Chapter 1 : Jungkook

What Would You Do Between The Two?

“He didn’t even check on my message last night,” Jisoo bitterly sulks, letting out another sigh as she tousles her hair.  You’re not completely listening to her complain as you need to concentrate on something much less more important at the moment, and that is…ordering your food.  “Do you even listen?” she nudges your side only to be brushed off by your dismissive attitude.

“Yeah I was trying to,” you shortly reply, earning an irritated laugh from her.  “Jisoo, I have my need,” you say to her after deciding which food to be ordered to the lady.  Once you set off your determination, you go back to your seat and wait for a sulky Jisoo to follow you.  Supporting your chin on your hand, you inwardly sigh at the uneasiness. Jisoo doesn’t even bother to look anywhere but her cellphone for the next ten minutes, even after you received your order.

“Okay, spit it out.”

“You filthy pig,” Jisoo spits out her anger at you.  “I really need some enlightenment right now,” she wraps her arm on the table and sinks into it, feeling the weight that she carries around for the past month getting even heavier. 

She shouldn’t have dated him from the first time, you thought to yourself.  This sounds so bitter and disarming, but you know a guy like Jungkook doesn’t even actually falls in love.  There is a coherent line between being in love and developing amusement to the idea just because one is simply experimenting with the relationship term and circumstance.  If it isn’t clear enough, Jungkook does the latter said kind of act. 

What’s more to the fact?  It is, the fact that he knows what he’s been doing, which makes him even worse.

Jisoo and Jungkook have been dating for around half a year from what you remember and you knew it not because you’ve been attentive toward the relationship but somehow you consecutively got to know the information between the two parties.  How do you know it?  You never asked though, it always comes by itself to you. 

On normal behavior, Jisoo will find you as the last person to be informed by her report.  Yes, both of you are taking the title of best friend, but somehow it doesn’t really bother you.  You are very, what to say, nonchalance and maybe she’s just being uncomfortable because she knows how you’ll respond to her stories.   Maybe she’s already annoyed by your past responses.  Maybe she’s hiding something from you.  Whatever the reason, you don’t want to know because you consider it as a small matter.  Still by the end of the day, Jisoo will eventually wound up with her sulks and tantrums or flowers and butterflies at you.    

So here’s the highlight from what you see from being with her for years, Jisoo is a drop dead, ridiculous, hopeless romantic.  You don’t get how her mind works sometimes (or more so you also don’t get how your own mind works most of the time).  Jungkook is never going subtle in showing her that he’s not that into her throughout the relationship.  Nobody gets his point though, not even Jisoo herself.  The level of ignorance is something that very few of people can tolerate in a relationship.  He’s very distant—but not in general, only in his relationship.  Because all in all, Jungkook is pretty known for his winning look and attitude that can attract people easily.  He’s a ball of sunshine, so bright that the intensity doesn’t ring a bell to you—you are to be truthfully speaking, intimidated by his presence.  Those pieces of puzzles don’t make any sense as to why he would agree to be in their relationship.     

How so ever, Jisoo is persistent in maintaining their relationship to a point where even if her mother step down to meddle with their relationship, she will not give up.  You know it all too well that her behavior is irrelevant for their condition as Jungkook will be even more irritated by her.  Guys don’t really like restrictions, do they? 

What’s more to be hold onto when the whole house is burning?  None of the two gets to resolve their problems even when the fire would momentarily die down.  So to speak, if you were them you would call it and end, or to a more cordial option, a break. 

“Have both of you resolved this in any way?” you ask after a quite long reverie.

Jisoo looks up at you and begin, “We talked once.  He said he needs to focus on something more important than the relationship, but I couldn’t collect myself to hear what he wanted to explain so I broke down in front of him and he stopped explaining.  He took me back home and that’s the last time we made contact.”

“You cried?” the question pops out from your curiosity immediately and she nods at it.  “No wonder he’s been referring himself from further contact,” this time you grow more serious about the topic.  “He’s probably afraid that you would cry again, like the last time,” you pause a bit before reconsidering what you’re about to say but by this rate you think that she needs some heads up. “This is the worst probability Jisoo.  Maybe Jungkook actually just need a break or whatever you name it because even if he’s everyone’s adored bachelor, an extraterrestrial, a flawless creature—at the end of the day he’s still guy with hormone and ego,” you state matter-of-fact-ly and notices a slight approval as Jisoo bites back her lip in defeat.  She’s quick to cast it away though.  “His testosterone is something himself can’t even defy from running inside himself from birth, Jisoo.”

“Oh now you give him nicknames?” Jisoo replies in clear annoyance.  “I don’t know I still hope there’s a better explanation to that.”

