Act I

Ephemeral Slumber
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hana woke up and found herself in her bed. She looked out of her window and saw that it was almost noon.

'How long has it been this time?' she thought to herself, getting up and walking to her calendar on the wall. There were no marks for the current month which was August. She flipped to the previous page, July, and saw that she has been asleep since July 3rd. 'I missed another holiday...' She quickly turned her head once she heard people talking. 

She crept out of her room and followed the voices which seemed to be coming from the dining room.

"It's been weeks, Chulsoon. She's been sleeping since July 3rd. It's August 20th for God's sake. What if the offer is off of the table by the time she wakes up?" a worried woman said. That voice belonged to Hana's mother.

"She'll wake up. Soon. She's never slept for over 50 days. Don't worry, Jisu. The boy's family is very kind. I'm sure they can wait even just a few days." This voice belonged to her father. 

Hana finally decided to make her presence known by stepping into the dining room. Her parents turned their heads and their eyes widened.

"Hana!" her mother exclaimed, running to her and hugging her tightly.

"Hi Mom." Hana returned the embrace and looked over her mother's shoulder at her dad. "Hi Dad." Her father got up and pulled them in for a group hug.

"Finally, you woke up just in time." her father said, pulling away from the hug.

"In time for what?" Hana asked. Chulsoon motioned for her to have a seat while him and Jisu sat across from her. They stared at Hana with cautious eyes, hoping that the girl would accept what was coming. "Mom... what is this about?" Her mother looked to Chulsoon before sighing.

"We've arranged for you a marriage."

"What?!"

"Now, Hana. He's a very sweet boy and he's your age. You see, we're running very low on money these days... paying for your therapy and doctor's visits. Luckily, your father arranged a deal with the boy's family. If you just marry him, we can afford to help you."

"But... I don't want to get married."

"We understand but this is the only way we can help you. Remember your condition, Hana. You have KLS. We can find a way to accommodate that."

"I don't want any accommodation. I'm fine. I'm used to this just please don't make me get married. Also, what's the point in me getting married if I won't even be awake to be with my husband?"

"That's why we're doing this, Hana. We can find a way. And I'm sure the boy won't mind. He's very sweet."

"Who is this boy?"

"HIs name is Im Jaebum. His family is very wealthy and can ensure you the treatment and care you need, both medically and emotionally. He'll make a fine husband."

"When do I meet him?"

"He will pick you up today after your therapy session. You two will go out on a date and acquaint yourselves."

"What if I don't like him?"

"You will. Now, go get ready. Your session is in an hour." Hana nodded and did as she was told, nervous for what was to come.

 

 

"How long was this episode, Hana?" Dr. Jin asked.

"It's August 20th, right?" The therapist nodded. "Then it'd be... 48 days." Hana swallowed and fiddled with her bracelet. Her therapy sessions have always made her uncomfortable. It wasn't the therapist, perhaps it was just the unwelcoming, white brick walls which made her feel like she was in a prison. The room was very quiet. Just their voices and the faint ticking and tocking of the clock filled the room. Hana hated it.

"That's almost 7 weeks. This was the longest you've been asleep. Do you feel sleepy still?"

"I feel leisurely still, but I have a decent amount of energy."

"Good. You stayed up for a week last time you were awake. Do you think you can make it longer?"

"I'm afraid I can't control that, sir." she said honestly. 

"Right. I'm sorry. Do you want to make it longer?"

"I...I'm not sure."

"Why is that?"

"I'm... getting married."

"And you don't want to?"

"No."

"Could it be because of your condition? Or are you just not ready?"

"I think it's both. Just in my last episode, I met someone. It's strange, really."

"How is it strange?"

"I'm not fond of being around people. I've never had another person... or living thing even in my dreams. Except for plants but as far as animals and humans, I've never seen them during my dreams."

"Ah, so it's just weird suddenly seeing someone in your dream."

"Yes."

"Who is this someone?"

"His name is Park Jinyoung."

"Do you know a Park Jinyoung in real life?"

"No. But when I asked him who he was, he said he was a close friend."

"Perhaps you forgot this Jinyoung?"

"No. I've never seen or met a person like him."

"Could you describe him?"

"He has dark brown, blackish hair. His eyes are brown as well. His skin is milky but healthy looking."

"And you've never met anyone like him?"

"No."

"Perhaps he is just a figure that you've created in your mind to cope with your loneliness."

"But what confuses me is that when I asked why he was there, he said I put him there. And I don't like being around people. I like being alone."

"True, but you're getting around that age when you start to want romance. How old are you now?"

"Twenty."

"Ah, I see. You see, you're in your prime right now, Hana. Woman your age are usually dating by this time. It's important to have some romance in your life as a young adult. That's why I think this is just your way of finding some accompaniment during your long episodes.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter