Chapter 2 : Jungkook

What Would You Do Between The Two?

Did he just say he wants to talk to you?

And forget the fact that you have to enter the class? Forgetting the fact that you spent approximately one flipping kilometer to get to this place from the main gate?  Whatever it is, the only thing you are sure about is that Jungkook does not pay for your tuition to gain him the audacity to tell you to skip your educational need. 

Hence of that, you Jeon Jungkook.

Gritting your teeth in disbelief, you turn the doorknob carefully to be greeted by the entire room looking at your presence and the professor looks at you with a ‘you-don’t-have-any-other-option-but-to-get-out” stare with which you absentmindedly reply with another step into the room, a rebellious mode, shall you say.  “I expect all my students to come on time, you seem not to be qualified,” the words hang mid-air before someone finally cuts in.

“Sir, without leaving any respect, the limitation time to enter the class is fifteen minutes late,” the familiar voice echoed, breaking the thin air that enveloped the classroom.  “She’s in fact thirteen minutes late, according to my timetable,” Jisung continues and you watch as the tensed wrinkle on the professor’s face slowly vanishes.  Grinning from ear to ear, Jisung finally lands his eyes on you and you can’t thank God and ancestors enough for bringing someone like Jisung into your life.

“You may enter but make this your last trespass,” the Professor warns and proceeds on slamming the whiteboard eraser to the table, all heads turning to his lecture again and you suppose it’d be better to stride as fast as you can to the empty seat beside Jisung.

“Seriously, trespass?  Is this class his property or something?”  Jisung jeers in lowered tone once you settle yourself on the seat.

“Since when did you become attentive toward rules?” you admitted his previous heroic action and cringe at the remembrance. 

“It’s a merry sweetie, I saved you,” he clicks his tounge inside his mouth and you shake your head.  “It’s been fifteen minutes passed, and you basically only have to do a blink of an eye to be here from your last subject classroom—like—where have you been?  Northpole?”

“The front gate,” you exhale a frustrated breath and he notices a slight hesitance on your tone as he rearranges his position, preparing himself for your explanation, “I walk Jisoo on her way, she’s not in a good mood after all the that’s been happening this past few months.”

“Jungkook?”  once the word comes out of his mouth, Jisung hastily checks if his voice is lowered enough, afraid if any other student will find out about what you two are talking about and you confirm his question with a nod.  “Didn’t they already make up?”

“There’s so many news circulating about them, people doesn’t even know which one is the truth,” you arch your eyebrow as the thought of the two burdens you without you knowing the reason.  Does secondhand annoyance even exists?  Rummaging your bag for your notes in a hope that maybe you can jot down anything from the class today despite you’re not paying full attention to the lecture, you continue with a, “but I have such a good common sense about how things works and it usually turns out right—big time.  They’re going to break up soon.”

Jisung’s lip parts open in search for a suitable respond to your statement and he says, “You are very disarming do you know that?” he shakes his head in utter disbelief.  “How do you come up with such conclusion?  Jungkook maybe just need some time to focus on his study.  He’s a fourth year, after all?”

“Uhm, that’s a yes.  But we know him,” you emphasize the ‘we’ in the sentence with reassurance, “he’s had some issues with few girls in the past and it only means one or another for him to actually do it to Jisoo.”

“Okay, I know he’s not good but he’s not that bad.  You make him sounds awful.”

“Then what do you expect?  You want me to glorify him like you do?”

“I’m not!”  Jisung slaps your head with a book and you muffle your hiss before it’s even audible.  “I was just debating maybe after all he can change,” he adds and you don’t want to jinx the statement yet, though it makes the least of the sense.

“Don’t you think he’s gone too far with experimenting?” you exit your moment of reverie by the sound of the clicking door and watch the person who goes in as he watches you back.

“What the—did you see that?”  Jisung half-woes and half-chuckles at the phenomenon and you glare at him, turning down the temporary euphoria.  “What makes him to look at you like that?  Does he know what we’ve been talkin’ about?  Like a mind reader?” 

