Begin Again.

He's Gone // Air

"Just, talk to him, you know?"

Lee Howon fights the urge to punch his friend in the face. Nam Woohyun might look pretty, but his personality is absolute .

Even so, however, Howon must admit that he has a point. No problem is going to be solved without communication.

"He hates me," he moans, laying his head down on the table. Woohyun takes a swig of his beer and sets the empty glass down with a loud bang.

"So do I," he declares casually. "You broke up with my best friend. Well, actually, he broke up with you because of a misunderstanding. But still. You broke his heart."

Howon does not need to be reminded of his little up. "It was a joke," he mutters angrily, glaring into the amber recesses of his beer. "It's all Sungyeol's fault for taking it too seriously. ing, Sungyeol."

Woohyun says nothing, and Howon goes on. "But I guess you're... right. I know that you think I said it on purpose, and I think I did. But I regret it so much. I wanted to take it back as soon as I said it. I never knew how much I needed him, how much I depended on him. I never realized how empty my house was without him, how silent it was. And I just, I didn't think I really, truly loved him."

"But you do." Woohyun leans forward. "You do, and that's all that matters, because I know that he, despite his better conscience and wishes, still truly loves you."

"So you think-" Howon pauses, almost afraid of the answer. "-you think I should tell him the truth?"

"I don't think anything," Woohyun answers simply, standing up to leave. "I just implore you to please not break his heart any further."

He walks away, leaving Howon alone in the dim-lit night.

--

"Sunggyu," the text reads. "Please, I want to talk to you."

Kim Sunggyu lets out a shaking sigh, tamps down the pain in his heart, and turns off his phone.

"Instead of hiding," Kim Myungsoo says quietly, "face it and confront."

If looks could kill, Myungsoo would be thrice-dead.

Not that he cares.

"Sunggyu," he pushes on calmly, nonchalantly playing a game on his phone. "Sunggyu, I know you still love him, but have you ever thought that maybe he loves you too?"

" him," Sunggyu spits, voice laced wth venom. "He's a ing boy, and I don't care about him anymore."

Myungsoo puts down his phone. "You can tell yourself that," he says softly, "but you can't ever believe it. Talk to him, Sunggyu," he continues. "I think it'll do you both well."

Sunggyu trembles, and Myungsoo pretends not to see.

"At the very least," he whispers, "at least it will be closure."

--

Spoons clink against ceramic mugs. An aroma of coffee fills the warm cafe, and the upcoming Christmas give it all a homely air.

Except for the stony silence between two people. Lovers, so it seems, or perhaps brothers.

Lee Howon picks up another sugar cube, puts it back, and takes a deep breath.

"I want to talk about what you heard that day," he says, trying to keep his voice still. Sunggyu only continues drinking his coffee, not looking at Howon.

"Sunggyu," Howon begs, tears filling his eyes. "It was a joke. I didn't realize how much it would hurt you, and I didn't know how much I would regret it."

"Funny," Sunggyu says coldly, looking at the window. "That's not what Sungyeol told me. He said you were completely serious, that you looked like you absolutely loathed me. I don't think you regret it at all."

He shifts in his seat, and Howon gasps, starting to cry.

"No, Sunggyu!" he sobs desperately, half out of his seat to apprehend him. "Sunggyu, please..."

"I was sitting on my phone," Sunggyu says, less sharply than before. "It was uncomfortable."

Silence, a bit awkward. Sunggyu keeps his eyes trained upon the bowl of sugar, although his eyes often flick up to Howon, who looks out the window, trying to stem the flow of his tears.

Finally, still crying a bit, Howon looks back at the table. "I never realized how much I love you," he whispers. "I never knew how empty my life would be without you, how dark it became.

"And I confess, Sunggyu, I see you in my dreams, and you forgive me, asking me if I want to start again with you, and I do. I really do, and this time, I'll treasure it."

Sunggyu is crying, and outside, it's snowing. "I think," he says through tears, "I think we can meet again." He wipes away his tears and holds out a hand. "Hello, I'm Kim Sunggyu."

"My name is Lee Howon."