30 - Your name that I’ll now call love

Wanted

This chapter wasn't beta read.

In this moment that feels like something out of a new novel
You came to me and filled my days and became a dream
With a blank face, one by one, I’ll start to write
Your name that I’ll now call love
These are words I’ve never told you before


Sondia – The Story That Never Told 
(Extraordinary You Ost)

 

“Champagne?” 

Nari balanced the paper bag with Jinki’s gift on her arm and grabbed a flute of champagne from the tray of a passing waiter. She looked at the glass curiously since she never had drunk it before and took a small sip frowning afterwards because of how sour it was. It was tasty though so she drank the rest of it and placed the flute back on the empty tray of another waiter.

She couldn't afford to get drunk on champagne or distracted with the beautiful decoration of the hotel room, instead she needed to focus and find Jinki, a difficult task when the room was overflowing with guests, waiters walking around with trays with elaborate small delicacies or glasses filled with bubbly champagne. 

Trying not to trip on her heels, Nari scanned the room until she spotted an elegant man dressed in a dark blue suit and white shirt, his brown hair perfectly combed revealing his forehead. Nari sighed because despite the room being filled with elegant people, her boyfriend still managed to be the highlight, dazzling everyone with his smile. She was going to join him but hesitated because he wasn't alone. Beside him, an older woman wearing a beautiful grey dress was smiling back at him, their smiles too similar to be a coincidence. 

Nari observed Jinki’s mother curiously wondering what kind of person she was. Lately, her boyfriend was more open about his feelings and who he was and despite her telling him almost everything about her parents, he rarely mentioned his family. She knew his parents were loving and that he had a good childhood. He had a twin sister with whom he often argued but they were close and he cared for her very much. She also knew that because of his parents traveling a lot or being busy, he had spent a long time of his childhood with his grandparents. It seemed like she knew a lot about his family but it was everything too superficial or small stories of things he had done as a kid that were not fully explored or gave her a clear idea of what his mother or father were like. 

Despite her nervousness, she took a deep breath and decided to interrupt their conversation to introduce herself. She had practiced several things to say to his parents and was ready to charm them. 

When she was close to them Jinki turned and his eyes dropped on her filling with recognition. She smiled at him ready to join them but Jinki excused himself and gently touched her arm pulling her back with him and away from his mother. Nari looked at him questioningly and he lowered his head closer to whisper. 

“I haven't told my mother about you yet.”

“What?” his words stung a little and he certainly could hear it in her voice because he was quick to explain.

“I haven't had time yet. I’m not the kind of person who discusses my romantic life with my parents. But I am going to tell them tonight, and I’m going to introduce you to them.”

Nari rested her hand on the sleeve of his expensive coat fighting the urge to hold his hand. 

“Don't overthink it.” he asked with pleading eyes “I will speak with my father first. I must...explain…”

She didn't understand what he meant by explaining. Maybe his parents were against him dating someone of her lower status.

“Can I do anything to help?” 

His lips parted into a small smile as if the suggestion was funny to him.

“There is a way…” He whispered, placing a hand on her back to direct her, passing through the crowd until they were out in the hallway, staff passing them by. Jinki held her hand then and stepped closer making her bump against the wall. 

Nari blushed, going to point out that people were passing by but Jinki gave her no time pressing his lips to hers. She answered to the kiss grasping the paper bag handles and parting her lips to accommodate his tongue. Jinki’s hand squeezed her hand and then he pulled away. 

“You helped a lot.” he smiled brushing his lips against hers “Thank you.”

“I didn't mean that kind of help…” Nari pushed him away embarrassed, certain that one of the staff had seen them kiss even if they were trained to act as if they saw nothing. 

“We should go back now.” Yet before he walked into the main room, Nari grabbed his hand again.

“Is it because I'm poor?”

His expression fell and he shook his head “No, it's complicated and I'll explain to you later.” He forced a smile “It's going to be alright, don't worry, and ah…” His eyes moved down her body admiring her “You look really beautiful tonight.” 

“Ah, your gift!” She raised the purple paper bag to him “I hope you like it.” 

He grinned accepting the bag and peeked inside.

“I wrapped it up neatly, so open it up later.”

“I will. Thank you.” 

He kissed her cheek and then entered the room again. Nari went after him, touching her hot cheeks and following him with her eyes while he crossed the room greeting people, the bag safely secured in his hand. 

Now that she couldn't approach him or his family - she didn't even know what they looked like - she wondered what she should do. She was scared to try any food since it could have something she was highly allergic to and she probably had nothing to talk about with so many rich and strange people. She smiled at a waitress passing by but was completely ignored and instead settled in one corner of the room from where she could see the main stage with a huge gold banner wishing Jinki a happy birthday with a big tower of presents that the party guests had brought to him. Time passed by slowly and she waited for the moment Jinki would come to introduce his family to her but it never seemed to come and she started to feel very small and insecure until she discovered that if she moved her head to the right she could see Jinki speaking with some of the guests still holding the bag as if it was a treasure. Smaller Nari felt like a giant every time she spotted that special purple bag that was so special to him that it didn't join the big pile of presents on stage. 

 

 

 

Why aren't you picking up my calls?

Or ignoring my texts.

We should talk later.

 

Eunsook cried frustrated looking at her phone. Ever since her small argument with Jonghun that morning, he had called and texted a couple of times and she was going to answer him after she thought she had made him suffer a little and regret arguing with her until that very last text. 

She knew what We need to talk often meant. All her previous relationships ended after the need to talk had come forward. 

