003

So Far Away
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After staying at the hospital for four days, Ji Yeon finally gets discharged with the frame now attached to her left leg. Under direct orders of her physician, she was given instructions of proper treatment and care, such as cleaning kits for her pin site wounds, painkillers, and a daily schedule of adjustments.

 

While their father is working at another city and their mother is out for grocery shopping, Yoongi and Taehyung have decided to pick her and her father up at the hospital entrance. Sadly because Yoongi’s car is only a five seater, Ji Yeon’s mother and brother were unable to come. They helped her get off of her wheelchair and board the car, then put all of her disability equipment in the trunk before heading towards home.

 

When they finally arrived, Ji Yeon gets onto the wheelchair once again as her parents lead her inside the house towards the first floor guest room. Knowing that she is still severely sore, they carefully laid her on the bed and elevated her leg by placing a pillow beneath to prevent swelling. Wanting to see what it looks like, Yu Na asks to lift up her loosened pajama, revealing the frame covering from beneath the knee down towards the sole of her foot, just like how she remembered almost eight years ago.

 

“Does it hurt right now?” she asks her daughter.

 

“A little bit,” Ji Yeon answers. “I already took painkillers earlier.”

 

Yu Na stares deeply onto the pin site wounds, which are approximately 40 wires and thick pins in total piercing through her skin. She then looks at the six struts consisting of measurement numbers that are surrounded and screwed in between the metal rings. “When do we start the adjustments?”

 

“Next week.” Ji Yeon hands the schedule to her as she skims through the dates and numbers for each color-coded strut.

 

“By the time we start on this, it’s going to hurt a lot,” she sighs worriedly. “Be sure to take your painkillers beforehand.”

 

Ji Yeon remains silent and averts away. She clearly remembers those sleepless nights trying to overcome the despicable feeling no matter how much she wanted it to be over. The adjustments may be different, but how much tolerance can she take this time? She heaves a heavy sigh and glances down at her hands; the same hands she used to hit herself when she was begging for everything to stop hurting.

 

A soft knock was heard from the door as Yoongi and Taehyung entered, carrying the walker and crutches and leaned them against the wall. Yoongi informed that he placed the wheelchair in their garage, as Yu Na thanked them for their generosity. They then cast their eyes on Ji Yeon’s leg and were left speechless. Although it’s the only way to fix her, they weren’t expecting the device to look like that. Simply gazing at it already felt unbearable for them.

 

Just then, everyone heard Za Ri entering the house, who is carrying groceries. Yu Na dismissed herself to help make lunch, leaving the three cousins in the room.

 

“How are you feeling?” Taehyung asks. 

 

“I’m fine,” Ji Yeon responds. “Just a little bit sore but I can take it… For now.”

 

Yoongi’s expression fell at her answer as he walks up to the bed and points his finger out. “Will it hurt if I touch it?”

 

She hoists a brow questionably. “No?” She watches him softly tap onto the metal ring and quickly retreats his hand.

 

“My God that feels scary,” he told his brother.

 

“Really?” Taehyung says with widen eyes, then glances at the frame.

 

“Seriously,” Ji Yeon chuckles, and then watches him hesitantly tap on one of the struts before hastily retreating behind his older brother. “You guys are silly, I’m supposed to be more scared than you two.”

 

Upon seeing her giggling happily, an alleviated smile rose on Yoongi’s cheeks. “I’m glad we managed to make you laugh. Belated happy birthday, by the way.”

 

“Thanks, couz. Spending my 18th birthday on that hospital bed really , but the staff made up for it so I’m thankful. Still wish I spent it with everyone, though.” 

 

“Don’t worry, let’s all go somewhere fun on your next one, like an amusement park!” Taehyung suggested. 

 

Both of them exchanged high fives while Yoongi silently sulked. ‘Someone save me from these two…’ He then noticed Ji Yeon’s laughter slowly dying down and appears to be in deep thought. “What’s wrong?”

 

“Just thinking about school, that’s all. Now that I applied for college, I’m relieved that I’m able to take online classes even though I’m not a fan of them. Without it, I’m scared to go on campus.”

 

“Is it because of your leg?” 

 

She slowly nodded. “I would feel uncomfortable, to be honest. Plus if I were to attend on campus, I’m even more scared if the pain suddenly triggers and it’ll be difficult to take care of it in the middle of class.”

 

“Right, I see what you mean. Just do what makes you comfortable even though it to be in bed for a little while. Also if you were to go, I think it’ll be risky for you to be out in the open. There are some idiots who are not careful enough that could lead to an accident, and you’ll end up hurting yourself more. It’s best to play safe.”

 

“You’re definitely right on that,” she remarks. “I really… want to avoid people as much as I can for the time being.”

 

He softens his gaze. “Is there something else that bothers you?”

 

Her thoughts begin to trail off to the memories she wished to forget. Hesitating, she brings her head down and squeezes her hands together. She then flashes a feign, wide smile. “No, not at all.”

 

After a moment of silence, Ji Yeon’s little

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter