Story 1 - Chapter 2

New Winds of Spring

She's been going to the East Park all her life, knew every bit of it. Every tree, every new path that developed over the years and all the local people that went there regularly. Some girls she used to play together with, brought their kids there now and she enjoyed taking photos of them. Kleo never got married though. She always believed that in order for her to commit for a whole life it has to be someone special. A friend first and foremost. But she was a loner. She never really went out and when she did, it was always the same people. The owner of the gallery she rented, her sister and her sister's husband. The whole world was trying to impose on her that she cannot be happy unless she has a man in her life. She despised that idea, hated and rejected it. Why couldn't one be happy and content if she does what she loves? In fact she was convinced, looking back on her past relationships, that they were immature and she wasn't ready to commit. That's why they all ended. It was because of her, she thought. Who else could it be, all the men that left said that it was her and since they never took the blame, someone had to and she took it on herself. Without even realising slowly she shut herself in her own world. It was safe and comfortable. She would visit different parts of the town and take urban photos. Sometimes she would take commissions from companies, sometimes private requests. She earned enough to live comfortably, not owning too much but also not doing without. Every Sunday however, she would still go to the park. She felt the need to be among people, to be part of a community and so she went. Talked to some old acquaintances  watched how the seasons have changed everything. To the mere eye the park hasn't changed from one day to an other, but as she took photos week by week and compared the change was so visible, almost shocked her how unnoticed it goes yet how obvious it is. One change she quite liked was when a new company opened offices nearby. There were quite a few families moving in, a new bar also opened where the workers would wind down and enjoy themselves. Gave the town a new spazz. People got excited and it was almost like new life has entered into the area. In the park there were new faces, too. She loved observing them, taking shots and studying each individual deciding what angle and what light suits them best. But there was one person, no matter what angle she used, what light she caught him in, he just always looked very serious and sad. She never saw him with anyone, never approached or spoke to a single person. Just went out in the park, sitting down and looking at the trees. His face was very photogenic and took good care of his skin so the photos came out perfectly, it's just there was something sad about those photos. When he was looking at the trees it was almost like he was looking beyond the trees, projecting his own thoughts on an invisible canvas and watching it like a movie. When he was looking at people he didn't look at them with excitement but like they were old friends that he has known for so long wishing to speak to them but not able to. She was sure that some would think he was an oddball but she knew that there was a lot more to it.

 

One spring weekend, when the sun was out and everyone seemed more excited than usual she also felt some excitement inside. She was sure that it was curiosity.  She wandered whether the sad man was going to be different that day. Even looking forward to seeing him. Maybe the sunshine and all the laughter around in the park was going to rob off on him and maybe he will have a change of expression this spring day. When she got to the park he wasn't there yet. But she knew he will come. He was a man of consistency. And it was just like she expected it to be. He arrived exactly the same time as every other weekend, walked around the park a couple of times, looked at the trees, the falling petals, bought some food from the local vendors then sat down on a bench to eat them. Once he finished he usually got up and left. But this time, he stayed. The sun was setting and it was getting colder by the minute. As everyone slowly was getting ready to leave, as people realised they were cold, he was just sitting on the bench in a light coat still looking at the park. He never stayed until sunset before and how happy she was that he decided to stay this time. The sky was clear and the setting sun was shining straight at him. As he looked into it, it lit up his face and gave it such a warm look that Kloe hasn't seen before. She had to take the photo, she had to stop time so the feeling, the mood, the taste of the moment would become visible forever. She lifted her camera, looked into the lense and saw two hazel brown eyes looking straight at her. It startled her and electricity ran down her spine immediately followed by fear. She felt like she was caught doing something bad, something forbidden. What was she going to do now? She tried to stay as calm and collected as possible and acted like what she did was nothing special. He stood up however and started walking out the park. What if he never comes back again thinking that there is a weird person taking photos of him? He misunderstood for sure! She felt she needed to correct the wrong and ran after him. He looked still uninterested and the expression on his face made it obvious that he was annoyed. There's no other way but complete exposure. She knew there is no way to wash off the shame than go through with it and just say that she is a photographer and it's her job. She offered for him to go to the studio but he didn't seem interested. She was devastated. She went after her curiosity, just doing her thing and was so inconsiderate that her actions were actually close to stalking. She felt ashamed, quickly apologised and just decided to walk the other way. Maybe it would be a good thing if they never met again. 

 

- Sorry. Where is the gallery? - he asked quietly. 

 

Her heart raced and almost jumped out of her chest. Does that mean he will actually see all the pictures she took? Just the idea of him going around and looking at all her pictures felt her feeling dead inside. She regretted the moment she had the idea of inviting him around. Her pictures are her soul, her thoughts, her view of the world. When it's sold and treated as work it is different but exposing it like that to him felt like he will look into her very self. She hated the idea but how stupid would it be to say that she changed her mind and he can't look at any of her pictures. She looked at him and was thinking hard of an excuse to say but what she saw left her speechless. He looked at her directly and his eyes were on fire. She didn't understand what made the change but she was just standing there looking at the expression he made and admiring it for a tiny milisecond. She couldn't say a word just handed over her card an decided to walk away and deal with the emotional roller-coaster on her own. 

It was sure that he would go to the gallery.