They couldn't break up. Jonghyun was stubborn and sometimes he annoyed her but he was her first love and if it came to her he was also going to be the last one. He was her endgame and she was certain of it. Maybe she had forced it by asking him - no, demanding - that he accompany her to her brother's birthday party when he said he couldn't because he was going to work. The truth was that she had spent the whole morning with Jonghyun and his roommates and she hated how close they all seemed. Sure they spent all the time talking about their boyfriends but the way Jonghyun cared about Nari’s health, taking care of her all the time annoyed her. He often also spoke about her and Sora and he texted her often even when they were on dates. She knew Nari had been gravely sick recently and that Jonghyun didn't see her as more than a sister but still she hated that she had to share his attention with other women. 

Yes, Eunsook was extremely jealous and maybe she had asked Jonghyun to come to the party because that meant choosing her over Nari. And yes she was angry with him because he chose Nari in the end. Well, he didn't really choose her but it still felt like he did and her pride was hurt. 

The worst part was her father's smile when she arrived alone. She was sure he feared that she would come with Jonghyun against his wishes. Instead, she was doomed to act like the good daughter and stay beside him while he greeted people making small talk.

Eunsook spotted Jinki coming their way and she rushed to meet him before he was able to listen to their conversation. 

Jinki looked at her suspiciously and she grinned back “Can I stay at your place tonight?”

“What? I thought you were staying with your boyfriend.”

“I was but he has this female friend he adores.”

Jinki frowned “He is cheating on you with some girl?”

“No. It's not that.” She was being unfair. Jonghyun would never cheat on her. He was too much of a real man to do something like that and now she was starting to feel guilty about her actions and the way she acted earlier. He wasn't a property she owned and he had promised his friend already. Besides it was true that the biggest motivation for her to invite him to come was to provoke her father. “Just forget it.”

She was going back to the house after the party and would talk with him, even ask for his forgiveness. If she told him everything surely he would understand.

“No.” Jinki seemed angry now “If he is with some girl I must know. He can't treat you like that!” Eunsook pressed her lips together, loving the way her brother was acting “You are better than any other girl he might find. Introduce me to this guy. I need to talk with him…”

“Are you perhaps worried about your little sister?” She fluttered her eyes and Jinki groaned, pushing her away.

“Of course not. I'm just worried you might leave his house to live with me.”

“Right…” Eunsook chuckled and followed after Jinki who joined their father.

“Are you enjoying the party?” he asked the siblings. 

“Boring…” Eunsook mumbled sipping from a flute of champagne and the older man sighed ignoring her. He patted Jinki’s back and smiled.

“Soon we are going on stage to commemorate.”

“His favorite part…” Eunsook joked knowing well how Jinki hated being the center of attention. 

“Before that…” Jinki touched his neck nervously ”There is someone I want to introduce to you.”

“I'm pretty sure he met everyone already.” Eunsook pointed out receiving a glare from her father. 

“Is there something bothering you today?” The man asked.

“I know that we have talked about my future before and I had followed what you planned for me most of the time...”

“Yes, I'm bothered because you don't accept that I am old enough to choose who I want to date.” Eunsook interrupted Jinki.

“You might be an adult legally but you still have to grow up a lot.” 

“Then let me grow up!” Eunsook raised her voice receiving a warning glance from her father.

Jinki looked at them helplessly. “I really need to talk with you.”

“This is not a good time,” His father pointed out smiling nervously at one of the guests trying to act as if everything was perfect.

“He doesn't hear any of his kids. It's pointless….” Eunsook crossed her arms upset.

“Because you act like kids!” 

Eunsook huffed and walked away leaving Jinki and their father alone.

“Dad I really must…”

“Not now Jinki, your fiancé's parents are coming.”

Jinki widened his eyes following his father’s gaze to the entrance of the room. He completely forgot about them coming to the party. If he acted naturally it would be alright even if Nari saw him with his fiancé. Their engagement had not been officially announced yet and he had barely spoken to the girl before even though they had met a couple of times and even gone on one date. He needed to speak with his father quickly and dissolve that stupid engagement before things got more complicated.

 

 

 

Too much waiting bored her and Nari was beside one of the tables with food carefully observing it for something edible that wasn't bad for her health.

“Eat this.”

Nari turned surprised to see Tae Woon there. It made sense now that she thought of it. His parents owned the hotel and Jinki was his friend. Inna was beside him, holding into his arm as if they were a couple. 

“Yes, we are dating.” He immediately pointed out noticing the way Nari watched them curiously. “Eat this.”

Tae Woon insisted pointing out at a small appetizer that looked like a cracker with meat on top.

“It has chicken and nothing much else. You have many allergies right?”

She was glad he remembered and nodded accepting the suggestion.

“It's delicious.” She complimented after one bite.

“I'll tell the chef.”

“So Jinki invited you?” Inna asked impressed.

“Of course, he is in love with her.” Tae Woon stated smiling gently at Nari. Ever since she had met the man he never seemed to genuinely smile so she felt a little disarmed. He was extremely handsome and no wonder he was followed around by many women. Yet it seemed Inna had won his heart because he seemed very content looking at her. 

“Oh, Taemin!” Tae Woon waved at the man who joined them. Nari greeted him enthusiastically, happy that she met someone else she knew. 

She watched the three friends interact for a while and even laughed at some of the things they said and for a few minutes she felt like she was part of the party. 

“Well, we will leave you now. Inna wants to see the beautiful view from the balcony. Have you gone already?” Tae Woon asked after a while.

“Not yet.” Nari answered and Taemin only smiled.

"Ask Jinki to take you.” Inna blinked an eye at her and both walked away.

"It's a couple's favorite," Taemin explained. "And I'm pretty sure that's where the two of them confessed their feelings. You should ask Jinki to show it to you. You can see the whole city from it, it's very romantic. Should invite Sora to come here someday too."

“Thank you!” Nari turned suddenly to Taemin and he blinked his eyes confused.

“For what?”

“For Sora, I mean for making her happy. She is my best friend, like a sister, and she deserves the world. I know she isn't the easiest person to be with but she has gone through a lot. However, if you truly get to know her you find out that she has the biggest heart. I'm sure you know all of this already.”

Taemin grinned looking at the floor his cheeks a little red and Nari smiled because she could see how he charmed her friend. 

“I do.”

“You love her.” Nari pointed out making him choke on the appetizer he was eating. “Oh, I'm sorry. I'm very straightforward sometimes.”

He smiled cleaning his mouth with the back of his hand “It's not a lie. I do love her.”

“I'm so happy for you two.” 

“You have a girlfriend?” an old man interrupted the conversation and Nari watched him curiously while he spoke to Taemin. Whoever he was he seemed to know Taemin well and looked like a gentle and nice person. He reminded her of her grandfather and Nari had always been very good with old people. Somehow they seemed to like her, maybe Jinki was right and she had an old spirit.

“You didn't answer, do you have a girlfriend?” the old man looked at Nari and she immediately shook her head.

“No, it's not me. It's my friend.”

“I see.” Why was he looking a her so intently? 

“Aren't you going to introduce us?” The man asked turning to Taemin.

“Ah...”

Before Taemin introduced Nari she did it for him “I'm Lee Nari, I'm dating Taemin’s friend.”

Taemin cleared his throat and she looked at him wondering what she said wrong.

“Oh really.” The old man smiled warmly at her “So good to meet you. And which friend?”

“She makes candles,” Taemin added quickly. “The ones Jinki often buys.”

The man nodded interested and Nari wondered how he knew Jinki.

“So you make soap too.”

“Yes, I'm trying to make soap too.”

“Jinki gave me one before. I'm in love with it. Do you have a store?”

Whoever that person was he knew Jinki well since he had given him soap as a gift, the soap she made.

“I'm the owner of a small shop. I inherited it from my parents.”

“Fascinating. Tell me more about it. Did you study or learn from your parents?”

Nari had a weakness, whenever someone asked her about what she did and her passion for candles she would start speaking about it, and rarely did she know how to stop. That was why Sora seldom asked her about her day at work, or Jonghyun walked away sometimes even when she was still speaking, or Jinki kissed her to interrupt her thoughts about candles. However, that man seemed extremely interested, making questions and suggestions and she was having such a good time that she didn't notice how Taemin seemed bored playing on his phone by now or when the birthday boy climbed on stage with his parents. 

Only when the voice of Jinki’s father filled the room did she excuse herself bidding farewell to Taemin and the grandpa and approaching the stage to get a better view. 

Taemin who had been texting Sora for a while also focused his gaze on the stage.

“So she is the girl he is in love with?” 

Taemin stared at the old man who was in fact Jinki’s grandfather. “You mean…”

“Jinki. Is she the girl?”

“Has he told you?” Taemin had no idea that Jinki had told anyone in his family about her, besides Eunsook.

“He didn't have to.” The man chuckled “He is so different since he met her. She is such a curious woman. Very honest and friendly. She is perfect for him.”

“She is.” Taemin agreed. Months ago he wouldn't have seen them being a good couple but now that he knew her, they truly seemed to match. Sadly not everyone would be so happy about his relationship with her. 

 

 

Jinki had tried to speak to his father once again just before they climbed on stage but to no avail. He was upset with Eunsook who stubbornly stayed at the entrance to the stage as a protest and as soon as Jinki tried to confess to his father that he was in a relationship he was already being pushed on stage with his mother. 

As always his father thanked everyone for coming and Jinki knew that soon he was going to give him the microphone for him to give a speech before they sang Happy Birthday and he blew the candles on the huge cake that was prepared. His eyes searched the crowd for her, hoping that it would give him some strength but even though Nari was watching him with a smile he felt ashamed that he hadn't been able to come clean to his parents and looked away to the purple paper bag that Eunsook was now holding for him. He didn't part from it for a second and only was led to give it in when his father asked him to so he could climb on stage. Jinki was sure that whatever was inside was given with love and Nari had spent a long time thinking about it. It was always like that in their relationship, she kept giving him and he kept receiving and failing. Jinki swallowed, he wasn't going to fail her anymore and tonight he would speak with his parents. He searched again but before he found her his father wrapped an arm around him.

“Jinki is the son everyone wishes they had. He was the sweetest child growing up, he was curious and honest and he graduated with honors. He owns his own company and makes me proud every day.”

Jinki looked at his father, the man he looked up to ever since the day he was born. Even though his father was listing his accomplishments as if they were nothing, Jinki had worked hard for them, to be the perfect son. He believed that it was enough for him to be happy but until Nari, he never knew what happiness meant. Once again Jinki tried to find her in the crowd and was relieved when he did. She was watching him intently as if she could feel his troubled emotions. She read him like no one ever could and he fought the urge to run down the stage to hold her hand so that they could make their escape. They would hide in the room over her candle shop and kiss and make love until the end of time. Together everything seemed so easy and possible.

“I am happy to be here celebrating my son’s birthday.” His father squeezed Jinki’s shoulder and the dream he imagined with Nari started to crumble “And happier to announce that he is engaged.” Jinki’s body tensed and he stared at his father while he called his fiancé on stage. “Nothing of this was planned, I just thought this would be the perfect moment to announce such joyous news.” 

His father smiled at Jinki pulling him aside so that his fiancé could join them at the center of the stage but Jinki wasn't there anymore even if his body was. He was already searching, his eyes falling on Eunsook who looked at him uneasily and then at the purple bag she was holding.

Nari.

She wasn't smiling anymore and her face was as pale as it was that day in the hospital, the night he realized that he could never be the Jinki he was before he had met her. She stepped back bumping into Taemin who raised a hand to steady her. Jinki held his breath waiting for disappointment or anger but she didn't react and simply ran away disappearing in the middle of the crowd. Taemin followed after her and Jinki immediately pushed away from his father and climbed down the stage searching for her. He couldn't find her, bumping against people, calling her name. His heart sank, the enormity of what just happened engulfing him. She had found out that all that time he had been engaged to another. Did she think he cheated on her? That he used her? That his feelings weren't real?

