Strangers Again

Just Us Two

 

 

I felt someone shake my shoulder and saw the stewardess stand across me  “Excuse me miss, please fasten your seatbelt. We’ll be landing in a few minutes” looking from my window, I can already see the tall english building peeking. Wow, the view from my seat is incredible. I fixed myself and fastened my seatbelt. Am I really seeing London? I’ve been out of the country couple of times but it has always been my dream to roam around Europe and see London in person. As much as I’m excited that I’m finally here, my trip is all business. The pilot welcomed the passengers over the intercom as soon as the plane landed. Suddenly, I felt anxious. Here I am in London for work not to mention my work includes Joong Ki. Thank goodness he left for London a day earlier and we don’t need to torture ourselves by being on the same flight. I have no idea how this trip will go about or if this is a good idea, to begin with.

 

I managed to get out of immigration without any hassle as I only have a suitcase with me. The big clock on the wall says it’s just 10 in the morning and Heathrow isn’t too crowded yet. I took out my phone and checked the address Mina saved on my phone. I looked around the place as I figure my way out. I remembered Mina instructing me to give Joong Ki a call as soon as I landed but I’d rather not. I moved towards the direction where people mostly go. Not far from where I am, I can already see welcome banners and excited faces as they wait for their beloved. At the far end of the corner, something caught my attention. I squint my eyes twice just to check if I’m seeing it correctly. Standing is a man with my name on it.

 

“Miss Hye Kyo” he greeted not long after he recognized me “Mr. Song sent me to pick you up” he said, answering the silent question I had on my face.

 

“Oh...is that so?” I wanted to say no but felt bad for the man and ended up giving my suitcase when he asked for it.

 

“Uh please take me to this address” I showed him the address Mina saved on my phone right before I got in the car and he just nodded in response. The drive was quiet and comfortable. The traffic was bearable and it gave me some time to appreciate the beauty of the city. It’s Sunday here and there’s quite a huge sea of people on the street. I took my camera out to capture some buildings. We passed by the notorious bridge and it really is beautiful in person. The car stopped in front of an apartment and I opened the door to step out. The neighborhood seemed peaceful and the street exudes the style of old english. The apartments, stretching as far as down the hill, are all identical in style except for the different color palette. Suddenly I recognize the place. It’s the same neighborhood I saw from the movie Notting Hill. Yes, this must be it! The notorious neighborhood of Notting Hill. I smiled in fascination at the sight before me and took a picture for remembrance.

 

“I’m sorry, may I know your name?” I asked realizing that we’ve already arrived and I still have no idea who he is.

 

“It’s Tom, Miss. Please head inside, Mr. Song should be there by now” Did he just say Mr. Song? Mina and I have been both busy prior this and had not asked any details about my trip. I even had no idea where I’m staying until I checked my phone to see for myself. I was supposed to ask Mr. Tom what he meant but he was already inside the car.

 

“Are you coming inside or not?” I heard Joong Ki’s voice from my back. Shoot, it’s really him! I turned towards the door and saw him holding my luggage that Mr. Tom had placed earlier. He’s wearing a sweater and sweatpants but he looks..Okay stop it Hye Kyo. I told myself to start moving now because it’s so awkward now but I just can’t seem to move my feet. He opened the door wider to signal me to come over. Finally, I found my footing and start to move until I heard my stomach grumble.

 

I heard Joong Ki laugh and gave him my sharp glare when I reached the foyer. “Even from here, I can already guess you’re hungry from the look on your face. Lunch is ready, to your right is the kitchen”

 

“Uh...do we have a scheduled shoot today?” I just needed to get my curiosity out. I don’t know what he’s doing here and I know for sure that the shoot will start not until tomorrow.

 

“It’s tomorrow, right? You made the schedule and sent me a copy” Exactly. So what is he doing here? OMO. It’s not it right? This isn’t his place?

