Fresh Old Wound

Just Us Two

 

I woke up from the sound of my phone ringing endlessly. I rubbed my eyes and reached for my phone on the side table. Still dazed from sleep, I didn’t bother to check the caller and answered the call “Hello?”

 

“Yaaaaa” Judging from the voice, I already knew who was calling. did I oversleep? I checked my clock at the side table and noted that it’s already six in the morning “Where are you? Did you forget that we have a 7 am shoot?”

 

“Yes! I’m on my way!” I didn’t wait for her reply and immediately went straight to the washroom to get myself clean. In just 15 minutes, I was already out of my house and on my way to the shoot. Wow, I never would have thought that I can fix myself this fast.

 

Thank goodness it only took me 20 minutes to get to the shoot’s location. I was still panting when I reached the place. “Geez. What took you so long?” Mina questioned me the moment I got inside the studio “Thanks for the coffee, dear” she said as she took the coffee in my hand. Mina is my best friend slash defender slash only living family. Well, we’re not officially blood-related but she’s like a sister to me even though we’ve known each other for only 3 years now. We’ve met at an art festival in Seoul. She used to be a model but her heart lies in photography and decided to pursue that path instead. She modeled for me once and that’s how we became close. Currently, Mina and I run a small studio in Gangnam. Originally, my craft is only limited to conceptual photography but since I needed to survive, I’ve widened my genre to fashion, advertising and now we have clients for events as well.

 

“I’m so sorry Mina. I think the event last night wore me out” I explained while trying to win her heart with my pouty face.

 

“Tsk” she smirked at my action “I’ll let this pass just this once since you brought me coffee, which is smart by the way” I beamed at her, half relieved that she’s letting my tardiness pass but I know Mina. There’s always a catch. I might not be receiving her motherly scolding today, but she won’t let me slide this fast. “ You owe me one and I’ll think of something” she smiled sweetly at me and I knew that something may not be towards my liking. I can’t help but sigh at her antics. I followed her and prepared myself for the shoot.

 

At exactly 12 noon, the photo shoot has concluded. Mina left 30 minutes before noon because of an emergency and so I was left to finish the shoot and pack the things we have used. I went back to our studio because we have tons of paperwork waiting for us. I stopped by a convenience store to grab some kimbap and ramen to fill my lunch.

 

I busied myself with all the papers we have to finish for our clients. I hadn’t realized that it was already 4 in the afternoon when Mina called “I’m sorry I left you on your own to finish the shoot. Are you still in the office?”

 

“Yes, and it was nothing. Is everything okay?” I asked worriedly

 

“Yeah. It’s just another family drama. Nothing serious” I heard her sigh and sensed her eyes rolling. She comes from an affluent family, which I happen to discover not so long ago. It’s not that she tried to hide that fact from me, but she was just trying to live a low profile. Her parents did not approve her modeling career or her desire to pursue photography but Mina has a carefree personality and did what she wanted anyway. She has come a long way proving her parents that she will excel at her own craft and she is doing a very good job at it. I’m not saying this because she’s my business partner nor best friend but because she really has an eye of an artist. In fact, I feel blessed to have met her and putting up a photography studio with her has done both of our careers wonder. “Anyhow, I owe you one for that”

 

“Mina seriously are we friends or business partner?” I asked with annoyance. There are two things Mina can’t stand - owing people gratitude and pitying her. I understand that because I agree with her on that note but we’re friends, aren’t we? “Don’t even start arguing with me. It’s fine. I’ll see you tom” I finished before she could even mutter any reasoning.

 

“Fine. Don’t go to work tom, I can finish where you left off. Besides we have a party to attend to so might as well get yourself a good night rest”

 

“What are you up to?” I sat up straight waiting expectantly for her answer. I hate attending parties and Mina knows it. Very much. She’s so accustomed to it because she’s been attending parties, may it be for charity or business, ever since she was a toddler “You know those things are not my thing”

 

“I know. But it’s not what you think it is. Nothing formal or business-like, I promise” she immediately replied “It’s just another family event and I happen to not have any for that matter”

 

I sigh in defeat. Mina has anxiety when it comes to family gatherings. She never attends one without her boyfriend as her . She just needs that little company to keep her from her nosy relatives. Except she doesn’t have any to keep her company because she’s been single for almost a year now. I understood the depth of her request. This time she cannot miss the event tom, whatever it is. And now the drama she was talking about earlier made sense “Just because I love you, I’ll say yes”

 

“Good. I’m not taking no for an answer anyway” I can sense her smile from the other line “besides, this one is for your tardiness this morning”

 

I can’t help but smile at what she said. Of course, she boldly asked me this because she knew it wouldn’t come out as a favor or anything “Okay. Got it”

 

“See you at 6 tomorrow and please go home and get some rest”

 

“It’s not even five yet but if you insist.” I hear her giggle at the other end of the line “I think I do need to catch some sleep”

 

I hadn’t realized that I was this tired until I yawned “Alright you take care okay? I love you” she finished then hung up.