“You invited your girlfriend?” Eunsook must have followed him because she was somewhere behind him asking. 

Everyone was confused and Jinki could hear his father improvising an excuse from the stage while he acted like a madman searching for another woman who wasn't his fiancé.

“I saw her leave.” Tae Woon approached Jinki from the middle of the crowd, grabbing him by his arm and Jinki immediately ran out followed by Eunsook.

 

 

He had lied to her. 

The words replayed inside her head over and over again. 

He was promised to another and never told her. 

He cheated on her, one way or another, he had cheated on her.

“Nari wait.'' Taemin followed her outside but she didn't stop. Her family was waiting just down the street and she didn't know where else to go, she only knew she had to leave and fast.

Tears filled her eyes and she had a hard time running with the stupid heels on. But worse of all was the pain in her chest. She had endured more than that, she literally had felt the pain of dying, of being unable to breathe, and yet nothing seemed to feel like what she was feeling at the moment. She was tired, tired of loving, and ending up hurting. 

She released a cry of relief when she saw Jonghyun and Sora. She wanted to call their name but the only sound coming out was her cries of pain. 

Jonghyun was the first one to see her and he immediately abandoned what he was doing to help her. Nari tripped on her feet and fell to the ground at his feet. Jonghyun kneeled in front of her, holding her, asking what was wrong and if she wanted to call an ambulance. She shook her head and fell on his open arms sobbing. He hugged her back and even though she knew she would always be safe in his arms the pain didn't go away.

“What's wrong?" Sora screamed in fear somewhere above them and Nari wanted to explain but she didn't know where to start because she wasn't even sure what had happened. The only thing she knew was that Jinki and her weren't a real couple after all.

“It hurts.”

“What hurts?” Jonghyun tried to pull her away from his arms so that he could look at her but she resisted, too embarrassed to admit that he was right all along, that once again she had entered a doomed relationship.

“Shall I call an ambulance? Oh god…” Sora seemed to be near tears too so Nari finally pulled back and looked at them. She needed to reassure them that she wasn't dying but she couldn't find the words.

“I can explain.” Jinki’s voice behind her made the pain come crashing again and Nari covered her face. She didn't want to see him or talk with him. She was afraid she would break into pieces just like her heart if she did.

“What did you do?” Jonghyun released Nari and stood up “What the did you do?”

“I c-can explain.” Jinki stepped closer and she shrieked and curled into the floor covering her head. She couldn't do it anymore. Someone wrapped her arms around her and Nari recognized Sora’s perfume.

“Just leave.” Jonghyun growled “I knew you were going to hurt her. I knew it since the very first time my eyes set on you. If you don't leave I'm going to kill you.”

“Nari please, listen to me. You need to let me explain.”

“I'm warning you.” 

From Sora’s embrace, Nari looked at the commotion, tears falling down her cheeks.

Jinki was trying to see her but Jonghyun stood like a tower, despite being shorter than him, protecting her from him. 

“Let's stay calm.” Taemin stepped between Jonghyun and Jinki trying to calm both down. 

Eunsook arrived after him, her eyes wide and Nari blinked hers noticing the purple bag she was holding, the bag with Jinki’s birthday gift. It slowly dawned on her why she seemed so familiar, why she thought she had seen her somewhere. It was almost funny if she didn't feel like her heart had been ripped out of her chest. Eunsook seemed to be connecting the dots too opening and closing, her face pale.

“Nari.” Jinki crouched and their eyes met for the first time after he had looked at her on stage and Nari felt as if she had been stabbed in her chest. He seemed so miserable and she knew immediately that he hadn't done it on purpose. That there was more to that story, a whole world of pain and secrets he kept and she wasn't sure if she could handle it all now when she felt so small and breakable. “I didn't know my father was going to announce it….no…” he rubbed his eyes trying to find the right words “I love you. I never lied about that and if you let me…” Jonghyun didn't let him finish. He grabbed him by his expensive white shirt and both of them started pushing each other.

“I told you to leave!”

“I just need a minute." He ignored Jonghyun his eyes firmly on Nari as if nothing else mattered "I didn't even know my fiancé would be at the party!”

“Fiancé?!" Jongyun roared "You !”

“No Jonghyun don't!”

Taemin's plea was ignored when Jonghyun hit Jinki on his jaw.

“Let my brother go!” Eunsook screamed shoving Jonghyun away. He stared at her stunned realizing for the first time that she was there. “He is my brother, you idiot!”

She touched her brother's face checking it for wounds and stared back at Jonghyun furiously. “I didn't think you were this kind of person! I thought you were different but you are just a… caveman.”

“I---so you are the sister of a spoiled cheater? That explains a lot!” Jonghyun growled immediately regretting his words because Eunsook bit her lower lip trying not to cry.

“I didn't cheat on her.” Jinki clarified devastated having eyes only for Nari “I did deserve that though and my sister is not at fault here.”

“It's fine. We don't need to explain what is obvious to idiots like him. I can't believe I ever dated someone like him.”

"Fine, I don't have to take care of a spoiled brat like you!"

“I think you should leave.” Sora pulled Nari up with her interrupting the bickering between the couple “Later, later you two can talk.” She wasn't sure which two she was talking about since two couples had broken up in just a few minutes in front of her eyes.

“She is right.” Taemin held Jinki by his shoulder “Later when everyone calmed down.”

“I'm sorry.” Jinki's eyes filled with tears “I've never wanted to hurt you.”

She knew. He wasn't like the others, he cared for her and that was why it hurt even more.

“Let's go.” Eunsook sent Jonghyun a disappointed glance and pushed Jinki away.

Jinki turned his head to look at her one last time before going and she looked back at him. Nari wanted to understand what had just happened but she was too scared to hear it because that would mean the end of the story she had lived with him. 

