Instruction Manual

Heartless

“Come get a robot of your own, for it can do everything for you!”

 

Mingyu stared at the screen of his laptop, obviously dumbfounded at the website that his friend gave him.

 

“Doesn’t it sound cool? you should try it!”

 

The taller between the two then tilted his head to his friend, Seokmin, with a forced smile.

 

“And tell me why I, the person who was given the site, have to try it and not you, the person who found the site?”

 

His friend then shrugged.

 

“Maybe because I actually have a girlfriend and am not risking the fact that she might think that I’m dating a robot?”

 

Mingyu scoffed.

 

“Stop trying to show off that you have a girlfriend.”

“Sorry that Yuna actually likes me, and no one likes you.”

“Why are you my friend again?”

“Maybe because I’m handsome?”

“I’m better off with Wonwoo being my friend, thanks and bye.”

 

Seokmin then snatched the laptop away from Mingyu’s hold, and continued to scroll through the site, searching for the form.

Mingyu let out a long sigh, tired of his friend’s antics.

 

“Ah, I found it!”

 

Mingyu just stared as Seokmin’s hands continue to type out the information needed to order one. He silently hoped that his friend would turn to look at him, to ask for his information but none of that happened.

He then cursed himself mentally for being best friends with the guy for so long.

When the guy next to him finished, he handed the laptop back along with a bright smile, full of hope that he would click the ‘agree’ button.

Mingyu stares at Seokmin with hopeless eyes, before letting out another sigh as he clicked the only button left to complete the form.

 

“Come on, it can’t be that bad. After all, it’s a guaranteed site, it’s giving out free ones and you live alone anyways.”

 

He put down the cover of the laptop and took his phone, focusing on it now.

 

“If you really don’t like it, then just treat it as a maid. If you disagree of it that much, then just send it back.”

 

Mingyu mentally agreed with Seokmin, and tried to convince himself that this can’t be that much of a mistake.


Mingyu stared at the huge box sitting in the middle lf his living room, waiting to be opened patiently.

 

Maybe this can be that much of a mistake.

 

He put down his bag on the couch and sat on it, rethinking his life decisions.

After around 5 minutes of doing so, he then decided,

 

Why the hell not.

 

And so, he took a knife from his kitchen and headed back to the box, standing steadily in front of it.

Slowly, he ran the tip of the knife along the line of tape, where the opening would be.

Cutting the sides as well, he placed the knife onto the table next to him.

Mingyu then slowly peeled off the pieces of cardboard, imagining the metal arms and feet it would have, and how soulless its’ eyes would seem.

As he pushed the pieces all away, he saw what he definitely did not expect.

 

It was a bob haired girl, sitting with her legs folded, and her arms holding onto her legs comfortably.

 

His eyes widened, thinking that they actually put a girl in the box and took a few steps back.

He observed the girl, checking to see if she shows any signs of breathing, or any signs of life in general.

After a good 5 minutes, he concluded that the girl was the robot. He moved nearer and looked inside the box, seeing a sheet of paper and a remote in a bubble wrapper.

He carefully took them out, making sure that he doesn’t touch the robot just in case it would suddenly breathe or some sort.

Mingyu rested on the couch, eyes set on the wrapper in his hands. Dumping out the content next to him, he took the sheet of paper which seemed like a self introduction.


DETAILS

NAME : Jung Eunbi / Eunha

GENDER : Girl

BIRTHDAY : 30th May

AGE : 21

HEIGHT : 162cm

CLOTHING SIZE : S/M

SHOE SIZE : 5 (UK)

 

HOW TO TURN ON :

Press the green button on the remote given. To turn off, the red.

 

Please enjoy your product! In case of any errors, please contact us at +82 XXX XXXX


Mingyu let out a small laugh, amused that they even prepared the clothing size and shoe size for a robot.

He then took the remote into his hand.

It’s like a TV remoteー except that there’s literally only two buttons.

He takes in a deep breath, letting it out as he prepares himself.

He stares at the box in front of him as his fingers hovered over the green button.

He slowly puts his finger on it, pressing it gently.


 

 

Nothing happened.

 

Mingyu pressed the button a few more timesー just in case he didn’t press it hard enough, before checking the battery.

 

Oh right, of course they wouldn’t ship it along with batteries.

 

He then took the TV remote placed conveniently next to him and taking out the batteries, placing them into the other remote as they fit (thankfully).

Mingyu pressed the green button again just to make sure that it works, before getting startled that the girl in the box suddenly stood upー humanlike, if he might add.

The girl carelessly kicks the box further from her, turning around to meet Mingyu’s eyes before she let out a smile, bowing to him.

The guy stared at the girl robot in front of him with wide eyes.

 

“Hi, I’m Jung Eunbi and I’m glad to be at your service!”

 

What the hell, even her voice sounds like a legitimate human. I could’ve sworn I had a classmate in elementary school who sounds exactly like that.

 

Mingyu continues to eye her up and down, taking note that she’s wearing such humanlike clothes too.A black, slightly oversized hoodie along with denim jeans that hugged her feet perfectly, leaving no space fitted with red, high cut converse shoes.

 

She seems like she’s ready to go out with her friends, for god’s sake.

 

He couldn’t believe that the robot in front of him was, well, a robot.

Mingyu cleared his throat, sitting up straight.

 

“Y- You sure that you’re a robot?”

“Most certainly, customer! Ah, before that, can I have a name to call you?”

“Kim Mingyu.”

“Well then, I’m glad to be at your service Kim Mingyu!”

 

He let out a small laugh as the girl in front of him bowed down for the second time, and also at her calling him so formally.

 

“No no, it’s fine to call me just Mingyu.”

“Well then, glad to be at your service, Mingyu!”

 

And the girl bowed once again.

Mingyu let out another laugh, thinking to himself.


Maybe this isn’t going to be so bad after all.