Street View

One Shot, Last Shot

...

"Amen," Minhyun repeated softly, and slowly rose up. The other three followed.

Jonghyun looked at Youngmin, who had taken it upon himself to do this, even when he, as he said himself, may have been breaking some rules. Apparently it meant a lot to him, to give this blessing to his dongsaengs. So... "Thank you, hyung," Jonghyun said, also on behalf of the others. Youngmin nodded, and the four silently left the dorm, the door closing behind them with a soft click.

Silently they walked to the elevator and rode it down to the lobby. They walked across the lobby and onto the street. "So, " Jonghyun began, "that was a sort of blessing, wasn't it?" He directed his question to Minhyun, who seemed to know more of it. "Yes, hyung, it was. I wasn't raised as a Roman Catholic, but when Youngmin-hyung said those words, I somehow recognized that blessing."

"What language was that, by the way? It wasn't English, Chinese or Japanese. And it certainly wasn't Korean!" Jonghyun chuckled. "It was Latin, hyung, the language they use in the Roman Catholic Church." "He knows Latin??" Dongho looked flabbergasted. "I doubt it, hyung," Minhyun continued, "but at least he knows that blessing in Latin. As do I, although very vaguely, cause I’m not a Catholic. I've got the feeling that this one was important enough for him, to memorize it in Latin."
"Yeah, that must be it," Minki said, "I vaguely recognized it too” 

“Is there something special about this blessing? And does this blessing even have a name?" Dongho asked them.
"Well..." Minhyun answered, "if I recall correctly, by blessing us, he asked his god to protect us and watch over us. And it's called the 'priestly blessing' or ‘blessing of the priests’, because under normal circumstances only priests should give this blessing."

"So that's why Youngmin-hyung said, that he may have been breaking some rules," Jonghyun murmured. "That's correct, hyung," Minhyun stated. "But some believe, that in special circumstances, especially when no priests are present, anyone of authority can give that blessing. That's probably the reason, why Youngmin-hyung stated that he was the oldest hyung, and here in Korea, that meant he had a certain authority over and responsibility for us, as a group." 
"But," Jonghyun started again, "wouldn't his god be angry with him, if he broke those rules?" "There's that possibility, yeah. Unlikely, but still..."

"Wait a minute!" Dongho stopped walking, so they all stopped. "Are you telling me," Dongho enunciated each and every word with precision, "that Youngmin-hyung is risking to be punished by his god, just for asking that same god to protect us, and watch over us?!?!" Minhyun thought about it, and began to nod, and nodded even more furiously when he answered: "In a way, you could say, that's exactly what Youngmin-hyung has done. Yes, it certainly is a way to describe it."

"Daebak! Willing to risk divine punishment, just to protect us..." Dongho uttered flabbergasted. "Well, let nobody ever say where I can hear it, that Kwak Youngmin-hyung is a coward. Is that understood! And that goes even for you, hyung!" Dongho directed that last sentence with a fierce glance at Jonghyun. 
"Wouldn't dream of it, Dongho-ah."

Dongho looked up, toward the windows of their dorm. "We have one helluva hyung!" he muttered. That moment, he saw that hyung through the window. Dongho started to wave at Youngmin, who waved back. As the others saw that, they too looked up, smiled and waved. 
After that they walked towards the subway station, with a little bit of a spring in their step.

"Youngmin-hyung believes in us, he even asked his god to watch over us," Jonghyun said to the group. "So we better do our best. This may be one shot we're getting, maybe our only and last shot to survive as a group. Let them say, that we're failures, or nobodies who are going down. Maybe we indeed will go down, but I refuse to go down without a fight. And I hope that you all feel the same."

Jonghyun only showed a slight smile after this, but the other tree, Dongho, Minhyun and Minki, answered with their own slight smiles, in spite of their broken happiness. Jonghyun saw that their steps were surer, less hesitant, in spite of their broken self-confidence. And that they walked with a straighter back, in spite of their broken pride. 

They would not go down without a fight, even now with their spirit already bruised. But they were going to use this one shot they had, maybe their last shot, to try to survive as Nu'est.