 

“....then what are you doing here?” I fished for the answer even though I already have a strong feeling. He smirked at me and went straight to the kitchen. He poured himself a glass of water and popped a bite in his mouth. “So…?”

 

“What?” he just gave me an unknowing look when my phone rang. It’s Mina. Shoot I haven’t informed her that I have arrived safely.

 

“Yaaaa! Would it hurt to give me a call just to inform me that  you have arrived safely?” I winced at her scolding.

 

“I’m so sorry. It’s just that something came up” I glanced nervously to Joong Ki who was just comfortably listening to my conversation. He just softly chuckled at me when I rolled my eyes at him.

 

“What came up? Anyhow, tell me all about it later.  The gallery just opened and I just called to check on you” I felt my heart melt at Mina’s statement. She truly is like family to me. She worries like a mother sometimes. No scratch that. Most of the time, if not always “Are you at oppa’s place now? I’m sorry I forgot to mention that you’ll be staying at his place. All nearby hotels are fully booked now because of the carnival festival. I’m beyond grateful that he offered his place” beyond grateful??? I badly want to throw that question to her right now. So it’s true then, this is his place. I just blew my hair at her statement and out of frustration.

 

“Hmmm, it’s fine” of course it’s not! But I can’t tell her that. Ugh how annoying. I wish I could share how I’m feeling except I have no idea how. Besides, he introduced us as strangers, didn’t he?  “I got to his place safe and sound”

 

“Is he there? May I just have a word, if that’s okay?” I glanced at his direction and he’s now sitting down at the dining table. He looked up when he sensed that I’m looking at him.

 

“Mina wants a word with you” I extended the phone towards him. I quickly removed my hand when I felt his hand.

 

“Hello?” he greeted Mina and stepped away from my hearing range. I spent this time to check the place out. The apartment flaunts a theme of all white with a hint of black. One would immediately notice that the apartment belongs to a man. Jeez Hye Kyo, the apartment alone would tell you that this is Joong Ki’s! Across me is the stairs with glass railings that leads to the second floor.

 

“Here” I slightly jumped at the voice “Sorry, I didn’t mean to startle you”

 

“It’s fine!” I said nonchalantly and quickly took my phone from his hand.

 

“Do you wish to see your room now or do you want to have some lunch first?” I can sense that he is trying so hard to hide his nervousness.

 

“I’d like to settle in first if you don’t mind” he led me upstairs and opened the second door.

 

“Thank you” I gave a small smile and entered the room. The bed is well made but it looks like it hasn’t been used for years.

 

“Just go down after you’ve settled in”  he closed the door and left me to my privacy. I sat down at the end of the bed but ended up lying down when I felt the fatigue take over my body. I gave a long yawn and closed my eyes for a moment.

 

---

 

“Hye Kyo, please open the door” the knocking continued and so did my weeping.

 

“Joong Ki just leave me alone, please. I don’t want to see you” I closed my eyes and soothed my heart from the pain.

 

“Please, Hye kyo please” he pleaded and I heard the desperation from his voice “Baby, please. I’m not leaving until you talked to me”

 

“Stay there all you want but I’m not seeing you”

 

“What you saw...it’s not what you think. Please let me explain” his voice already hoarse from crying which stung my heart even more.

 

Oh dear god what should I do? I took a deep breath and wiped my tears. My eyes felt so heavy from all the crying but I’ve decided to just end this misery once and for all. Joong Ki was sitting down, his back supported by the wall and his head bowed down. He looked up as soon as I opened the door and I felt my heart torn a thousand times when I saw how dejected his face was. Immediately, he grabbed me in for a hug. I didn’t have the energy to push him away so I just stood there, unmoving.

 

“Joong Ki, let’s not hurt ourselves any longer. Shall we?” he shook his head and hugged me tighter.