 

-----------------------------------------

 

At exactly 5 in the afternoon, Mina picked me up at my place “What? Is there anything wrong with how I look? I panicked the moment I saw her huge grin on her face.

 

“Relax” she laughed at my reaction “there’s nothing wrong with how you look. If anything, you look gorgeous” she eyed my midi halter black dress.

 

I can’t help but laugh at her remark “Seriously no need for the compliment honey. I’m accompanying you already, aren’t I?

 

“Haist. You don’t really know how to take a compliment, do you?” she raised her brows at me and shook her head as she focused on the road.

 

We arrived at her parent’s mansion 10 minutes before six “What’s up anyways?” I asked before we head out of her car.

 

“A relative came home from the states. It’s the first time we’re all complete like this” we entered the main door and was greeted by a sea of people. “Here we go” Mina whispered as she took a deep breath beside me. She’s not fond of any familial affairs. In fact, she loathes the socializing that comes with it. She knew that everything is just a front. If not for the money and business, they would not have to see each other. As for Mina’s family, everything is a business transaction and she hates it. I lightly squeezed her forearms to assure her that everything will be alright.

 

“Aigoo. Here come my beautiful granddaughters” greeted Mina’s grandmother and kissed each of our cheeks. I may not be close with Mina’s family but I adore her Halmeoni. Mina is her favorite and has always been supportive of her dreams despite it being against her parent’s wish. Also, Halmeoni treats me like her own granddaughter. Sometimes, Mina would even joke about how she’s jealous of Halmeoni’s affection towards me “I thought you two won’t be able to make it. Come now! Let’s feed you two. Everyone’s already here” she enthusiastically motioned us towards the garden and was greeted by more people. Wow, I had no idea Mina’s clan was this big.

 

Sensing my surprise reaction “Don’t worry they’re not all first generation. It extends all the way down to the third” she smirked at me.

 

We paid our respect to her parents, aunts, uncles and grandparents, which took forever. As soon as we finished, we headed to our table located at the right side of the garden. There are three cousins of Mina seated at our table when we arrived. The two women are younger than us while the other male is a few years older than us “Oppa this is Hye Kyo my best friend” Mina introduced me to his male cousin and I bowed out of respect.

 

“Oh please don’t do that,” he said as he extended his arm for me to shake “I’m not like them who’s sensitive to formalities and traditions. I’m Hyun Sik” he smiled and I reached for his hand to shake.

 

“Nice to meet you” I smiled back and took my seat.

 

“So, I heard you two are business partners? How’s your studio doing?” he asked while we’re in the middle of munching our food. There was an awkward silence and so I lift my head to find out why Mina wasn’t answering. That’s when I realized that the question was directed at me and there was no Mina seated beside me to answer.

 

“Oh, I’m sorry. I thought you were asking Mina” I quickly replied as soon as I realized that he’s been staring at me, waiting for an answer “So far so good. Everything is smooth sailing”

 

“That’s good to hear” he gave me a small smile and wiped his mouth with the napkin “Actually I heard a lot about you” he did? That caused me to raise an eyebrow at him and he just laughed at my surprised reaction “If you’re wondering, Mina and I are actually close. We talk about everything and she spoke about you most of the time. If I’m not mistaken, she spoke highly of you”

 

“Please don’t believe anything she says" I seriously want to drag Mina and ask what her cousin is talking about.

 

“Why not? I’ve seen your portfolio” you what? It’s the first time I met him and I had no idea if he’s playing around or he actually saw my works. But how? I haven’t met any of Mina’s cousin aside from his two brothers “It’s impressive if I may add”

 

“I’m sorry to ask this but” before I could finish he interrupted me.

 

“You had a photo gallery a couple of months ago right?” Oh, that. But still, I don’t remember seeing him there “You already left when I visited your gallery” he answered the question on my mind.

 

Oh, I see. I blushed at his compliment. Mina’s right, I can’t take compliments well. In fact, I hate receiving one. I don’t know why but for some reason I’m just not comfortable with it. “Oh please, it’s not that impressive. I’m sure you’ve seen far better portfolio than mine” I shrugged his compliment.

 

“Tsk. Why are you looking down on yourself?” before I get to answer we were interrupted by Mina’s arrival along with two other people.

 

“Hyun Sik Oppa, Joong Ki oppa is here” Mina announced rather excitedly while I went still at the mention of the name. No, this can’t be. It must be a different Joong Ki. Of course, it’s a different Joong Ki. Why on earth would it be the same Joong Ki? “Are you okay?” Mina asked as she sensed my reaction “Joong Ki oppa this is Hye Kyo, my best friend”

 

Nervously, I turned to face him and froze for the second time. It really is him. The Joong Ki I knew too well. The Joong Ki who broke my heart four years ago and left me broken until now.