“No, but I know the reason,” you laugh while shaking off the thoughts of Jungkook has something to tell you earlier and the huge probability of him being pissed off because you dumped his request.  “He wanted to talk to me earlier before I enter the class,” you say, jotting down more notes and start concentrating on the class.  You don’t glance but you can see Jisung’s bewildered expression as he inwardly shakes off the thought too.

“So you’re going to talk with him or…?” Jisung traces off, curiosity is barely evident within his voice as he half mumbled the question to you while playing mobile legend on his phone, and you bite your lip, taking in consideration.

“I’ll try,” you assert, jotting down more notes and settle yourself for a determination.

--

Class ended about ten minutes ago and you stay put, enduring the time that you have to pack your belongings while Jisung already bid his goodbye to you with a ‘good luck!’ as soon as the Professor left the class, tailing behind him.  You take out your phone and navigate as fast as you can for the messenger, watching silently the person whom you message from far.  Jungkook is on his way with turning off his notebook when you message him, completely unaware that his phone lit up for fleeting second with the notification coming in.   

Don’t go just yet.  You wanna talk, right?—was your message, and you are wrong when you thought that messenger works more efficiently rather than calling out his name in person, because once he’s done putting in his books, he stands up and walks down the descending floor to walk out of the room.  Hustling from your shift, you hastily skips down few ladder on the floor, almost tripping on your way and when it reaches his back you finally calls out, “Jungkook!”

He turns his back at once and looks at you, “Yea?”

“Stay here, if you have something to talk—no—I wanna talk to you,” your words are jumbled because you completely forgot the context that first, he might about to leave the class because he forgot about talking to you, or second, he might about to leave the class because he doesn’t want to talk to you anymore. 

Slightly puzzled and (probably) surprised, Jungkook nods and sits on one of the front row seat.  Eyes following you who make your way up to the back of the class to grab your bag.  You bite your lip, not knowing what will happen next and automatically reach for your cellphone to message Jisung right away. 

P

P

P

I told him to stay put, what to do next?

Wait ‘til everyone leaves.

So you sit down too, waiting for every occupant to empty out the room with non-fascinated eyes.  Stealing a glance, you don’t know how to put it when Jungkook doesn’t move or even turn his back at you as he waits on his seat—it’s been twenty minutes and if you were him you would’ve left because it’s completely a waste of a time.  When the last person vanishes, you walk down to where he sits and settle yourself adjacent to him, sitting on the table instead.  “I suppose you have something to tell to me before?”

Jungkook tilts his head to the side as he clears his throat, “I do.  I hope this can sort out some of—things.”   

“Go on then,” you reply, a bit distant.

“Things are off lately, and I messed up big time but please, stop assuming things,” he declares with a restrained desperation.

“Great, you’re more careful about the fact that someone talk behind your back instead of someone’s feeling?  A person who has feeling for you?” you corner him with your first question and Jungkook immediately shakes his head as if he’s telling you that you don’t get the idea.

“It’s not like that,” he pauses, tilts his head before answering again.  “I stop checking on Jisoo’s condition—I was before but not anymore.  It’s been two months ever since she non-stop bombarding me with messages and calls, and all I want to do is just a space to actually confirm and tell her about our status.”

“Jungkook she still has the right to ask about the relationship,” you complaint and he shuts his eyes in instant.  Your voice echoes throughout the whole room and you thought about how weird the conversation is.  What’s more strange than sticking up with a speculation and trying to find an answer from someone whom you can’t even trust in the first place?  But as much as you despise being present in the moment, you need to know from Jungkook’s point of view before jumping into another speculation.  You’re not siding to any of the parties, though.

“This is why I said stop assuming things,” he opens his eyes, and stares at you long enough to send you chill.  The harsh lines of his eye brow soften, almost faltering as he lowers down his gaze to the ground, leaving behind a perplexity mid-air.  You want to regain his attention but it’s held back, probably the same way as his words.  “We’re never in a relationship.”

“What?” is the only response you can say.

Jungkook stares at you again, this time moving from his position and slowly avert his gaze to a far distance.  “Stop assuming things, because Jisoo and I are never in a relationship.”

 

 

---