002

W(h)enrene Fight

When Seungwan called, Joohyun instantly thought that her wife must have forgotten to bring her lunch. But then she realized how meticulous Seungwan is and that she’s the forgetful one between the two of them (even though she will never admit that out loud), so it couldn’t possibly be the case. After learning what the phone call was about, she continued cleaning the living room. Her little sister, Jisoo, was coming over on her term break and Joohyun felt the need to make the house look spotless, so that Jisoo wouldn’t have the chance to try to paint her as an incompetent wife in front of their parents when they visit Daegu in three days.

Joohyun’s worries were not without reason. Having known Jisoo all her life, she learned pretty fast about her sister’s mischievous streak. They’re both obedient daughters, never had any school, dating, or other kinds of problems. But while Joohyun was the prim one, Jisoo always seemed to find a way to cause extra headache for their parents. Looking back, maybe it was her way to express her frustration of always being compared to Joohyun.

Joohyun smiled fondly at the memory and realized how much she miss her sister. Just when she was about to put a stack of magazines under the coffee table, the doorbell rang, making her easily surprised self jumped at the sound. Thinking that Seungwan’s package had arrived, she went ahead and opened the door.

“Hi, Unnie!” Jisoo flailed her arms in front of her sister who had her hand on her chest.

“You scared me!”

She chuckled. “Still the frail old granny, I see. You haven’t even hit 30, Unnie. Act your age, please.”

“Why, this little—“ Joohyun restrained herself. “What are you doing here? You’re supposed to come tomorrow! You know I hate surprises.”

“Which is exactly why I did this. How are you, ‘Our Lovely Joohyun Unnie’?” Jisoo put her hands on her cheeks and tried to look cute, but it only made Joohyun want to puke. She once saw the name Seungwan used for Joohyun’s number when they were still dating and Jisoo hadn’t let Joohyun lived that down.

“I can kill you in your sleep, you know.”

Jisoo shook her head confidently. ”Nope, you can’t. You love me too much to do that.”

“That’s true, unfortunately,” Joohyun’s eyes softened. “Come here, you little punk.”

The sisters hugged so tight, they both could barely breathe. “I missed you so much, Unnie. How are things going around here? How is Seungwan Unnie?”

“We’re doing just fine,” they released the hug, but held onto each other closely. “And you? I hope you’re studying hard over there.”

Jisoo waved her hand, dismissing Joohyun’s words. “Don’t worry about it. You’re looking at a future ad exec here.”

“I still can’t believe that you chose your college major because of Mad Men. If Mom and Dad knew, they’d be crying for days.”

“Feel free to tell them when I’m already an agency big shot. No need to worry, I love my major. I’ll study well and make you guys proud. Just wait and see.”

Joohyun’s heart swelled with love and pride. “Dang it, why did you grow up so fast? You’re going to make me cry.”

Her sister gave her a serious look. “Unnie, we know how ugly you are when you cry and as a former Daegu ulzzang, you have a reputation to hold. So please, don’t.”

“Any last words?”

Jisoo quickly pinched Joohyun’s nose. “I’m kidding! Everybody knows you’re so beautiful, it’s almost nauseating. Seungwan Unnie hit the jackpot,” she peered over her sister’s shoulder while Joohyun gave her an eye roll. “Aren’t you going to invite me in?”

Joohyun sighed. “I don’t want to, but I have to. Come in.”

Jisoo feigned offense. “Ouch, that hurts.”

After taking her shoes off, Jisoo struggled with her coat while Joohyun had taken her bags and walked to the guest room.

The sight of a regular two-door fridge had never looked so majestic to Jisoo’s eyes. She yanked it open and found a bottle of orange juice. She took it without thinking twice even though she knew that it belong to her Seungwan Unnie. It’s better to ask for forgiveness than permission, she thought. Her logic seemed to have diminished on the verge of dehydration.

“Jisoo, have you— Hey! That’s Seungwan’s!” Joohyun wanted to snatch the bottle, but seeing how far Jisoo had tilted her head back with the bottle hovering above her lips, Joohyun knew that it would be pointless. “You better buy her a new one.”

“Of course, Unnie, of course. What kind of a woman do you think I am?” Jisoo threw the bottle into the trash and looked like she was finally going to live.

“A very intrusive one, for starters.”

As if staying true to Joohyun’s label, Jisoo rummaged the fridge once again. “Unnie, you got any food? I haven’t eaten anything.”

Joohyun started walking to the kitchen. “Didn’t you grab something on the way here?”

“I took the earliest train, spent the whole ride sleeping, and hurried here as soon as possible because I couldn’t wait to see and surprise you. I’m starving, Unnie. Please kindly help this poor college student.” The advertising major clasped her hand wholeheartedly like her life depend on it.

“Let me check—“

“Hold up. I saw a really cute cafe not far from here. Care to accompany me?”