“I'll call you later.” Taemin informed Sora before following them. 

“We should go too.” Sora said after a while and Jonghyun silently turned to start placing the candles inside the boxes. The small crowd that had been watching the argument started to disperse and now that they were mostly alone Nari dared to look at Sora. 

“Does it hurt?” At first, she thought she meant her heart but Sora was looking at her bruised knees. She must have hurt herself when she fell and didn't even notice. It was bleeding a little but didn't hurt more than her chest.

“I want to go home.” 

Sora nodded and wrapped a protective arm around her.

“It's going to be alright.”

Nari had said those words to others so many times before but never heard them from Sora which made her smile weakly even though for the first time she wasn't sure she believed them. 

 

 

Jonghyun stood by the door of Nari’s bedroom in silence. 

Once they arrived home Sora had helped Nari shower and change into her pajamas. She told them what had happened and lay in bed, her head in Sora’s lap while she caressed her hair. None of them knew what to say to make her feel better. Nari was always the one who knew what to say and despite her having gone through many love disappointments Jonghyun never had seen her like that. Maybe she was tired of being hurt or probably for the first time Nari was truly heartbroken. 

He stared at the floor also lost in his pain. It was embarrassing how he had failed to see the similarities between Eunsook and Jinki and above all he regretted the way he had offended her, the things he said and didn't mean at all. He was angry with her brother and let his hot-headed self act. Nari hicuped from the bed hiding her crying face on Sora’s lap and Jonghyun also felt like crying. She wasn't the only one who had lost the person she loved that day. It was as if a part of him had been ripped apart. He could try to speak to Eunsook but after what happened, the way they were so different, and her parents' disapproval of their relationship, maybe it was better this way. 

“I'm such an idiot,” Nari mumbled but it could also be his brain telling him that. “I thought we were going to be together forever, that we would get married.”

“You aren't an idiot.” Sora laid down beside Nari hugging her “You are romantic and believe in the best of people.”

“All this time he was engaged and he didn't tell me anything.” she hiccuped again ”Maybe I misunderstood his feelings and intentions.”

“I don't think so.” Sora had spoken with Taemin on the phone and according to him Jinki didn't have a close relationship with his fiancé and was devastated much like her. Jonghyun frowned crossing his arms in front of his chest wondering if just like them Taemin and Eunsook were also at that moment trying to comfort Jinki. “I think he truly loves you but his reality is different from ours. His father found a match for him and after you talk it through then maybe…”

“Don't give her false hopes,” Jonghyun spoke from the door. Just like he and Eunsook weren't meant to be Jinki and Nari could never be together.

Sora glared at him and then hugged Nari again.

“I'm just so tired.” Nari confessed with a deep sigh cleaning her red eyes and blowing her nose “I just want to have what my parents had. If I find that kind of love again then maybe…”

Sora hugged her tighter “And you will have it. If there is someone who will have that kind of relationship then it's you.”

Jonghyun rubbed his eyes getting emotional. No one had loved like Nari’s parents. They were like characters in a romance movie, holding hands, always caring and respecting each other, and even dying one after the other. That was the reason why Nari had such a beautiful image of love, why she desperately longed to be loved like they had loved each other. If she found it then maybe she could feel like she had achieved what her parents wanted for her, a life filled with love. 

“There must be a reason why you tricked death so many times.” Sora said against Nari’s hair “You are meant to live the biggest love story of all time.”

Nari chuckled rubbing her teary eyes “Doesn't feel like it.”

“The best love stories are filled with many obstacles and tears. True love never runs smoothly." He his lips smiling proudly because he was quoting a sentence from one of Nari's dramas and he knew she would recognize it "It wouldn't be a big love story without conflict and the lovers reuniting at the end.” He stated despite his doubts about his own love story surviving and how Jinki was low on his consideration at the moment.

Sora raised her head to smile at him grateful and he looked away. 

“Maybe…” Nari pressed her lips together allowing a little of hope to fill her and Jonghyun closed his eyes hurting. 

It was true that Jinki loved her, even he could see that. The man looked at her with passion every time he thought no one noticed. She had come into his life and despite their differences, she had entered his heart.

“This is just one challenge that your love must face.” he heard Sora say. 

Jonghyun swallowed hard, stepping away from the doorway and closing the door behind him. To Jinki, Nari was his Eunsook. He wasn't sure about the whole story but he screwed up by not being entirely honest with Nari, for doing things that hurt her but he still tried to explain to her what happened and Jonghyun was sure that despite everything Jinki would show up the next day to speak with her. Jinki wasn't the coward he often called him. The only coward in that story was Jonghyun for avoiding what had to be done. 

He pulled his phone from the pocket of his pants and after a small hesitation, he texted Eunsook.

 

 

Jinki was having the worst migraine ever and if it wasn't for Taemin helping him and Eunsook he was sure he wouldn't have survived the last days. Not only Taemin had constantly checked on him but he also had ordered food, cleaned the apartment, and picked up Eunsook's luggage from Nari’s house. 

She was also constantly annoying Jinki which he knew was on purpose to give him a sense of normality even though he felt like the ground had opened under his feet. 

He picked up the small trinket from the table, his companion the last days. It was two simple metal wires tangled on each other that you were supposed to untangle. The kind of logic games he used to do a lot when he was younger and part of the birthday gift Nari offered him. He quickly solved it and yet he kept tangling and untangling it almost as if it was a comforting or stress relief habit. Inside the purple paper bag was also a double ticket for an escape room that he carefully placed inside his wallet and carried everywhere. 

It was ridiculous how attached he was to those two objects but they were a sign of her presence in his life and even though it hurt looking at them he couldn't stop doing so. Everything hurt anyway. Nari was everywhere, even his sheets had smelled like her until the previous day when Eunsook had changed them. He argued with her like a fool and the poor girl didn't understand the motives of his anger at all. 

