001

W(h)enrene Fight

“Good morning, Son.”

Seungwan turned around and was surprised to see her best friend, Kang Seulgi, happily munching on Pringles this early in the morning. That particular sight almost popped her eyes out of the socket.

“What are you doing here?”

Seulgi gave a questioning look. “Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed? I work here, you know.”

Seungwan took off her blazer and slung it over her chair. “Not that, silly. It’s 8.10, you’re not supposed to be here yet.”

The taller girl shrugged. “I feel like starting off early today,” she put the lid back and stashed her beloved snack under the desk.

“Something happened,” Seungwan squinted. “Something definitely happened,” she walked over to Seulgi and crossed her arms. ”Spill it, Kang.”

Her request was met by two crescents that were Seulgi’s eyes and pearly whites that looked so blinding.

“Oh, I see how it is. We used to tell each other everything, but now you look like you just had the time of your life and you won’t even talk to me. You’ve changed,” Seungwan sighed dramatically. She was never one to pry and Seulgi knew that her Korean-Canadian best friend was just teasing her.

“Later, Son, but let me give you a hint,” seeing the mischievous glint in Seulgi’s eyes, one would think that she’s holding the secret to immortality. “It starts with an ‘S’.”

Seungwan knew what that meant and she held her right hand up. Seulgi laughed and gave her hamster of a friend a high five. “Nice, Kang. Finally, huh? I thought you’d spend the rest of your life staring.”

Before Seulgi could defend herself, Seungwan’s phone rang. “Wait a sec.” She snatched the phone and placed it on her left ear. “Hello?”

“Good morning. Is this Mrs. Son Seungwan?”

“Morning. Yes, this is she. Who is this?” Seungwan tried to put a name to the voice but couldn’t.

“I’m Kiho from SM Delivery. We want to inform you that your package will be delivered this afternoon and we’re really sorry for the delay.”

An audible sigh of relief escaped Seungwan’s lips. “It’s okay. I’ll make sure someone’s available to receive it. Thank you.”

“You’re very welcome, Ma’am. Thank you and have a nice day.”

Seungwan was too ecstatic about the arrival of her package that she didn’t even care about having to wait for almost two weeks as opposed to the usual three days. She immediately searched her wife’s number and couldn’t hit the “Call” button soon enough.

It took five rings before she heard the familiar voice that she could never get enough of. “Wan?”

“Hyunnie!” She could feel Seulgi curling her fingers and toes without even looking. After all these years, that fluffy best friend of hers still hadn’t exactly known how to handle the tiniest bit of PDA. “Do you have any plans this afternoon?”

She heard soft hum across the line. “I don’t think so, babe. Why?”

“I got a package arriving and just wanted to make sure that you’ll be home to receive it.”

“Did you buy baking supplies again? You don’t have to buy it online, Wannie. You know that Taeyeon Unnie’s shop has everything that you could possibly looking for.”

“It’s not baking supplies, I swear,” Seungwan plopped on her chair. “I’m serious, Hyun. You’ll see.”

“Fine, consider it done.”

Seungwan looked over to her bear-like friend. “Babe, Seulgi’s here. Can you believe it?” She dragged her chair so she could be closer to her. “Yeah, I’m putting you on speaker.”

“Joohyun!”

“Seul? You’re already at the office? For real?”

“No wonder you’re married to Seungwan. You’re both annoying,” she looked at Seungwan who was clearly trying to stifle a laugh. “I missed you, by the way.”

“And whose fault is that? I told to you come by every once in a while, but you never did. Just so you know, I have a stack of Pringles in case you ever consider this place not welcoming enough.”

Seulgi cooed. “Have you always been this considerate?”

Joohyun chuckled. “Maybe,” there was a quick pause before she said, “How are things with Sooyoung? Any progress?”

“Aaaaand back to annoying. Seriously, is it possible for you guys to keep any secrets from one another?”

Seulgi got a resounding “no” for an answer.

“You both are the worst. I’m giving the phone back to Seungwan. Hey, let’s meet up soon, Hyun, and you better get those Pringles ready.”

“You have my word. Just get your over here, Kang. I miss you and I can’t wait to see you!”

Seulgi handed the phone to its owner and watched Seungwan’s face beamed with happiness. Five years of dating, three years of being married, and Seungwan would always look like that whenever she talks to Joohyun—like she’s holding the world in her palm.

Well, in retrospect, maybe she is.

A smile crept to her face, knowing full well that she wanted the same thing, preferably with someone whose name Joohyun mentioned earlier.