Lost: Chapter Two

The Clan: A Journey of being Lost, being Guilty, and becoming Beautiful

Minhyuk leads Hyungwon across town, to the current hideout of their friends. Or rather, Minhyuk’s friends. Hyungwon, despite knowing the others for almost a year now, a little less than as long as he’s known Minhyuk, is nervous as he follows his boyfriend. The others have slowly accepted him, granted, but Kihyun still remains defensive around him. Not that Hyungwon can blame the older.

He is the general’s son, after all.

 

“We’re out of food,” is the first thing Kihyun says at seeing whose joined them. Minhyuk rolls his eyes at the typical statement, it being something the shorter usually says if he and Hyungwon arrive too late. Hyungwon tries for a small smile, hoping to set the older at ease, but he busies himself with hobbling around the room to pick up the various dishes from their meal.

“Let me, hyung,” Changkyun immediately says, standing quickly to help. Kihyun gives him a short nod and goes to the kitchen, and the sound of running water can be heard as he starts to run a sink full of soapy water to clean the plates and cups.

“It’s amazing you’re still finding houses with running water,” Minhyuk comments, moving further into the dilapidated house to take a seat. Hyungwon wordlessly follows, sitting cross-legged on the floor. Hoseok shifts in his seat on the couch, frowning slightly at the papers in his hands.

“Jooheon-ah,” the older murmurs, pulling at Jooheon’s sleeve to get his attention. Jooheon glances over, and frowns at seeing what the older is pointing to.

“That can’t be right,” Jooheon sighs. He and Hoseok share a nod, and then they leave the room without another word to anyone.

“Kihyunnie does always manage to find us the best houses,” Hyunwoo agrees, as if the two hadn’t just left their company. Changkyun hums fondly at this, and scurries into the kitchen with dishes held firmly in his grasp. Hyungwon glances after him, humming thoughtfully. Something feels different about tonight, though he can’t explain why.

“Is everything okay?” Hyungwon finds himself asking. Minhyuk sets a hand on his knee, patting it affectionately.

“I got some news at the hospital today,” Hyunwoo mumbles slowly, “but other than that I suppose so. I don’t see why it wouldn’t be.” He sighs as scooches down in his chair, adding, “Same old, same old.”

“Things seem a bit… tense, hyung,” Minhyuk speaks up, putting Hyungwon’s thoughts into words as perfectly as always. Hyunwoo hums, shrugging. The couple exchange a glance, not liking the energy in the room but not knowing what they could possibly do to fix it.

 

In the kitchen, Changkyun dries the dishes Kihyun hands him, and puts them into neat stacks on the counter. He watches as Kihyun works, noting with adoration the focused little pout his lips fall into. It’s a normal expression for whenever the older is concentrating on something, a look Changkyun has seen countless times before, but it never fails to give him butterflies in his stomach.

“You’re staring, Kyunnie,” Kihyun notes upon noticing the younger’s gaze on him, his voice hard. Changkyun quickly averts his gaze, though he can’t keep down the small chuckle that escapes him.

“I can’t help it hyung,” Changkyun defends, adding a whine to his voice for extra effect. “You’re so cute when you’re working hard on something.” Kihyun rolls his eyes in response, but Changkyun catches a flicker of a smile on the older’s lips.

“Just dry the dishes, dongsaeng,” is all Kihyun can say to the younger, not wanting to show how amused he truly is. He doesn’t want to let his guard down with Minhyuk’s boyfriend in the house. He swears, if Minhyuk bothered using his brain half as much as he used to, before the war, they’d have already overthrown this new regime. But, he’s too infatuated with that boy to be bothered, apparently. Ever since Hyungwon strutted into his life, he’s all Minhyuk ever bothers working for.

“I wish you’d give Hyungwon-hyung a chance,” Changkyun comments softly, as if hearing his thoughts. Kihyun glances over surprisedly at the younger’s words, to which Changkyun merely says, “You had that look in your eye that you get whenever you’re forced to stay in the room with Hyungwonnie-hyung for too long.” Kihyun can’t help but chuckle at this, shaking his head at how observant his boyfriend is.

“I just can’t help it,” Kihyun tells him, keeping his voice low so as not to be overheard. “Maybe one day I’ll warm up to him, but I don’t know. There’s just something about him that makes me think he’s trouble, not only for us, but for Minhyuk, in particular.”

“It’s because of who his father is,” Changkyun says plainly, “but I can’t blame you for that. I just hope for all our sakes that one day you’ll feel differently.” Kihyun hums, leaning closer to the younger. The night air has grown chilly, a sure sign of the oncoming winter, and the two young men can’t help but snuggle even closer to escape the cold.

 

Jooheon returns to the remnants of the living room, sitting down on the couch with a sigh. Minhyuk gives him a questioning look, to which the younger only shrugs before beginning to tap out a beat on his knee. Hyungwon glances back at the kitchen, making sure he stills hears the running water before asking his question.

“Jooheon-ssi,” Hyungwon says, earning a friendly smile from the younger, “how close are you to getting a prosthetic for Kihyun-ah?” Jooheon pauses a moment, and then releases a sigh.

“Not as close as I’d like,” he answers truthfully. “There’s been a couple of setbacks, so it may not be for another few months now.”

“Is there anything I can do to help?” Hyungwon presses on. “I can give you some money if that’s what’s—”

“Thank you, hyung,” Jooheon interrupts, though he shakes his head. “I appreciate the offer, but it’s my responsibility. I’ll take care of it, one way or another.” Hyungwon nods in understanding, and turns his attention instead to the youngest returning to the room.

“Are you sleeping here tonight, hyung?” he asks. Changkyun asks Hyungwon this question every time, but every time it’s the same answer.

“Not tonight, Kyunnie,” Hyungwon tells him with a grateful smile, “but thank you for the offer.” Changkyun nods, sitting down next to Jooheon and drumming out a beat on his knees. Kihyun follows soon after, perching himself on the edge of the couch and setting his crutches against the wall beside him. Jooheon watches his movements with a hint of regret in his eyes, and it hurts Hyungwon’s heart to see. Jooheon, as far as he’s seen, is such a caring soul for everyone, trying to take care of and protect them, but there’s some things that he’s been unable to do as of yet.

For instance, paying Kihyun back for his sacrifice in joining his failed rebellion against the oppressive government that had taken over. He knows for a fact that Jooheon regrets what Kihyun has lost more than most things in this world. If only he would accept Hyungwon’s help, then he’d have that weight off his shoulders once and for all.

“Are we ready?” Hoseok asks, reentering the room with a tight smile. The older’s voice shakes Hyungwon from his thoughts, and he shrugs in response, watching as the others nod their heads, most excitedly, but two a bit slower than the rest. With a clapping of his hands, Jooheon stands, and turns to lead the others from the room. Changkyun moves to help Kihyun up, but the older merely shoos him away, giving him a small smile of gratitude.

But, Hyungwon can see the small fire of anger flickering within his eyes, just as he sees everything else within this group that none of them dare mention.