He laid his head on the cold table and sighed.

“Are you visiting her today again?” Eunsook asked sitting beside him and he raised his head, placing the small metal puzzle in his pocket.

“Yes, in a few minutes.” He would keep trying until Nari acepted to see him.

Eunsook placed her phone down on the table and pushed it for Jinki to see.

On the screen was a big text message.

“I haven't told you before because you were dealing with a lot but I have no one to talk with and…” She sniffed near tears. “I don't want to bother you or anything.”

“You don't bother me, you are my sister I'm used to it.”

She chuckled and he smiled softly at her before grabbing the phone to read.

“Jonghyun sent me that text on the night we argued.”

 

I'm sorry. I should say this to you in person but I'm pretty sure you don't want to meet me and you are also avoiding my calls. 

The things I have said to you and how I acted towards your brother were all a mistake. I was angry and I thought he had cheated on Nari. She is my sister, not by blood, but I care for her as if we did share it. She was the person who pushed me to write every time I thought of giving up. She was by my side when I argued with my father about my dreams of pursuing writing and gave me a place to stay. Yes, I'm not perfect. I know you think I am the perfect man but I'm far from it. I try to live an honest life, to be better every day but I'm not the fairytale prince you see in me. 

I know that often my words and attitudes have hurt you and that sometimes it seems like I don't care about you as much as you care about me. But to me, you are the most precious woman. Not a sister, not only a friend, but the woman I want to love and be with. However, I don't want to be the reason you turn your back on your family. 

I left home when I was young and reckless and I rarely have seen my mother and sister after that. I don't regret doing so but I do regret the way I did it. I wanted to prove to my father that I could be my own person, that I could be a good man, different from the person he was and I completely abandoned them when they needed me the most. It was painful and still is and I don't wish that for you. 

Eunsook I want you to grow up into the great woman I know you can be. I saw your work, I see how beautiful you are inside and out and I want you to show your father how amazing you are and how you don't need his help to be so. But I don't want you to be without him and your family. 

I love you. I should have told you so many many times but I think that we should part ways. It will give you time to be sure about what you want to do with your life. I know you are probably upset now, screaming that you know what you feel and want and I don't doubt that. But sometimes feelings and wanting aren't enough. Being with someone sometimes means sacrificing. Your parents might never accept me and that means giving away your family and status for me. I want you to be sure that it’s truly what you want and not a means to get your independence. 

Maybe someday our paths will cross again and maybe then we will be able to cross the bridge that separates us but for now this is it for us. I'm sorry I can't help you on your journey but I will always be cheering you on. 

 

Jinki finished reading and looked at Eunsook. “You haven't answered.”

“I don't know what to say. I'm so mad with him but…”

“He is right.” Jinki ran a hand through his hair. “He is ing right. I can't do this.”

“What?”

Jinki closed his eyes. He couldn’t take Nari down with him. He had responsibilities too, he made a promise.

It was breaking him apart but he needed to tell Nari.

“I must go.”

Eunsook bit her lower lip and grabbed the phone back.

“Eunsook, I will always be here. It’s not only Jonghyun who believes in you. You have me, Grandpa, Mom, and even Dad. We all want you to be the person Jonghyun mentions in that text and we know you can do it.”

He kissed her forehead and smiled at her “Show him how amazing you are and then sweep him off his feet.”

She giggled with her eyes wet with tears and he pinched her cheek before leaving. 

 

 

The candle store was closed for three days. Nari hadn't left her bed and despite Jinki visiting every day she had denied seeing him. Sora and Jonghyun worried because they had never seen her act like that, not even when she had been sick. 

“I'm sorry.” Sora looked at her boyfriend sadly “I don't feel like going out and the last few days I haven't been the best company.”

“It's fine.” he reached out for the cup of coffee she made for him. Their dates were inside the house where Sora could be close to Nari in case she needed something. “She hasn't come down at all?”

“No. She eats, takes her meds, and showers and that's it. She stays in bed. She hasn't even made any candles. I'm worried.”

“She probably just needs some time to think.”

“How is he?” 

Taemin sighed knowing who she was talking about “He is…” He had visited Jinki that morning and the previous days. His friend wasn't much better than her. “Not good.”

Sora bit her lower lip and stared at the clock on the wall. “I'm sure he will arrive pretty soon.”

“Yeah.” And once again face the disappointment of not being received by her. 

“You know what, I'm going to try the plan B.”

“What is the plan B?” Taemin asked watching her curiously. Sora stood up fixing her skirt.

“I tried the gentle way, Jonghyun tried too and I'm moving into the aggressive approach.”

“What do you mean?” Taemin grabbed her arm before she could leave. “You are going to argue with her?”

“I'm going to…” Sora didn't even know, feeling so frustrated with the way her friend was acting.

“Good morning.” 

They both looked speechless at the door of the kitchen where Nari stood. 

“Nari!”

“I'm sorry I have troubled you.” She looked around the room as if she expected him to come out from a hiding place “Where is Jonghyun?”

Ever since the argument with his girlfriend, Jonghyun hadn't been in his best mood. Sora knew he had texted Eunsook but got no answer from her. “I think he is in his bedroom writing.”

“Alright.” She looked dully at the mugs on top of the table.

“Do you want some coffee?” Taemin offered “Sora has improved.”

“Hey…”

Nari smiled weakly and shook her head “I've eaten. Can you tell Jinki that I’ll receive him today?”

“You can tell him that yourself,” Jonghyun stated from behind her. “He just arrived.”

 

 

“I'm sorry for what Jonghyun did.” 

Jinki blinked his eyes. That was the first thing she told him once he entered her bedroom. 

“And to your sister too. She was caught in all this.”