Joohyun rolled up her sleeves. “I can whip something up real fast, though.”

“Seungwan Unnie isn’t here, right?”

“Yes. Why?”

Jisoo walked over to Joohyun and held her sister’s shoulder. “Then I’m not willing to take any risks because I still want to graduate.” Before Joohyun could protest, she continued, “Come on, Unnie. Please please please? Just a quick breakfast, yes?”

A pair of pleading eyes looked straight into Joohyun’s and she could feel her motherly instinct kicked in. A breakfast wouldn’t hurt, she thought. The moment Jisoo had started to flutter her eyelashes, Joohyun knew that she couldn’t refuse, so she laughed and pinched her sister’s cheeks. “Fine, let’s go.”

+ + +

Joohyun couldn’t remember the last time they both had breakfast like this. She wasn’t really a big fan of breakfast, either, but Seungwan changed that. Ever since they lived together, Seungwan never forgets to remind her about how breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Seungwan also knows about Joohyun’s fondness of cereal and never forgets to stock one of their cabinets with her wife’s favorite brands. Joohyun took a bite of her toast while thinking how unfortunate it was that Seungwan couldn’t come with them to Daegu.

“What did you get for Seungwan Unnie’s birthday?”

“Don’t talk with your mouth full, Bae Jisoo.” Jisoo rolled her eyes, but she chewed and swallowed her waffle thoroughly. “Matching onesies.”

“You’re kidding.”

Joohyun didn’t answer and started scrolling through her phone instead. Jisoo’s eyes went wide when she saw a photo of Joohyun and Seungwan with matching cute pose and yes, onesies. She swiped the screen and a photo of Seungwan wearing a Hamtaro onesie, grinning, and not looking the least bit embarrased, appeared.

“I can’t with the both of you.” Jisoo handed the phone back to Joohyun.

“You’re just jealous.” Joohyun moved her thumb across the screen and showed another photo to her sister who looked like she had lost her appetite.

Jisoo sighed. “Alright, alright. Put that away, I’m trying to eat in peace.”

Joohyun laughed and stuck her tongue out. “You asked.”

“Well, it’s because I haven’t given her anything. Give me some ideas, Unnie, come on.”

“Her birthday was a few months ago, you dumb dumb.”

Jisoo pouted. “I know! And I feel really, really guilty because of it.”

Joohyun tapped her sister’s forehead. “Hey, don’t worry your pretty little head. Seungwan doesn’t mind.”

“That’s only because she’s half saint. If it was you, you would’ve shunned me.”

“That’s true.”

They both fell silent for a while before Joohyun clapped and said, “I know! You can give her an all-you-can-eat voucher from her favorite tteokbokki place. She’ll love you for it.”

“That’s it? Seriously?”

“Seungwan is such a terrific gift giver and I know that I will never be on her level, so I simply gave up. Besides, however mundane my gift is, she always appreciates it like it’s a moon rock or something.”

“But you have an advantage, though.” Jisoo brought the last piece of her waffle to .

“How so?” Joohyun frowned. She was genuinely curious, because if it turned out to be true, then it would make it easier for her whenever she tries to find the perfect gift for Seungwan.

“As her wife, whenever you feel like running out of ideas you can just...” Jisoo winked. “You know.”

A confused look was plastered on her face when she’s trying to decipher Jisoo’s words and that awful wink. “What do you...”

Jisoo winked again. “You know.” The emphasis was not missed on Joohyun.

When everything clicked, Joohyun used all her might not to strangle her sister then and there.

“Bae Jisoo!” She said through gritted teeth.

Her mischievous little sister cackled and clapped like seal—a very erted one at that. Joohyun blamed herself, realizing that she should have known better.

“Okay, but I still have to bring something else. Cake? Flowers? I have to make a good impression.”

“I think it’s a tad bit too late for that.” Joohyun sipped her peppermint tea. “Just don’t forget the orange juice.”

Jisoo slapped her forehead. “You’re right! Okay, we’re going to the grocery store after this. We should buy something for Mom and Dad, too.”

Joohyun’s mind drifted to her favorite detergent and softener that had just run out today. She mentally started to make a list consisted of house supplies and trip necessities. Realizing that the list just kept on growing, she stood up from her seat and said, “We should really get going.”

+ + +

It started from the traditional market, when they bought every fresh produce imaginable.

(“My kimchi is to die for, Unnie. No, don’t laugh. I’m serious.”

“Really? Back then, you burnt fried rice and made sticky seaweed soup.”

“Hey, those dark days are gone. I’ll make a batch and you’ll be begging for more.”

“Fine, prove it. Just don’t burn the house down.”)

Joohyun looked at their hands, both filled with groceries. “Don’t you think we‘ve gone overboard? We’re not throwing a dinner party, you know.”

“Absolutely not. I’m going to cook some of my signature dish and I need all these babies.”

“Is the signature called ‘unpleasant taste’?”

“How rude. Unnie, I’m a changed woman. My food might not quite suit anybody’s taste—“

“Inedible,” Joohyun interjected.

“—ANYBODY’S TASTE a few years back, but this is the new and improved Chef Jisoo you’re looking at.”

Joohyun shifted the plastic bags to one hand just so she could free her fingers to flick Jisoo’s forehead. “Okay, Chef.” She glanced her wristwatch. “Hey, it’s almost lunch. We should go home.”

“But I haven’t bought Seungwan Unnie’s present and orange juice! And if you think about it, the timing’s perfect because the mall is up and running.”

Joohyun sighed at her forgetfulness. She knew that she should’ve reminded her sister not to spend too much time at the market. She shook her head and said, “Goodness, this always happens whenever we go shopping together.”

Jisoo nudged her sister’s arm. “Hey, don’t say it like I’m a bad influence. You know that you always enjoy every second of it.”

“Okay, but we got to move fast. We can’t leave these too long in the car or they will go bad.”

Jisoo tried to give a thumb up, but the weight of the groceries she was holding prevented her from doing so. She settled with a few nods and said, “Noted.”

+ + +

The sisters’ teamwork was admirable. They had agreed on the list of things they should buy on the way to the mall and both were committed to it. Jisoo filled her cart with everything they might need for the trip and Joohyun filled hers with various stuff that she knew her wife and the house would need. They met after 45 minutes near the ice cream section.

“You found everything?” Joohyun asked while peering into Jisoo’s cart.

Jisoo shuffled a few items. “Yep, the most important things are here.”

“Me, too. Let’s go.”

They were marching towards the cashier when Joohyun suddenly brought her feet to a halt when she was passing the medicine counter. She grabbed two bottles of Vitamin C, cough syrup, ointment, and some other things for Seungwan. She noticed that her wife wasn’t feeling well after having to work late for five days straight.

Jisoo, sensing that her older sister wasn’t catching up to her, turned around and found Joohyun to be nowhere in sight. She took a few steps before spotting the person she was looking for who was walking into an aisle lined with tissues, paper towels, and the likes.

“Joohyun Unnie! Where are you going?”

Joohyun turned her head to the sound and waited for Jisoo to get closer before answering. “Seungwan looks like she’s about to get sick and I just remembered to buy some things for her. You want to wait for me here?”

She saw bottles of medicine and somehow her heart warmed up. Must be nice to have someone close who will notice whenever my health is deteriorating. Damn it, these two are just so sweet. God, why am I single?

“Nope. I’ll come with you,” she followed Joohyun who stopped to grab a pack of wet wipes. “What else do you need?”

“I’m thinking of making a care package for her. I need energy bars, mint candy, bread, cheese sticks, and banana milk. I’ll also pack her some fresh fruits and kimbap before we go to Daegu.”

“Sounds great.”

+ + +

After finishing their second grocery shopping, Joohyun and Jisoo debated on whether they had to go home or if they could spare another hour to look for Seungwan’s present. Jisoo insisted on the second option because she thought that she wouldn’t be able to face her sister-in-law without giving her a birthday present—again.

They sat on a bench near the fountain inside the shopping mall and discuss the present for the sake of efficiency. After weighing the pros and cons of various items, Joohyun narrowed the options to three: a blue parka, a Ghibli DVD set, and running shoes.

“I’m going for the DVD set.”

Joohyun frowned. “Seriously?”

“She could watch the movies while we’re gone. That way she wouldn’t be bored.”

“That’s not what I mean. This morning you said that you were poor and when you told me about your budget, I almost smacked you for spouting nonsense.”

Jisoo wrapped her hand around her sister’s shoulder. “I’ve been saving for this special occassion, Unnie. Seungwan Unnie has given me so much and just consider this as a way to make up for all the gifts I couldn’t give to her in the past.”

“I told you, Seungwan doesn’t mind.”

“I know, but I want to.”

Joohyun ruffled Jisoo’s hair affectionately. “Okay, then. But why you never do something like this for me anyway?”

Jisoo kissed Joohyun’s cheek. “Because having me as a sister is a gift in itself, my dear Unnie.”

They were both drowned in laughter while Joohyun tried to put her sister in a headlock, lost in the feeling of sisterly bond and the familiarity of childhood memory, completely forgetting their mission to get back home as soon as possible.

And as the two sisters made their way to the DVD store, back in a neat, contemporary house located at one of the neighborhoods in Seoul, a delivery man with a box in hand kept ringing the bell, hoping for someone to come out and retrieve it. When he realized that nobody was home, he took his cellphone and punched a string of numbers that belong to the recipient of the package: Mrs. Son Seungwan.