“Don’t expect much,” you assert.  “You never know.”

“He’s my boyfriend so why can’t I be attached to the expectations of him.”

“You never listened to what I said to you,” you nonchalantly backfire.  “You can never expected anything from human,” you continue curtly and Jisoo stiffens on her seat with a hint of remorse on her face, probably recalling how she never listened to you regardless the fact that she had been having a series of advisory sessions with you.  “Wake up, Juliet,” you dart back your attention to your food and take another bite of it.

“Okay, I’m sorry for that,” Jisoo lets out breath. “It’s just that every time you say it, it’s so… bitter.”

“I’m telling you the truth,” you add hastily and she slowly nods.

Jisoo inhales before continues with a, “I don’t like how you lay them out so easily.  You know I’m very persistent about keeping him and how I’m always in denial about everything.”  She chuckles in contradiction to her expression and revert her gaze to somewhere far.  The way her breath hitched and how she seems to be dwelled in perplexity hits you.  “It’s pretty confusing isn’t it?  Being in love.”

You see how she tries so hard to hide the prick behind her eyes and feel the guilt slowly eating you.  Partially admitting that you’ve been so indifference toward her, you rewind back the times when you feel so little sympathy over her feelings.  You are never the person to care about people’s feeling, but apparently, applying the idea to your best friend is a bit too much.  Reaching out to her side of the table, you seat closer and thought; no—not in the canteen, she can cry wherever but the image of her bursting out to tears right now is just—no.  “Jisoo are you okay?” you reassures, getting a closer look of her who only blinks her eyelashes numerous of time. 

Never been so good,” Jisoo sniffs and this time you’re the one to be exasperated.

“Don’t cry here it’s not funny,” you pinch and nudge her sleeve.

“Do you think it is?” she hisses and breaks the contact.  After another series of blinking, Jisoo recollects herself and sternly whispers you a, “Good ancestor, look he’s here—“

You turn back to find Jungkook marches in with his group of friend and occupies some seats in an adjacent line, a bit far from where Jisoo and you sit. Gaze not leaving his motion, you observe how contrast the difference of state between him and Jisoo.  That would make him either a jerk or plain dense.  Jisoo sure as hell has bombarded him with countless messages and one of those must be about her asking for an explanation as to why he had been ignoring her for a week.  If you were him, you’d be at least a little triggered, to finally be presented in one place with the one you have been avoiding all this time.  But he is doing okay, like nothing ever happened—you forwardly wonder if he’s not ever bothered by anything that happened around him. 

You are about to stop your observation when Jungkook stands up from his seat and lands his eyes in all victory at you.  His gaze looks menacing and it sends chill down to your spine, he sure acknowledges that you’ve been spying on him moments before.  And one that causes you to hastily turn around, grab Jisoo up and make your way out of the canteen is how he slips a hostile smile after his intimidation. 

Whatever, Jungkook—you don’t want to know. 

 

 


 

 

Don’t weep at the bus.

You tap the send button with a worried fume, thinking about Jisoo after you sent her off approximately fifteen minutes ago.  You’re running late on your way to the next class but you’d let this pass once because you feel the urgency to make sure Jisoo doesn’t trip on her way to the main gate.  After the unintended meeting with Jungkook at the canteen, she was really overwhelmed and talked barely few lines at the class.  You didn’t know how to respond to that though, so you also keep quiet for the whole time, not wanting a single sentence to even worsen her state.  Jisoo is right—being in love sure is confusing.  A moment you’d get diabetes mellitus from the saccharine and a moment later you’d be choke by the amount of the taciturn. 

Brushing off the thoughts, you hold tighter onto the strap of your bag and climb the stairs to the classroom.  Once you reached the doorway, you stopped momentarily and take an idle breathe to muster up your nerve.  You’re late for thirty minutes already, surpassing the time limit that the Professor has on his rules.  It’s a generic subject and you know it all too well that rules are more strict in these kinds of classes.  Biting your lip, you’re about to turn the doorknob when it swings to your side by itself, sending you to tumble back in surprise.  Jungkook exchange a glance with you and you’re glued on the ground.  Good, as the last thing you'd want to see today is him.  

Struggling to get your together, you're about to move on from the fleeting shock but stop when you heard a, "Can I talk to you?" from your back and spin around to see Jungkook already switching his gaze to the hallway, casually vanishing from your peripheral.  His wood scent lingers around the humid air of the hallway and you thought if only his amiability lasts as long as the scent of his perfume, maybe you’d dislike him less. And it finally dawns on you after quite some time as you scrunch your nose in disbelief.

Did he just say he wants to talk to you?