“It's fine.” Jonghyun did apologize to him the first day he had come to speak to her. “I deserved it and she isn't upset with you. She praised you a lot saying you even lent her a room to stay.” 

“I needed some time to think and feel stronger to face you.” She explained and he stepped closer. This time she was acting differently. She was no longer crying or avoiding looking at him and he wanted to touch her so badly it hurt. But the three days that they had spent apart had let him think and he knew what he had to do. 

“My father set an engagement for me but I barely know her. She has no feelings for me whatsoever and it was kind of settled between us that we would be free to date while we aren't married.”

“Are you engaged for long?”

He knew what she wanted to know “Yes, a while but I wanted to break it off to be with you.”

“Wanted?”

Jinki closed his eyes and took a deep breath knowing exactly how devastating his words would be for both “I can't do it. This marriage will be an alliance between my family and hers. My father was ecstatic when he arranged the engagement. This is his plan for our family and I can't betray him. A long time ago I promised…I….I need to do this.” 

Nari watched him sadly. 

“So you are going to marry her?”

“Yes.”

“Despite loving me?”

He smiled loving her a bit more for being so direct. His fingers itched at his sides wanting to reach for her. Just one more touch, one more hug, one more kiss, his body demanded.

“Yes. Despite you being the woman I love.” he ran a hand through his hair. She needed to know that he had never lied, not about that. She needed to know everything, about when it all started. 

Jinki pictured himself telling her about the day when his life completely changed several times but nothing could have prepared him for that moment. He felt emotionally exhausted and knowing him like she did and being the kindest soul she was Nari grabbed his hand and pulled him to sit with her on her bed. 

“It's alright. I won't judge you, I just need to understand.”

He looked down at their linked hands and closed his eyes. Once he started he knew he would be able to tell her everything. Taking a deep breath he allowed himself to get back to that episode of his life. 

“When we were kids, me and Eunsook often stayed at my grandparents' house. We loved to run around in the garden and they had so much patience for us. I know that people have this impression of rich people as being impersonal and busy all the time but they were never like that. They played with us, told us stories, taught us to do things.”

“Sounds nice.”

“I had it too once, a family likes yours.“ A close family, that accepts you and loves you despite everything. “My parents were busy but they loved me and Eunsook very much. They still do.” 

“You don't have to defend them.”

“I'm not, I just wanted you to know.” He his lips and she squeezed his hand knowing that it would get harder for him to speak now. “One day I was out with my grandmother. She went to pick me up from Minwoo's, Taemin’s brother's birthday party. Eunsook was a brat and stayed home with my grandfather. On our way back and while we stopped in a traffic light two men entered the car. They managed to take us hostages and we were kidnapped.”

“Oh.” 

He could no longer look at her and tried to keep his voice as straight as he could as if what he was telling never happened to him but instead to a stranger.

“We were locked in a decrepit small basement for more than one day while they tried to ask my father for a ransom.”

“It's alright if you don't want to…”

“It's not.” he looked at her and immediately regretted it because she looked so faint, so crushed “You need to know.” 

Jinki took a deep breath and continued “My grandmother had heart problems and she started to feel ill. I called for help but no one came. She died in front of me.” He covered his face with his hands “I couldn't save her.”

“Jinki…” Nari hugged him and he let himself cry in her embrace “You were only a child.”

“It wasn't quick and I begged her to stay but she wasn't strong enough. I stayed beside her dead body for hours until the police arrived to rescue us.”

“It's alright.” She caressed his head tenderly “It's not your fault.”

“I was so hungry, I thought I was going to die too and fail her. She told me that I needed to be a good boy, a good son, and survive, that my parents loved me, that she loved me. I promised her that I would…” he pulled away sniffing and his eyes found her teary ones “I promised her, do you understand? I must be a good son.”

“You are a good son.” She caressed his wet cheeks and he jerked his head grabbing her arms.

“I'm not, I almost...I want to break the promise.”

“What do you mean?”

“If I stay with you and end this engagement against my father's wishes then…”

She pressed her lips together, her hands falling on her lap.

Jinki stood and turned his back to her cleaning his eyes. He knew exactly how devastating his words would be for both “I can't do it. I can't betray my parents like that. A long time ago I promised…I….I need to do this.” he couldn't stop being the child that filled his father with pride, he couldn't do it. “I promised her…she died in front of me and it wasn't fair…I lived and she didn't.”

Nari pressed the heels of her hands against her eyes and took a deep breath. 

“The candles…are for her?”

He nodded trying to ignore how broken she sounded. “When I visit her grave I always light them. She liked the scent.”

A small smile left her lips “I think I met your grandfather at the party.”

He sniffed again and turned to look at her. She was observing him with the most heartbreaking and sad expression ever. And he felt deep down that she wasn't even sad for herself but for him and it was so painful and made him guilty. Jinki had done that to her, he had wooed her, made her fall in love with him, and believe in a future together. 

“You must think I'm crazy. Avoiding emotions, avoiding falling in love, making promises to dead people.”

“No.” She shook her head “No, I don't think you are crazy. I think you went through something so traumatic, something that no child ever should go through, and that for a long time, you closed your heart afraid to get hurt again, to lose someone dear to you again, and that all this time you held onto that promise building a whole persona that is not the real you, hiding behind your smile pretending you are alright with everything your parents decide for you, ignoring your wishes.” Believing his life was a burden and not a blessing. When she saw living as a blessing and a miracle she had seen others like Sora struggle the same way as Jinki.

A mirthless chuckle left his lips. She truly knew him well, so well that he felt ashamed in front of her, vulnerable like a kid caught misbehaving. 

“I wish from the bottom of my heart that someday you realize that you also can…” She hesitated looking away not finishing.

“Someday I also can?” he asked and she shook her head. 

If only he realized that he was fulfilling the promise he made the wrong way, that he was already a good son, and that he was also allowed to love and be loved, to be happy…Being in that world with her and the people he called family and friends was a true blessing. 