 

“No please don’t say that. Nothing happened, it’s not what you think is. Please believe me”

 

“I’m not buying any of your bull, so just stop now please. For both of our sakes” I tried to get away from his embrace but he’s too strong “Joong Ki, please. There’s no point anyway. I don’t think I can go on with this relationship, not even if you tell me nothing happened” slowly he released me from his hold. His eyes are puffed out from crying as well and he looked hellish.

 

“No, you’re only saying that because you think something happened and you’re hurting. But I swear to all the gods out there that nothing happened”

 

I shook my head and let out a deep sigh “Whether something happened or not, I want to end it here. Let’s end it here while there’s still love and respect left”

 

I immediately stepped back when he moved towards me “What does that suppose to mean?”

 

“It means that it’s over between us two” he inhaled sharply at my words and my tears started falling from this heartbreaking moment. Not once have I imagine that Joong Ki and I would be in this situation. We were so happy and in love just a few weeks ago and now….

 

“Just tell me one thing. And I want you to be honest…..” he looked at me straight in the eyes and I blankly stared at his eyes “Do you really think that I cheated on you?”

 

I closed my eyes at his question as my tears continued falling.“I don’t know” was all I can mutter. I pondered at his question but ended up shaking my head “What I know is that you were drunk dead in bed, , and with a woman…...who’s as well”

 

“But you won’t believe me that nothing happened???? Don’t you trust me?”

 

I laughed at what he said “Seriously??? You’re not in a position to ask me that, are you??? If you catch me in bed, with a man and I tell you that nothing happened, would you believe me?”

 

He fell silent and that was enough to prove my point “Get out” I turned my back and went inside my room but Joong Ki held my wrist.

 

“I understand where you’re coming from but you have to believe me, please Hye Kyo”

 

“Joong Ki even if I believe you, I don’t think I can still continue with this relationship. So please, just stop”  I tugged my wrist away from his hold and closed the door. I leaned my full weight at the door and cried an ocean.

 

---

 

I woke up from that bad dream and wiped the small tears that had formed the side of my eyes. I sat up and cupped my face. It’s all in the past now Hye Kyo. All in the past, I reminded myself. I snickered at the situation I’m in. Ironic how I remind myself that it’s all in the past now but that past is currently in my present. Phew! Funny how life can be. I glanced at the side table and was surprised to see that I’ve slept for four hours. It’s already past four in the afternoon. I stood up and took a quick shower. Afterward, I went downstairs as I felt the intensity of my starvation. I felt relieved when I sensed that Joong ki was not home and went straight to the kitchen.

 

I screamed my heart out when I saw a woman in the kitchen “I’m sorry madam, I didn’t mean to scare you”

 

“I’m sorry too, I just didn’t know I had company” she smiled at me and gestured for me to sit down. The woman is on her mid-40s and I’m guessing she’s the household help.

 

“Joong Ki just went down the Portobello market to get some goods. He told me to fix you a nice dinner because you missed your lunch. I guess the flight exhausted you a lot, huh”

 

“Thank You, Ms….”

 

“It’s Chessy, Madam” she answered cheerfully.

 

“Oh no please, just call me Hye Kyo. And thank you for the food Chessy” a comfortable silence filled the air as she finished fixing the table and I inhaled the smell of the food.

 

“Please join me, I can’t finish all this”  I may be starving, but I don’t think I can finish a full course meal.

“I’m good Hye Kyo. Besides, Joong Ki should be here shortly. There must be a lot of people in the market since the festival is in two days”

 

“Is that the carnival festival?” I asked when I remembered Mina mentioning the carnival festival earlier.

 

“Yes. Tourists from all over the place flock at this time to witness the festival. It’s good that you visited with Joong Ki. It’s his favorite time of the year and I’m glad this time he has company” I just politely smiled at her because I don’t know how to respond.  

 

“Oh good, you’re here now. Join Hye Kyo, she just started eating” Joong ki entered the kitchen and gave the paper bag he’s holding to Chessy.

