shoulder.

 

"Ah, seriously. I'm the embarrassing one!" Hyunwoo insists, sliding his palms down his face. "I was too chicken to come and meet you; I even left you to do the laundry. I'm—"

 

Hyungwon dramatically looks around, a hand on his chest, before looking back at Hyunwoo. ". Dude, if you came through that door on the first day, you wouldn't have seen me til' Halloween season came rolling around!" He crosses his arms indignantly over his chest, nodding when Hyunwoomakes a face.

 

Hyunwoo opens his palms in front of him, chuckling at their exchange under his breath. "Okay, okay. Before this goes back and forth for more than we'd like, let's just agree that we both aren't able to properly function as adults."

 

"Okay." Hyungwon smiles at him, and Hyunwoo is left to wonder why it's suddenly so easy to talk. 

 

Ah, stop thinking too much about it.

 

For now, he concludes that it's because it's comforting to know he isn't the only one.