She couldn't force him to, not when he could forever blame himself for leaving his family for her. Nari couldn't help him if he didn't want to be helped. How funny that once again she wanted to help him get rid of a bad habit, a deadly one that was making him sick. But that was a harder task than stopping smoking. 

“I'm sorry.” he apologized “When I started dating you I didn't think it would get this far, that it would be serious.”

“I must confess that a part of me expected this. I immediately knew that you didn't truly cheat on me but I also felt like you never once thought we were meant to be.”

“I didn't at first but…I truly wished…hoped that…” they could be a family someday, never to part, together forever like a couple from one of her lame movies.

She sighed disheartened and he stepped closer searching for her warmth, inhaling her scent. What once was comforting and arousing now left him dizzy and heartbroken. He would never love her again, not like she deserved like he so desperately wanted. The worst part was that he had hoped for the day when she could see all the ugly inside him, know what was wrong with him and embrace him, accept him as he was but now even if she did he couldn't be with her.

“I'm so sorry.”

“I know.” She hugged herself and he knew she was also fighting the need to touch him. “That's what hurts more, knowing that you are also in pain, that I can't help you, that you don't let me help you.”

Jinki raised a hand to touch her but hesitated. She grabbed it and placed it on her cheek. Nari would never deny him her affection, ever. If she had to wait for the day he needed her help then she would. No one had touched her heart like he did and she always knew when someone needed her, when someone was meant to be in her life. She had felt it with Jonghyun and Sora and she never regretted caring for them and she knew she would never regret it with him also. Maybe that was why she stayed despite her weak health, maybe that was why she fought to stay. Because she had so much love to give, and so much hope to share, because the biggest love of her life was there in front of her crying for help even if he didn't admit it.

“Did you get my presents?” She whispered as if he hadn't just talked about his dead grandma and broken up with her.

“Yes.” He took the metal puzzle from his pocket and showed it to her. “It was pretty easy to solve.”

“Because you are a genius.” she laughed and he smiled back and for a small moment, they were back to what they were before. 

“I also got the tickets.”

“I wanted to go with you,” she confessed, releasing his hand and he let his fingers roam down to her lips.

“We should do it. As a last date.” The idea was ridiculously painful and any other woman would have said no immediately but Nari wasn't any other woman and she nodded.

“A last day together as boyfriend and girlfriend?”

“Yes.” Why not rip the remaining of his heart once and for all?

“Tomorrow?”

He nodded and she grabbed his hand and kissed his fingers making his heart skip a beat.

“It's a date.”

“Has that ever happened in any of your movies or dramas?” he dared to ask.

“No. Our story is nothing like anything that has ever been written.” 

And that was why it was a great love story, she thought, filled with setbacks and tears but all worth it once they reached the end.

Their story was ending, he thought, only one more chapter left and with no happy ending in sight.

 

 

Taemin smiled, texting back to Sora. His girlfriend had left earlier that day to visit her sister and mother and he had stayed behind to finish work so he had texted her to offer to pick her up to take her home. Ever since he had told her about his brother they had stopped going to the apartment. Even though she didn't admit that she felt uncomfortable in someone else's place, he knew and often slept at her place instead. They had to be careful with the noise but it was exciting to have silent too. It felt at times, almost as if they were having a secret affair. Although, he was sure Jonghyun could hear parts of the affair because he had hinted at it before. 

“Come pick me up.” Sora texted back and he giggled standing up and turning off his laptop. After he turned off the light of his office he left, passing by Sora's desk. That's when he noticed her phone ringing which was weird since it was way past her working hours. Grinning he picked up the phone. It wasn't the first time she did that, calling her phone for him to pick up and saying y dirty things on it.

“Hello.”

However, it wasn't a female voice that answered “Can I please speak with Sora?”

“She isn't in at the moment but I can give her a message.”

The man sighed frustrated “Can you tell her to please stop ignoring my calls? Time is running out for me and I need the photos before it's too late.” 

Taemin wrote the name of the man on a post it and turned off the call frowning. He had heard that name before but couldn't place it. He sat on her seat and opened the internet browser on his phone and after a quick search, he found it. It was the name of a reporter, actually one that had written about his parents in the past, and even his brother’s death. Another vampire that fed on other people's misery. Attached to one of his articles was a picture and Taemin looked at it for a long time until he finally realized where he had seen that man. He was the one speaking to Sora once when they were on a date. She had acted a little weird after as if it was nothing special and he wondered if he was her ex-boyfriend. Taemin hummed leaning back on the chair. He was sure that was nothing. Sora wouldn't have ignored the man if it was something serious. However, that also could mean that he was stalking her or pressuring her to do something she didn't want to. 

Taemin thumped his fingers on the desk thinking. He had a bad feeling about all that and needed to find out more.

 

 

Look at me breaking up all couples..*evil laugh*

I'm sorry. 

Everything always gets worse before the happy ending. ;)

Thank you for reading ~~

Also anyone caught the reference to the old japanese drama Love Generation? It was one of my first japanese dramas.
The story can be frustrating at times but this drama won in the angst and the cute. And I still rewatch it from time to time. I'm a er for frenemies to lovers/ Unrequited love and even though Riko can be a bit overwhelming and Teppei an idiot, they feel very human, imperfect and real.

The quote "True love never runs smooth" Is seen in several advertisements around the city in the drama and it's a version of the quote "The course of true love never did run smooth" from  Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream Act 1 Scene 1. 

Actually this drama is full of symbolism and if you like love stories, japanese dramas, Takuya Kimura (which was super young here), true love stories that don't go smoothly, a quirky female lead who does magic tricks and a idiot male lead that realizes too late he loves the female lead and has to fight to get her back, (and don't mind watching a drama from 1997) then go for it. ^^ 

>.<

Chat with me on twitter.