 

I immediately resumed eating when he glanced at my direction and he took the seat across me “Were you able to take a rest?”

 

“Hmm” I gave a short answer without looking at him

 

“How’s the market?” asked Chessy as she fixed the food that Joong Ki got.

 

“It was fine. Full of people as usual. I think this year is a little crowded but then I wouldn’t know since it’s been years the last time I’ve been here for the festival” Joong Ki and Chessy continued conversing about the festival and I used the time to finish my meal quietly.

 

“You should take your girlfriend to the market tonight” I choked at Chessy’s words and Joong Ki quickly offered me a glass of water. He rubbed my back and was grateful for the glass of water.

 

“Oh sweetie, are you okay?” I’m not! I wanted to tell her but I just smiled at her to assure her I’m perfectly fine.

 

“I’m not his ----”

 

“Ms. Chessy I think you should go now. It’s getting dark and the crowd is starting to get thicker” Joong Ki cut me off and for some reason, it annoyed me.

 

“Oh yes, you’re right. I should get going. It was nice meeting you, sweetie” she gave me a hug after Joong Ki and headed for the door. From their exchange, I can tell that Chessy must be like a family to Joong Ki now.

 

As soon as we were left alone, I grabbed my plate and washed the dishes “Do you want to see go see the market? It’s crowded but we might be occupied with the shoot the following days so….”

 

“It’s fine, I’m good” after washing them off, one by one I wiped the utensils dry.

 

“You like it here. I remember you wanted to go see London yourse ---”

 

“Not anymore” I did not let him finish. I don’t even understand why he’s bringing that up now but I don’t want to drag the conversation either.

 

“Hmm, I see. Chessy is right though, Portobello at night is a sight to see. It’s just a few block away from here if you’d want to check that out”

“No thank you” I answered and placed the last piece of utensils inside the drawer.

 

“Did I do something wrong? Or have said anything that offended you?” Joong ki creased his forehead, his usual expression when he can’t comprehend the situation.

 

“What do you mean?” I asked innocently.

 

“I mean…” he shrugged his shoulders and paused for awhile as he carefully chooses for his answer “you were completely fine talking with Chessy awhile ago. Then suddenly you act like you can’t stand me”

 

“Oh, are we supposed to act friendly?” I know that he’s trying to hold his patience. Joong Ki is the type of person who doesn’t get pissed easily but I can see that I’m about to provoke him.

 

“I guess so since it’s just us for the next two days?” he answered nicely, still not giving in. Wow, he must be really holding it back. As a matter of fact, it’s me who’s more moody and short tempered compared to him. For some odd reason, I find it amusing to test his patience today.

 

“My apologies, I didn’t get the memo” I shrugged nonchalantly “just thought it’s strange to act friendly in front of a stranger”

 

He pressed his lips, trying to suppress his annoyance “Strangers…I guess that’s where we are now huh?”

 

I pouted my lip before answering “Didn’t you insist that we’re strangers before?”

 

He paused for a moment, thinking about what I just said then huffed as he shook his head and placed his hands on his waist “Wow. I didn’t know you hold grudges” he chuckled softly and continued speaking “I did say we haven’t met at the party because I clearly saw you flustered from seeing me. Also, I figured Mina doesn’t know about us and deep down you were panicking with the idea of telling her that I’m your ex. Correct?”

 

I went still with what he just said. I was surprised by his bluntness. I feel my cheeks go red and I want to punch myself right now. Gosh Hye Kyo, you’re so immature! What were you thinking with this attitude??? I closed my eyes from disappointment when he spoke “You know what forget it. You’re right, we’re just strangers” with that he left and stormed out of the kitchen.

 

 

-----------------------------------------

My deepest apologies for being MIA for so long. School is finally over!!! Hooray for me hahahaha. Anyhow, I hope you guys like this chapter and don't hate hye kyo for her attitude LOL. I'm missing the two so bad :( Stay tuned for more chingus! :)