 

-----------------------------------------

 

“Goodness gracious are you okay?” Mina touched my arms then my forehead “You look so pale, did you not eat?” I gave her a small smile and nod my head to tell her I’m fine. For some reason, I couldn’t find my voice. I was too stunned to even blink. I had no idea how he reacted because Mina already pulled me to sit down and offered me water before I could respond to her introduction. How on earth did I not know that Mina is related to Joong Ki? I've seen Mina's whole family and some of her relatives like Halmeoni but the rest of her clan I've seen only tonight like Hyun Sik and Joong Ki. I recalled that Joong Ki's parents never approved of our relationship most especially her mother. This might sound so cliche but the disapproval has something to do with my financial situation. Joong Ki is one of the most eligible bachelor in town and I'm just my mother's daughter. I was traumatized the first time I had lunch with his family because his mother made sure that I knew how much she disapproves. That is also the reason why I never met any of his relatives. I've never really believed in the saying the world is small but after tonight, I realized that the world is indeed small and is probably about to get smaller.

 

I was busy calming my nerves and my heartbeat when I sensed someone staring at me. Judging from my peripheral view, I knew that he was looking at me. I didn't have the courage to look at his direction because I don't know how I'll react if I happen to make eye contact with him. “You seem surprised Hye Kyo” Hyun Sik pulled me from my thoughts causing me to look at him “Do you guys happen to know each other?”

 

My pupils dilated with his question but before I could answer, Joong Ki already did “No. This is the first time” he answered like it was a stupid question, to begin with. What??? Did he just say this is our first time meeting?? I’m not sure if I felt betrayed or angry but I can’t deny the fact that his answer stopped Mina and Hyun Sik from asking further questions.

 

The evening went by and I sat quietly. I listened to their conversation and gave short answers when needed. I never looked at his direction when I have to give my answer and he acted like I'm a total stranger anyway. The moment he arrived, I wanted to flee the area because I don’t think I could stand to be in the same room as he, let alone be seated at the same table. But I couldn’t find a reasonable excuse that won’t raise any suspicion for Mina and so I decided to endure the uncomfortable situationfor a little more. I’m not sure if it was a good idea but I have learned a lot about Joong Ki’s activities for the past years. He went to London and finished his masters in Economics. Wow so he finally did it, I thought to myself. I found out that he’s already actively participating in their business and he’s actually back now in Korea for good. The conversation jumped from Hyun Sik’s adventure in Los Angeles to Mina’s pursuit of her career in photography. I checked my phone for the time and it read 8:30 pm. I was about to inform Mina that I’ll go ahead since it looked like she missed her cousins so much and needs some catching up when the topic of their conversation went from Mina’s career to Joong Ki’s love life. I stopped picking at the salad in front me and stared at my plate, waiting for his answer. “So how long has it been now?" asked Hyun Sik “You and Seolhyun? Two? Three?

 

“Four” he corrected him. I felt like the whole weight of the world fell on my back and my heart felt so heavy. I know we've been over for four years now and should not be bothered by the fact that he has someone new. I may not understand why I'm feeling hurt by that fact but it's the truth. It’s been a long time the last time I felt this kind of pain. It’s only now I realized how deep and fresh the wound he left in my heart. It’s been four years Hye Kyo, I reminded myself. From the tone of his voice, he seemed like he has moved on. And did you not hear him? He said four. He’s in a relationship for four years now. The same amount of time you left. I guess your decision to leave was right after all. You chose to love yourself first Hye Kyo and there’s nothing wrong with that. I gave my heart a light pat to calm it.

 

I took a deep breath and for some reason, I suddenly found my voice that I lost the entire time since he came “Mina, I’m sorry to interrupt but do you mind if I go ahead?”

 

“What? Do you really have to go this early?” she asked.

 

I’ve wanted to leave the moment he got here but of course, I couldn’t tell her that. She has no idea that Joong Ki and I shared a past and I don’t see any reason to tell her either since he claimed to have met me just now “Yes. I’m really sorry” I looked at her eyes, pleading for her to stop asking questions which she did.

 

“Alright” she sighed, “As much as I want to leave with you, it’s still early and you know that Halmeoni won’t let me”

 

I nodded in understanding “Of course. And besides, I won’t let you leave as well. You guys need to catch up” I squeezed her arms and faced Hyun Sik and somehow Joong Ki since they’re both seated together “It was nice meeting you guys. I’ll go ahead now. You guys enjoy”


I bid my goodbye to Halmeoni and Mina’s parents and went straight home. I had no idea my eyes are still capable of producing tears when I cried myself to sleep.

 

-----------------------------------------

 

Author's Notes: 

Chapter one is finally done! Please let me know what you guys think and stay tuned for the next chapters to come :)