Lost: Chapter Five

The Clan: A Journey of being Lost, being Guilty, and becoming Beautiful

Kihyun angrily plops down on the couch, finally having found another hideaway for their group. He had spent hours with Changkyun just walking around, trying to find somewhere with water and enough space for them. Places like this are becoming fewer and further between as time in this regime wears on, whatever useful houses that are left crumbling to a state of rubble due to the lasting radiation in the air around them. Honestly, if things don’t begin improving soon, they’re all just corpses waiting to drop.

“Hyung?” Changkyun asks wearily, knowing full well that light within the older’s eyes. He sits down, leaning his head over to rest on the shorter’s shoulder. “Hyung, what’s the matter?”

“I want to punch the general clear out of this country,” Kihyun grumbles. “Just one good punch to land him in the middle of the ocean, where he can drown.” Changkyun chuckles, nuzzling affectionately into Kihyun’s shoulder. Kihyun sighs, leaning his head atop the younger’s as he feels his aggravation slowly ebbing away at the affection. “I can’t believe he just hit Hyungwon-ah… We were all standing right there… That man has absolutely no shame or sense of decency.” He then pauses, adding as he bites his lower lip, “I didn’t know he had to live in that kind of situation… Maybe we should offer him a permanent spot at our safe houses.”

“I didn’t even think you liked Hyungwon-hyung,” Changkyun teases, earning a light swat from his boyfriend. He chuckles as he continues. “I’ve heard Minhyuk-hyung and him arguing about it before when they thought no one was paying attention to them. Minhyuk-hyung mentioned something about running away, but Hyungwon-hyung didn’t like the idea. He seems pretty loyal to his father, even though he abuses him.” Kihyun hums thoughtfully, noting with a loving smirk how perceptive his dongsaeng can be at times.

“If he runs away,” Kihyun says thoughtfully, “they’re going to have to leave the province, maybe even the country. They wouldn’t be able to stay with us, or else they’d risk being found.” Changkyun frowns at this, though he knows it's true. Kihyun coos, pulling at the younger’s cheeks.

“Hyung!” he complains, though he can't help but smile at the attention. Kihyun chuckles, pulling him close by his arm and snuggling. He sighs contentedly, surprised at how he can still find such pure happiness in these dark times. He tightens his hold on Changkyun, silently daring anyone to try and separate them.

 

Jooheon follows Hoseok down the abandoned alleyway, to the warehouse. He pushes the plastic sheets aside that make up for a door, sighing as he does so.

“Did you know?” Hoseok asks, the first thing he's said since leaving the group. Jooheon knows exactly what the older is referring to, and shakes his head. He had had no idea Hyungwon’s father treated him in such a way. Hoseok breathes deeply, shaking his head. “Neither did I. I've been so caught up with this project that I haven't been noticing much of anything lately.” There's a hint of regret in his voice, and Jooheon knows why. This has become a regular topic with them.

“Don't worry, hyung,” he says gently, reaching to consolingly grasp Hoseok by the arm. “We’re almost finished now. As long as we don't have anymore setbacks, the final stage can even begin by the end of this month.”

“So Hyunwoo-ya has agreed?” Hoseok asks surprisedly.

“He will,” Jooheon answers, earning a chuckle of exasperation from the older. “I even gave him a mask earlier. Next time I see him, I'm sure he’ll agree.”

“Jooheon-ah,” Hoseok begins, but Jooheon holds up a hand to stop him.

“Hyung,” Jooheon says, “leave the recruiting to me, alright? You just focus on the distillery.”

As they speak, they make their way through the dimly lit warehouse to the far end of the room. There sits a machine covered by sheets of plastic. Beside it is a table, the surface of which is covered by blueprints. Jooheon goes to the table, studying the plans.

“You're right about one thing,” Hoseok says, pulling off the plastic sheet in one swift motion. “By the end of the month this thing is going to start pumping out elixir, one way or another…”

 

“I'm sorry, Mr. Son,” the doctor says, sighing tiredly. “Your father isn't responding to any of the typical treatments, and the experimental treatments have to be paid for out-of-pocket.”

Hyunwoo nods, blankly looking through the glass separating him from his father’s room. This is pretty much the same thing the doctor had told him the day before, though both of them know he can't afford such treatments. The doctor gives him an apologetic smile, and then turns to check on the other patients. Hyunwoo returns to his father’s side, staring thoughtfully at his motionless for. Memories of the last conversation he had with Jooheon ring in his ears.

 

“What you're talking about is illegal, Jooheon-ah,” he had argued with the younger only a day ago.

“We won't get caught,” Jooheon had promised. “Look, just one bank job and you're golden. You can pay for your dad’s bills and new treatments. You can help him get better. You can save him.”

The wording had given Hyunwoo pause then, still honestly does. But, then he had shaken his head and disregarded the topic.

“It’s wrong,Hyunwoo had said.My dad wouldn't thank me for curing him with stolen money. In fact, he'd probably disown me.”

“But he'd be alive.”

 

Hyunwoo shakes his mind free of the conversation. His gaze hardens as he stares at his father.

He'd be alive, Hyunwoo mentally repeats over and over. He can almost feel his own desperation growing inside of him, eating away at whatever sense of morality holds him at bay. He’d be alive. He'd be alive.

Hyunwoo stands, gripping the mask Jooheon had given him tightly in his grip.

“I promise,” he says to his father, though he knows the man can't hear him, “I'll keep you alive.”

And, with that, he turns to leave the hospital. He knows what he has to do now.