Birthday

First Crush

 

When his mother woke him up on his birthday, Taemin had hopes that he could get a free day out of school. Unfortunately, she wasn’t thinking the same.

 

“Why would you stay home for your birthday ? You don’t see me getting free days off work for my birthdays, do you ?” She said, and Taemin groaned as he buried in head in his pillow once more. “I want you downstairs in five, hurry up or we’ll be late.”

 

He mumbled a sleepy ‘yes mom’ and she left. He reluctantly left the comfort of his bed to head downstairs and get some breakfast. He got a small ‘happy birthday’ from his father before he headed to work and thanked him sleepily. After that, he took a quick shower and got dressed in a hurry so his mother could drive him to school. He usually went by foot, but he never wasted the chance to be driven to school if he had the opportunity.

 

His day at school was as boring as ever, with neverending classes and a math pop quiz. He was starting to think he was having the worst birthday ever when he went back home and found the house covered in balloons and other decorative stuff hanging out from the ceiling. There was a large banner on the living room wall with the words ‘happy birthday’ written in many different colors.

 

“What the…” He mumbled, dropping his bag on the floor and moving closer to the banner.

 

People suddenly jumped out from behind the couch and all shouted ‘happy birthday’ at him. He jumped and they laughed at his surprised expression. Everyone was there: his parents, his best friends - including Minho - and... the Kims. Taemin looked at Kibum with wide eyes and the older just smiled happily, waving at him.

 

“What are you all doing here ?” He asked, frowning.

 

“What do you think we’re doing here ?” His father said, chuckling. “We have to celebrate your birthday !”

 

“Oh.”

 

They were all wearing tiny birthday hats and yeah, it was pretty obvious why they were here.

They chuckled at his lack of reaction and all proceeded to give him happy birthday hugs. He had never been a fan of hugs and he was cringing discreetly as they all hugged him one by one and told him happy birthday. Minho was laughing across the room and Taemin glared at him. His parents quickly went to the kitchen and the Kims followed them to help - probably with the cake.

 

“Taemin-ah.”

 

He turned to see Kibum standing in front of him, dressed in ripped skinny jeans and an oversized tee-shirt. He looked good. Well, Kibum always looked good but Taemin would never stop being in awe of his beauty every time he saw him.

 

“Why aren’t you smiling ?” Kibum asked with a frown on his forehead. “Don’t you like the party ?”

 

“I do !” He said - probably a bit too loudly, but it made Kibum smile so it was worth it -, and the older man wrapped his arms around Taemin’s shoulder to hug him. He blushed at the contact and shakingly put his arms around Kibum’s waist to hug him back. Kibum was taller than him so Taemin’s head was buried in his chest and he smiled against the older’s top. He was thinking about how warm Kibum was, and how good he smelled - like strawberries - but all too soon, it ended.

 

“Come on.” Kibum said as he pulled away with his usual sweet smile. “My parents are in the kitchen and I don’t know about you but I don’t trust my dad alone with a cake.”

 

Taemin smiled at that and Kibum ruffled his hair before walking away in the direction of the kitchen. Taemin stared at his retracting figure longingly.

 

“You’re so whipped.” He turned towards Minho and glared at him. “Don’t look at me like that, you know it’s true.”

 

Taemin shrugged.

 

“So what ?”

 

“You don’t stand a chance.”

 

Taemin knew Minho was being playful and he obviously didn’t mean any harm - it was just teasing -, but he couldn’t help but being irritated by it. He usually didn’t really care about this kind of comment - it was the truth, after all -, except today was his birthday and if there was one day he didn’t want to be reminded of the zero percent chance he had of dating his crush, it was today.

 

“ you.” He snapped.

 

Minho’s eyes widened and he put his hand on Taemin’s shoulder.

 

“Hey, I didn’t mean-”

 

“I know ! Just... not today.”

 

“Sorry, Tae.” Minho said softly and Taemin just mumbled a small unconvincing ‘it’s okay’ at him.

 

They stood there awkwardly for a few seconds and Minho spoke up.

 

“I’m a terrible best friend.”

 

“Yes, you are.” Taemin said.

 

“I’m not worthy of your friendship, ô Great Taemin. I beg you to forgive me.” Minho said dramatically and Taemin’s lips unwillingly curved up in a smile. He hit his best friend on the arm, muttering a small ‘you’re stupid’ and Minho smiled.

 

“You know, for all it’s worth I genuinely think that if Kibum ever ended up dating a young annoying teen it’d totally be you.”

 

Taemin smiled at the stupid attempt to lift his spirits.

 

“Except you should really do something about the mumbling because he’s older so he might not hear you really well.”

 

“I don’t mumble.” He mumbled.

 

Minho looked at him as if asking if he was serious and Taemin sighed. Okay, maybe he had a point.

 

“Okay but he’s not that old.”

 

“You’re in love with him, you’re biased.”

 

Taemin rolled his eyes at that.

 

His father walked in the living room and told everyone it was time for the cake.

 

He gestured for Taemin to sit the end of the dining table while the others were standing by their chairs, waiting. The music suddenly stopped and the lights were switched off. Everyone turned their heads towards the kitchen and there Kibum was, walking up to him with a huge cake in his hands. A bunch of candles were lit and the small light illuminated Kibum’s pretty face. They all started singing that birthday song with their eyes fixed on the cake, but Taemin only had eyes for Kibum.

 

“Happy birthday, Taemin-ah.” The older said softly, a small smile on his lips as he put the cake down on the table in front of him before leaning in to peck his cheek. Taemin swore his heart beat so loud he thought everyone in the room would hear it.

 

He muttered a small ‘thanks’ and looked away awkwardly. If he hadn’t been sure he was blushing, he damn knew he was thanks to the amused look Minho was throwing him from across the table. He just hoped everyone’s attention was turned to the cake instead of him. It was not very plausible, but still. He could dream, right ?

 

“Come on sweetie, make a wish.” Kibum’s mother said gently - she was standing next to his own mother, who was holding a camera and obviously filming the whole thing - and Taemin looked down at the candles with a frown. He didn’t know what to wish for.

 

A few seconds passed and everyone was looking at him expectantly.

 

“The candles are melting, Taemin.” His mother said, egging him on.

 

“Just think about the thing you want most.” Someone else said, it must have been his father.

 

The thing I want most ?

 

He glanced at Kibum standing next to him and the older smiled when he noticed him staring.

 

But that’s never gonna happen… Even if I wish for it.

 

Alright then, what’s the second thing I want most ?

 

His grades were okay; they weren’t the best but they weren’t worth wasting a wish on them. He had everything he wished for, really. Well, except for that new game he’d been wanting for ages, but he hadn’t opened his presents yet and he was pretty sure his parents had bought it for him.

 

All of those things seemed to insignificant, he wasn’t sure anything would be worth wishing for.

 

He thought back of what happened this year, of the time he found Kibum crying in his garden, of all of times he found the older with his pretty eyes red and sad. These past few months hadn’t been the happiest for Kibum, and no matter what Taemin did to make him feel better, he still felt powerless at the extent of his broken heart.

 

He leaned over the cake and closed his eyes as he blew the candles.

 

I wish for Kibum to be happy again.

 

Everyone clapped once the candles were blown, and his mother and Kibum hurried to take the cake back to the kitchen to take off the candles and cut it into pieces.

 

Everyone started chatting and Minho sat beside him.

 

“So what did you wish for ?” His friend asked.

 

“You shouldn’t ask that.” Mrs Kim said. “If he says it it’ll never come true.”

 

“I have a good idea of what it is anyway.” Minho said smugly.

 

Taemin smiled at that. Maybe not.

 

They arrived with the cake at that moment, and everyone was served with a piece. Minho looked at the piece in Taemin’s plate with envy and gasped.

 

“Why do you have a bigger piece ?”

 

“Because it’s his birthday ! Of course he has a bigger piece.” Mr Kim said. “And I hope I get a bigger piece of cake at my birthday as well.”

 

“You can’t.” Kibum said. “You have to take care of your health, remember ?”

 

“You’re already lucky you get cake at all.” Mrs Kim said.

 

They kept talking about cakes and Kibum’s father kept complaining about how unfair it was for him not to have cake on his birthday when Minho leaned closer to Taemin to whisper:

 

“Well at least your future in-laws already like you. They’re always defending you !”

 

Taemin hit him on the shoulder but smiled anyway. It was true that the Kims liked him.

He looked down at the strawberry cake in his plate and took a big spoonful of it. The cake tasted delicious, but Kibum had baked so he hadn’t expected it to be any other way. He glanced at the older and as if he had sensed his eyes on him, the older looked up and smiled, waving a little.

 

It was definitely one of his best birthdays.